You are Here:
Pinstriping Themed Deck

Author (Read 6092 times)

Pinstriping Themed Deck
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »

RandCo

• True Member
Here are some preliminary designs for a deck I am currently calling “Rat Rod Pinstripes”.

The rust color would be a dark metallic copper ink, the teal color will be a metallic ink also for an rusted auto appearance. The red and black would be spot colors.

I would appreciate any comments on the design, etc. I think I have covered all of the bases of function such as indices placement and proper symmetry, but if I have made any mistakes that would effect play, please let me know.

Thank you,

Randy Coffey
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:28:34 PM by RandCo »

Re: Pinstriping Themed Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:26:26 PM »

Mada257

This one is kinda tough for me. I like the uniqueness, but the colors aren't my style. I think you could really make these pop with maybe a red and white combo similar to striping on a car? I think the background is what is muddying it up for me. Perhaps make more of a contrast? Just an idea.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:28:39 PM by Mada257 »

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Here are some preliminary designs for a deck I am currently calling “Rat Rod Pinstripes”.

The rust color would be a dark metallic copper ink, the teal color will be a metallic ink also for an rusted auto appearance. The red and black would be spot colors.

I would appreciate any comments on the design, etc. I think I have covered all of the bases of function such as indices placement and proper symmetry, but if I have made any mistakes that would effect play, please let me know.

Thank you,

Randy Coffey

A few suggestions.

For design consistency, have the "painted" areas on the fronts and backs be the same - either the sides or the center.  To do otherwise on a borderless card would allow people to spot an inverted card.  It's a minor consideration, but I think it would also pull together the overall look.  Perhaps you could use three strips of body paint?

Give the pips some body and color - single-color pips can get to be a headache after a while if you're playing with them.  You can make them appear as if simply spray-painted to the car.

I actually owned an old beater about 25 years ago which had the potential to be a great rat rod - a '70 Chevy Nova SS.  Damn thing had enough room under the hood, you could climb in and close it to make repairs on the engine!  It also had what I liked to refer to as "260 air conditioning" - roll down two windows and go 60 MPH!  (I was living in South Florida at the time, so yeah, there was no joy on the cool-air front, especially in the thick of summer.)

Anyway, my point is that I got the car in beat up but still decent condition - the vinyl top was removed, exposing the white paint underneath, and the body had been painted flat gray.  As least, until the night I went out with some friends from the radio station where I was deejaying and they spray painted red flames to it!  I followed that up with black spray paint lettering on the sides, advertising the station.  Eventually, I moved into a snooty rental complex with two roommates and had to cover the whole thing, so I painted the body completely black except for the still-untouched white top - and it actually looked more like a cop car from a few decades back!

In the end, I didn't take good enough care of it and I destroyed the differential gears by not adequately lubricating them.  I ended up limping the car back home at about 5 MPH  after the remains of the gears cooled and someone bought it strictly for the body - they really wanted to make it a hot rod.  I bought it for $300, sold it for $100.  Never found out if they completed the job - I moved away shortly after.

Ironically, that car was about two decades old but I could still find parts off the shelves of most auto parts shops.  I later owned a one-decade old Ford Mustang (not the nice one - the economy model they were making in the late '80s) - parts for that beast had to come from the dealer (no other company made the after-market parts for it), all the parts departments in the entire company take lunch from 1pm to 2pm (don't ask) and the deal-killer was that when I needed a new catalytic converter, I was informed they're no longer making them so the car would never pass another emissions inspection.  I used to call it a Ford Gelding because if you rode up a steep-enough hill, the car slowed down even with the gas pedal to the floor.  No power whatsoever.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:55:22 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »

RandCo

• True Member
Thank you for the advice Don. I will make the front and back backgrounds the same.

Since the cards represent a rusted car, the same background on both sides would also suggest a single car, rather than just painted surfaces.. I was split as to whether I would have black and red inside the pips or not, legibility is always important in card design, so I will be putting solid color in the pips.

I am also going to change the color of the red pinstripes, there is not enough contrast between them and the rust color (good point Mada257). It means adding another ink color, but I think it is needed.

Your story helps to confirm to me that a custom car theme would appeal to custom card collectors.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I would consider rethinking the rust theme. I like the design of the stripes, but I think the even sleekness of the pinstripes clash with the rough background.

Why not have the pinstripes on the surface of a new, sleek car? You'd have a lot more room for things like box and joker customization, plus, the design would just look cleaner overall.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I would consider rethinking the rust theme. I like the design of the stripes, but I think the even sleekness of the pinstripes clash with the rough background.

Why not have the pinstripes on the surface of a new, sleek car? You'd have a lot more room for things like box and joker customization, plus, the design would just look cleaner overall.

I think you're missing the point.  A rat rod isn't something all shiny and new off the dealership's showroom floor.  It's a beater with rust holes and a paint job that's seen too many days under harsh sun.  In essence, it's salvaged junk converted into something with a respectable engine and a decent amount of power.  Think like the Millennium Falcon - "She ain't pretty, but she can go point-five past light speed!"  "She's the fastest hunk o' junk in the galaxy!"

Another idea.  Switch out the font you're using for the indices and use something that looks like it fell off of a name brand badge!  Shiny, a few rust spots, of a certain style...  It would look better than the lettering you're using now.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 03:12:07 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

I think you're missing the point.  A rat rod isn't something all shiny and new off the dealership's showroom floor.  It's a beater with rust holes and a paint job that's seen too many days under harsh sun.  In essence, it's salvaged junk converted into something with a respectable engine and a decent amount of power.  Think like the Millennium Falcon - "She ain't pretty, but she can go point-five past light speed!"  "She's the fastest hunk o' junk in the galaxy!"

I probably am. I've never been a car person, but whenever I think of pinstripes, I think of things like this.

Then again, I guess I'm not the target audience.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:12:29 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »

RandCo

• True Member
Thanks for the comments everyone. Here are some examples of the latest version.

I enlarged the background so there is more paint and less rust, this helps with the red on rust issue. The solid pips make the design bolder and show the card rank better.

I will be revisiting this design later this year, I have some other designs I am working on that are more illustration oriented.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:18:34 PM by RandCo »