Author (Read 7051 times)

Bicycle/Bee/Tally-Ho Erratic Kings - Coming Christmas Day to KS
« on: December 11, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I've been waiting for someone to finally do this... and it looks like it's going to be Bill Collins (Bicycle Voyager)

All 3 at once... Bicycle, Bee, Tally-Ho...

I do wish the tucks had more color to them

and I think this may be one of the backs...

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Bicycle/Bee/Tally-Ho Erratic Kings - Coming Christmas Day to KS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I've been waiting for someone to finally do this... and it looks like it's going to be Bill Collins (Bicycle Voyager)

CBJ

WOW their minimum pledge goal will have to be astronomical. Buyer Beware.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Oh god... Those horribly thick borders  ??? :mindf-ck:

They even have an extra white border  :-\
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:33:29 PM by MagikFingerz »
- Tom

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:40:02 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I tend to fall in line with the trend now and favor thinner borders as well. The tuck box is at least nice and detailed.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Is it usual to have bicycle deck with a cambric finish? I've only ever seen them on bee decks
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

CBJ

WOW their minimum pledge goal will have to be astronomical. Buyer Beware.

When the dude who does 50 decks in one project says buyer beware it catches my ear, I will watch out.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Is it usual to have bicycle deck with a cambric finish? I've only ever seen them on bee decks

There is no such thing as cambric or liniod finish anymore. Only Smooth and Magic, unless you just putting the word on the box.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:28:38 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

There is no such thing as cambric finish anymore. Only Smooth and Magic, unless you just putting the word on the box.

What's cambric finish meant to be then? Because I've seen them on a lot of bee decks, especially from CARC

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

There is no such thing as cambric finish anymore. Only Smooth and Magic, unless you just putting the word on the box.

What's cambric finish meant to be then? Because I've seen them on a lot of bee decks, especially from CARC
r
Cambric refers to the type of cloth that was on the finishing roller at the time of the application. USPC has since discontinued the practice of using fabric applied finishes e.g. Linen & cambric (both cloth types which produce different textures when applying finish) Now the finishing texture or embossing is applied with a huge steel roller that actually embosses the paper instead of leaving a texture like in previous years.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:32:49 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

r
Cambric refers to the type of cloth that was on the finishing roller at the time of the application. USPC has since discontinued the practice of using fabric applied finishes e.g. Linen & cambric (both cloth types which produce different textures when applying finish) Now the finishing texture or embossing is applied with a huge steel roller that actually embosses the paper instead of leaving a texture like in previous years.

So, kind of like a woven piece of cloth but for cards? An I right in thinking cambric made the deck last longer?

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

r

So, kind of like a woven piece of cloth but for cards? An I right in thinking cambric made the deck last longer?

The cards them selves are not made of cambric or linen only the applicator of the finish that the cards past under. Does that make since? Almost like a huge paint brush made of linen or cambric.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

r

The cards them selves are not made of cambric or linen only the applicator of the finish that the cards past under. Does that make since? Almost like a huge paint brush made of linen or cambric.

Yup, makes sense. Thank you :)

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Jackson you might help on this one.

So it looks like the first 3 are going to be bicycle stock and last one is going to be Bee stock.

It looks like the first 2 will have embossed finish and the last 2 will have smooth finish.

I know it cost extra to use the bicycle logo, but will it cost him extra to use the word.  "Tally-Ho" and "Bee"  I thinking its not sense it's in the middle of the box and I've only heard of the bicycle banding. 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:16:32 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 09:30:17 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Jackson you might help on this one.

So it looks like the first 3 are going to be bicycle stock and last one is going to be Bee stock.

It looks like the first 2 will have embossed finish and the last 2 will have smooth finish.

I know it cost extra to use the bicycle logo, but will it cast him extra to use the word.  "Tally-Ho" and "Bee"  I thinking its not sense it's in the middle of the box and I've only heard of the bicycle banding.

Simply answered.... Yes, Yes and yes. It will cost him extra for each brand logo and also extra for each finish and stock not including that each stock and finish (even if the backs and faces are exactly the same) will each have minimum order runs separate. It will no doubt be very expensive. The fear I would have with running something like this especially if the cards are all exactly the same is people will mostly likely pick their horse and stick with it. Or even worse jump ship an say the Tally Hoos or Bikes to go to Bees if the goal is met and leave the creator with a ton of unsold decks.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 12:20:02 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
"Tally-Ho" and "Bee"  I thinking its not sense it's in the middle of the box and I've only heard of the bicycle banding.

I kinda understand why he has Bicycle aligned top while Bee and Tally-Ho middle is because that is the alignment of their logos in the standard decks.
But i personally feel if the tuck is gonna be this plain with the maroon branding, the decks would kinda look "messy" for a series. I kinda wish the tuck had a little more colour to blend the branding in together so it would not be so obvious that one is unbranded, one has it top while 2 has it middle. It wouldn't look all over the place. At least that is what i think.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 12:56:58 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
Well just to defend my self the minimum pledge will just cover the non branded and Bicycle brand,. After talking to USPCC in emails as well as on the phone to make sure everything is clear, I can break my minimum order up in all brands and pay for only the tuck change, and if the Bee brand is reached all decks will be upgraded to Bee stock, in return of that the new minimum order will go to 5,000 decks because they out source the tuck case because it is slightly larger.

