You are Here:
Bicycle Wild West Deck - Eagle Playing Cards

Author (Read 9099 times)

Bicycle Wild West Deck - Eagle Playing Cards
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »

Eagle Playing Cards

• Newcomer
We are creating this deck that will be called Bicycle Wild West Deck. We need to know what you think before we publish it :)

here are some designs:

OUTDATED BACK ON THIS ONE!

UPDATED PICTURE CARDS.
All the red ones are indians or shamans while the black ones are cowboys and bandits

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:32:16 PM by Eagle Playing Cards »

Re: Bicycle Wild West Deck - Eagle Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Do you have the bullet hole on all the cards or just a select few? That could give away the value of the card to other players.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I like the 1st back design, although I could do without the money bags. Not a big fan of the bullet holes either. Nice little reveal on the Joker. Of course these are MY opinions. Seemes to be a lot of "Aged" decks out there, but I think if it's done right and goes with the concept it can work.

I think people would want to see a little more, courts, maybe some of the reguloar cards and pip design.

Either way, good luck with your project.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »

Eagle Playing Cards

• Newcomer
Thanks all! I need to tell you that the bullet hole is a gaff card. the acutal cards are going to be "normal". the story of the gaff cards goes like this: you force the spectator to pick the 4 of clubs and make it disappear into the deck again. now say "any card you grab from the deck now will be you card!". now force them to take the 5 of clubs and say "was that you card?" they will say no, it was the 4 of clubs. now switch the card with top switch(optional) and hide the bullet hole with all you fingers as if you were hiding a ripped of corner(hope that explained). now throw the card into the air while spinning while acting shooting a hole in the card by shouting "BANG!" and point your finger at the card. they turn it arround from the ground and will see that you shot a pip away from the card.

Ace of spades and some royals will be posted very soon!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks all! I need to tell you that the bullet hole is a gaff card. the acutal cards are going to be "normal". the story of the gaff cards goes like this: you force the spectator to pick the 4 of clubs and make it disappear into the deck again. now say "any card you grab from the deck now will be you card!". now force them to take the 5 of clubs and say "was that you card?" they will say no, it was the 4 of clubs. now switch the card with top switch(optional) and hide the bullet hole with all you fingers as if you were hiding a ripped of corner(hope that explained). now throw the card into the air while spinning while acting shooting a hole in the card by shouting "BANG!" and point your finger at the card. they turn it arround from the ground and will see that you shot a pip away from the card.

It's a nice custom gaff card.

The deck overall isn't bad.  The back needs some work - the money bags don't seem to fit well in the design, nor do the skulls.  Think of things more traditionally associated with the Old West - wagon wheels, horses, rifles, etc.

Your courts are the weakest thing about this deck.  Instead of retrofitting standard courts into something they're not, be creative and make new courts - or just leave the courts alone, but use authentic period courts of the era, circa 1870-1890.

Consider ditching the aged-look effect.  So many decks have used it in recent years.  You could simply make an elegant ivory-colored background, or go for traditional white.  Make the deck look like a deck you could have purchased from the general store in Carson City back in 1877.

Use something other than a J for the joker index.  Jacks already use that.  A common replacement is a five-pointed star in a circle.  Another you could use would be a tiny bull's-eye.  And of course, there's the traditional USPC index - a U and an S overlapping each other.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 02:37:26 AM »

Eagle Playing Cards

• Newcomer

It's a nice custom gaff card.

The deck overall isn't bad.  The back needs some work - the money bags don't seem to fit well in the design, nor do the skulls.  Think of things more traditionally associated with the Old West - wagon wheels, horses, rifles, etc.

Your courts are the weakest thing about this deck.  Instead of retrofitting standard courts into something they're not, be creative and make new courts - or just leave the courts alone, but use authentic period courts of the era, circa 1870-1890.

Consider ditching the aged-look effect.  So many decks have used it in recent years.  You could simply make an elegant ivory-colored background, or go for traditional white.  Make the deck look like a deck you could have purchased from the general store in Carson City back in 1877.

Use something other than a J for the joker index.  Jacks already use that.  A common replacement is a five-pointed star in a circle.  Another you could use would be a tiny bull's-eye.  And of course, there's the traditional USPC index - a U and an S overlapping each other.

Thanks for that great feedback, i will consider all the suggested changes.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »

Ben Taylor

I didn't realize that indians ran around with dinosaur skulls on their heads.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I didn't realize that indians ran around with dinosaur skulls on their heads.

Could be a mountain lion.  But either way, it's just so shoe-horned into the design, it's not a good fit.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 07:09:14 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Really diggin' that "vintage 1800" feel to it.
Broke for cards

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »

Barry Hurton

• Forum Regular
I see a lot of promise!

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
On the side of the box it says "air cusion finish" will you please change that to cushion, it's distracting me lol
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 01:04:10 AM »

Eagle Playing Cards

• Newcomer
On the side of the box it says "air cusion finish" will you please change that to cushion, it's distracting me lol

okay! all those changes will be posted when ready!

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like what you did with the 4 there from a design perspective. It might effect playability, but I'm not sure how many deck collectors care about that (I play with all my cards, so it's a pretty big deal for me). As a side benefit, it could be used for some REALLY fun magic tricks...

Luke
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like what you did with the 4 there from a design perspective. It might effect playability, but I'm not sure how many deck collectors care about that (I play with all my cards, so it's a pretty big deal for me). As a side benefit, it could be used for some REALLY fun magic tricks...

Luke

The four with the bullet hole is a gaff card, used by magician's for certain magic tricks.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:54 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Some back design feedback:

If you're going to use the first design, scrap the money bags, or at the very least remove the $ signs. It looks kinda cheesy with them. Maybe you could replace them with more floral designs or possibly Sheriff Badges?

I think the second back looks better in the state that they're in. But if you use the 2nd back, be sure to either remove the blank ribbons or make them more intricate. They look like a text banner that just hasn't had the text put in.

Now, you could put words in them, but I don't see what you would have them say. Wild west quotes would look cheesy, and the name of the deck would look distasteful, IMO. Plus, if a back design has text, it's usually in Latin. ( The T11 Sentinels deck is one exception, but it has Greek lettering. The Majestic deck's back has English, but I think it looks pretentious.). Latin wouldn't fit the design, not to mention the deck works OK without text. Maybe swap the ribbon banners for a more interesting scroll, or an object? I think a rifle or a length of rope would fit the design perfectly. The rifle would probably work better.

I also think you should do something about the skulls on both the back designs. The skulls look out of place, and makes it look like you took the idea from the Calavera deck.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1894542039/calaveras-day-of-the-dead-inspired-bicycle-playing?ref=live

You could make the design more unique and cohesive if you changed them to cow skulls.

Also, that's a sweet gaff!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:13:00 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I like were you are going with this deck.   Looking good! Count me in on this deck when you are done!  The guns and the money bag design makes me think of train and bank robberies.  Maybe design some images that provoke that thought in some of the court cards. 
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016