• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: Voyager Playing cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 02:03:32 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That deck looks awfully familiar...  oh, yeah, it's a REPRINT...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/658322750/the-melies-playing-cards
http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/the-melies-playing-cards-(ks)/

Though I will grant you that this time he's printing it with Legends PCC.  But really, the people with the original deck who bought thinking the deck would be a one-and-done limited edition are going to be very disappointed...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I kind of disagree there. The first deck is still an original . Yes He is reprinting the basics but they are named different for one and we have the extra color and a different printer. I am still very happy with my first edition and will be getting these also

After the success of last years original release of the Melies, we have decided to re invent them as the Melies Voyagers. Doing this by re-printing the original space blue color way, along with a new color way were calling aurora red. This color way will be released in a limited edition run of only 1111, with each deck being individually numbered on the seal which makes this deck very unique and will be sure to become a collectors item.

Setting the new industry standard with their Legends #852 deck, Legends Playing Card Company can accomplish many things the United States Playing Card Company cannot; such as ultra-precise printing registration, extreme durability, and the glass-like edges of their signature "Diamond Cut" process. To consistently produce cards of superior quality, LPCC works with highly skilled printers that are willing to re-learn the ropes and expirement with completely new printing advances. Although we see no end to our relationship with the USPC we are excited to work with Lawrence Sullivan, the head of LPCC, with the printing of Voyagers.

Since we are using the LPCC to print the Voyagers, we can print a limited run of 1,111 decks with numbered seals. Of those, only 900 decks of Aurora Red Voyagers will be available on Kickstarter. 100 decks will go into our private reserve, and 111 will be sold through www.LegendsPlayingCards.com. This deck is extremely exclusive, and if there are any decks available after the kickstarter, they will only be available on the Pure Imagination Projects website. Backing this Kickstarter is the only way to guarantee an Aurora Red deck of Voyagers!

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:54:18 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I kind of disagree there. The first deck is still an original . Yes He is reprinting the basics but they are named different for one and we have the extra color and a different printer. I am still very happy with my first edition and will be getting these also

After the success of last years original release of the Melies, we have decided to re invent them as the Melies Voyagers. Doing this by re-printing the original space blue color way, along with a new color way were calling aurora red. This color way will be released in a limited edition run of only 1111, with each deck being individually numbered on the seal which makes this deck very unique and will be sure to become a collectors item.

Setting the new industry standard with their Legends #852 deck, Legends Playing Card Company can accomplish many things the United States Playing Card Company cannot; such as ultra-precise printing registration, extreme durability, and the glass-like edges of their signature "Diamond Cut" process. To consistently produce cards of superior quality, LPCC works with highly skilled printers that are willing to re-learn the ropes and expirement with completely new printing advances. Although we see no end to our relationship with the USPC we are excited to work with Lawrence Sullivan, the head of LPCC, with the printing of Voyagers.

Since we are using the LPCC to print the Voyagers, we can print a limited run of 1,111 decks with numbered seals. Of those, only 900 decks of Aurora Red Voyagers will be available on Kickstarter. 100 decks will go into our private reserve, and 111 will be sold through www.LegendsPlayingCards.com. This deck is extremely exclusive, and if there are any decks available after the kickstarter, they will only be available on the Pure Imagination Projects website. Backing this Kickstarter is the only way to guarantee an Aurora Red deck of Voyagers!

I kind of disagree here. It is a reprint. Sure it is a different name, different tuck, and a different colour. But it is still a reprint.
I'm sure many will still add this to complete their collection, and those who missed out on the first will be jumping into this.

But i personally would like to see something new. I don't mind the same theme, but at least doing something different rather than just a colour change. (Sounds familiar?)

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I kind of disagree here. It is a reprint. Sure it is a different name, different tuck, and a different colour. But it is still a reprint.
I'm sure many will still add this to complete their collection, and those who missed out on the first will be jumping into this.

But i personally would like to see something new. I don't mind the same theme, but at least doing something different rather than just a colour change. (Sounds familiar?)

This deck BARELY reached its goal the first time around.  Now the goal is rather ambitious and I can't imagine that buyer sentiment has improved that much.  It's going to be a squeaker if it makes it.  OK, different printer, better paper/finish, different title and tuck box - but the design of the cards themselves is 100% THE SAME.  That is a reprint, especially when one of the decks appears to have a perfect or near-perfect copy of the original deck's back color.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »

CthulhuWho1

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I missed the original deck, so even a "reprint" would be a "new" addition to my collection, but I do have other concerns.

I'm tired of spending money on decks that are just a new back and tuck case on a set of standard face cards.

I love the design of card backs and tuck cases, but I'm equally interested in the card faces; because I buy decks based upon the entire package.

Even my wife laughs at how much money is being asked for or collected on Kickstarter for decks that just have a back or tuck case change; because she knows how long it's taking me to work on the faces of the decks I'm working on for my own Kickstarter projects.

That is why I just sent the following message off on Kickstarter to the creator of these cards:

"Hey Derek,

Would you please show the faces of your aces and court cards, and the faces of a few of your numbered cards too?

I no longer pledge for any decks that don't show what I'm buying; and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Will Hart
Fullerton, California"

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I missed the original deck, so even a "reprint" would be a "new" addition to my collection, but I do have other concerns.

I'm tired of spending money on decks that are just a new back and tuck case on a set of standard face cards.

I love the design of card backs and tuck cases, but I'm equally interested in the card faces; because I buy decks based upon the entire package.

Even my wife laughs at how much money is being asked for or collected on Kickstarter for decks that just have a back or tuck case change; because she knows how long it's taking me to work on the faces of the decks I'm working on for my own Kickstarter projects.

That is why I just sent the following message off on Kickstarter to the creator of these cards:

"Hey Derek,

Would you please show the faces of your aces and court cards, and the faces of a few of your numbered cards too?

I no longer pledge for any decks that don't show what I'm buying; and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Will Hart
Fullerton, California"

It's a sentiment I agree with.  But rather than taking the trouble to write, I'll often just stay away.  Why bother attempting to "fix" a campaign (which may or may not be appreciated, depending on the project creator) when there's two dozen others to choose from?  :))

I must have taken too many cynical pills today...

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »

vmagic

They should seriously consider customizing the courts just a little bit.