The Discourse Deck

Author (Read 8466 times)

Re: The Discourse Deck
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm with you John, the UC deck was beautiful but something that had it's own personality would open it up to producing an annual themed deck.  'Discourse branded' in the style of bicycle to tie them together maybe

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 01:16:43 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I'm with you John, the UC deck was beautiful but something that had it's own personality would open it up to producing an annual themed deck.  'Discourse branded' in the style of bicycle to tie them together maybe

Although I love the Bicycle brand, IMO the worst thing you could do to make a deck stand out would be to brand it Bicycle. I will get plenty of heat, but... there it is. You want someone to buy your deck because it is excellent not because they buy everything that bike makes.

"awakin CBJ"
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 05:40:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Tom was suggesting a deck that was more of a signature piece - a design that's meant to capture the eye and show off the best card design possible in a single deck, one that marries the classic and the modern.  It doesn't even have to be insanely elaborate - it just has to be beautiful and timeless.

A good example is the Sentinels deck.  If you were dropped into your favorite author's fantasy-setting world of, say, the Victorian era or the old west, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine something like the Sentinels being the standard design.  They're simple and practically minimalist, but they draw on a number of old cultural design elements - they're modern, nearly high-tech, but at the same time classic and drawing from old-school concepts, with a sort of Freemason aesthetic.

We wouldn't want to ape the Sentinels deck element-for-element, but it's a good general direction to head in.  Imagine the courts being slightly more "painterly" in appearance and the teeny little pips on the spot cards being blown up to vintage-deck proportions, and that might be a first step to what would work very nicely.

While we do want to tie in 52+J and the Discourse, we also want it to be an attractive-enough deck that anyone who saw it would be interested in having a pack or two at home, or giving them as little gifts to friends and family.  The point was raised that the UC deck was strictly a promotional deck - and they're right.  It promoted the board and the board's owner at the time.  We should want this to be a deck with a much broader appeal than just the people who hang out on message boards talking about playing cards all day and night...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:36 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Although I love the Bicycle brand, IMO the worst thing you could do to make a deck stand out would be to brand it Bicycle. I will get plenty of heat, but... there it is. You want someone to buy your deck because it is excellent not because they buy everything that bike makes.

"awakin CBJ"

I don't think it should be bicycle. People who see it will see it as another off the shelf deck. With no branding ( or maybe Discourse instead of bicycle?)  it stands out more.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I've just been absorbing this thread as it developes, I love the idea very much, but two points were made that I couldn't agree more with....

We should want this to be a deck with a much broader appeal than just the people who hang out on message boards talking about playing cards all day and night... 

I think the link/tie back to the site will happen regardless when the deck is produced. People should pick it up on its own merit as Jackson stated and that, if they are like many of us, will direct them to check out where this deck came from and why.

Hopeing for this project to become a reality.

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Agreed.  My bicycle example wasn't the best, that's some seriously overpowering branding.  Just something subtle like a small standardised Discourse motif on the edge, or even a label.  Let the deck be its own piece and have its own theme.   But it would be nice down the line if you could stack a set and see a small 'D' across the line.  Just thinking ahead.

Agree with Don, don't think the deck needs to be over the top.  Something refined and elegant that will appeal to a wide audience.  Zombies, no ;)

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Zombies, no ;)

No zombies, no steampunk, no Lovecraftian Mythos, no movie monsters...

Picture an alternate universe where a pack of these cards would be a high-end example of a standard deck.  There's no need for an additional theme to be hung on it like a cheap dress.

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Gilded edges would be classy.

Insert tongue into cheek...

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
no, they make the worse for actual use.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Yeah, I was joking. Other than Bling, as the kids say, it adds nothing to a deck from what I hear.

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I would buy a gilded deck, though :P

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Please don't let this idea die!
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

"awakin CBJ"

Did someone call me?

I actually...... agree with Jackson.

Obviously I'm a Bicycle whore.. but...

I have tons of amazing decks that are not branded.  The most recent ones that blew me away  is the Empire, Jackson's decks, and now the grotesque.
I'm a huge fan of the Arcane decks.

I don't think any deck needs the Bicycle logo on it... I just prefer it on most
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 03:21:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So, Jackson - where are things on this project?

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »

vixentorgames

I'm curious about this myself. Now that I've designed a deck of cards, I'm itching to do it again. Chipping in on one would be an easier way to go than tackling the whole thing again. The last one took me most of a year.

