You are Here:
Nouveau Luxury Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter

Author (Read 5879 times)

Re: Nouveau Luxury Playing Cards now live on Kickstarter
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
There is neither art nor nouveau in this deck. Let alone Art Nouveau!

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 12:04:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi guys thanks for all the feedback, we have taken what you have said into very seriously and looked again at the design of the cards to answer your concerns, we have only made educational cards in the past but love playing poker which is why we thought we would design our own cards. 

The font issue was caused from transfer from Mac to PC - we should have noticed its been rectified, the indices are intentionally off centre from the suit but please provide feedback and we will change based upon your opinions.
The border - we spoke to the manufacturer about the border and we were assured it wouldn't be a problem but taking your feedback into consideration we have removed it.
We have added the joker and Ace cards inspired by our theme.

Please have another look and let us know what you think, we really appreciated the feedback and really want to produce the best card possible, so we will take it all on board.

Thanks!

I did neglect to ask yesterday - what do you say to the fact that unless your decks cost not more than one British pound to make AND distribute, you would appear to be in a position to lose money?  Are you contributing funds out-of-pocket to the project, beyond your stated goal?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »

Robert Adams

• True Member
  • 'love your cards'

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Hi guys thanks for all the feedback, we have taken what you have said into very seriously and looked again at the design of the cards to answer your concerns, we have only made educational cards in the past but love playing poker which is why we thought we would design our own cards. 

The font issue was caused from transfer from Mac to PC - we should have noticed its been rectified, the indices are intentionally off centre from the suit but please provide feedback and we will change based upon your opinions.
The border - we spoke to the manufacturer about the border and we were assured it wouldn't be a problem but taking your feedback into consideration we have removed it.
We have added the joker and Ace cards inspired by our theme.

Please have another look and let us know what you think, we really appreciated the feedback and really want to produce the best card possible, so we will take it all on board.

Thanks!

I did neglect to ask yesterday - what do you say to the fact that unless your decks cost not more than one British pound to make AND distribute, you would appear to be in a position to lose money?  Are you contributing funds out-of-pocket to the project, beyond your stated goal?

What do you mean Don?

If they only reach £2500 they will print far fewer than 2500 decks. Their campaign says 'no more than 2500 decks'.

Ah, they seem to have cancelled the project. It says:

'Funding Canceled Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator about 3 hours ago'.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:17:19 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm inclined to think that the creator decided to go back to the drawing board rather than pushing forward.  These cards may appear again.

Rob, please - instead of posting twice just minutes apart in the same topic, just edit your first post and add to it.  It's the forum etiquette here.

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »

Robert Adams

• True Member
  • 'love your cards'

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Sorry for not following the etiquette there Don.

Indeed, they have confirmed that they will relaunch.

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Now Re launched...  Updated my original post with new link and new pics

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 09:04:06 AM »

Robert Adams

• True Member
  • 'love your cards'

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
This project has been back on-line for a few weeks now and seems to be struggling.

Their updated designs are much improved and price not outrageous either. Only an extra £1 international shipping per deck.

Worth another look?

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 09:29:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This project has been back on-line for a few weeks now and seems to be struggling.

Their updated designs are much improved and price not outrageous either. Only an extra £1 international shipping per deck.

Worth another look?

Where's the link for the relaunch?  Most of the old photos are not loading anymore, either.

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
he must have changed the pics yet again  Let me check

EDIT: Don  Do you need new glasses?. Both the latest link and pics are still there in original post...  How's the egg nog tatsing this morning  :t11: :t11:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:35:19 AM by badpete69 »

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
So in going through the entire thread, I see what you mean.  That is what happen when you have multiple posters linking pics. The original post if I am the one that made it will always be updated with the latest links and pics so that people do not have to look through the entire thread especially if there are many pages of posts.  And of course  i cannot update other people posts obviously  so hope this clarifies it. The first post is the latest info
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:39:05 AM by badpete69 »

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Can't figure out why people are not interested in the deck.  Is it the slightly oversized pips and undersized indexes?  Is it because the indexes are to close together? Is it the large boarder on the courts cards?  Is it because the court cards lost it's suit and now are hard to distinguish at a distance.   Is it the grayish spades and clubs color?  Is it the oversized design of the Aces?  Is it the Uk dollars putting off American backers.  Is it because they don't have a video nor have they connected to Facebook and have twitter listed as their website.  Is it because the lack of updates and not engaging backers.  Are they promoting their deck?  I like the back of card and the box. 

