Reviews: Artist's Edition Actuators

Author (Read 3619 times)

Reviews: Artist's Edition Actuators
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »

lancetmiller

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hey Everyone,

I know that it has been a long and bumpy road but the Actuators are finally printed and are in stock! I am selling them as are Jason at the1eyedjack.com and John whom you might know as Ace King. There are also several international vendors who have picked them up in small quantities.

Anyway, The decks have been out a couple of weeks now and reviews and videos are starting to pop up. I figured I'd share a couple to whet your appetite:

This is from Jason at the1eyedjack.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QlCr2Pv5L4

This is from SacProductions101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZI9YtuhOo

This last one is from Vjose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_nzn7pEfM

There is one from SinSandman as well, but since he uploaded it direct to FB, I don't know how to link it.

If any of you have done or will be doing a video review on this deck please let me know, I would love to check it out. I will also share them on my Facebook page and possibly my website if it is a good quality video. Also if you are going to do flourish or magic videos with them, I am extremely interested in those.

- Lance

Re: Reviews: Artist's Edition Actuators
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:04:22 AM »

wrassling

• Banned

• Tumblr:

• YouTube:
Yo lance,

I'm still a "hater". I think the cards look like they come from a novelty deck. The face cards looks similar to a poker deck I have. Wassup wid dat shiat?
youtube.com/wrassling

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Yo lance,

I'm still a "hater". I think the cards look like they come from a novelty deck. The face cards looks similar to a poker deck I have. Wassup wid dat shiat?

I think the best approach is to buy what you love, give constructive criticism when you can, and hope things change to your way.

I adore the boxes though. Absolutely stunning. I still think the court cards should be more realism-heavy in terms of the art. Regardless, the real thing we must realize is that this is the only steampunk deck in our market seeing as how the T11 release does not have a single steampunk feature.

When you beat T11, you can start bragging I think.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:55:50 AM »

wrassling

• Banned

• Tumblr:

• YouTube:
You don't think it looks one bit like a novelty deck?
youtube.com/wrassling

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 07:02:49 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Considering I live in novelty deck capital of the world, yes and no. There are some sexy novelty decks out there. I think Lance's work integrates that pure artistic feel with traditional playing card aspects.

Now, the design is light years from practical. This is an art deck, a collector's deck and a flourishing deck. If I were half decent at cardistry, I would love to shoot some videos with this. Magicians and poker players may not prefer it, although it does come with a sweet gaff card!

Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Considering I live in novelty deck capital of the world, yes and no. There are some sexy novelty decks out there. I think Lance's work integrates that pure artistic feel with traditional playing card aspects.

Now, the design is light years from practical. This is an art deck, a collector's deck and a flourishing deck. If I were half decent at cardistry, I would love to shoot some videos with this. Magicians and poker players may not prefer it, although it does come with a sweet gaff card!

I think the deck's fine for magic, but less practical for card playing.  Magic doesn't require practical decks (coughSKULLDECKcough)...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I think the deck is amazing. Far from a novelty deck and as for the realism of the courts...that was not the intent. He took actual people and immortalized them into animation on the deck. I also think it is great for any use of cards. Not being a fanboy, just think the deck is far beyond any other steam punk deck out...looking at you, you know who you are
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
looking at you, you know who you are
-facepalm- Enough with the bashing, kids...
I really think the artwork on those looks fantastic, but unfortunately the color scheme doesn't appeal to me very much, which is why I'll be waiting for the black and white edition to come out before picking up any. Either way, great work Lance, I'll be looking forward to your next design. :P
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I also think the Black and whites are more my style. and side note...27 is a little beyond kid.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »

lancetmiller

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Yo lance,

~ I'm not mad bro :D ^ Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Not sure how they'd be similar to another poker deck you have except for the fact that I wanted to maintain the classic Bicycle feel to the court cards while pushing the "Neo-Victorian Steampunk High Society" styling through elongated pips and the fancy font.

