Total Members Voted: 14

RunIt Deck

Author (Read 2204 times)

RunIt Deck
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hi everyone, as some of you have seen this before, I am currently deciding on whether to produce this deck or not. As I know that we are saturated with decks on the market.

Some of the details of the deck are as follows:
-2500 print run
-Bee Stock
-Magic Finish-Custom Faces
-Metallic Ink
-Would be funded via IndieGogo (As I'm from the Philippines)
-Would be priced around $9-11

Your feedbacks would be truly appreciated.PS: I would add some more details as the deck progresses. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:42:53 PM by runIt »

Re: RunIt Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Very reminiscent of the the Enigma deck. I think the biggest problem you will run into is with indie-gogo since their userbase is almost nonexistent and their Terms of Service allow project creators to not follow through on promises and take money for the project even if the goal is not met.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:31:09 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Wow I love the design! Great job. Would love to see this deck on the market one day.
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I must say that this was designed and posted on UC way before the Enigma deck was produced. Unfortunately, being a non-US resident gives me a hard time to fund this deck.

I maybe opting for "All or Nothing" option - might as well try my luck as I wanted this deck to get produced.  :)

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:38:08 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Hey man you have to shoot for your dreams. Will it be easy? Not a chance but you can only learn from mistakes right? I wish you the best of luck with the deck and again very nice elegant design. Love it
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 11:41:45 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I must say that this was designed and posted on UC way before the Enigma deck was produced. Unfortunately, being a non-US resident gives me a hard time to fund this deck.

I maybe opting for "All or Nothing" option - might as well try my luck as I wanted this deck to get produced.  :)

I never said you ripped the Enigma deck, I just said it's similar to it and as a result there may be people who opt out. That being said, I think this design is infinitely superior to the Enigma cards.

I have a question though, what is "RunIt"? Is that a brand name you are trying to establish? Does it have some sort of meaning? I ask this, because you should ask yourself "why would a customer want RunIt on their cards?" The answer is simple:

If a customer can't relate to the word, then they will not buy it. However, if you establish it as a brand name, the customer can relate to the brand and thus to the word.

Just some food for though. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The box and back design look great! I love the colors and everything. But I can't decide on a deck, just by seeing the box.
You said custom faces.... but we haven't seen them yet. From what I see, I like it. But I wouldn't buy a deck without seeing the cards first

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 01:46:45 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
this look like the engima remind me of it .. it will be better if you can change the court card and the pip all that if you can do that i will defintely buy 1 brick or more

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 01:58:43 AM »

junjie04

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
this look like the engima remind me of it .. it will be better if you can change the court card and the pip all that if you can do that i will defintely buy 1 brick or more

Changing the pip and court card? Have you seen the pips and court card?

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 03:04:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's a nice design, but to me it reminds me too much of both Mana and Enigma.  If you really did a great job on the custom faces, perhaps, but as is, the jury is still out.

It doesn't matter if your design sprouted from your mind first - those decks are first to market, and that's all buyers will know or care about.  And "RunIt" as a brand name?  I don't really identify with that at all.  Enigma: a mystery.  Mana: the artist's last name, AND a term meaning a gift, bounty, energy, etc.  RunIt: ? ? ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:07:07 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 03:15:30 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah it's hard to tell from just the box. I would love to see the custom faces! After that it would be easier to decide one way or the other.

What's the story behind "Runit"?
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 07:08:09 AM »

Robert Butler

Well when I first saw this design on UC I would have bought it but now you have a few things really working against you.  One is that now that the enigma has come out your design no longer stands out.  You would receve alot of negitivity from a similar design when so many didn't like the enigma.  Now you did it better so don't misunderstand me.  But the fact still remains.  Second is that your color scheme really brings out the Mana deck for me.  Again this simply doesn't help your deck stand out when you have to market to the same demographic.  Trust me,  what I'm telling you is the same thing Alex and I discussed & Sean.  Every deck is cross referenced with recent releases or future releases to determine how well the people will respond to the design.  So your presented a great amount of creativity with this design and I give you kudos for the main theme as you were the first I've seen do it.  But if your as creative as you show yourself to be then have the courage to destroy what you have inorder to create something better.  It's a painful process but it's led me to my path with Conjuring Creations.  As for your issue with funding, there is a uk system like kickstarter that is for non US residents.  And if your worried about marketing it on a different system, don't be, go back to the drawing board and if your inspirations inspire us we will help you market it. 

Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »

runIt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

Sorry for the late response guys, had to celebrate Chinese New Year! :D

The story behind RunIt is as simple as breaking it down into two words "Run It". The explanation is quite long so grab a popcorn.

It originated when I had my first custom deck - Black Tiger to which I have bought from a store. I went home and researched about custom decks and found out that the store where I bought my Tigers only sells close to 5% of the variety of decks that are in the market. Since then I knew I'd be a collector.

Now, the prices of custom decks here in our country costs a lot, just to give you an idea, it costed me $12 for a single Black Tiger. Back then I was still studying and it would costs a lot to pursue this hobby. So I've thought, where else should I get fuel for this hobby? Of course from the hobby itself. Thus the idea of reselling came into mind. Searched online and found a Filipino reseller, purchased a Black Ghost (bought it at $19) deck and sold it making a profit of $1. Then I used $20 plus a couple of my school money to purchase two decks from another reseller and made a profit of of $3. Kept on doing the same thing over and over until I was able to buy all decks from the store.

Collected all of them didn't satisfy me. For one, I knew that the access of Filipinos living in the urban to custom decks is very limited. Two, Filipinos living in the provinces don't have access to custom decks. And three, I'm not satisfied with my collection, as I knew this is only close to 5% of the decks on the market.

So I did research about importing decks in our country and finally decided on purchasing one brick of Arcanes to resell.

Now, for me to sell all this quick, I had to set up an online store. When I was asked for a user/store name - Chris Brown's "Run It" was playing on the background. The title of the song made me realized that I can make it (deck reselling) work, I can run it and be successful. Well, the rest is history.

Started importing a brick, to bricks, a gross, to multiple grosses. I've been selling for over two years and I am happy to say that 99% of my hobby was funded from my hobby itself.  Not only that, I have given easy access to Filipinos (both urban and provinces) to custom decks; I was able to share my passion with ethnic groups in a province that don't have electricity; and lastly, contributed in building and strenghtening the awareness of people to this hobby and cardistry in the Philippines.

To some, this may be a senseless story, but this is the story behind RunIt. And I am proud of it. :)

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That's actually a good story.  But the deck still needs alterations to succeed, unless you sell it to a market that hasn't seen the Mana or Enigma decks.  And just as I've never seen the Buck Twins sell a "Dan and Dave" deck or Theory11 sell a "Theory11" deck, you might consider a name change for the new design for broader appeal.  BMPokerWorld named the Premier deck the Premier deck and not the BMPokerWorld deck for the same reason!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 01:32:01 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Whilst I do love the fact you made the word RUNIT read both ways, I do have to agree with the consensus to change the "branding" of the playing card to not something so specific like this.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.