You are Here:
Need advice, injured thumb what can I do?

Author (Read 2456 times)

Need advice, injured thumb what can I do?
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Hi Aether cards!
Yesterday in cooking a knife I was using cut right through a pepper and into my thumb, deeply!
Now I am stuck with a load of plasters on my thumb and need help, I can overhand shuffle, spread properly, riffle force or anything that requires grip, I need help coming up with something to put on the plasters so I can at least peel off a single card :')
Sorry about this strange post!
-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

Re: Need advice, injured thumb what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Hi Aether cards!
Yesterday in cooking a knife I was using cut right through a pepper and into my thumb, deeply!
Now I am stuck with a load of plasters on my thumb and need help, I can overhand shuffle, spread properly, riffle force or anything that requires grip, I need help coming up with something to put on the plasters so I can at least peel off a single card :')
Sorry about this strange post!
-Benny
Take a single card, and place it deep in your wound, the magic of the cards should heal it that way. Then after, to help speed up the process put salt and lemon juice in the wound too.

Just kidding... But seriously, just let it heal or buy some medical tape from Sainsbury's or something :P

P.S. Take a picture and put it up ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:04:15 AM by DrianAbara »
Love is magic

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:04:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Have you tried a thin latex glove?  Depending on where the cut is, you can clip the thumb off the glove and use just that to cover your finger, with a little sports tape to keep it in place.  It will provide additional protection from dirt, too.  If the cut's in a less-than-convenient place, wear the glove, but cut off the fingers instead of the thumb - this allows you full use of the other four fingers.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
this is an opportunity to use your other hand :) .. you'll go from being left or right handed to being ambidextrous :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Thank you guys!
Don's Idea is probably the best and I'll be trying it soon, and I am nearly ambidextrous already, but half my routines require use of both :')
Thank you
-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
Thank you guys!
Don's Idea is probably the best and I'll be trying it soon, and I am nearly ambidextrous already, but half my routines require use of both :')
Thank you
-Benny

what do you mean "nearly ambidextrous"  :) i can do plenty of one handed cuts in both hands but i can't write for SH#t in my left hand.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:42:59 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Oh dear!!! you cut your thumb?!!! thats really unfortunate. I would highly advice that you let your thumb heal properly and not put too much strain on it. BUt like what the others said, practice with your uninjured hand and give your thumb a rest for the meantime. :)

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 11:51:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you guys!
Thank you
-Benny

Be careful not to overdo it - give your injury a chance to heal or you could turn it into something worse.  I learned this in martial arts (aikido) after becoming the most injury-prone person in my dojo...

what do you mean "nearly ambidextrous"  :) i can do plenty of one handed cuts in both hands but i can't write for SH#t in my left hand.

Most people have some degree of ability in both hands, especially for certain tasks.  I can bat righty or lefty, my lefty throws are more accurate while my righty throws are more powerful, and I can't write to save my life with my right hand.  This would make me predominantly a lefty.  Oddly enough, I fire pistols with my right hand, rifles and shotguns with my left hand.  That's probably due to (for some bizarre reason) my right arm being stronger than my left arm - pistols require more arm strength than rifles to counter the recoil, while rifles require a strong back and shoulder.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:13:33 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
let it heal before doing anything with it. One thing I've learned more than anything from weightlifting is to let injuries heal completely before attempting to do anything with them, despite how incredibly tempting it is to work through it. In the long run it'll be way better for you, believe me.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 03:01:30 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
I have had this dilemma many times cooking for my mothers business and such. I just whack a band aid on it and let it heal.
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 04:44:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have had this dilemma many times cooking for my mothers business and such. I just whack a band aid on it and let it heal.

Yeah, but he's trying to practice cardistry and all the "plasters" (we call 'em Band-Aids here, too, despite it being a name brand, because "adhesive bandages" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue) are interfering with his ability to function.  In other words, he's already whacked a Band-Aid on it and it's not enough to get the job done.

It's not that dissimilar to when someone shows up at the dojo with a Band-Aid on.  There's no way on Earth that it's going to stay in place, not only because of all the moving and flexing it would have to endure, but also because the sweating will cancel out the adhesive.  You have to slap some sports tape on the bandage if you expect your wound to remain covered.  And trust me, with all the microbial funk that takes place in a dojo, you WANT that wound covered...  Sometimes, depending on who's been practicing, even the bleach wash we use on the mats isn't enough...  Especially when it's that guy with the mildew stains on his gi who doesn't believe in deodorant...

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:21 AM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Thank you guys for your concern,
I have put 2 plasters on it and put a latex glove thumb on it so I can at least deal,
I won't do much with it for a few days but thank you for your help
-Benny
Derren Brown

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »

shz

• True Member
  • Image credit blazingtalent.deviantart.com
I understand what you are feeling. Not too long ago, I had cut away a very small segment from the corner of my left index finger while I cooking. I don't usually cut myself, and never had a cut that severe.  Just keep the wound clean and it will heal in due time. Thankfully mine healed completely and with no scars. During the recovery process, I  practiced one handed cuts for the most part and would recommend the same to you.

Get well soon kid  :)
"It's like you're invisible... just the back of an 'ead"

MAJOR brownie points if you get it.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I understand what you are feeling. Not too long ago, I had cut away a very small segment from the corner of my left index finger while I cooking. I don't usually cut myself, and never had a cut that severe.  Just keep the wound clean and it will heal in due time. Thankfully mine healed completely and with no scars. During the recovery process, I  practiced one handed cuts for the most part and would recommend the same to you.

Get well soon kid  :)

I agree with the sentiment, i caught my self with a box cutter years ago when i worked as a box boy at a K-mart on the index finger of my left hand, no big deal for a right hander with everything, except holding a deck of cards. :( however it did force me to learn things with my other hand i may have not taken the time to learn otherwise. sometimes these things can be a blessing in disguise. Unfortunately i wasn't as lucky and was left with a scar (its faded pretty much over time thankfully). any way good luck with the healing and hopefully its not too long before your up and running again. oh and Neosporin helps loads with recovery time and scar prevention.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »

shz

• True Member
  • Image credit blazingtalent.deviantart.com
Agree, guess I lucked out because of using antiseptic ointment on a regular basis, something sort of similar to neosporin.  Benny, try to look for an ointment called Fucidin (or something with the same active ingredient, since Fucidin is the product name made by leo). It should be available in the UK under that name though.

Once again, get well soon, kid.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:46:31 PM by shz »
"It's like you're invisible... just the back of an 'ead"

MAJOR brownie points if you get it.

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:00:53 AM »

therealmackay

• True Member
In future, if you use sharp object, ensure there is an adult around to supervise - and if you must use a knife without an adult ensure you cut away from your body.

;)

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
If you find latex gloves a bit too bulky, you can always buy some liquid bandage. Where I live, the climate is extremely dry, and if I don't moisturize, my fingers crack really bad. It stings a bit when you apply it, but it seals the crack/cut really well, and only covers the cut area.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)