A few quote's from USPCC from my endless emails reads “Correct: linoid, cambric, linen, air-cushion, magic are all different ways to describe our embossed finish. Thanks! “

and Just to clarify the difference in the paper I will quote from USPCC once again “We use the same paper stock for both our Bicycle and Bee Grade papers. Bee is just crushed to a very slightly thicker caliper.”
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 01:46:24 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Bill Collins - Actually, I think you should keep the stock and finish the way it is with no bee stretch goal.  I think people would like to feel the differences in the stocks and finishes.  Granted now I see what your doing. The first and second deck are basically the same just a different tuck box.  People will probably be more inclined to get the bicycle branded tuck box so you going to need a minimum of 1000 of the unbranded.  I hope you make a good pledge for 1 of each of the 4 decks and a better pledge for 2 of each of the 4 decks for collectors.  Those 2 rewards will be your meat and potato pledges.  So in reality your going for 2 runs of 2,500 decks and one Bee run for 5,000 decks for a total of 10,000 decks.  So basically, your trying to do a Jackson Robison with more bells and whistles with the stock and finish. I like it.  Are we going to see a Kickstarter preview?  It's good to have many eyes on your project before the launch....   

You could have a stretch goal to have an additional deck done with Bee and Embossed...  5 Decks
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:08:42 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Personally, I like the concept.  We see a zillion Bicycle-branded custom decks, but it's less common for a Bee deck and downright rare for a Tally-Ho deck.  To my knowledge, all Tally Ho "custom" decks are just color changes thus far, so if Bill makes it to that stretch goal, he'll be breaking some new ground.  I know back in the day there were more TH backs out there, but that hasn't been the case for decades.

The challenge will be in making it through all those stretch goals - when there's little more than a name differentiating the decks from each other.  Consider doing what David Blaine deck for his Tally Ho and Bee decks - keep the original Ace of Spades, and perhaps even the Jokers as well, while making the courts the most unique and maybe tweaking the spot cards/pips.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 05:55:16 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

r

Thank you for the explanation!
And may I suggest one thing for all of you that know this kind of info: why don't create a topic with a kind of diccionary or encyclopedia about all these terms concerning playing cards? It would be very interesting and veru useful.

Enthusiast collector

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 06:18:13 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Personally really looking forward to this one, to see how it pans out. I'm with CBJ and Don - i've been waiting for someone to do this for a while, but perhaps a series of 3 projects may have been easier to get funded?

Bill - I understand why you've gone for a Christmas day start - it's got guaranteed attention and (in the UK at least, not sure about US) it's become a very big online shopping day, but.. The size that this is likely to be, I wouldn't be supremely confident that this will get funded as aside from the first week, it's in the month of the year when people generally feel a little shorter on disposable income.

I like this post on Kardify.com in terms of analysing the KS projects over the past 12 months, and you can clearly see most project starters stay away at that time of year, probably for that reason.

I really wish you all the best, i'll be following closely to see how it pans out :) Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:21:43 AM by JPMiddleton »
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
So, are they all going to have the same back design? If so, I don't see the point of additional branding beyond Bicycle. Tally Ho and Bee are used so rarely that I would like to see some kind of connection to them, like the Bees being borderless and Tally Ho having some kind of similarity to circle or fan backs.
- Tom

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 06:56:02 AM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Wow, I guess the USPCC changed their policies and legal has let up a bit. A year ago when I was launching my Mythos: Necronomicon deck, I planned a similar approach with a Bicycle brand and stock deck and a Bee brand and Stock deck...they said nay. Even though they were to be 2 deck runs with 2 different stocks, legal said the can't "cross brand" products since they're still considered the same deck. I still have the pitch mock ups I made to present my plan to USPCC. Now I guess we all have some options again.

I do think this deck is interesting but if there's nothing to distinguish between the brands, than it's just a gimmick to sell additional decks of the same kind. Granted I would probably pick up more than one myself  ::) Still, If you have a Bee deck, it should be bee casino stock without a doubt from the start. At least that way the Bee and Bicycle decks have their own standard recognizable stocks. Tally-Ho is another situation as well.
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like the architectural take on the deck boxes, with the corner of the boxes representing the corner of a building. Nice touch!
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

And may I suggest one thing for all of you that know this kind of info: why don't create a topic with a kind of diccionary or encyclopedia about all these terms concerning playing cards? It would be very interesting and veru useful.

We have a sticky topic with information about playing cards - fact or fiction.  It's not totally accurate and needs an update, but it's there.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

We have a sticky topic with information about playing cards - fact or fiction.  It's not totally accurate and needs an update, but it's there.

Yes, indeed it is.
Thank you for the information Don. It has very interesting information.
Enthusiast collector