In a way it is a novelty deck. This deck, though designed with Magician's and Flourishers in mind, was ultimately made as a request by my Fantasy Art collectors and the show directors from Origins Game Fair. I didn't even think I was going to get this printed in the beginning. When I put the design up on UC to start with, I didn't even think this market would be interested in the Steampunk aesthetic or genre but I got an overwhelming response of "when are these things getting printed?" Due to popular demand I went ahead and started working on the whole deck while keeping my original market in mind. Knowing that I could add value to it for this community gave me an edge in being able really create a unique deck. Hence the "Artist's Edition" moniker. The Artist's Edition will almost always be over the top, if even slightly impractical in it's base nature, but will always be rendered with my fellow magician's and cardists in mind.

I believe that it is important to define that I am not a magician or collector turned playing card designer. I am a Fantasy Artist creating unique art and my canvas is a deck of playing cards that the magicians and flourishers have chosen to pick up as "something nobody else is doing". Heretofore, that was my main operating vision, create art for my Fantasy Art market that also satisfies the collectors, magicians, and flourishers that I have grown to respect here is the community. In the future I'm certain that will end up flipping; I will make art that satisfies this market first that my Fantasy Art collectors will still buy and collect all the same.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I feel it necessary to convey my point of view on some of these matters so that we all grow to understand each other better.

- Lance

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »

JimmyJohns

• True Member
Yo lance,

Do you really need to talk like that???
That makes you "cool"?
Obviously from your profile picture you are not a "wigga", so how are you defining yourself?
 ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, JJ.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »

wrassling

• Banned

• Tumblr:

• YouTube:
Sense of humor, please.
youtube.com/wrassling

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Sense of humor, please.
Bad humor IMO.

Great reviews Lance. This is an awesome deck! Any idea as to when the B&W versions of the Actuators will be available for pre-order on your site?

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »

JimmyJohns

• True Member
Sense of humor, please.

Then please leave the "Yo", "wassup", and whatever... for forums
dedicated to rap music or "gangsta" talk... ;D ;D ;D

Cheers "Bro'", JJ.

P.S. I Like Eminem... :)

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 03:14:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I also think the Black and whites are more my style. and side note...27 is a little beyond kid.

Then act like it already and leave the bashing to PMs or the Lolaq, 'cause from here, it looks like 27 is the new 12.  It's not even on topic.

Lance, as a work of art, the Actuators are definitely a success.  I've seen too many "artistic" deck designs that bored me to tears because they really didn't go far enough, and yours is not one of them.  You paid homage to standard court designs while at the same time making them hew to your chosen aesthetic.  In the end, I'm glad I backed both this project and the B&W versions as well.

Sense of humor, please.

Then please leave the "Yo", "wassup", and whatever... for forums
dedicated to rap music or "gangsta" talk... ;D ;D ;D

Cheers "Bro'", JJ.

P.S. I Like Eminem... :)

Bro, I've been saying "yo" and "wassup" long before "gangsta" ever existed.  Get off your friggin' high horse and let the guy speak his mind in his own words.  Keep this on topic - you want to debate the merits of gangsta talk or the lack thereof, there's a Lolaq for that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:17:32 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 07:16:45 AM »

wrassling

• Banned

• Tumblr:

• YouTube:
The comprehension skills of a select few leave me baffled at times. In the context of the magic community, it feels as if I age way too damn fast. Just for clarification, I mean no ill feelings towards Lance. Half of my post was a joke, as he once commented that I was hard to please when it came to deck designs (A+Paradox on UC forums), so I thought I'd poke my head in and say hello. I do think the deck looks a bit novelty-ish though, it has something to do with the border-less design and the color scheme I suppose. It's hard to pin point what exactly makes it look this way to me. We all have our opinions, please don't get hurt because mine is opposite of yours.

Thank you.

Brosef homezzz.

