• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: New KS Deck: The Hedge
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:38 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I'm torn on this deck. I don't really like the concept of the "hedge maze" and how the design looks. I guess to me, it feels like someone went on photoshop and placed the standard court member on a hedge maze background. Yet, I feel myself liking it for reasons unknown the more I look at it. I guess you can say "it's growing on me."

Maybe I'll stare at this deck a little more then decide to back if it turns out I like it!  :)
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:58:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm kind of indifferent.  Couldn't watch the video so I have no way of knowing what the back looks like.

I'm getting a bit pickier about what I buy these days.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:49 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I'm kind of indifferent.  Couldn't watch the video so I have no way of knowing what the back looks like.

I'm getting a bit pickier about what I buy these days.

The video actually doesn't show the back design unfortunately. The strange thing is they the pips are customized but the small pip under the indices on the counting cards is standard and not customized. But here are the other suites just for fun. The pips on the cards match the suit within the court design.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:10:47 AM by Michael »
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:08:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The video actually doesn't show the back design unfortunately. The strange thing is they the pips are customized but the small pop under the indices on the counting cards is standard and not customized. But here are the other suites just for fun. The pips on the cards match the suit within the court design.

I'm presuming that you meant small PIP in the indices...  :))

It's actually not uncommon for the indices to remain standard in some deck designs.  For any deck to be useful, you need to recognize and be able to read the index on each card quickly and easily, allowing you to focus more on the game, the trick, etc.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:14:08 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

The video actually doesn't show the back design unfortunately. The strange thing is they the pips are customized but the small pop under the indices on the counting cards is standard and not customized. But here are the other suites just for fun. The pips on the cards match the suit within the court design.

I'm presuming that you meant small PIP in the indices...  :))

It's actually not uncommon for the indices to remain standard in some deck designs.  For any deck to be useful, you need to recognize and be able to read the index on each card quickly and easily, allowing you to focus more on the game, the trick, etc.

Bah darn autocorrect! But yes I meant pip and I fixed it too :P but hmm yes I guess that would make sense. I sort of like the custom pips. The hearts look uncannily Ike fingerprints though.... I actually doubt this would be a deck I'd be picking up soon only due to the fact that it hasn't "wow'd" me yet.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:52:35 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
From what we see of the design I can say that it's gorgeous! I love it. Although the name definitely needs a change. I'm suggesting Labyrinth playing cards.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 06:33:09 AM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
I like the deck overall... I think the maze-idea is okay, I guess I'm not really impressed, but I like it.. the pip design is really appealing to me though! Reminds me in one or another way of The Ritual Deck (still talking about the pips)... I guess I'll pick up one or two, just to see how they will turn out  :P

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:10 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Like the maze concept but I don't like the hedge idea. :( its just a bit too.... uhm... crowded for me. I mean I know there are other decks with more details and elements but I feel this is just not put well together for me.
Its just my opinion of course. Best of luck!

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Like the maze concept but I don't like the hedge idea. :( its just a bit too.... uhm... crowded for me. I mean I know there are other decks with more details and elements but I feel this is just not put well together for me.
Its just my opinion of course. Best of luck!

Understandably. There are some pretty busy elements. My main problem with this deck is the fact that the spades and clubs are inconsistent with the hearts and diamonds. I think this deck would be much better if they styled the black pips like the red ones.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Name it 'The Maze Deck' or 'The Lost Deck' or something more capturing like that, instead of Hedge Deck. I really like the design though, the name is just a bit dull :D

EDIT: I really like the idea of it being called 'Labyrinth Deck'
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:37:16 AM by DrianAbara »
Love is magic

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Understandably. There are some pretty busy elements. My main problem with this deck is the fact that the spades and clubs are inconsistent with the hearts and diamonds. I think this deck would be much better if they styled the black pips like the red ones.

Ah, but notice the background maze is the same color as the "black" pips.  Make them mazes like the red pips and you won't even see the pip anymore, just all maze!

Name it 'The Maze Deck' or 'The Lost Deck' or something more capturing like that, instead of Hedge Deck. I really like the design though, the name is just a bit dull :D

EDIT: I really like the idea of it being called 'Labyrinth Deck'

Yeah, it is a boring name.  But still, he's basing it on hedge mazes.  Call it "Labyrinth" and it doesn't have the same connotations.  Notice the vast amounts of GREEN used in the deck, to represent the bushes and hedges making up the maze...  The "Lost Deck" could be about a guys' night out turned into the bender from hell...

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Ah, but notice the background maze is the same color as the "black" pips.  Make them mazes like the red pips and you won't even see the pip anymore, just all maze!

Ohhh, good point. But if he made them with bolder, more defined lines (possibly a less complex maze), they would fit in much better the overall theme.I feel like the design on the spade and club were almost smacked on as an afterthought as it is.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Ohhh, good point. But if he made them with bolder, more defined lines (possibly a less complex maze), they would fit in much better the overall theme.I feel like the design on the spade and club were almost smacked on as an afterthought as it is.

I think he probably did design the hearts and diamonds first and it seems like he ran out of design ideas for the spades and clubs. I mean honestly, how many variations of hedge mazes can you do within a pip :D I honestly don't see anything wrong with working with a similar hedge maze design for the "black" pips but why not actually just make them black? Or make the court background design black.

I just resonate with Mollusk's comment on it looking like an afterthought. :(

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:10 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

I think he probably did design the hearts and diamonds first and it seems like he ran out of design ideas for the spades and clubs. I mean honestly, how many variations of hedge mazes can you do within a pip :D I honestly don't see anything wrong with working with a similar hedge maze design for the "black" pips but why not actually just make them black? Or make the court background design black.

I just resonate with Mollusk's comment on it looking like an afterthought. :(

I asked the creator about it and this is what he said:

"That was the issue with the clubs and spades. I had originally designed mazes for them as well, but it blended in so much that it didn't look good. So I went the other route instead. It's interesting because the clubs and spades are actually more like a hedge maze now than the hearts and the diamonds are.
There was a similar issue with the back. We ended up having to scale back our original design so that USPCC could print it without mistakes. I've seen that the back has been taking some hits on blogs, but the positive behind it is that it is actually do-able (so we shouldn't run into months long delays because we've actually been in contact USPCC). It's a little easier to design a crazy back with what I'll call an "illustration" deck (which I'll be doing in the future if this one goes well). The White Rabbit Deck (which I love and will be backing) is an example of this. Because we opted for a themed "Design" desk this time, it is WAY harder to integrate an illustrated back, because the fronts are basically geometric. I designed a 3D looking maze for the back that looked sick, but, again, there were concerns that they couldn't be printed without being a little blurred. The tradeoff is really that (in my opinion) our back is much less susceptible to printing errors and will look better on a wall (if someone chooses to do that)."

I don't think complexity would be an issue for the USPC, but so it goes.
Oh. and we finally got a peek at the enlarged back design.

Bit to "electronic" for this deck, imo.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I asked the creator about it and this is what he said:

"That was the issue with the clubs and spades. I had originally designed mazes for them as well, but it blended in so much that it didn't look good. So I went the other route instead. It's interesting because the clubs and spades are actually more like a hedge maze now than the hearts and the diamonds are.
There was a similar issue with the back. We ended up having to scale back our original design so that USPCC could print it without mistakes. I've seen that the back has been taking some hits on blogs, but the positive behind it is that it is actually do-able (so we shouldn't run into months long delays because we've actually been in contact USPCC). It's a little easier to design a crazy back with what I'll call an "illustration" deck (which I'll be doing in the future if this one goes well). The White Rabbit Deck (which I love and will be backing) is an example of this. Because we opted for a themed "Design" desk this time, it is WAY harder to integrate an illustrated back, because the fronts are basically geometric. I designed a 3D looking maze for the back that looked sick, but, again, there were concerns that they couldn't be printed without being a little blurred. The tradeoff is really that (in my opinion) our back is much less susceptible to printing errors and will look better on a wall (if someone chooses to do that)."

I don't think complexity would be an issue for the USPC, but so it goes.
Oh. and we finally got a peek at the enlarged back design.

Bit to "electronic" for this deck, imo.

I agree about the back - at first glance it looked like a circuit board.

But yes, there are limits to the amount of detail that USPC can print on a card.  Especially if the card has an embossed surface - some of the finer details can be lost or print misshaped in the embossing.  It's a high enough limit for most cases, but not enough for something insanely hyper-detailed.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Funny how I thought it was a circuit board at first. Thought I might've stumbled on the wrong thread. But to be honest, if it didn't have the bold central octagon (which from far away just looks like a circle) and something else less bold it would be a home run for me.

Don't know why but I like the back more than I would've expected. Just can't over the fact that it does look slightly electronic. But this deck seems to be shaping up to something I like!

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 12:06:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think I know, finally, what's bothering me about this design.  It's called "The Hedge", it shows hedge mazes (as seen from a great distance above), but we don't see any actual hedges, no plant life.  There's (for obvious reasons) no grass in the pathways, not a single deciduous leaf or coniferous needle.  It's practically sterile.  With all those details missing, these could be just another series of mazes out of a children's puzzle book.  Maybe instead of views from low Earth orbit, perhaps some could be just a bit closer in and actually show some greenery rather than just the color green.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 12:16:50 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I think I know, finally, what's bothering me about this design.  It's called "The Hedge", it shows hedge mazes (as seen from a great distance above), but we don't see any actual hedges, no plant life.  There's (for obvious reasons) no grass in the pathways, not a single deciduous leaf or coniferous needle.  It's practically sterile.  With all those details missing, these could be just another series of mazes out of a children's puzzle book.  Maybe instead of views from low Earth orbit, perhaps some could be just a bit closer in and actually show some greenery rather than just the color green.

Hmm that's actually a good point. If, say, a color blind person that was not familiar with the deck were to pick up the deck, we'd be lucky if they knew it was "hedge" themed. I have nothing against the theme and as I've said, I'm beginning to grow familiar with the deck's design. But your point is well made Don.

Without the color green, this could very well be a "labyrinth" deck or even a simple "maze" deck. I'm not sure if this would look good in practice and I'm not sure if the USPCC would allow it, but the courts could even be designed to look like those bush sculptures (not sure of the technical name) that are usually found within hedge mazes. That at least would put some life into this deck. :D

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 04:24:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hmm that's actually a good point. If, say, a color blind person that was not familiar with the deck were to pick up the deck, we'd be lucky if they knew it was "hedge" themed. I have nothing against the theme and as I've said, I'm beginning to grow familiar with the deck's design. But your point is well made Don.

Without the color green, this could very well be a "labyrinth" deck or even a simple "maze" deck. I'm not sure if this would look good in practice and I'm not sure if the USPCC would allow it, but the courts could even be designed to look like those bush sculptures (not sure of the technical name) that are usually found within hedge mazes. That at least would put some life into this deck. :D

It's a full custom deck - he can make the courts practically any way he wants, within certain limits - primarily either too detailed or possibly considered objectionable on religious grounds (like when the Karnival Inferno deck was forced to tone down its art and remove the Bicycle name from the deck).

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This deck was so successful, they've started a KS to make a stripper version of it - and it's already reached its goal!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/farocards/the-hedge-bicycle-special-edition-stripper-decks

This project is LIMITED to only 275 decks, and you have an option to get extra standard decks from the original project as well as ordering more strippers.  And it has a WAY short deadline - Monday next week!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:14:49 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
There's a new stripper version of this deck on KickStarter

The Hedge Bicycle® SPECIAL EDITION STRIPPER DECKS
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/farocards/the-hedge-bicycle-special-edition-stripper-decks?ref=search

This new version has its own separate KS project;
Exact same deck, but shaved
$10 each
the funding goal was only $700 so that was met in about a minute,
he's only going to sell 275

They're already up to $2600+, so I was thinking that they'd already sold out, but I was wrong.  It was a bit confusing because he also included a backing level for buying the regular, non-stripper decks.  He then wrote an explanation that I didn't fully understand, but I get the main point ... when they get to within 15 of selling out, they will CHANGE the backing levels so you can only pledge for one deck at a time.  That way, they'll hit the number of stripper decks exactly.

... no one needs to worry about the quantity of stripper decks. We did a (thus far) very accurate estimation as to how many each person is going to buy (1.3 on average). As we get closer, we anticipate actually having about 15 to 20 left at which point we will create a new pledge level for just one stripper deck per pledge with no add on option. We've also got a 13 deck reserve (because we have to have them printed in multiples of 144).

So if the pledge description shows only one stripper deck per pledge, you'll know that they've only got a dozen or so left.

The project will only be up for 5 days

P.S. Sorry Don ... I didn't see that you had posted this same update until I had already started a duplicate update.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:54:39 AM by GBAllison »

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 04:36:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
P.S. Sorry Don ... I didn't see that you had posted this same update until I had already started a duplicate update.

Yeah, you have to check the NDR more often.  All the new decks go there.  If you don't see it there, odds are I haven't caught on to it yet.  :))  The New Deck Report is a great resource.