You are Here:
NEW DECK: From Walgreens, Play Right Standard Playing Cards

Author (Read 12038 times)

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Hey guys, so I just went to my local Walgreens and found this (apparently) new deck. It's name doesn't sound too great, but these cards feel, look and hold up to use as well at Studs. Below will be some pictures. Sorry for the bad quality, they were taken from my shaky webcam. Distributed by Walgreens. Available in Red and blue. Watch out, these may not be yet in your local Walgreens. Mine only had a couple available, and another one I went to had pictures for the deck, but none available yet. Plastic and poor quality seal. Everything else is pretty darn cool. 2.99$ where I live, and buy one get one free. So 1.50$ a deck technically. AWESOME!

Re: NEW DECK: From Walgreens, Play Right Standard Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Sorry for the double post: picture amount limit. Identical jokers, but one red, one blue: great for color changes. Ad cards have a normal back, so no urge to remove them. Enjoy the pics!

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 08:12:51 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Is there any mention of who manufactured these?
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
No, but they say "linen finish" and use arrco faces, so I believe they are USPCC. They say exactly the same thing as Studs, but don't mention the company. Are decks allowed so say Linen finish and use arrco faces without being USPCC?

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:32:51 PM »

vmagic

Fake decks might but I don't think Walgreens would sell fakes. It would be much better if your pictures weren't mirror imaged! Cool find though.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
No, but they say "linen finish" and use arrco faces, so I believe they are USPCC. They say exactly the same thing as Studs, but don't mention the company. Are decks allowed so say Linen finish and use arrco faces without being USPCC?

The decks don't look like traditional USPC manufacture, and the fact that the deck has a non-standard seal makes it a bit odd.  However, the Arrco faces and the fact that the Ace of Spades has a USPC letter code (albeit impossible to read due to the mirrored, out-of-focus shots and the AoS being held upside-down for the camera) lead me to believe that yes, it's a USPC deck.

It seems odd, though, that they'd order this deck when they already have one successful house brand, the Stud decks.  Perhaps these were meant as a lower-budget alternative for the sluggish economy.

Either that, or Dan and Dave bought up the entire supply of Studs to sell on their site!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 03:38:34 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I'm sorry about the bad pic. The AoS code says: 1812-R3125
These handle very well. Pretty darn close to the handling of arrcos. Seal is pretty weird though. Don't know why.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 03:54:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm sorry about the bad pic. The AoS code says: 1812-R3125
These handle very well. Pretty darn close to the handling of arrcos. Seal is pretty weird though. Don't know why.

It's a VERY new deck.  Manufactured sometime between May 7th and May 11th of this year.

I should check out a Walgreens near me soon.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 03:58:54 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
If anyone sees any of these could you pick me up 2 of each and I'll pay you for them? :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
@Don, yes, It's very new. I picked up 2. They really handle nicely. If you guys want I can make a review for them. And the box and back design are really simple, but have some very stylish touches: they look great. I was showing these on the Cards1 tinychat earlier yesterday, and no one believed me they were real. But they truly are. They should be arriving in red soon as well since my Walgreens had a picture of these in red and blue, but they haven't yet arrived in red.

@Aaron - I would be open to trading for 2 of them.

PS: To everyone, the seals are poor quality. They rip very easily and are made of plastic. Any explanation for this?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:33:15 PM by NathanCanadas »

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 12:43:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
PS: To everyone, the seals are poor quality. They rip very easily and are made of plastic. Any explanation for this?

Made of plastic?  And they rip easily?  Are you sure it's not just a finished paper instead of plastic?

Explanation: they made it very thin.  That's all I got.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:44:24 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 12:56:05 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Made of plastic?  And they rip easily?  Are you sure it's not just a finished paper instead of plastic?

I'm not sure what the material is. Perhaps you are right and they made a very thin paper seal with a very strong finish coating. The thing that I found weird was that the seal was very fragile, and it "broke" and ripped apart rather than just letting itself get cut.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:51:11 PM »

Loki

• Newcomer
Hey guys, new to the forum here (lurker for a while, though.) I picked up a pack of these and couldn't find anything anywhere else on the web. I'm an avid collector of decks and I love using the Walgreens Studs because they're 1 - pretty inexpensive and 2 - handle well for a pretty good period of time. I saw these new decks just an hour or so and picked them up on a whim.