EDIT: Color scheme is not the right phrase. I suppose it's the lack of texture. If you look at something like the Artifice deck or even the Guardians, the colors aren't mute like they are on the borders and frames of the Actuators.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:10:55 AM by wrassling »
youtube.com/wrassling

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »

Dudeee

• True Member
Hey Lance, freaking awesome job!!! I especially love the details on the boxes and the color scheme of the cards.
It's nice to see so much thought that was put into the design.

SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »

Wilko

• True Member

• Twitter:
I have to say I do like the deck. I don't love it but it is a nice, custom deck.
The one aspect of this deck I really like is the unique number that each deck has. I really like this idea and it's something I'd like to see on more decks.
I've got a quick question regarding ordering the deck. If I order 12 single decks would they come in the brick box or do I have to order the brick. Just wondering because 12 single decks works out a bit cheaper than ordering the brick?
If anyone can shed some light in this. I'm guessing you don't get the brick box but thought I'd ask.
Thanks

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »

lancetmiller

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I have to say I do like the deck. I don't love it but it is a nice, custom deck.
The one aspect of this deck I really like is the unique number that each deck has. I really like this idea and it's something I'd like to see on more decks.
I've got a quick question regarding ordering the deck. If I order 12 single decks would they come in the brick box or do I have to order the brick. Just wondering because 12 single decks works out a bit cheaper than ordering the brick?
If anyone can shed some light in this. I'm guessing you don't get the brick box but thought I'd ask.
Thanks

Hey Wilko,

I'll field this one. If you order 12 singles, you get 12 singles. The Brick box is a monster to ship, especially internationally. The brick costs more because it creates it's own collectible category and to be honest is was quite possibly the most expensive 12 pk that USPC has printed to date. It will be extremely rare and worth it's value if you can afford to go for the brick.

I'd say I could offer pics of it, but I think Sav and Jason did a great job showcasing them in their reviews.

- Lance

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »

lancetmiller

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I thought I recognized you A+ :D, as always man, no hard feelings. I greatly appreciate your feedback, and I was just offering more of my perspective on the whole project.

The comprehension skills of a select few leave me baffled at times. In the context of the magic community, it feels as if I age way too damn fast. Just for clarification, I mean no ill feelings towards Lance. Half of my post was a joke, as he once commented that I was hard to please when it came to deck designs (A+Paradox on UC forums), so I thought I'd poke my head in and say hello. I do think the deck looks a bit novelty-ish though, it has something to do with the border-less design and the color scheme I suppose. It's hard to pin point what exactly makes it look this way to me. We all have our opinions, please don't get hurt because mine is opposite of yours.

Thank you.

Brosef homezzz.

EDIT: Color scheme is not the right phrase. I suppose it's the lack of texture. If you look at something like the Artifice deck or even the Guardians, the colors aren't mute like they are on the borders and frames of the Actuators.

So what you're saying is a V2 with white borders might be more to your liking? Have you seen the B&W's what is your take on those?

Also, Thanks for those of you standing behind this deck proudly, It means more than you know. I am so humbled by all the wonderful emails I am getting and PM's from you guys that really like the deck and the effect that we're giving away. It really brings joy to me to know that the community has my style of art into it's fold.

Great reviews Lance. This is an awesome deck! Any idea as to when the B&W versions of the Actuators will be available for pre-order on your site?

That will be April 15th at midnight on my website! Tell everyone about it ;)

- Lance

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 10:29:42 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:

That will be April 15th at midnight on my website! Tell everyone about it ;)

- Lance
Great! I'm super excited. Definitely will!

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 12:51:01 PM »

wrassling

• Banned

• Tumblr:

• YouTube:
Whites look much better. The colored ones don't show much detail or texture, so it gives the feeling of more negative space then it actually has, especially since there's mute colored borders and frames. Just my opinion though and just giving you a hard time.  :)
youtube.com/wrassling

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »

saurabh

• True Member
  • I love heavy metal music.

