You are Here:
The Frontier Deck

Author (Read 1976 times)

The Frontier Deck
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:09:36 AM »

pitneyw

• Newcomer
Heres the deck I've been making - It's all about the animals you can find in North Americas Wild Frontier set in a late 1800s style.(the same time frame the Bicycle tuck case design)  Please let me know what you think.
If you want to see more of it: https://www.facebook.com/frontierdeck

Re: The Frontier Deck
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:54 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I'm in for a deck, great artwork and I like the style and theme.The only suggestion I have is to do something with the snakes.  I'm not a snake fan, but understand they serve a purpose in the history and thus likely belong in this deck.  Beyond that though, the snakes don't look polished enough.  That may have to do with the nature of their appearance and the detail can only be in the scales, but they don't look like they were cleaned up enough digitally.  At first glance they look like somebody just did a sketch, scanned it in and slapped it on the card.  Obviously you did do work on it, but they just don't 'pop'.  Perhaps experiment with sharpening or darkening slightly, maybe adding some background detail?  In looking at them closer I think the eyes and nose need to be brought out more to bring out those features more so they look as professional as the other animals.

So the suits are large mammals, small mammals, birds and snakes?  That's pretty cool and I really like the footprints on the tuck, but a bit disappointed that theme didn't carry over to the cards.  It would be neat to replace them as suits, but that would impact play-ability and would not be received well.  I would like to see them incorporated if possible, perhaps as a crest/shield on the cards instead of the uniformly used antlers or elsewhere. 

Overall I still really like it though, nice work so far.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

pitneyw

• Newcomer
I'm in for a deck, great artwork and I like the style and theme.The only suggestion I have is to do something with the snakes.  I'm not a snake fan, but understand they serve a purpose in the history and thus likely belong in this deck.  Beyond that though, the snakes don't look polished enough.  That may have to do with the nature of their appearance and the detail can only be in the scales, but they don't look like they were cleaned up enough digitally.  At first glance they look like somebody just did a sketch, scanned it in and slapped it on the card.  Obviously you did do work on it, but they just don't 'pop'.  Perhaps experiment with sharpening or darkening slightly, maybe adding some background detail?  In looking at them closer I think the eyes and nose need to be brought out more to bring out those features more so they look as professional as the other animals.

So the suits are large mammals, small mammals, birds and snakes?  That's pretty cool and I really like the footprints on the tuck, but a bit disappointed that theme didn't carry over to the cards.  It would be neat to replace them as suits, but that would impact play-ability and would not be received well.  I would like to see them incorporated if possible, perhaps as a crest/shield on the cards instead of the uniformly used antlers or elsewhere. 

Overall I still really like it though, nice work so far.

Glad you like it!  I can hear you on the no love for snakes - its a little hard to trust anyone without a good handshake. 
Hm, I can see what you're talking about and I'll have to experiment with a few things to improve longer distance readability.  I've attached a detail pic of one of them for reference.
  So, there are really two decks, one red, the other blue. The Blue deck are a range of wildlife while the Red deck is made up of animals that eat the blue ones.

List of Royals:
----------------------------------
The Frontier Deck: Blue
Spades - Hooves
+ Moose, Elk, Deer, Buffalo

Clubs - Birds
+ Quail, Turkey, Duck

Hearts - Critters
+ Rabbit, Raccoon, Squirrel

Diamonds - Bears
+ Black Bear, Brown Bear, Polar Bear

The Predator Edition: Red
Spades - Birds of Prey
+ Falcon, Hawk, Owl, Eagle

Clubs - Dogs
+ Fox, Coyote, Wolf

Hearts - Cats
+ Ocelot, Bobcat, Mountain Lion

Diamonds - Snakes
+ Coral Snake, Water Moccasin, Rattlesnake

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:32:09 AM »

pitneyw

• Newcomer
Okay, some time has past and I'm nearing KS launch!  You can look at the preview link here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2101140889/1013115913?token=9fd738ff

Please let me know if you see anything glaring

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 02:45:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Okay, some time has past and I'm nearing KS launch!  You can look at the preview link here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2101140889/1013115913?token=9fd738ff

This deck has a lot of potential.  It reminds me of some of the older USPC designs dating back a century or more, so the older box style was an excellent choice.  The most important thing here is that the design has a potential appeal that reaches well beyond the playing card collecting community.  All of the most successful decks on Kickstarter followed this same pattern.  Naturists, hunters, campers, artists, art aficionados, etc. would all find this design very attractive and desirable.

If you haven't already, you should contact shops that deal in camping/hunting equipment - this would be a must-have next to the cash register, I would think.

Your goal does seem a little high, but I think the potential popularity of the deck will make up for that and it's better to aim high and miss than it is to aim low, get funded and run out of cash before completing fulfillment.

Consider creating a stretch goal of a full-color version of each deck as a deluxe edition.  I think it would be extremely popular, though then the challenge falls on you to add the right color to your work.  You could offer them in pairs, placed in a display box or similar, even serial number them - collectors go crazy for that kind of thing.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 03:49:33 AM »

troy

• True Member

Excellent work. It seems like you executed exactly what you wanted to do. Along with excellent craftmanship, they would be very usable/playable. I'll get a couple of each colour! Well done.

Nice touch with the jokers!

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »

pitneyw

• Newcomer

This deck has a lot of potential.  It reminds me of some of the older USPC designs dating back a century or more, so the older box style was an excellent choice.  The most important thing here is that the design has a potential appeal that reaches well beyond the playing card collecting community.  All of the most successful decks on Kickstarter followed this same pattern.  Naturists, hunters, campers, artists, art aficionados, etc. would all find this design very attractive and desirable.

If you haven't already, you should contact shops that deal in camping/hunting equipment - this would be a must-have next to the cash register, I would think.

Your goal does seem a little high, but I think the potential popularity of the deck will make up for that and it's better to aim high and miss than it is to aim low, get funded and run out of cash before completing fulfillment.

Consider creating a stretch goal of a full-color version of each deck as a deluxe edition.  I think it would be extremely popular, though then the challenge falls on you to add the right color to your work.  You could offer them in pairs, placed in a display box or similar, even serial number them - collectors go crazy for that kind of thing.

Thanks Don, I'm very happy where this deck ended up.  Good call, I'll definitely have to spread the word to non card / kickstarter people.
Aaaaah yeah,  :-\  nearly 30 K is quite the intimidating goal.  I guess its all part of the risk/reward of not compromising on a dream.
A colored deck you say? Hmmm that sounds tempting... I'll definitely ask my numbers guy to see what it would take to make that happen. :bosswalk:

Thank you Troy!  I'm really excited that it finally happening

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:01:07 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
You have a great concept going! I love the art so far!

I was just wondering about the queen of spades. Female elk don't usually have antlers, and I think it would create some interesting contrast if you left them out.

I would also recommend shrinking the size of the borders. They seem a bit thick.

So far, so good!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:17:28 PM »

pitneyw

• Newcomer
 >:( Sound the alarm! The deck will launch tomorrow 6/5 at 11am CST!!!  :D

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the update!

Are you planning on making any more changes to the design?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 12:14:30 AM »

pitneyw

• Newcomer
Thanks for the update!

Afraid not, I am past the point of no return

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the update!

Afraid not, I am past the point of no return

If you say so.

Good luck with the project!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
That's a sharp deck. I like the theme/art-style - it feels like a deck for a hunting lodge/US park gift shop. Well done!
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."