You are Here:
Castle & Kingdom Playing cards deck (KS)

Author (Read 1099 times)

Castle & Kingdom Playing cards deck (KS)
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: Castle & Kingdom Playing cards deck (KS)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
I think the art is adorable, quirky and unique. I would have loved to see the pips follow on through the number cards. Looks like a fun deck.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I think the art is adorable, quirky and unique. I would have loved to see the pips follow on through the number cards. Looks like a fun deck.

Agree.  Agree.  Agree.

I'm holding out on pledge since it's borderline for my style and the unshown tuckbox could be a deal breaker/maker.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

Agree.  Agree.  Agree.

I'm holding out on pledge since it's borderline for my style and the unshown tuckbox could be a deal breaker/maker.

That's a must for me.  They should really consider posting a pic of the tuck.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 01:32:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, my take on this.
  • I like the art.  It's fun and quirky.
  • The indices are functional, if a bit dull.  Dull, however, isn't necessarily a bad thing on an index.
  • He made some really custom pips - then only used them on the Aces!  What a shame.
  • I always prefer a joker with an index of some kind, but that's just me.  It could work without one just as well.
  • There is no way on this green Earth that USPC will allow those borders on the backs to remain that thin.  I don't think there's enough room between the edge of the design and the cut line of the card for a fart, never mind a border!  USPC simply isn't capable of the kind of precision registration and alignment needed to accurately cut the cards without being off-center enough to ruin the backs.  They WILL send him back to the drawing board.
  • I also feel he low-balled the goal - unless he's kicking in his own cash, I think he's going to have a tough time delivering what's promised, especially if he barely makes it over his goal.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
OK, my take on this.
  • I like the art.  It's fun and quirky.
  • The indices are functional, if a bit dull.  Dull, however, isn't necessarily a bad thing on an index.
  • He made some really custom pips - then only used them on the Aces!  What a shame.
  • I always prefer a joker with an index of some kind, but that's just me.  It could work without one just as well.
  • There is no way on this green Earth that USPC will allow those borders on the backs to remain that thin.  I don't think there's enough room between the edge of the design and the cut line of the card for a fart, never mind a border!  USPC simply isn't capable of the kind of precision registration and alignment needed to accurately cut the cards without being off-center enough to ruin the backs.  They WILL send him back to the drawing board.
  • I also feel he low-balled the goal - unless he's kicking in his own cash, I think he's going to have a tough time delivering what's promised, especially if he barely makes it over his goal.

OMG...With such good artwork, i felt there could really be more going on for this deck.

Like what Don said. He had some nice custom pips going on, why only use it on the Aces? As for the court cards, i felt he could just leave out the borders and have the courts a little larger, or at least have a more detailed border. It feels like so much effort was put into the pips and court images, but non was done for the overall aesthetic of the cards.

The artwork is definitely something worth pledging, but i think it still needs more fine-tuning.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 01:48:55 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Arseniy has updates the pips. I hope he color matches with the base color or first shadow on his hearts and diamonds indices, not the highlight color. I really like the art on these. Still no tuck in sight though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 01:50:47 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)