The DFC Deck [KS]

Author (Read 2009 times)

The DFC Deck [KS]
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
So this 13-year-old in the UK decided he wants to make a deck of cards...

(Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, right?)

And it's supposed to be the first deck of a trilogy.

[/slap target=forehead][/slap]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/punchmile/the-dfc-deck-of-playing-cards-the-start-to-a-trilo
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:43:46 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: The DFC Deck [KS]
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Hmmm fan of the back and the ace of spades but not so much the court design. I do like the feel of the courts though even though I don't like the design. I'm a little picky seeing as I've made some large card purchased recently so I'm a little short on money :((
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:37:34 AM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

WAit... a 13 year old designed this?!
This is really impressive though. Its much better than the other half of the decks being released in KS. I liked that he posted even his pencil sketches of his design.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:18:51 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
it does sound like a bad joke. But I will say I like the back. Though I would want him to change the court cards.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I actually kind of like this deck. He just needs to work on the court card's hands.
As a side note, the project is in pounds. That's the only conceivable reason I can think of why the SiShou deck isn't overfunded.
I don't think this will succeed.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »

benjitaylor

• Facebook:
Hi everyone. Thank you for your feedback and thoughts on the deck. It is very helpful. Im also, not the biggest fan of the court cards. I like the classic face but I don't think the rest really fits in. I will be changing them a lot but it would be really helpful to know what changes you think could work? Thanks.

- Benji

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »

Strag

• True Member
Please fix the backs.  The 3 & 4 are on opposite sides of a die and would never appear next to each other such as you show.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »

benjitaylor

• Facebook:
Yeah, that is one of the things I definitely will change. It was pointed out to me yesterday.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 04:20:29 PM »

benjitaylor

• Facebook:
This is the updated back design with the correct dice digits.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Thanks for keepig us updated! That makes much more sense now. Good work :) were you planning on changing the courts? I know you mentioned you weren't 100% satisfied with them. Look forward to see what you have in mind :))
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »

benjitaylor

• Facebook:
Yes, I will definitely be changing them but probably not unless the Kickstarter gets it's funding, the work might go to waste. If it gets funded then a lot of changes will be made to the court cards and the backers will get updated whenever a change is made or there is an update :)

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Yes, I will definitely be changing them but probably not unless the Kickstarter gets it's funding, the work might go to waste. If it gets funded then a lot of changes will be made to the court cards and the backers will get updated whenever a change is made or there is an update :)
This is a great start Benji! I do not however, think that this will get funded due to the greater quality of other decks out at the moment on KS, although that is not to say that this is terrible in any sense. Great to see a Brit doing some card designing!
As others have mentioned the hands on the court cards don't look realistic enough, but I do quite like the back design! I would back these if I had enough money but I've purchased too many decks in the recent months!

I look forward to future projects by you, great job Benji :D
Love is magic

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I hate to disappoint you, but to have better chances of 1) getting funded and 2) getting the project in on time, the smart way to go is to have the design completed before you even begin the Kickstarter project...

If you wanted to improve the courts, why didn't you do so BEFORE you launched?

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 01:54:10 AM »

benjitaylor

• Facebook:
Yeah, I only started thinking about the court cards once I had finished and launched the project. I am very skeptical about whether it will get its funding and if it doesn't, then I can redesign everything and hopefully make another project. Ill see how it goes though.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 11:26:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeah, I only started thinking about the court cards once I had finished and launched the project. I am very skeptical about whether it will get its funding and if it doesn't, then I can redesign everything and hopefully make another project. Ill see how it goes though.

Optionally, Benji, you have the choice to cancel the project yourself, polish it to your highest standards THEN create a new project for it on KS.  It's better to come to the table with a deck that's at least 95% finished if not 100% ready to send to the printer, contract only waiting to be funded and signed.  It sounds like a lot of work - and it is - but if you hold out on creating a truly finished project until the money is there, the money may never get there.  People seeing a less-than-ready project are hesitant to fund because they are uncertain as to whether the creator is capable of completion, and if he or she is, what the end result project will look like.  If you show them something that totally locked down except perhaps for a gaff card or a joker design, you've got your quote from USPC and the contract is ready for your autograph once the funding is completed, that's when people will take your project seriously and consider investing.

If you haven't noticed from my signature, I consult for designers looking to create a deck.

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 05:00:34 AM »

benjitaylor

• Facebook:
Thanks very much. I do know what you mean. I'm not sure about cancelling it just yet, I'm pretty sure it wont get its funding but I'll let it run over the weekend. I think, If I were to cancel it, I would come back on Kickstarter with a completely fresh design. And like you said, it would be practically completed.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
You know something Benji, this is one of the few Kickstarter projects that actually interest me. The back design is honestly something that fits magic well and also has elegance to it. The fact that this isn't just a bunch of clip art or photos slapped over a card makes it far more appealing to me. Great stuff!
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 06:46:39 AM »

benjitaylor

• Facebook:
Thank you very much! :)

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Considering his age, I was really impressed by these.

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 12:52:52 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
A 13 year old made this?

He has a bright future in design, that is for certain.
Forum Founder.