You are Here:
The Mechanical Card Deck by Dale Mathis

Author (Read 8440 times)

The Mechanical Card Deck by Dale Mathis
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »

dalemathis

• A lover of great Design no matter what it is.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
So I had this idea after looking at a Deck of cards with a Steampunk theme. I thought, wouldn't it be cool if the gears on the Tuck Box really worked instead of just being a printed image? Wouldn't it be even cooler if there was a box set that also had some functionality to it, which would complement the Tuck Box design, maybe even some interactivity between the two? For those of you who are not familiar with who I am or what I do, my name is Dale Mathis and I create art work with a similarity to Steampunk. I work mainly in a 3D sculptural form and most of my work is functional in one way or another. I’m on a mission to incorporate functionality into my card Deck. The Cards graphic design will be designed around the box and other works of art I have created over the years. I will post images up as I move forward with the design. The images you see here are the creation of the Box that could contain the Cards, Dice, possibly Chips, My book and some extras that I will not talk about as of yet. I have also teamed up with Amber Rix, some of you may remember her Kickstarter Campaign last November when she made precision Dice. We will add a twist to her Dice for my particular project but more on that later. I am planning a Kickstarter campaign of my own around this once completed so you will have the opportunity to see the project from starts to finish before my campaign. Let me know what you think as I move forward.

Amber Rix Precision Dice.

The Finished look after the gilding process (Silver leafing or in printing terminology, Foiling). After foiling then a patina is applied or sometimes referred to as weathering. This is done to give it a more realistic metal look. Its done simply by adding watered down black paint.

By turning the Bolt Clockwise, this turns the gears which engages a spring latch mechanism withing the face of the box causing the box to open.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:17:51 AM by dalemathis »

Re: The Mechanical Card Deck by Dale Mathis
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:19:29 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
Man, I have no idea of what that is, but it sure is eye-catching. Your DM logo is pretty cool.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, which Steampunk deck were you referring to? There are so many...

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
WOW!
This looks extremely promising! As a side note, I've always loved your work! (Your executive desk is just too cool)
The fact that you're getting into cards makes me giddy!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:18:41 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you MrMollusk. I have a very good friend who's friends with my sister since high school, he actually works for Theory 11. He's one of their videographers who shoots their promo videos for upcoming card decks. Had I not known him, I would not have experimented with the card world. This project is going to be very exciting, I have some surprises up my sleeve that should take my cards to a new level..... Fingers crossed.  ;)

Thank you Sway, I was referring to some I saw online in a Google search and one I saw on Kickstarter. Most of them IMHO are pretty good. I just wanted to give the concept a bit more of a 3D effect with functionality as well. Hard to grasp in words but you will see what I mean soon..

Dale.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:21:51 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:24:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey, Dale,

The work looks insanely impressive.  I'm just wondering what such a deck of cards is going to cost with a tuck box like that.  Oh, and also how jealous will Theory11 be when they see it, since they're the masters of super-deluxe tuck boxes!

Notice that I combined your two replies into the first post you made.  When you have something to add to a post you made moments ago and no one has replied since, please edit the previous post and add what you wanted to add rather than making a new one.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:34 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you Don, I'm new to the forum thing...Lol...!

To answer your question regarding cost, I cant say just yet until its further developed. I will say I own my own manufacturing facility in Asia (Philippines) where my other art is fabricated in limited editions. With that said, the retail price will be digestible but it will be a little more than a normal super deluxe tuck box purely based on the fact that it's actually functional. These will be in limited editions (probably based on the duration of the Kickstarter project) and should carry their value crossing over into the fine art world as well as the Cardistry world. I have had a pretty good history in the commercial fine art world which would be good for the consumer/collector.

Don't want to piss Theory 11 off, my very good friend works for them shooting their videos.....:-) That's what made me want to experiment with cards, its totally not my medium. He does work for me as well and you may notice some of my art in a few of their videos. At the end of the day it works for everyone.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 02:29:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

To answer your question regarding cost, I cant say just yet until its further developed. I will say I own my own manufacturing facility in Asia (Philippines) where my other art is fabricated in limited editions. With that said, the retail price will be digestible but it will be a little more than a normal super deluxe tuck box purely based on the fact that it's actually functional. These will be in limited editions (probably based on the duration of the Kickstarter project) and should carry their value crossing over into the fine art world as well as the Cardistry world. I have had a pretty good history in the commercial fine art world which would be good for the consumer/collector.

Don't want to piss Theory 11 off, my very good friend works for them shooting their videos.....:-) That's what made me want to experiment with cards, its totally not my medium. He does work for me as well and you may notice some of my art in a few of their videos. At the end of the day it works for everyone.

Maybe you can even talk T11 into carrying your deck as part of their product line...

If they don't want it, try HOPC (http://houseofplayingcards.com).

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I love the box design and have thought about incorporating a mechanical box for one of the games I developing.  Have you considered adding an iris gear to allow a peek-a-boo look into the box?  Will production items be laser cut wood like this model is?  Please let me know when you go up on kickstarter with this, I think it compliments the Precision Dice nicely.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

Maybe you can even talk T11 into carrying your deck as part of their product line...

If they don't want it, try HOPC (http://houseofplayingcards.com).

I will definitely look into it Don. Thanks for the link to HOPC.