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Can't figure out why people are not interested in the deck.  Is it the slightly oversized pips and undersized indexes?  Is it because the indexes are to close together? Is it the large boarder on the courts cards?  Is it because the court cards lost it's suit and now are hard to distinguish at a distance.   Is it the grayish spades and clubs color?  Is it the oversized design of the Aces?  Is it the Uk dollars putting off American backers.  Is it because they don't have a video nor have they connected to Facebook and have twitter listed as their website.  Is it because the lack of updates and not engaging backers.  Are they promoting their deck?  I like the back of card and the box. 

I think it's just that it's not USPCC and that the design is, quite frankly, kinda meh. It looks like something you'd find at a yard sale, which isn't to say it's not a nice design, it's just nothing special.
- Tom

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So in going through the entire thread, I see what you mean.  That is what happen when you have multiple posters linking pics. The original post if I am the one that made it will always be updated with the latest links and pics so that people do not have to look through the entire thread especially if there are many pages of posts.  And of course  i cannot update other people posts obviously  so hope this clarifies it. The first post is the latest info

I find it preferable when people actually download the images and upload them to the site.  When I was moving posts from the PCP to CFV, I can't tell you how many dead image links there were, but it was not a small number - meaning that data is now lost to the four corners of the interwebs, when it could easily have been saved here.

And the eggnog I drink has no alcohol in it.  I take meds that prohibit alcohol use, as the combination could be lethal.  :-P

I think it's just that it's not USPCC and that the design is, quite frankly, kinda meh. It looks like something you'd find at a yard sale, which isn't to say it's not a nice design, it's just nothing special.

There have not been many UK decks that succeeded on KS yet, with Lee McKenzie's Empire deck being the major exception.  Americans who will happily pay with Amazon Payments are less thrilled about handing over a credit card number directly.  Some couldn't be bothered to convert the currency - they see that pound symbol and their eyes glaze over.  Lack of a video or a Facebook page can't possibly be helping matters, either.  Toss into that mix that it's not a USPC deck, and at that point the design barely matters - they've lost most of the playing card collecting community.

I actually like the appearance of the spot cards - it's those courts that look so blah to me.  Filling in all that white space with the shrubbery of the same color scheme visually sucks the life out of the images.  He should have gone big, as he did with the spot cards - tear out those frames, blow up those courts and restore the white space, then make the greenery patterns in the cloth the courts are wearing.  It would have been far more imaginative.

The backs are a bit bland, but no more so than a pack of Bee Stingers or Diamond Backs.  You can almost see the lines where he created a quarter of the design and kept flipping it from corner to corner to create the symmetry - but that does mean that yes, it's symmetrical, and I can forgive the blandness because it would look nice enough in spreads and be well-suited to gambling demonstrations.  If he spiced up the design with more color and less dinginess in the background, now that would have been a more captivating card back.  Dingy backs are so overused now, they're becoming boring, and there are more colors by far in nature than are depicted in this nature design.  This would make a fine, inoffensive Congress back, as it is now.

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 02:52:37 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I'm sure there are worst decks out in KS, but this is not fantastic either. I feel this deck is nowhere near as its name states - "Nouveau Luxury". Not exactly Nouveau and not too sure where the luxurious comes from.

There are parts of the deck that i like, the oversized pips and the back is ok, the strip across the tuck adds a little "sophistication", but all in all, this feels like a boring deck. As a collector, it does not have the colour nor design that i would wanna show it off to another friend. If a deck is using standard bicycle courts, i would probably just overlook it. But to put in work into the court cards, ace and joker, yet still make it look like a last minute design assignment doesn't help.

Simply put, this is not as badly designed a deck as some others in KS, but it is one that i can easily skip pledging.

Also, the tuck box and the Aces...i could only say it makes me wonder if i am colour blind.