New KS Deck: Yellow Lotus

Author (Read 2698 times)

New KS Deck: Yellow Lotus
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:38:58 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
New deck out on Kickstarter. The Yellow Lotus deck.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1451394012/yellow-lotus-playing-cards?ref=live

This might honestly be the laziest deck in terms of design I've ever seen. The cross on the king isn't even centered.
My score: 2/10. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:40:45 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: New KS Deck: Yellow Lotus
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
These are foul, an abomination on pasteboard.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I'm inclined to agree with you. I like the attempt at simplified courts (like the V1 of V1-6 :D of the S&Ms) but they seem either incomplete or not done very professionally. Maybe with a little bit of work and practice the designer can actually pull it off. At this stage in the project, I'm gonna have to say "not good enough for me to back."
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

What in the world?! I don't even know.....
These look like memes. I'm sorry but everything is just all over the place. god knows what the back design might be. I'm so sorry mr. designer of this deck but maybe if you refined this a bit maybe it might become a little acceptable. For now. these are just "bleh"

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:58:28 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

It's from the same creator as the Forbidden Kingdoms Deck.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1451394012/forbidden-kingdoms?ref=users

They have 2 Deck KS projects up at the same time! I think with this Deck it's not lack of trying,
but a lack of skillset. If the Yellow Lotus images shown are the culmination of over a year's
work (in the project description), then it's time to go back to design school.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:40:52 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I don't want to bad mouth but it's pretty ballsy to throw another deck on kickstarter when your first deck is still unfunded with 12 days to go. ::)

I didn't pledge on their other deck...but if i did, this move may have pushed me to ask for a refund...just me talking here though ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:26:17 AM by S.C. »

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:40:58 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Why don't you all keep pledging and encouraging this nonsense... Shameful... There should be a separate thread for K.S. Garbage... Anything K.S. related should be posted there and leave room here for real playing cards...

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:55 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
The indices makes my eyes hurt, and the courts look like it's the first draft.

And this is a little sloppy:
 -------------------------------------------------------------
    Pledge $46 or more
    1 backer

Receive Six (7) decks. Us Free shipping. International add 10 to your pledge
    Estimated delivery: May 2013
    Add $10 to ship outside the US
 -------------------------------------------------------------
Wait, do I get six or 7 decks?

I hate to bash on other people's work, but i don't like these enough to back them.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, there's quite a few things about this project that are leaving me puzzled.

First - it reached its goal.  It helps when you have such a low goal, only $2,000.  I'm absolutely shocked that two people invested in this thing at the $600 level!!!

Now, about that goal...Forbidden Kingdoms has a goal of $9,000, which itself is a really small amount for a custom deck, especially as it prominently listed USPC as the printer.  This originally appeared as "Bicycle Yellow Lotus", didn't it?  Regardless of that, now there's no mention of Bicycle or USPC on the project.  He mentions in the YL home page that he's making the deck with his own funds he's saved plus the $2,000 he's about to raise through KS.  So, where were these funds when FK was being made?  Did he just now save them?

With the horrible spelling on both projects, they appear as if it was created by a grade schooler.  And the art on Yellow Lotus looks downright childish - as if it was made with an Amiga 500 and a cheap paint program about twenty years ago.  Nowhere is there anything in the art that ties into the theme of "yellow lotus" - no court character is holding any, there's no pictures of it even on the ghastly-looking box, never mind the cards, etc.  The most (ahem) "innovative" thing about this design is that he made the red suits black, and the black suits red.  Niiiiiiiiiice...

And I found it interesting that in the "Challenges" section for the project, he made no mention of the fact that he's running two simultaneous deck projects.  I'd consider that a big challenge to say the least, wouldn't you?

Even if this deck wasn't baboon's-ass, double-coyote ugly, I wouldn't be backing it.

Coyote ugly: that's when the sex partner you met last night while drunk turns out to be so ugly, you'd rather chew off your arm like a wild coyote in a trap than risk waking them while you make your getaway.

Double-coyote ugly: that's when last night's sex partner is SO coyote-ugly, you'd rather chew off your OTHER arm so they won't find you when they go looking for a one-armed person...

I think baboon's-ass ugly is pretty self-explanatory.  If not, shove your face in a baboon's ass and you tell me how ugly it is... 
:))
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:50:25 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
OK, there's quite a few things about this project that are leaving me puzzled.

First - it reached its goal.  It helps when you have such a low goal, only $2,000.  I'm absolutely shocked that two people invested in this thing at the $600 level!!!

Now, about that goal...Forbidden Kingdoms has a goal of $9,000, which itself is a really small amount for a custom deck, especially as it prominently listed USPC as the printer.  This originally appeared as "Bicycle Yellow Lotus", didn't it?  Regardless of that, now there's no mention of Bicycle or USPC on the project.  He mentions in the YL home page that he's making the deck with his own funds he's saved plus the $2,000 he's about to raise through KS.  So, where were these funds when FK was being made?  Did he just now save them?