I can design stuff, format files for print, collect elements to build individual cards, stuff like that. I know I'm new here, but I'm not new to design. I've been a print designer for 15 years.

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 01:49:35 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

I'm curious about this myself. Now that I've designed a deck of cards, I'm itching to do it again. Chipping in on one would be an easier way to go than tackling the whole thing again. The last one took me most of a year.
I can design stuff, format files for print, collect elements to build individual cards, stuff like that. I know I'm new here, but I'm not new to design. I've been a print designer for 15 years.

You should post some of your stuff. or.. just to get the juices flowing ... go with  Multiwolves sipping various alcoholic beverages for face cards, write the word "pip" instead of having any distinguishable suits  and make sure there is no discernible order to them scattered around the card, also on the back clip art a giant truck running over a 1970's Volkswagen beetle. 
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 02:26:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You should post some of your stuff. or.. just to get the juices flowing ... go with  Multiwolves sipping various alcoholic beverages for face cards, write the word "pip" instead of having any distinguishable suits  and make sure there is no discernible order to them scattered around the card, also on the back clip art a giant truck running over a 1970's Volkswagen beetle.

Hey, that's not nice!  Funny, perhaps, but not nice...  :))

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »

vixentorgames

Right now the only deck I've designed is the Plugged Nickel deck:

http://vixentorgames.com/

Not sure I could pull off the drinking wolves. Maybe if I could throw some barbed wire on them...

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
I didn't know they came without barbed wire. A little know fact about multi-wolves is that they have 5 hearts. You gotta have a real steady hand to bring one down.

Also.

How about some art or sketches none deck related?
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:46 PM »

vixentorgames

Well, that is a good idea, but I will have to run down some of my art first. I could show you my design portfolio, but aside from a couple logos, there's nothing in there that was drawn. I directed a lot of photoshoots, but I don't think that will help in this case.

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »

sastian

• Elite Member
  • All my cards are on the table

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I guess its time for me to throw my two cents in here. In order for this to work wouldn't it have to be a discourse branded deck? And in turn that would mean that discourse would be up for rebranding. In my humble opinion discourse doesn't really have a brand visually speaking. The name recognition maybe there by now but there is definitely not a good visual identifier. Unless of course you want a use Don Boyers avatar. (tounge in cheek)

As a brand designer, I could be talked into developing a good brand for the packaging. I'm not talking about the brand of the deck but the brand of discourse in the same way that bicycle is a brand. On the upside the website could get a good refresh from this as well.

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:51 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I honestly don't think there should be a discourse deck. There already has been a discourse deck. I want to see a 52 plus joker deck.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 11:43:37 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I guess its time for me to throw my two cents in here. In order for this to work wouldn't it have to be a discourse branded deck? And in turn that would mean that discourse would be up for rebranding. In my humble opinion discourse doesn't really have a brand visually speaking. The name recognition maybe there by now but there is definitely not a good visual identifier. Unless of course you want a use Don Boyers avatar. (tounge in cheek)

As a brand designer, I could be talked into developing a good brand for the packaging. I'm not talking about the brand of the deck but the brand of discourse in the same way that bicycle is a brand. On the upside the website could get a good refresh from this as well.

I guess what I had more in mind is taking the brilliant minds of collectors and artists and joining forces to do something everyone on the forum would love, I'm not sure if the point is really to brand the Discourse, unless that's what Tom and everyone want.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 01:00:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Unless of course you want a use Don Boyers avatar. (tounge in cheek)

Someone beat you to it...

http://www.playingcardforum.com/the-conversation-parlor/bicycle-boyer-coming-er-soon/

I honestly don't think there should be a discourse deck. There already has been a discourse deck. I want to see a 52 plus joker deck.

Actually, there was only a deck by AetherCards with no forum branding, but they're no longer part of the picture, existing as nothing more than a redirect pointing here.  We've never completed and printed a Discourse deck, whereas there have been 52+J decks before.  Tom was nice enough to give me one a few months back, about five years old if memory serves.

I guess what I had more in mind is taking the brilliant minds of collectors and artists and joining forces to do something everyone on the forum would love, I'm not sure if the point is really to brand the Discourse, unless that's what Tom and everyone want.

Nah.  We tried that once.  The expressions about too many cooks and plenty of chiefs but no Indians both applied.  The project ground to a halt under its own weight.

At this point, all I can tell you guys is: "Stay tuned."

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

At this point, all I can tell you guys is: "Stay tuned."

I saw something pretty interesting a little while back.

If I'm correct then "OMG-Stay tuned"
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB