You are Here:
Underground Playing Cards: Diamond Edition- (KS)

Author (Read 3501 times)

Underground Playing Cards: Diamond Edition- (KS)
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: Underground Playing Cards: Diamond Edition- (KS)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I don't feel like the rims on my car are large enough for me to own these cards.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
I don't feel like the rims on my car are large enough for me to own these cards.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

Wow. That got me good. As for the cards, I would rather throw $10 towards a   "Mydnyghte rim enlargement" project.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:24:09 PM by DarkDerp »
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

Wow. That got me good. As for the cards, I would rather throw $10 towards a   "Mydnyghte rim enlargement" project.

Word!

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 10:56:34 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member

Reminds me of the time when someone did a Kickstarter campaign for a Star Wars Death Star and a Rebel Alliance X-Wing Squadron.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, here are the links:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonkwan/crowdfunding-rebel-alliance-x-wing-squadron
They did get some impressive numbers. :)

As for the deck, the creator claims it's taken half a year to design them. The lack of pictures also most probably means standard courts.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:56:49 PM by Yashi »

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

Reminds me of the time when someone did a Kickstarter campaign for a Star Wars Death Star and a Rebel Alliance X-Wing Squadron.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, here are the links:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonkwan/crowdfunding-rebel-alliance-x-wing-squadron
They did get some impressive numbers. :)

As for the deck, the creator claims it's taken half a year to design them. The lack of pictures also most probably means standard courts.

Note:does not include interstellar transport. For $10,000, omg I can't stop laughing right now. That is hilarious. Thanks for the link Yashi.
Yeah the cards are bad.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:29:37 PM by Rose »

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
She describes herself as a magician and appears to be a member of the Magic Castle, as well.  So she has some credibility.

That back design?  Six months?  Only if you're a really bad procrastinator (or perhaps an exceptionally good one?).  It's not like we've seen a single face card yet, so what other reason could there be for taking so long?

Thus far I'm not really impressed by this.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 02:30:12 AM »

daniellehorowitzmagic

• Newcomer
Hi everyone!

Yes, the creator here.

So just to address a few of your concerns.

Yes I know the delivery dates were off. I was able to adjust most of them, but there are a few that since I was already backed on that tier, I could not adjust. I will however be posting an update soon to tell people that it has come to my attention and what the real estimated dates are.

A few people have asked me about why there are not custom court cards. (I am about to upload the picture of the Ace). Since this was my first deck, I did not want to ask for a higher goal in order to have those custom. I know that that is a disappointment for some and I do apologize, but I can promise you the next will have custom courts assuming this is funded.

And a quick note to it taking 6 months. I will admit to you that it took much longer than expected. But I was in the midst of graduating from high school, waiting on colleges, etc. I know that is not an excuse, but I am very proud of this and all that matters is that it is up now.

Also, I am a member of the Magic Castle Junior Program. It is an elitist group at the Magic Castle for ages 13-20. I am one of three girls. We had to audition to get in, have meetings every month, and work hard at our magic skills. I just wanted to tell you because I hope you see that I am not making it up, I really do care about both cards, and magic alike.

I apologize that the design is not up to par with what you all want. It has been a work in progress and I am content with the results. I know that for the next deck I should DEFINITELY come over here first, but at this point, I am just going to try to get funded as much as I can. While I understand that some of you are doubting the funding of this project, I would really appreciate all of the support that I can. I have been watching and backing many decks for months, and have seen both custom courts and not get funded.

Again, thank you everyone for your thoughts, and I'll be sure to come over here next time :)

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Why isn't there a spade on the AoS's index?  The lines coming off the A just make it look like a really odd joker.

Overall, the design just isn't very interesting.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:59:28 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 03:14:17 AM »

daniellehorowitzmagic

• Newcomer
There is! Wrong AoS was uploaded at first.
Otherwise, I'm sorry to hear you do not like it!
Maybe next deck you will.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 03:45:39 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Hi Danielle,
Thanks for joining us here, even though the design is basic and I am not a fan, I think with a lot more work it could be good, and Well Done for effort. The experience you can gain from this is worth it.
Best of luck!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:46:23 AM by Rose »

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 07:28:24 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
And a quick note to it taking 6 months. I will admit to you that it took much longer than expected. But I was in the midst of graduating from high school, waiting on colleges, etc. I know that is not an excuse, but I am very proud of this and all that matters is that it is up now.

I see. Well congratulations to you. But I guess saying it took 6 months causes it to be misunderstood in a negative way.

Also, I am a member of the Magic Castle Junior Program. It is an elitist group at the Magic Castle for ages 13-20. I am one of three girls. We had to audition to get in, have meetings every month, and work hard at our magic skills. I just wanted to tell you because I hope you see that I am not making it up, I really do care about both cards, and magic alike.

I think that's pretty cool. I'm 22 and I still haven't achieved anything.

I apologize that the design is not up to par with what you all want. It has been a work in progress and I am content with the results. I know that for the next deck I should DEFINITELY come over here first, but at this point, I am just going to try to get funded as much as I can. While I understand that some of you are doubting the funding of this project, I would really appreciate all of the support that I can. I have been watching and backing many decks for months, and have seen both custom courts and not get funded.

Everyone is welcome to try and not everyone gets it right the first time. Anyway, best of luck to you and your Kickstarter campaign.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi everyone!

Yes, the creator here.

So just to address a few of your concerns.

Yes I know the delivery dates were off. I was able to adjust most of them, but there are a few that since I was already backed on that tier, I could not adjust. I will however be posting an update soon to tell people that it has come to my attention and what the real estimated dates are.

A few people have asked me about why there are not custom court cards. (I am about to upload the picture of the Ace). Since this was my first deck, I did not want to ask for a higher goal in order to have those custom. I know that that is a disappointment for some and I do apologize, but I can promise you the next will have custom courts assuming this is funded.

Again, thank you everyone for your thoughts, and I'll be sure to come over here next time :)

Ms. Horowitz, first allow me to welcome you to the Discourse.

I know it wasn't easy for you to come here in the face of criticism about your project, and for that, I salute you.

You need not apologize for making a deck without custom faces.  A solid, general-purpose magician's deck generally doesn't have custom faces.

I do consulting work for playing card designers and printers.  I'm willing to offer you assistance and advice free of charge.  Consider it my opportunity to pay it forward.  You can reach me by private messaging here.  (Click on my name or image to the left to see my profile and you'll see a link on the left for sending me a message.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:41:36 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 01:00:35 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
There is! Wrong AoS was uploaded at first.
Otherwise, I'm sorry to hear you do not like it!
Maybe next deck you will.

Possibly. Thanks for posting, though!

Definitely drop Don a message. The man's a wizard when it comes to helping out KS projects and deck design.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
@ daniellehorowitzmagic

I think this is a wonderful deck and I fully support you getting this printed. I wish this was submitted as a discourse contest entry. I would have voted for it.

It does still need some finessing. I'm sure Don can help get you where you want to be with it. Keep pushing your design till you have exhausted your concept and never be satisfied.

All the Best.

Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:17:19 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 02:14:43 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I think that's pretty cool. I'm 22 and I still haven't achieved anything.

I'm 29 and I'm still "wasting" money buying cards  :P

I think it's good you are doing stuff that you like and are designing cards because of your interest.
Now the next step is to do it well. Get advise from Don or whoever you know in the playing cards community or designing community. I'm sure most of them will share some advices with you. I'm sure there are decks/posters/graphics out there which you like very much, you can take some ideas off of those and create something that is your signature.

This is just me, but the colour co-ordination and the designs do need some more work. I personally feel you should just go ahead and try a full custom deck if you have the ideas as to how you want to go about it. It's better to put all your effort into something rather than trying out while holding back. Like what you said, you can always come here first to get some opinions on your next deck. Just take the good ideas in and ignore the shitty ones (I'm sure i contributed some as well on my off days). Most importantly, don't lose the direction of why you wanted to do this in the first place, and don't lose your own style.

Best of luck to your current deck, and hopefully more decks to come.