You are Here:
Design in Progress!!!

Author (Read 4450 times)

Design in Progress!!!
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
Hey everyone!

I am brand new to this great forum. I have been researching the chances of getting a custom deck printed at a decent quality, and decided to start designing my deck while I research the best route to print. I want to charge as little as possible for my deck if this BUCKET LIST idea gets of the ground. I was hesitant about posting my design on the internet for anyone to take, but I have faith and will show you guys my Back Design as of right now. PLEASE, honest and constructive criticism is needed :)

Thanks,

Austin
If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker.

Re: Design in Progress!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:38:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey everyone!

I am brand new to this great forum. I have been researching the chances of getting a custom deck printed at a decent quality, and decided to start designing my deck while I research the best route to print. I want to charge as little as possible for my deck if this BUCKET LIST idea gets of the ground. I was hesitant about posting my design on the internet for anyone to take, but I have faith and will show you guys my Back Design as of right now. PLEASE, honest and constructive criticism is needed :)

Thanks,

Austin

I'm going to be very honest, and none of this is meant as personal insult.

It's boring.  Very boring.  As a magician, I'd think you'd want a two-way back design, as well.

I've got very little design experience at all - the most I've done is retouch low-to-medium-res scanned images to correct damage done to the original.  I could probably create a back like this, with the right tools, in about an afternoon.  And that's taking my time.  If someone's going to be paying $8, $10, $12 a pack, they want something that looks like some heart, soul and effort went into it.  This has none of the above.

Minimal design isn't a bad thing, if there's a purpose behind it.  This looks too simple yet not minimal.

Instead of trying to bang together a design, start thinking first about a theme.  Designers get their inspiration from all over the place.

Lance Miller, Gargoyles - inspired by Gothic architecture
Lance Miller, Actuators - inspired by steampunk/gearpunk culture/imagery
Russ Kercheval, Brimstone - inspired by alchemy and horror imagery
Russ Kercheval, Bicycle Americana - inspired by the Old West
Paul Carpenter, Tendril - inspired by the jungles of Central America
Paul Carpenter, Aurum - inspired by the city of Venice, Italy
Ellusionist, Artifice - inspired by old-school poker rooms and con artists

What was (or for that matter, still is) the inspiration for your deck back design?  What can you do to really convey that inspiration?  From here, it looks like your inspiration is a particular typeface and one of the four pips in a standard deck...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
Thanks for the feedback. Luckily this is just a very rough mock-up of the final product. I will keep what you said in mind.

Austin
If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Uhh, is this going to be a poker sized deck, or a pinochle deck?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
It is going to be a poker deck.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 07:49:13 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
Good to have you. I am new too and in the same boat.

I agree with Don about this initial design. I would shoot for a two way back, I myself almost never buy a one way design.

I like seeing the use of type, its a new idea but feel you need to rework this concept. You may want to research font art for some inspiration. Some pretty cool ideas out there. Check these out ( I just googled "font art" and went to the image tab)

If you did something like the Jay-z image, mirrored, for the court cards that would be killer.

Keep going!!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:52:26 PM by Ben K »
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
Thanks Ben. Thanks for the links! Since posting this, I have reworked the design, and will be making it a two way back, eventually. This was just a rough idea, and framework.

Austin

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
AuzzyDee no problem, I love to help. It's a very original idea and I look forward to seeing your development.
I understand, just a concept/thumbnail. Gotta start somewhere.

Hey you should also check out dafont.com . It's a well organized library of fonts. Pay attention though because some are free and some require a donation or purchase(its based on honor system). If you have any questions about it let me know.

How familiar are you with the computer programs adobe photoshop and illustrator?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:58:27 PM by Ben K »
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
Hey Ben.

Dafont is one of my favourite sites for design. I have a folder of great fonts from there. I have a lot of experience with Photoshop, and some with Illustrator. I have tons with Premiere but it won't help me here, haha.

I really appreciate the help, none the less. Thanks for the kind words :)

Austin

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »

Ben K

• True Member
AuzzyDee- awesome, you'll rock it out in no time.  Of course anytime.

