You are Here:
Create-A-Deck Thread - what will you come up with?

Author (Read 13025 times)

Re: Create-A-Deck Thread - what will you come up with?
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
What about the Actuators as far as circular symmetry goes? I love what Lance did there.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm no designer, but for true symmetry you have three options, right?  Vertical symmetry (left side and right side mirror each other), horizontal symmetry (top and bottom halves mirror each other) and diagonal symmetry (cut a diagonal line through the pattern and the left side is a flipped image of the right one or vice versa, same result either way).  These can be combined - Bicycle Riders (and many others) employ all three.  If you have vertical and horizontal symmetry, I think you sort of get diagonal symmetry automatically.  But some deck back design can be diagonal without being vertical or horizontal - Rich Ferguson's deck has diagonal symmetry along both possible axes as well as being symmetrical but flipped vertically or horizontally.

Think about this long enough and it could make you crazy like a math major...
 ;D
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I used all three symmetry's with the Vortex. It took forever to make that back two-way (minus the one-way I put in for spotting cards). The issues I had were properly centering everything to the millimeter. When I received the first Protodeck, I quickly realized that the design was completely asymetrical. It took hours to fix at that point.

Anyone that has received the Protodeck card via FOTW prizes or one of my deck sales can actually look and see that the back is horribly one-way.

The newest Protodeck is 100% just the way I wanted it though. :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

In an effort to avoid any thought of copying the ol' Vortex,  ;)  and to try some other ideas I had, here's another deck design. Used some of the aspects from the last one but extended some things a bit further. This is quite fun...

Deck Name: Tendril

Theme: A different kind of black deck

Extent of customization: Everything.

Innovative features your cards will include:

Tendril combines the sinister nature of a black deck, the practical handling of a white deck and uses gray borders instead of white to give a whole new aesthetic. No longer does a dark deck have to be somber and boring, as Tendril introduces dynamic coloring. The gray border will better hide the "edge chipping" that can happen to a solid black deck but won't have the overly bright contrast of a traditionally white-bordered design.

Unusual even in custom cards, both the front and back will feature a bordered black design, giving depth and visual interest to the deck regardless of viewing side. The extra visual edge will add even more detail to fan flourishes.

The card fronts will also feature a "near-black" field with a very subtle hint of the back tendril design, giving design and detail to a typically blank area while not distracting from the readability of the card.

Tendril will feature 'asymmetrical symmetry" in the back, with what appears at first glance to be a seemingly random array of elements that are still perfectly two-way for maximum usability.

Tendril will be printed in a limited run by USPCC on premium stock with the Magic finish.

Choose your color scheme. What will be the primary colors you use? Where will you use each color?

Near black, black, grays, aqua and teal with accents of golden yellow.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
I'm no designer, but for true symmetry you have three options, right?  Vertical symmetry (left side and right side mirror each other), horizontal symmetry (top and bottom halves mirror each other) and diagonal symmetry (cut a diagonal line through the pattern and the left side is a flipped image of the right one or vice versa, same result either way).  These can be combined - Bicycle Riders (and many others) employ all three.  If you have vertical and horizontal symmetry, I think you sort of get diagonal symmetry automatically.  But some deck back design can be diagonal without being vertical or horizontal - Rich Ferguson's deck has diagonal symmetry along both possible axes as well as being symmetrical but flipped vertically or horizontally.

Think about this long enough and it could make you crazy like a math major...
 ;D

None of those three is the requirement for a back design. The only core symmetry is rotational. So that each card, after a 180 degree rotation will still look identical. This, however, when exploited, will produce major asthetical issues. In that, a designer may choose to employ vertical & or horizontal symmetry one to save work, and two to enhance balance. One, well my personal bias, problem with the actuators back design is balance. With the placement of the gears it feels the design is tipping over like \.

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I actually like the Actuators for their interesting symmetry. The standard symmetry is something that I find extremely boring. It is all about personal taste, of course, but for me I like to see boundaries being pushed. I'm also a huge fan of illusions, no matter what their scale is. Anything that at first glance looks asymmetrical is something I find deeply interesting.