They handle wonderfully. Farrow shuffle nicely and after about a dozen shuffles they still spread evenly.

I like them enough that tomorrow I'm going to buy the Walgreens out of stock!

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 12:11:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey guys, new to the forum here (lurker for a while, though.) I picked up a pack of these and couldn't find anything anywhere else on the web. I'm an avid collector of decks and I love using the Walgreens Studs because they're 1 - pretty inexpensive and 2 - handle well for a pretty good period of time. I saw these new decks just an hour or so and picked them up on a whim.

They handle wonderfully. Farrow shuffle nicely and after about a dozen shuffles they still spread evenly.

Whoa there!  No need to go nuts, man - I'm sure they'll make more...  :))

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

First of all, welcome to the forums! Feel free to introduce yourself formally in the "Introduce Yourself" board.
Secondly, I also bought all those Walgreens had in stock where I live, and where I practice judo. A total of 10 decks. I traded 7 away, and kept 3, but gave 1 to my friend. So I'm left with 2 blue ones. I can't wait for them to have red ones back in store.
For all those who don't own the decks yet, they are as long-lasting as studs. I used mine for perhaps 6 hours straight, and they clump, but still feel great. I really recommend them. Plus they are pretty darn cheap.

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
I bought 8 of them at my walgreens. I reccommend them to anybody looking for a nice quality alternative to anything card related.
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 03:31:27 AM »

rave

• True Member
the backs remind me fournier nÂș 27: http://www.nhfournier.es/es/productos/ver/n-27

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I just went to Walgreen's to pick some up, but the section that contained Play Right Standard was filled with Studs. What ashame.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 12:54:54 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I just went to Walgreen's to pick some up, but the section that contained Play Right Standard was filled with Studs. What ashame.
That means they are either sold out or they haven't been put in stock yet. The same thing happened at my local Walgreen's once I had bought all those on display. They should renew the stock pretty soon (I hope) and add the red ones as well. They perhaps also want to clear their Studs stock.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Guys, if what pokerstud52 is saying on this sale page for Studs is correct, the Play Rights aren't just supplementing the Studs - they're REPLACING them.  If he's right, Studs are now officially out of print!

He's also selling the Play Rights in sets of two for $5.95 and 12 for $29.95.  He still only has blue, though, just like the rest of the marketplace.

If you like Studs, snap them up while you still can!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:40:55 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 02:25:39 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Guys, if what pokerstud52 is saying on this sale page for Studs is correct, the Play Rights aren't just supplementing the Studs - they're REPLACING them.  If he's right, Studs are now officially out of print!

He's also selling the Play Rights in sets of two for $5.95 and 12 for $29.95.  He still only has blue, though, just like the rest of the marketplace.

If you like Studs, snap them up while you still can!

Rofl and I just used two Stud decks to practice flower fans (they will destroy any deck).

I don't care for the new Studs but I am excited about the old ones becoming even more vintage. :]
Forum Founder.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
That may explain why my Walgreens now has over a brick of each color on display...
Other news regarding this deck: Apparently, the Blue decks are Standard faces but the Red ones are Jumbo Index.

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
So, I just came back from Walgreens and stocked up on their decks. I now have a total of 8 old style studs (selling some BTW), 4 new style studs, and 4 play right blue standards. Still waiting for them to get the red ones. I also took advantage of this opportunity to get a wounded warrior deck. :)

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That may explain why my Walgreens now has over a brick of each color on display...
Other news regarding this deck: Apparently, the Blue decks are Standard faces but the Red ones are Jumbo Index.

Where did you find that out from?  It could simply have been a stocking issue.  The Walgreens decks are targeted for general-purpose use, including a lot of poker players.  They usually need two different color decks for a good game - one shuffled while the other's in play, different colors to keep the decks from getting mixed.  But if they're only offering one color in standard index and the other in only jumbo, they lose that whole customer base right off the bat.

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Where did you find that out from?  It could simply have been a stocking issue.  The Walgreens decks are targeted for general-purpose use, including a lot of poker players.  They usually need two different color decks for a good game - one shuffled while the other's in play, different colors to keep the decks from getting mixed.  But if they're only offering one color in standard index and the other in only jumbo, they lose that whole customer base right off the bat.
Well on the pictures describing the products, their only difference is that the blue ones say standard and the red ones say Jumbo. So I'm guessing that will be their difference.