• Twitter:
To Mr. Miller,

I was never a fan of the whole 'Steampunk' theme as such. The deck in no way appeals to me. I think its useless for magic as it will only make people suspicious.

Having said that, for flourishing and as a collectible, this is very well done on your part. The art is completely original (cough... Clip Art.. cough) and embodies the Steampunk as an era. Also, it doesn't jump out to grab you. Its easy on the eyes with the warm colors and vintage vibe (cough... Karnivals... cough) Agreeing with Alex here, this deck really represents what it advertises. So, for making this design, and for doing it so well, I respect and thank you. Job well done.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:49:53 PM by saurabh »
Mentalist, Sleight of Hand Artist, Amateur Flourisher.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
I have to say I find these cards stunning. Absolutley unique. I regret only getting two decks one of which I am going to try to leave sealed. I am surprised to see so much negative talk about this deck but different tastes is what drives the market, not everyone is going to like everything. Thank you Lance for making these cards, they are a great addition to my collection.

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I really appreciate the fact that each deck is numbered...kinda makes you want to buy more just to see if you are able to get lower numbers...intended Lance? :t11:
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 12:18:16 AM »

lancetmiller

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
To Mr. Miller,

I was never a fan of the whole 'Steampunk' theme as such. The deck in no way appeals to me. I think its useless for magic as it will only make people suspicious.

Having said that, for flourishing and as a collectible, this is very well done on your part. The art is completely original (cough... Clip Art.. cough) and embodies the Steampunk as an era. Also, it doesn't jump out to grab you. Its easy on the eyes with the warm colors and vintage vibe (cough... Karnivals... cough) Agreeing with Alex here, this deck really represents what it advertises. So, for making this design, and for doing it so well, I respect and thank you. Job well done.

This is an interesting point, I thought about the laymen perspective and that's why I added "Artist's Edition" to the top, I know how skeptical spectators can be, that's why I kept the Bicycle branding as well. I have many pros in the field using these cards and they are prepared with a handy phrase I taught them to diffuse any would-be skeptics: "Oh yeah, I could see why you would be suspicious, it looks nothing like a typical Bicycle deck, but that's why I bought it, it's different from the norm because it was designed by a special artist see? (point to the Artist's Edition).

I have responses from them saying that the phrase worked great and they just moved on with their trick as intended. It's also possibly appropriate here to mention another "diffuser" carry a second deck that is actually a legit Bicycle deck, if the layperson balks at the Actuators, whip out the original Bikes, and say "Hey no worries, I can understand the skepticism, I just like using the other cards since they look (insert adjective here)".

Now, I'm not trying to win your love for this deck, but if that's the only thing holding you back, professional handling of your laypersons can change the entire way they interact with you. In any situation, you need to size up your audience, if they are skeptical don't use gaffs, stick to an arsenal of tricks that can be done with a borrowed deck. If they are more on the receiving end, break out Pandora and knock their socks off, use the double backer and pull the two card monte and reverse monte. That's why the deck is designed the way it is. Other than that, take the gaffs out completely, or have them pocketed, hand them the deck to examine while you maintain a top palm on your gaff card. You get the picture. There are a hundred ways to deal with skeptics and if you want to use the gaffs, it's up to you to decide which way benefits you most.

- Lance

I have to say I find these cards stunning. Absolutley unique. I regret only getting two decks one of which I am going to try to leave sealed. I am surprised to see so much negative talk about this deck but different tastes is what drives the market, not everyone is going to like everything. Thank you Lance for making these cards, they are a great addition to my collection.
P.S. Eggman, you could always order more ;) I still have about 500 left.

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
Hey, I have stated and praised these cards a # of cards, and still do. This point has probably been mentioned but has anyone noticed these cards are a little thicker than normal. I am not into cardistry. I use cards for magic and notice these things during double lifts etc. Not a major issue, just wondering if it is me.

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I will be reviewing the Actuators deck soon and I received my decks today. I must say, they look even better in person! The colors really pop out and you can really appreciate the design.