Bicycle "Venexiana" deck

Author (Read 9407 times)

Re: Bicycle "VENEXIANA" now on JumpStartCity
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Oh, so like Roseanne Roseannadanna who lived in Louisiana, married a man from Texarkana and purchased a deck called Venexiana.

I'll remember it now. :)

OK, now you're dating yourself - do you realize how few people here on this board were even ALIVE when she was on the air?  :)) Never mind being old enough at the time to stay up late enough to watch her...

Okay, so I remember when SNL first came on the air...but I wasn't allowed to stay up and watch it.  I did however deploy stealth recon missions to the living room to get sneak peeks at late night tv.  I miss Gilda Radner, she's a classic.

I watched the series' premiere episode at a party my mom took me to at her friend's house.  I was pretty young - pre-teen.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I'm sorry to say that I retracted my deck from JSC. This crowdfunding site has a really stupid system which either will be changed or will die, I think.
I apologize to all  people who gave their time to support it so far. I'll seek a way to have it launched on KS, or get it printed. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I'm sorry to say that I retracted my deck from JSC. This crowdfunding site has a really stupid system which either will be changed or will die, I think.
I apologize to all  people who gave their time to support it so far. I'll seek a way to have it launched on KS, or get it printed. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

I'd love to see this deck created, PM me if you want my help.  I'd be happy to do what I can.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
This deck deserves to be made.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thank you.

I'd love to see this deck created, PM me if you want my help.  I'd be happy to do what I can.

Lotrek, just remember that there are other ways - between Alex, Soliloquy and others, your deck can be made.

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2013, 11:59:14 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Thank you.

Lotrek, just remember that there are other ways - between Alex, Soliloquy and others, your deck can be made.

Which Alex are we talking about? I don't know how I got dragged into this, haha. I can't help much outside of offering this forum as a marketing agent for you. Dozens of other decks got a huge jump start (no pun intended) from that.

AAAAANYWAY

I just jumped into this thread to point out that you could easily partner with someone from the US to collect funds for you. It would work kind of like this:

- The account is made by a US person you trust, it is linked to their finances.

- You gain access to the account and set up your KS how you want. You will update the project along the way as you see fit. Everything outside of managing finances is in your hands.

- Income is gained and payed out to USPCC. USPCC delivers the cards to YOUR address overseas. You fulfill rewards from overseas.Project manager takes a cut, probably like 3-5%. or USPCC ships to your project manager/fulfillment company within the US, and the project is fulfilled from the US. In this case your project manager would get a larger cut, at least 10% or more depending on how much he or she has to ship out. Try and figure out how long it will take to ship one package, and do the math. You should go for about $15/hour for the shipping/management work.

That's all I got on my end. Good luck man.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 02:12:36 AM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
"Which Alex are we talking about?"

Hey Alex, I think Don means Alex Willis from MMG.

Thanks for your advice!

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 02:30:17 AM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
Don't forget, both you and the U.S. Project manager will have to take taxes into account as well.

Do you have any relatives in the U.S. you can trust?

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2013, 02:33:09 AM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Don't forget, both you and the U.S. Project manager will have to take taxes into account as well.

[/quote

No... That's the problem!

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:47 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Lotrek, I know you said you're not a US or UK citizen. Didn't see were you are from?
I think Alex I. has a possible idea there. Your US guy could take care of North & Central America fulfillment, and ship to you a couple big packages for overseas backers(not sure who gets South America).
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2013, 02:50:32 AM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Lotrek, I know you said you're not a US or UK citizen. Didn't see were you are from?
I think Alex I. has a possible idea there. Your US guy could take care of North & Central America fulfillment, and ship to you a couple big packages for overseas backers(not sure who gets South America).

I'm from Greece and this makes things more complicated, because due to the situation here, some people may think that I am a scammer!
Few years ago people thought that all Greeks are philosophers, now they think all Greeks are scammers.... >:(

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2013, 03:28:57 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

In the US, simply get a reseller's tax certificate to avoid paying sales tax to USPCC. This saves thousands of dollars.

What's weird is that by law all online purchases must now charge tax as well in the USA. KS doesn't allow creators to charge sales tax (which would offset the silly income tax you're forced to pay on income that literally doesn't exist since it's all spent). I guess that further reinforces that KS is not a store.

How does KS require US residency, exactly? What if you set up a US based bank account + Amazon Payments account, and just hired a shipping fulfillment company to take care of that end?

Forum Founder.

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2013, 04:27:59 AM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
This makes sense. I only need to find a trustworthy distributor, because I hate the idea of my backers not getting their rewards.

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 07:56:01 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I'm from Greece and this makes things more complicated, because due to the situation here, some people may think that I am a scammer!
Few years ago people thought that all Greeks are philosophers, now they think all Greeks are scammers.... >:(

I have a friend/associate in Cyprus and she tells me all greeks are philosphical scammers.  :P  Just Kidding.  But I don't know that I've ever heard that about Greeks.  i know there's been civil unrest with the government and all, but we are talking about playing cards and artwork here, not a get rich quick scheme. 

