Author (Read 1377 times)

The Discourse v2: Blowing your mind.
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:47:14 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Peuan and I are working every day on the next version of The Discourse. As of now, I would say we're about 20% done, but there is still so much to do! Features wise, this is the biggest thing any forum has probably ever done. As you guys already know, Discourse Fame will be replacing Karma, and it will be the premier way to show off how great of a member you are.

I've spent hours upon hours developing an abuse-proof system that also takes into considering literally every action you do on the forums. You will lose Fame for things as subtle as spamming, double-posting, or defaming someone constantly. On the other hand, you gain fame for tiny things like sending your first PM, or making threads in certain boards. Of course Fame is based heavily off post count, but in such a way that ensures spamming 100 bad posts in a day will absolutely kill your Fame, while posting 100 amazing posts in a day will make it sky rocket.

My favorite aspect is the ability to cash in your Fame for prizes and features on the forum. You can even upgrade your "influence" which enables your upvotes/downvotes to have way more impact on other people. One of the most fun things to unlock is new smilies for use on the forums. Now you can have access to smilies nobody else gets to use at all! Of course, things like free decks and whatnot are staying as well.

This is all displayed in your public profile, which, by the way, is getting a complete make over. You will now be able to unlock a "content" section on your profile where you can put anything you want. Anything. Signatures and Fame stats will also be displayed in your pub-profile. Many other things are making an appearance as well.

"Moods" are being properly integrated as well. Moods enables you to select a little image that appears next to your thread. These images are fun, and you can actually use them now, but they're hard to access.

The topic-listing page is more or less staying the same, except thread descriptions are now an unlockable feature via the shop.

The header will be getting a face lift as we promised. Gone is the extreme AetherCards imagery, replaced by a more card-friendly header and a sleek, simple logo. I promised from the start that The Discourse will always be 100% ad-free to enrich the user experience, and this is something we are following through with.

All in all, the ETA here is one month. This is going to be huge for any of you that spend at least 15 minutes on here every day.

After all this, we're going to start work on the AetherCards website, which will be integrated with the forums and will have some really unique features as well. We're going to try and get this all done by February.

This is all in addition to printing the Vortex deck, designing the Harlequin deck, and working on my YouTube channel.

It's a very busy couple of months here at Aether.  :)

Forum Founder.

Re: The Discourse v2: Blowing your mind.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Umm Alex, I may have been looking in all the wrong places, but did you just reveal the name of your next deck? Harlequin Deck? That just sounds badass!! As far as Discourse V2...also Badass!!! I am glad that you took an idea I requested earlier ( custom smileys ) and incorporated them in a different way. I'm excited for this for sure. This is currently and will remain the sickest forum on the net.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 01:29:51 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Umm Alex, I may have been looking in all the wrong places, but did you just reveal the name of your next deck? Harlequin Deck? That just sounds badass!! As far as Discourse V2...also Badass!!! I am glad that you took an idea I requested earlier ( custom smileys ) and incorporated them in a different way. I'm excited for this for sure. This is currently and will remain the sickest forum on the net.
thank for pointing out he mention the second deck name !! omg i am working so hard try to post stuff and not leaving out of the topic just to know the name and now i saw it !!

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Really looking forward to the new setup!! This forum is by far the best on the web and it looks like you are going to raise the bar again  :D I know everybody on here is looking forward to the new features and it sounds like it won't disappoint. Thanks for the update!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:03:40 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
Me to I have a feeling that the new setup will blow me away lol

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:00:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Looking forward to it, bro, looking forward to it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:49 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Hey Alex, any chance we will see a mobile version of the site? Maybe something to work on for the Discourse V.2  ;)
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck