CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
via 52cartes

www.encarded.com

The site reads:
"The world of playing cards is full of amazing cards, but even with the variety currently available, there are ideas that no one has produced, designs that no one has seen, and features that no one has considered yet. Encarded is dedicated to exploring some of these new ideas in playing card design. Initially funded by the amazing Kickstarter platform, we want to make really cool things that any card collector, cardist or magician would be excited to have."

"Here is a teaser image of a prototype design for Tendril…

ABOUT:
"Encarded is a new venture that designs and produces fully custom playing cards. Thanks to social funding like Kickstarter, we can make what used to be an unrealistic dream a reality.  Based in beautiful Sarasota, Florida, Encarded is founded by a long-time graphic designer who was inspired to create some new and exciting things in the world of playing cards. Paul Carpenter (lead designer) collects cards, does a little cardistry on the side, spends time with his wife and children and tries to get some sun at Siesta Key Beach whenever possible."

More custom decks on the way... can the market handle it?

CBJ
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:51:08 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Encarded - Another playing card company steps forward
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
Well,so many new custom decks companies comming out...some might say it´s a curse and some might say it´s a bless.
More designs who might appeal to you - on the backside more money to spend to fulfill the desire of getting the latest deck in vogue.
My opinion is - the more quality designed decks to choose from is good for the customers and also for the compettion.
It helps to raise the bar in terms of custom decks (i.e. ,Alex with his Vortex Deck and Lance T. Millers take on creating playing cards).

If the design is not appealing to the masses - no one will spend his money.

Let´s see what Encarded will show off with :)
Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:42:47 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
looks like it's the design for their ace of spades.
i like the color combination though.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The kickstarter hasn't launched yet so the Kickstarter will probably run through next year! So after the holidays (when we get money) they will be available

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It looks like the Vortex's illegitimate child. :D
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 03:12:12 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Paul Carpenter - isn't that xmetal? :P
Forum Founder.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Paul Carpenter - isn't that xmetal? :P

I was going to say, the background of that photo looks VERY familiar.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:33:39 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yeah, that's me. :)

While not necessarily playing cards, I've been looking for a creative outlet/project for years and this is a perfect fit. Seeing that you can be successful in this, like the great stuff Alex and Lance are soon inspired me to give it a try.

I don't really want to compete, really, but I have some ideas that I personally would like to have, and hopefully other people will like it too. Worth a shot!

It'll take a little while to get everything together, finish designs, work though the numbers and all that, but I'm pretty excited about trying.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Yeah, that's me. :)

While not necessarily playing cards, I've been looking for a creative outlet/project for years and this is a perfect fit. Seeing that you can be successful in this, like the great stuff Alex and Lance are soon inspired me to give it a try.

I don't really want to compete, really, but I have some ideas that I personally would like to have, and hopefully other people will like it too. Worth a shot!

It'll take a little while to get everything together, finish designs, work though the numbers and all that, but I'm pretty excited about trying.

Good luck! I will pick some up, but could you please release them next year, when the deck printing has slowed down.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Paul I really can't wait to see what you have in store. By all means use this site to promote your work. My personal advice is to hold off on a Kickstarter for a few weeks. Launch during a dry spell for the best chance at success.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I agree with Alex. Definitely wait 2-4 weeks.
Idk about all of you but I have no money now because of all these recent decks and I wouldn't be able to pledge for this one either. So wait a little while and more people will have money to pledge!

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It will absolutely be a little while, certainly 2012 before I'm ready for everything. Along with the obvious time it takes to do a complete custom deck, I also have a 9-months pregnant wife and will have a new little boy in the next few weeks, so my card designs will happen in between everything else. :)  There have definitely been a TON of great decks coming out in rapid succession, so taking a little break would be to everyone's advantage I think.

I'm going to do it right, make sure all the details are spot on and won't be putting out anything subpar. I generally have pretty high standards for myself, and being my intro into the market I need to make sure it's the best possible work.

I'll be updating the site (http://encarded.com), Twitter (@encarded) and will be sure to let you guys know when I have something new to look at. Thanks for the support everyone, and I hope you guys like what I come up with.

Obviously, the Tendril deck you've seen in the design thread will be my first deck, but I'll be making changes and updates to what 's been posted already, so there will be some surprises in store. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:30:56 PM by xmetal »
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Interesting but I doubt that it would get a great success because it's really too much cards out there.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:02:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
@Xmetal - good luck, bro, on the deck and the baby!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 02:08:46 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Very interesting! I thought it looked familiar. I'm excited to see what you come up with Xmetal. Best of luck to you!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
New pic!  :D

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
I personally think one-artist companies are a bad idea -_-

Wait & See, Wait & See.

Still, credits to xmetal for the extreme speed at which he set up a company, a website and a team. I'm astounded  ???

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Well, if you sit around and wait for some other card designer to roll around, you probably won't get anything done. So guys like Alex and I jump in and go for it, and I think the results will be pretty darn decent and everyone benefits from more perspectives and ideas.

And really, even with a team of 3-4 it still takes a lot of time to design 50+ things, particularly custom art for court cards. No way to do that fast and make it right.

As to the speed with which I got rolling, it's easy! Make decision, add in 20 years experience, set aside 4 hours, and VIOLA! Logos, websites, prototypes. It's soooo easy. Really! :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 04:14:17 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I personally think one-artist companies are a bad idea -_-

Wait & See, Wait & See.

Still, credits to xmetal for the extreme speed at which he set up a company, a website and a team. I'm astounded  ???

Two-artist+ companies suffer from profit sharing issues. Why would I go through the hassle of figuring that stuff out when I could start things on my own? Plus, it's almost impossible to find an artist that is willing to put in hard work to get a job done. Most artists are very lazy, careless, and indifferent to money.

:-X
Forum Founder.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member

Two-artist+ companies suffer from profit sharing issues. Why would I go through the hassle of figuring that stuff out when I could start things on my own? Plus, it's almost impossible to find an artist that is willing to put in hard work to get a job done. Most artists are very lazy, careless, and indifferent to money.

Aha~ point taken.

Good artists are hard to find? I guess opportunities are abundant then  :D

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
so with my company i help create the design and i have one artist to actually put it in action, might have to find someone to put it on computer but i know it will be a long haul, good luck encrded is all i have to say.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Aha~ point taken.

Good artists are hard to find? I guess opportunities are abundant then  :D

Good artists are easy to find. Good artists with drive, passion, and a need to put a high quality finished product above a paycheck is impossible. Most artists I know will happily do designing for a decent fee, but they won't put their heart into it.

Which is funny, because when I used to do freelance work, it was always a godsend to get clients who already knew the field and were willing to pay top dollar for high quality work.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 02:01:52 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
If you are interested, I've shared a little more info about Tendril and what I'm working on. Still all in progress but moving forward...

http://t.co/HCYmmEvz
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Wow, I'm very impressed with what you've done so far.  The deck is coming along beautifully.  I'm not so much of a fan of the serif font for the indices though, I think I'd prefer it without them.  Also I feel like the heart on the index should match the heart to the side of the king's head.  It breaks consistency a little too much there.

Keep up the good work!
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Also I feel like the heart on the index should match the heart to the side of the king's head.

Absolutely, and something I meant to do but overlooked. I corrected that and will keep playing with it. As to fonts, I looked through about 200 fonts and this one has a nice balance across all the needed items (numbers, A, K, Q, etc). I also liked that it has a little bit of serif which jives better with the "tendril" nature of the design.

Thanks for the comments and feedback though, I really want to put out something great.
Paul Carpenter