Is the restriction with KS the Amazon Payments account?  I currently transact business internationally and receive payments in Yen, Euro, Pounds, Pesos, Canadian Dollar... all through my Amazon Payment account.  Countries like Brazil tax me directly through Amazon payments on my sales through Amazon, so I know you can have and use Amazon Payments internationally. 

I guess it all comes down to trust.  You have to trust a US based "Distributor" and they have to trust you.  They provide a service of listing and promoting your project and then fullfilling it.  Also, they'd be responsible to pay US Taxes on any money collected for the product sale.  You'd want to make sure your partner has a "Resale License" in the state in which they are incorporated and an EIN (Federal Tax ID) to report tax collection.  Because I'm incorporated in Pennsylvania, any sales I make to customers in the state I have to pay the state 6%, outside the state I pay nothing.  The Federal government looks at the profit earned (Sales - cost of goods sold - other taxes - qualified expenses - shipping and distribution costs...) and then tacks on their percentage. 

You would have to trust that they'd send you the money collected (less fees, distribution costs and taxes). 

They would have to trust that you'd use the money to produce the product and provide for shipping expenses to the distributor.

You would have to trust that they'd ship the product and do so on time.

Who has the greater risk?  IMHO - the US Based Distributor.  It's his reputation on the line, it's him who could face lawsuits if you don't fullfill your promise to produce and deliver.  Also, they'd need to be saavy enough to understand the law with regards to distribution and tax responsibility when working with international partners.

Alex Willis
Man Made Games

Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I have a friend/associate in Cyprus and she tells me all greeks are philosphical scammers.  :P  Just Kidding.  But I don't know that I've ever heard that about Greeks.  i know there's been civil unrest with the government and all, but we are talking about playing cards and artwork here, not a get rich quick scheme. 

Is the restriction with KS the Amazon Payments account?  I currently transact business internationally and receive payments in Yen, Euro, Pounds, Pesos, Canadian Dollar... all through my Amazon Payment account.  Countries like Brazil tax me directly through Amazon payments on my sales through Amazon, so I know you can have and use Amazon Payments internationally. 

I guess it all comes down to trust.  You have to trust a US based "Distributor" and they have to trust you.  They provide a service of listing and promoting your project and then fullfilling it.  Also, they'd be responsible to pay US Taxes on any money collected for the product sale.  You'd want to make sure your partner has a "Resale License" in the state in which they are incorporated and an EIN (Federal Tax ID) to report tax collection.  Because I'm incorporated in Pennsylvania, any sales I make to customers in the state I have to pay the state 6%, outside the state I pay nothing.  The Federal government looks at the profit earned (Sales - cost of goods sold - other taxes - qualified expenses - shipping and distribution costs...) and then tacks on their percentage. 

You would have to trust that they'd send you the money collected (less fees, distribution costs and taxes). 

They would have to trust that you'd use the money to produce the product and provide for shipping expenses to the distributor.

You would have to trust that they'd ship the product and do so on time.

Who has the greater risk?  IMHO - the US Based Distributor.  It's his reputation on the line, it's him who could face lawsuits if you don't fullfill your promise to produce and deliver.  Also, they'd need to be saavy enough to understand the law with regards to distribution and tax responsibility when working with international partners.

Alex Willis
Man Made Games

Sounds like you just gave yourself the job interview...  :))

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 10:01:36 AM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Haha! Right Don!

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Sounds like you just gave yourself the job interview...  :))

I didn't actually mean it to sound that way, but it is one line of business we had considered doing for a while now. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »

Lucky Card Company

• Facebook:
Getting back on topic, what is the status of this deck, just saw the thread and artwork and I'm really interested in it.

Best Regards,
Martin S.
Lucky Card Company, Inc.

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
The status of the deck is that I'm on my way to get it printed either  by launching it on KS or in some other way. I had it on JumpStartCity but due to this weird voting system, the universe there has fallen asleep...

Thanks for your interest!  :)

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 10:27:56 PM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
I suspect the founders of JSC vastly overestimated the starting audience for their site, and should have had a few carefully selected projects up for funding right away instead of this voting/waiting period.  If they don't make changes soon, none of the projects will qualify.

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 04:41:38 AM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I suspect the founders of JSC vastly overestimated the starting audience for their site, and should have had a few carefully selected projects up for funding right away instead of this voting/waiting period.  If they don't make changes soon, none of the projects will qualify.

Exactly. I think voting apart from being totally useless as an idea, requiring 500 points at a stage that few people know about the site, makes it unrealistic.

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's not the world's worst idea, but in the early stages, you need a somewhat more lax set of rules or nothing will ever get funded.  50 people rather than 500 would have been smarter, and fewer "stages" before it becomes an actual live project that's accepting pledges.

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2013, 02:02:21 AM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
I hate to think this deck may not ever get made, I liked it a lot
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2013, 02:07:55 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Wait so why would HOPC not do this deck? It's OBJECTIVELY better than 90% of their releases.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2013, 02:35:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wait so why would HOPC not do this deck? It's OBJECTIVELY better than 90% of their releases.

To me, the likeliest reason would be an overcrowded deck schedule.

It could also have to do with the fact that not one person even mentioned House of Playing Cards on this entire thread...until you did, just now.  Lotrek, do you know about HOPC already?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:36:07 AM by Don Boyer »