I love the box design and have thought about incorporating a mechanical box for one of the games I developing.  Have you considered adding an iris gear to allow a peek-a-boo look into the box?  Will production items be laser cut wood like this model is?  Please let me know when you go up on kickstarter with this, I think it compliments the Precision Dice nicely.
No Irsis gears for this particular project, I have other plans for the inside. This was actually cut with a CNC machine but I may look into having the parts cut with a Laser for production. Laser cutting is a lot cleaner than a CNC and faster. I will definitely let you know when I launch the Kickstarter.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:52:32 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 12:47:30 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Honestly, this is probably one of the coolest projects I've seen. Your work is truly amazing and inspiring. I really hope you can get these manufactured to sell.

Also, I think it'd be cool if the gears worked to OPEN the box. I have a few ideas onhow thatd work.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 01:03:37 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Honestly, this is probably one of the coolest projects I've seen. Your work is truly amazing and inspiring. I really hope you can get these manufactured to sell.

Also, I think it'd be cool if the gears worked to OPEN the box. I have a few ideas onhow thatd work.
Actually the gears do open the box my friend, by turning the Bolt....... I just have not shared that yet. More of that coming later...... Stay tuned.  ;)
Manufacturing is not a problem at all, the hurdle is getting enough people interested in this project to justify manufacturing..... Help spread the word and it will happen.

Mechanical Playing Cards by Dale Mathis Update...!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 05:50:02 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Here is an update on my Mechanical Playing Card. Just got the final relief in. Its made of Steel. The gears are Gold plated and yes its functional. I will have a link to see the video of the deck in action. I'm still set to launch this project on Kickstarter next month. Looking forward to its reception. I assume this will be the worlds first super embossed relief Tuck Box that's functional as well. In my campaign I will offer standard embossed tuck Box of the design, a metal relief and a plastic relief which will look like the metal version you see in the photos. This will give folks who may not be able to afford the high end versions a chance at being apart of the project. There will be more additions to this project so stay tuned. Check back soon.

Card Back Side.

Joker Card.

I used the Theory 11 Artisan Tuck Box as an example to showcase the mechanism.

Mechanical Poker Box kit.

Amber Rix precision Dice. A nice touch to this project. You can purchase these on Kickstarter. She is on her second campaign.

The Finished look after the gilding process (Silver leafing or in printing terminology, Foiling). After foiling then a patina is applied or sometimes referred to as weathering. This is done to give it a more realistic metal look. Its done simply by adding watered down black paint.

By turning the Bolt Clockwise, this turns the gears which engages a spring latch mechanism withing the face of the box causing the box to open.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 06:05:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Dale, I have to say, everything you're showing us is absolutely making us drool with desire!  It will undoubtedly be the most complex tuck box in the history of the US Playing Card Company.

...but if I could ask a favor, please - keep everything in a single, easy-to-find topic to avoid confusion for people checking the archives in the future?  I've merged your new topic with your old one!  Thanks!  :))

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 06:10:14 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thanks Don.....!

Will do my friend.. ;)

Dale.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
Absolutely stunning Dale!

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 11:38:08 PM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 01:34:17 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Freakin awesome!
The Artisans were a good choice for a demo deck. Will the paper deck have a similar box? (Black with gold foil)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 08:22:30 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I'm sold!  I love it.  And I'm pissed I didn't come up with the idea first.  I spend all my time building big things.  I can't wait to see the video and how you've incorporated the locking mechanism.  Well done.  I would be very interested in talking to you personally about doing something similar for a game box for one of our table top game currently finishing development.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Freakin awesome!
The Artisans were a good choice for a demo deck. Will the paper deck have a similar box? (Black with gold foil)

Yes it will.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I'm sold!  I love it.  And I'm pissed I didn't come up with the idea first.  I spend all my time building big things.  I can't wait to see the video and how you've incorporated the locking mechanism.  Well done.  I would be very interested in talking to you personally about doing something similar for a game box for one of our table top game currently finishing development.

Hello Alex I would be happy to lend a hand with your project.

Dale.

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Maaaaaan, I love how you've shown us how you put this deck together. I love seeing photos of the designers at work, just shows how hard they work and how pure the work is. 10/10, I'll definitely be picking up this deck
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thanks my friend. I have almost a year into it. Looking forward to seeing how it goes on Kickstarter.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 08:08:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks my friend. I have almost a year into it. Looking forward to seeing how it goes on Kickstarter.

You should head over to the Playing Card Plethora.  A new topic on your deck was started there since it's clearly out of the design stage and on its way to getting made.

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thanks Don, will check it out. Is that within the Discourse site or another website?

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 02:50:16 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 03:17:44 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
This project is, and has been for several months, exciting me to a point that words cannot adequately portray.     :mindf-ck:

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 03:36:06 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thanks Fred.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 03:37:14 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 03:39:47 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
This project is, and has been for several months, exciting me to a point that words cannot adequately portray.     :mindf-ck:

Thank you kdklown. Its exciting me as well....  :D

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 03:40:21 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

You should head over to the Playing Card Plethora.  A new topic on your deck was started there since it's clearly out of the design stage and on its way to getting made.
Thanks Don.

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 07:33:13 AM »

atomicfrancisco

that is phenomenal work! I'm a huge fan of steampunk, thats just awesome.

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »

dalemathis

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thank you my friend.  :)