Xmetal, I love that design! I think the shade of yellow on the faces is a tad off, something closer to a green hue would be more fitting. I love the idea of the faces having the tendrils as well, but in a way that allows reversals to some extent. The colors used on the back are excellent too. The shading on the tendrils themselves, that blue drop shadow specifically, looks off. I love the background behind them, and those kinds of colors is what makes me wish metallic foil on cards was possible with the USPCC.

The only issue I would see is that the shading is too subtle in some areas, like the tendrils on the faces, and in print you wouldn't be able to see them at all. I encountered this issue when I originally had carbon-fiber patterning on the Vortex tuck boxes which ended up using a black gradient instead.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thanks for the quality feedback Alex. I agree on the face colors, those were a quick addition and need more careful selection. I also know exactly what you mean about the subtlety of the tendril details on the face. I really like that idea, and have personally never seen it done but I know that printing details like that is quite tricky. If, perhaps, maybe, I work on these enough to consider real production I might need to exaggerate that a bit, but there's really no way to know without getting proofs done.

Can you clarify what you think is "off" with the blue drop shadow? Too bright, too sharp? They weren't exactly meant to be a shadow, per se, but another dimensional layer. I might have to mess with that.

Thanks for the comments, time to tweak. :)
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 02:17:40 AM »

Kingkong2798

• Newcomer
Hey guys, what are the dimensions for a standard card and the Borders? Also what is the best software to use to create a deck

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:43 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
There is a link to download templates at the bottom of this page. To do it right, you really need Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

http://bicyclecards.com/products/custom
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:20:20 AM by xmetal »
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey guys, what are the dimensions for a standard card and the Borders? Also what is the best software to use to create a deck
Adobe Photoshop  ;D

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
None of those three is the requirement for a back design. The only core symmetry is rotational. So that each card, after a 180 degree rotation will still look identical. This, however, when exploited, will produce major asthetical issues. In that, a designer may choose to employ vertical & or horizontal symmetry one to save work, and two to enhance balance. One, well my personal bias, problem with the actuators back design is balance. With the placement of the gears it feels the design is tipping over like \.

I actually like the Actuators for their interesting symmetry. The standard symmetry is something that I find extremely boring. It is all about personal taste, of course, but for me I like to see boundaries being pushed. I'm also a huge fan of illusions, no matter what their scale is. Anything that at first glance looks asymmetrical is something I find deeply interesting.

Xmetal, I love that design! I think the shade of yellow on the faces is a tad off, something closer to a green hue would be more fitting. I love the idea of the faces having the tendrils as well, but in a way that allows reversals to some extent. The colors used on the back are excellent too. The shading on the tendrils themselves, that blue drop shadow specifically, looks off. I love the background behind them, and those kinds of colors is what makes me wish metallic foil on cards was possible with the USPCC.

The only issue I would see is that the shading is too subtle in some areas, like the tendrils on the faces, and in print you wouldn't be able to see them at all. I encountered this issue when I originally had carbon-fiber patterning on the Vortex tuck boxes which ended up using a black gradient instead.

I'm with Alex on this one - something that's "off-balanced" yet still symmetrical really catches the eye more since people are so used to (and perhaps bored of?) seeing the same "balanced" card designs.

I really like Xmetal's Tendril deck, but I'd suggest a different color than yellow for that face.  I have the Scorpion deck and it's hard on the eyes after a while (at least my eyes).  Maybe a pale blue, or an electric blue?  Just something a little less harsh while also providing adequate contrast for easy visibility.

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Agreed on the symmetry issue. There are SO many decks with perfectly mirrored backs, that it gets a little old. Doing something different was definitely a main idea I had.

I played with the front a bit more and exaggerated the tendril design a little so it's easier to see, and also changed up the index coloring. I think that I might go with a more traditional clean pip design though, while the current club here uses the same "wobbly" line of the shapes on the back, I think that it's a bit of a mismatch with the clean pips. Something to experiment with.

I appreciate the feedback, and thanks to Alex for the inspiration to take stab at designing a deck.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
The yellow clubs remind me of the "Infinity Deck" logo.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

here's a very early mockup design i created years ago. thought I'd share it with you guys and maybe give ideas.

Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The scythe deck looks plain now, but with a little work, it could look great!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
here's a very early mockup design i created years ago. thought I'd share it with you guys and maybe give ideas.

This is a very good design, I like it.  Aside from Arcane White, there's not been much by way of a "gothy/black" themed deck done in white instead of black.  Crimson and Crimson Resurrection might qualify, but they're utterly lacking in imagination.  The new "Deck of the Dead" thing on KS would qualify, but its imagery, while extremely cool, is a little cartoony as opposed to "serious".  Imagine the kind of deck you could whip out in front of the hardcore goth kids and make them say "ooooooooo, cool cards".
 :D

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »

Overflight

• Twitter:

[font='dejavu sans mono', monaco, 'lucida console', 'courier new', monospace]This is kind of an off-the-cuff idea I had. Feel free to disregard if you feel it's too vague.[/font]
8-bit

Theme: 8-bit graphics

Extent of customization: total

lPick two distinct, innovative features your cards will include, sell us on the ideas.
Pixellized court cards, Symmetry Pip

Color scheme. What will be the primary colors you use? Where will you use each color?
Standard card color scheme.

The storyline of the deck:An homage to the 8-bit era without being tied down to any particular franchise.

A while ago I happened to be browsing this forum while listening to this. This made me curious as to whether there were any 8-bit themed decks out there. Turns out there are but I think there's some room for improvement:

http://blogdebrinquedo.com.br/2011/01/27/baralho-space-invaders-8-bit-do-art-lebedev-studio/
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NIN10002&mode=retail
http://www.tikisaurus.com/blog/japan/zelda-25th-anniversary-playing-cards-revealed-japan.html

The main thing is that the court cards are explicitly taken by the creator's chosen franchise. There's room for imagination there. Same thing with the backs. Also, this deck could allow some interesting "glitch" gaff cards.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:16:06 PM by Overflight »

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
@xmetal - Loving that shade of green.
@Sean - I think the big issue is the empty corners and boring borders. The part I like most is the center artwork.
@Overflight - I remember seeing an 8-bit deck made by a company from Russia, and it looked awesome but I believe it was not a USPCC deck. I love the idea of "glitched" gaff cards, very cool especially for the modern generation of spectators who more or less all play video games.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
For my graphic-design class, I actually drew an 8-Bit Ace of Spade.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »

Overflight

• Twitter:
@alex: was it the one in the first link I posted? It was made by some Russian graphics design company for Space Invaders.

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I actually have a really cheaply-made deck that's Atari-branded, with "screen shots" on each card that look like they're from the Atari 2600.  Or was it like the arcade versions?  I remember Centipede and Space Invaders being among the "suits".  I'll have to see if I still have it, though I think I gave it away - it was that bad.  It made "Greetings from XXXXXX" scenic decks look good.

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Element deck, the 4 elements fire wind water earth, colors would be red, ? blue and green. i have a design and am working on it, let me know if you want more info.

P.S. cutoms aces (all 4) backs and possibly the new pip thing alex made.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
Element deck, the 4 elements fire wind water earth, colors would be red, ? blue and green. i have a design and am working on it, let me know if you want more info.

P.S. cutoms aces (all 4) backs and possibly the new pip thing alex made.

Didn't I see that in the Red Crown contest? Were those yours?

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2011, 12:24:43 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
WAIT A MINUTE WHAT? Link please, I really hope red crown is not using my idea, unless I'm missing what your saying
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2011, 02:36:23 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
WAIT A MINUTE WHAT? Link please, I really hope red crown is not using my idea, unless I'm missing what your saying

Oh~ I just checked - they drew 4 that were frost, inferno, acid and plasma. You can see it on Kete Moon's page. http://love.youthwant.com.tw/4/book_readz.php?stud_id=100123572&b_id=2195&p=2443&ftype=