You are Here:
Templates/Plugin for creating Decks - for PROs and non-PROs

Author (Read 1706 times)

Templates/Plugin for creating Decks - for PROs and non-PROs
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:23:33 AM »

NgNash

Hi guys,

I'm creator of plug-in that helps with creating a full custom Deck. Not sure that this is right spot for topic, so I trust Admins to place it properly.

Anyway, idea behind this plug-in is to ease technical part of crafting a deck. With help of it you can choose:
-pictures
-boxes
-suits and their design
-fonts
-colors
-backgrounds
-sizes
-back
-jokers
-aces
-and much more

It will "process" 52 cards with 3 jokers and one double-back card. Easy to use and create in minutes.
Original idea was to help designers during creation of professional decks, that we all love to collect. Soon after, I realize that it can be used by non-Pro users to

create own movie, cartoon, game, show, family or friend deck. It can be used to have fun and prepare surprise for your loved ones.

Plug-in comes with option to prepare you sheets with cards for print on selected format. It can support whatever quality/mode you want. There are two default Templates

- BRIDGE and POKER but if you want to have square cards for example... no problem.
To be more clear, check out YouTube below, hope you will give us a chance to show you what this plug-in can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibcWMtRnbBg

Let me know what you think and what are your questions. Find Playing Cards Wizard on kickstarter :)

Nash
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:24:11 AM by NgNash »

Re: Templates/Plugin for creating Decks - for PROs and non-PROs
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 03:11:00 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 06:44:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
On the one hand, it's a great idea, allowing people who've never designed a deck before to have access to simple tools for doing so.

On the other hand, it's a terrible idea, allowing people (with zero design experience) who've never designed a deck before to have access to simple tools for doing so.  It's akin to handing over your car keys to someone without a driver's license and no prior driving experience.

That, and Photoshop isn't exactly cheap, though if your project is non-professional, there are free copies around the Internet you can use, or so I've been told...  I wish the template could have been made for something cheap and simple, like Seashore for Mac or even MS Paint for Windows.  Better yet, make it a stand-alone app instead of a plug-in to a more expensive program.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:45:49 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »

NgNash

Thanks for feedback Don.

As said, original idea was to help out designers to do their job. Thus Photoshop is only natural option since MS paint and similar, dont have layers and features allowing freedom in your design.
One of ideas was to create software independent for this, but again it can't be good as using within Photoshop, plus its expensive thing to create.

As for non-Pro users and possibility to create any deck by anyone...lots of people came to me asking would be that possible from reason to create something for their kids and/or friends. This is simply an option to have fun and make a surprise for someone. It's not created to replace work of card artists - rather to help them as any other software. Its up to user to discover his/her artistry. 

O, last thing - dont know why you think that Photoshop is expensive. Firstly, for free you can download a trial (30 days) and second - its $10 for one month. You dont have to use license all the time... use it when you wish to create deck. My thing is to make sure that people who aren't familiar with Photoshop, to be able to use plug-in. Again, if you are a designer then your options are unlimited and your job will become much easier.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:00:24 AM by NgNash »

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Photoshop used to be expensive but creative cloud has made it very affordable.
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 10:59:40 AM »

NgNash

True.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

True.

Creative Cloud versions of Adobe software isn't a purchase.  It's a rental.

Anything that's made with a CC version is NOT reverse-compatible to a purchased (or freely-downloaded, unlicensed) version.  I run in to this all the time with InDesign when creating new issues of CARD CULTURE.  I'm using the CC version, the other people I work with have the purchased versions, and if they open a ID file I send them, they're forced to "upgrade" to CC or they can't view the file.  I have to constantly save the files as PDFs just so they can see them, but they can't edit them, leaving the edits to me, the only guy using the CC version...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 05:17:07 PM »

NgNash

That's a case with InDesign and Illustrator (probably with Premiere and After too). But not with Photoshop!  PSD is PSD and if it's "regular" file with basic layers etc.... you can go in CS3 or earlier and you will open it (know this for sure). Only case and it will inform you, if you have some features in files that didn't existed in earlier versions (for example, video layers or some effects). All this time this was the greatest advantage of Photoshop... to be able to open file in earlier versions.  There are tricks for Premiere (that I know), and know one for Illustrator. I'm afraid that InDesign is out of my league.

Anyway, Playing Card Wizard will work no matter what version of PS are you using... At least I know for sure till CS3.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
A bit late to the party, but just for knowledge - you can easily save InDesign and Illustrator files in CC so that they can be opened in C6 and older. It's in the settings for when you save the files.

Regarding the original topic - I can't really think of any plugins that would help with designing. There are plugins that help out with doing stuff easier and faster, but you don't really need anything too specific - regular efficiency plugins will do just fine.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »

variantventures

• Forum Regular
GIMP.  Allows for scripted plug-ins, has a robust user community to provide support, has layers, filters, and all manner of goodies, and it's not going to suddenly become incompatible with your plug-in because the company has found a new revenue model.