You are Here:
Selling your design through Gamblers Warehouse or Collectors Playing Cards?

Author (Read 1848 times)

RandCo

• True Member
Do any designers or others know the advantages and disadvantages of selling your design through Gamblers Warehouse or Collectors Playing Cards? It does seem that a custom deck is more likely to meet the Kickstarter goal when promoted through these retailers.

I am working on a Bicycle branded custom deck and would like some information on using these retailers versus publishing a deck yourself.

Gamblers Warehouse does give some credit to the designer on Kickstarter, CPC seems to offer no credit to the designer.

Are there other custom playing card retailers/publishers like Gamblers or CPC who offer custom decks through Kickstarter then retail?

Re: Selling your design through Gamblers Warehouse or Collectors Playing Cards?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Do any designers or others know the advantages and disadvantages of selling your design through Gamblers Warehouse or Collectors Playing Cards? It does seem that a custom deck is more likely to meet the Kickstarter goal when promoted through these retailers.

I am working on a Bicycle branded custom deck and would like some information on using these retailers versus publishing a deck yourself.

Gamblers Warehouse does give some credit to the designer on Kickstarter, CPC seems to offer no credit to the designer.

Are there other custom playing card retailers/publishers like Gamblers or CPC who offer custom decks through Kickstarter then retail?

There are countless publishers offering their goods first via KS then via web sales.  Nearly every deck out there that didn't sell out in the KS was made by such a "company," in fact, defining company as the one person or handful of people that put the project together, because most projects are a one-person affair...

I can't speak for CPC, but I know the guys at GW and I know someone who's worked with them before.  They'll buy your design, flat-out, and that's it, you're done.  (At least that's what they did in this one case - your results may vary.)  In this instance, the guy sold the design, GW offered it on KS, it failed as a USPC-made deck, so GW opted to make it by using their own printing press (yes, they print decks, too, as well as make poker chips).

On the one hand, you're selling off the idea and get nothing else after that.  On the other hand, you get a fat lump of cash and don't have to lift a finger fulfilling orders, promoting your campaign, etc.  It certainly has its charms.  In the case of the guy I know who worked with them, it was fine for him because he was living in a country that KS doesn't allow to create projects.

Others might be thinking, "Hey, my idea has more profit potential than that - I could be the next Jackson Robinson and my deck could be the next Name of the Wind!"  In cases of such runaway hits, you've sold the idea, you're done - no more cash, be it a $10K project or a $100K project.  But those are really pretty rare, compared with how many AREN'T the big runaway hits - and as long as you aren't a one-hit wonder, you can leverage that fame for making your NEXT deck, in which case, the profit you "lost" on that first deck was the price of getting your foot in the door and your name in people's mindspace.

There was a previous model for this: House of Playing Cards (HOPC), operated by the Blue Crown.  But that was pre-Kickstarter.  In the post-KS world, they have sharply curtailed their output and the few decks they have offered all got their start on KS.

As far as CPC, honestly, they seem to make fewer hits and a lot more misses - decks I wouldn't want in my collection (that's my opinion, for what that's worth).  CPC also seems more interested in Bicycle branding, working on the assumption that the Bicycle-only collectors will find their goods appealing enough with the addition of the brand to want to buy it in bulk.  At one time, recently, that might have been the case, but now...  USPC has rubber-stamped too many craptacular decks with the Bicycle name on them, and many such collectors have turned their backs on them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:13:51 PM »

RandCo

• True Member
Thanks Don.

I noticed that Blackout Brother did a few decks with Gamblers Warehouse (Spirit, Steampunk Bandits, and Blackout Kingdom). The design and illustration on those decks are excellent. I figured if they did repeat business with them, there must be some advantage for the artist. But Blackout Brother primarily does illustration, and cards are not their primary business. Also, they are based out of Indonesia, where money goes a lot further than the U.S.

It seems like it might be worthwhile if the custom deck was a limited edition, where the designer and GW have a predictable outcome assuming all of the decks sold. This would depend on the amount of the flat rate the designer gets of course.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 09:52:06 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Unless you're in a country that KS does not support, then why would you want to sell your design to somebody else. If the design is good enough, then it should fund on KS without one of the resellers. If you don't want to deal with the shipping part, there are plenty of fulfillment options out there. If you do your homework, and research, and math right. Then just do it yourself. If you don't want to deal with any of that stuff, and all you want to do is draw. Then by all means sell your design. Just don't be insulted at what you are offered. JMO!
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 09:58:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks Don.

I noticed that Blackout Brother did a few decks with Gamblers Warehouse (Spirit, Steampunk Bandits, and Blackout Kingdom). The design and illustration on those decks are excellent. I figured if they did repeat business with them, there must be some advantage for the artist. But Blackout Brother primarily does illustration, and cards are not their primary business. Also, they are based out of Indonesia, where money goes a lot further than the U.S.

It seems like it might be worthwhile if the custom deck was a limited edition, where the designer and GW have a predictable outcome assuming all of the decks sold. This would depend on the amount of the flat rate the designer gets of course.

ALL KS decks are limited editions!  It's the rare deck that ever gets a second edition.  They may not all announce that they're limited editions, but by default they generally are.

Being based out of Indonesia, they're unable to launch a KS project of their own - yet.  THAT'S their biggest advantage.  They needed a partner from a KS-friendly nation.  Everything else is gravy!  (Though I will say that GW's order fulfillment service isn't a bad thing to have, either, whether or not you make your project with them.  Expert PCC uses them for US fulfillment, and I'll be using Expert, so I'll indirectly be using GW for an upcoming project.)

Unless you're in a country that KS does not support, then why would you want to sell your design to somebody else. If the design is good enough, then it should fund on KS without one of the resellers. If you don't want to deal with the shipping part, there are plenty of fulfillment options out there. If you do your homework, and research, and math right. Then just do it yourself. If you don't want to deal with any of that stuff, and all you want to do is draw. Then by all means sell your design. Just don't be insulted at what you are offered. JMO!

You nailed it on the head, really.  Some artists simply want to make the art, period, and move on to the next project.  There's also the case where you sell a project before the KS launch and the KS fails.  You made your money, so it's no sweat off your nose.  I imagine you'd be a bit disappointed at the failure of your design, but looking at your larger bank balance might ease any pain you feel...  :))

There are a lot of artists that work on a "hired gun" basis, making art for someone else and getting a flat, lump-sum payment.  It's not in the spirit of KS, but it is in the spirit of commerce and it gets the bills paid a lot faster.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »

EgorKlyuchnyk

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I imagine you'd be a bit disappointed at the failure of your design, but looking at your larger bank balance might ease any pain you feel...  :))

Oh, it's so true...
Looking for work
Contact me:
Facebook
Instagram
Behance