Well actual premiere could help you edit your demo video if you get a prototype made. Would be great for adding that extra touch to a kickstarter page.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
Thanks! I actually just decided to put this on the back burner for a little bit. I thought it was not something to rush, and in the mean time I am working on another deck. I am going to post pictures. But basically the whole premise is based around the art of a child. So really sketchy pips, and what not. I am getting my little sister to help me out with this one.

The demo video is a great addition! Thanks again :D

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks! I actually just decided to put this on the back burner for a little bit. I thought it was not something to rush, and in the mean time I am working on another deck. I am going to post pictures. But basically the whole premise is based around the art of a child. So really sketchy pips, and what not. I am getting my little sister to help me out with this one.

The demo video is a great addition! Thanks again :D

As simple as that sounds, it's actually a rather complicated design idea to pull off - you'd be trying to strike the proper blend of "primitive/child-like" in the art and user-friendliness/functionality in the design.  Lean too heavily in either direction and the design ends up either too polished or too unusable.

I'm not saying to abandon the idea - but you're better off walking before running and crawling before walking.  Try some simpler concepts first to get your feet wet.  Even if they never see the light of day in a print shop, you'll gain experience from them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:34:55 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Color tips:

Red + Black + White = looks like poop

Red + Dark Red + Yellow = looks like it pops

Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
Alex, how do you get both?

I wanna reinvent the brown golden nuggets!

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
I took your advice Dan and scrapped my original idea. I have a theme now, and am basing the deck off of that.

I had a question for anyone who has designed a deck. Do you ever use royalty free vector images or brushes in your design.

Thanks, and have a great weekend,

Austin

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
I would alter the vector and make it your own before using it. Art is like magic, never reveal your secrets.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 09:36:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I took your advice Dan and scrapped my original idea. I have a theme now, and am basing the deck off of that.

I had a question for anyone who has designed a deck. Do you ever use royalty free vector images or brushes in your design.

Thanks, and have a great weekend,

Austin

Why is it that lately everyone's calling me Dan?  It's Don!  With an O!  :))

I look forward to seeing the new design.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
That was an honest mistake. Sorry Don. I type without looking at what I write, sometimes.

Sorry about that!

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
Ben, I get what you mean, but if I can help someone out, I will, instead of keeping the inspiration to myself. I do know what you are getting at though!

Thanks ,

Austin

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »

Ben K

• True Member
Austin-

I hear ya. You gotta do what's best for you!

If you need any tutorials or even a custom vector or two let me know. I would love to help you and it would help me out too (gotta keep updating my portfolio)  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:44:31 PM by Ben K »

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 11:56:12 PM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
If you need any tutorials or even a custom vector or two let me know. I would love to help you and it would help me out too (gotta keep updating my portfolio)  :)

Thanks a lot Ben!

That would be much appreciated. I have been working on a new design. I will message you with my direction.

Cheers!

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That was an honest mistake. Sorry Don. I type without looking at what I write, sometimes.

Sorry about that!

I wonder - if I changed my name to "Dan", would people start calling me Don?  Or maybe Den, Din or Dun?  Perhaps even Dyn...  :))

Etiquette tip: try to avoid double-posting - making two posts, one nearly immediately after the other.  Instead, edit the first post and add the new information.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 12:10:09 AM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
I figured out how to do that soon after.

Thanks

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 03:14:21 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Hey Auzzy Dee,

Designing a deck of cards is no easy feat. :) But very fullfiling once you see people loving the final design. The road to get there is really tough and rough... specially here in Aethercards because you have Dan/Don/Dun/Din/Den  (all vowels).

but we look forward to your concepts. I hope the best for your endeavors. :)

xoxo
Lara

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 03:17:05 AM »

AuzzyDee

• Facebook:
Hey Lara

I am up for the challenge, and want people to be as harsh as needed. I want to hopefully one day have an awesome design. Here is a mock-up I did for a Tuck Box, for the new design I have been brainstorming.

Thanks so much,

Austin :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:32:26 AM by AuzzyDee »