You are Here:
Dreamweaver

Author (Read 940 times)

Dreamweaver
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Alright all you website junkies out there.  Is it worth it?  Dreamweaver?  I know it manages your content and updates pages and has "intellisense" and syntax highlighting, but it's also big, clunky, and expensive. 

Is it worth it?  Assume for a moment that you are going to actually pay for it, you can get the latest version for $99.  My question is should you?  Is there an alternative that actually makes web-design more pleasant?

I have very little experience with Dreamweaver, and I maintain my "html-only" website with Notepad++.  I'm looking for someone to convince me I'm doing it wrong --or as the case may be, that I'm doing it right.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

Re: Dreamweaver
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I started with dreamweaver when I was learning how to code website and have stuck with it ever since. It is wonderful how simple it makes coding and easy to see where your mistakes are. One of my favorite parts about DW is how seamlessly you can go from your main file to your external javascript and css files and make edits to what you need very quickly. The live view aspect is sort of cool but I rarely use it since most of the time it does not accurately reflect what will be shown live on the web.

I don't find it to be "clunky" but then again I am running it off a 4 core hyperthreaded CPU @ 4.0ghz, 6gigs of DDR3 ram and a SSD, so pretty much anything boots fast and runs smoothly on it.

If I was doing more with websites than I currently do now, I would most definitely purchase DW.....but as of now, I just "own" the entire CS5 suite

Re: Dreamweaver
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
If I was doing more with websites than I currently do now, I would most definitely purchase DW.....but as of now, I just "own" the entire CS5 suite

Same here.

I don't find it to be "clunky" but then again I am running it off a 4 core hyperthreaded CPU @ 4.0ghz, 6gigs of DDR3 ram and a SSD, so pretty much anything boots fast and runs smoothly on it.

My machine isn't quite that impressive, but the 8GB of ram and 128 SSD are enough to satisfy the hardware nerd in me.  When I said clunky, I didn't mean performance wise, I just meant the UI and the workflow seem... difficult.  I spend my days in Visual Studio, transitioning to Dreamweaver just feels... not intuitive, I feel like Photoshop was significantly better designed.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.