With the horrible spelling on both projects, they appear as if it was created by a grade schooler.  And the art on Yellow Lotus looks downright childish - as if it was made with an Amiga 500 and a cheap paint program about twenty years ago.  Nowhere is there anything in the art that ties into the theme of "yellow lotus" - no court character is holding any, there's no pictures of it even on the ghastly-looking box, never mind the cards, etc.  The most (ahem) "innovative" thing about this design is that he made the red suits black, and the black suits red.  Niiiiiiiiiice...

And I found it interesting that in the "Challenges" section for the project, he made no mention of the fact that he's running two simultaneous deck projects.  I'd consider that a big challenge to say the least, wouldn't you?

Even if this deck wasn't baboon's-ass, double-coyote ugly, I wouldn't be backing it.

Coyote ugly: that's when the sex partner you met last night while drunk turns out to be so ugly, you'd rather chew off your arm like a wild coyote in a trap than risk waking them while you make your getaway.

Double-coyote ugly: that's when last night's sex partner is SO coyote-ugly, you'd rather chew off your OTHER arm so they won't find you when they go looking for a one-armed person...

I think baboon's-ass ugly is pretty self-explanatory.  If not, shove your face in a baboon's ass and you tell me how ugly it is... 
:))

Exactly what Don said.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:23:46 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:35:27 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND funded. Who the fuck pledges for these things?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND funded. Who the fuck pledges for these things?

Most of the cash came from two pledges of at least $600 a piece.  Let me guess: grandma and grandpa?  :))

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Project cancelled by designer due to uncut sheets no longer being available from the card company:

"Thank you kickstarters for all your support unfortunetly i am going to have to cancel the project. The card company that i was currently going to publish this deck with, says that they can no longer offer me uncut sheets. Since alot of you payed for uncut sheets, i am going to have to cancel the funding for this project. I will re launch this project again with a shorter duration so if you are still interested please back it again. I will also try to make this deck better, if there is something you will like changed from this deck or something added, please let me know and i will consider it. Any comments is appreciated.Thank you for all your support."

Yes, I was a backer, but for two decks. I try to acquire at least two decks of almost (almost) everything, just to have them. There have been a few that I have passed onn though! :-)

Hmmmm...upon further examination, there were several levels that included uncut sheets, and 16 backers for the 16 sheets available, including the one $500 backer that included 10 uncut sheets in the reward. It was at $2,055 ($55 over funding goal) when the plug was pulled. So basically, if we are to take the above cancellation at face value, the progect was scrapped due to the project's inability to deliver the 16 uncut sheets to the 7 backers that pledged for them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:02:35 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Project cancelled by designer due to uncut sheets no longer being available from the card company:

"Thank you kickstarters for all your support unfortunetly i am going to have to cancel the project. The card company that i was currently going to publish this deck with, says that they can no longer offer me uncut sheets. Since alot of you payed for uncut sheets, i am going to have to cancel the funding for this project. I will re launch this project again with a shorter duration so if you are still interested please back it again. I will also try to make this deck better, if there is something you will like changed from this deck or something added, please let me know and i will consider it. Any comments is appreciated.Thank you for all your support."

Yes, I was a backer, but for two decks. I try to acquire at least two decks of almost (almost) everything, just to have them. There have been a few that I have passed onn though! :-)

Hmmmm...upon further examination, there were several levels that included uncut sheets, and 16 backers for the 16 sheets available, including the one $500 backer that included 10 uncut sheets in the reward. It was at $2,055 ($55 over funding goal) when the plug was pulled. So basically, if we are to take the above cancellation at face value, the progect was scrapped due to the project's inability to deliver the 16 uncut sheets to the 7 backers that pledged for them.

I'm relieved it was canceled.  This certainly means that he never planned on using USPC for this deck.  And I think the deck is really, REALLY ugly.  Put your money into GOOD projects that need the help, like the SiShou - Four Beasts deck!

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Definitely some odd circumstances surrounding this one...Sometimes I wonder if people post an idea just to see what happens, then pull it once they realize that there is a good chance that they will have to turn their "Just to see what happens" idea into reality!

I'm already a backer for SiShou as well!! :-)

I'm fairly certain that I'm addicted to cards!

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Definitely some odd circumstances surrounding this one...Sometimes I wonder if people post an idea just to see what happens, then pull it once they realize that there is a good chance that they will have to turn their "Just to see what happens" idea into reality!

I'm already a backer for SiShou as well!! :-)

I'm fairly certain that I'm addicted to cards!

I would wager that they had "funding issues" - they have no growth at all, suddenly two people pledge at the $600 level, then no growth again...  I think they shill-pledged the $600 pledges in hopes that seeing a fully-pledged project would encourage people to pledge, but it doesn't appear to have worked and I'm thinking they got cold feet.  But this is strictly conjecture.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
Put your money into GOOD projects that need the help, like the SiShou - Four Beasts deck!

No DOUBT! This deck is SICK people!

(sick means good in California)
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy