You are Here:
New deck: Ultimate Deck, by Stranger&stranger, produced by D&D

Author (Read 19996 times)

Re: New deck: Ultimate Deck, by Stranger&stranger, produced by D&D
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »

DJT

Got my decks and uncut, the decks are not gilded for what it is worth.  Bought the uncut to hang on the wall...

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 10:43:48 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Hello to all my fellow posters from UC. For those who don't know me, I have lurked here for a while but had not joined TD, probably just out of laziness. I hope that I can contribute in a meaningful and helpful way. Along those lines...

The Ultimate Deck box set that you saw in the UD pre-release pics will be available "soon" in a "very limited quantity". I don't know if the velvet bags are included, or exactly what "soon"  or in a "very limited quantity" mean.

Yeah, I'm just as curious as all of you are.

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 10:57:11 PM »

lameomaster

• Newcomer
  • Yes

The Ultimate Deck box set that you saw in the UD pre-release pics will be available "soon" in a "very limited quantity". I don't know if the velvet bags are included, or exactly what "soon"  or in a "very limited quantity" mean.

Yeah, I'm just as curious as all of you are.
So, what you're saying is that this is somewhat like TBC's luxury crown deck, with a standard version that's been released and a shiny version with velvet bag and gilded edges that will probably be only attainable in that 2 deck box, which will be released "soon".

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
From what I understand, yes, you are correct, but technically with the collector's item being the storage box for the two decks!

The question will boil down to this...will it be two decks and the box for $50, or $75 ( or more)? What will be ya value of that little box, albeit cool and a really nice design, to casual or serious collectors? I'm sure that it will be a polarizing subject!

I don't know if there will be gilded decks, or just standard ones, as part of the deal. I got the impression that was all still being worked out, but there has apparently been a great deal of interest in the set as a whole.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:42:36 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 01:37:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
From what I understand, yes, you are correct, but technically with the collector's item being the storage box for the two decks!

The question will boil down to this...will it be two decks and the box for $50, or $75 ( or more)? What will be ya value of that little box, albeit cool and a really nice design, to casual or serious collectors? I'm sure that it will be a polarizing subject!

I don't know if there will be gilded decks, or just standard ones, as part of the deal. I got the impression that was all still being worked out, but there has apparently been a great deal of interest in the set as a whole.

I get the feeling that the gilded decks were the ones produced initially for Stranger and Stranger to give out as company holiday gifts late last year, and that D&D worked out a deal when they designed the deck to allow them to carry a "plainer", different version without gilding.

As far as the boxes and velvet bags, I always thought they were part of the corporate gift packages S&S were distributing.  Are you certain they'll become available as a future D&D release?

As far as worth - as interesting as the deck is, I don't think it's worth the $25 that D&D are charging now, so I'm thinking that whatever they charge for the fancier set (assuming they even carry it sometime) will also likely be similarly overpriced.  It's a pass for me all around.  Give me those Steamboats and New Fan Backs!

BTW: Bigger Dee, DJT - welcome to the Discourse.  You should make an "Introduce Yourself" topic; I'm sure you'll get plenty of people coming out of the woodwork to welcome you as well.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 02:06:02 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Don, thank you for the welcome!

Oddly enough, I found out by asking! We had talked about it on UC, so I contacted D&D about it. They stated that it wasn't part of their package, and suggested that I get in touch with Stranger & Stranger. I did, and the person there gave me the heads-up. This person had obviously answered that same question before, and I got the strong impression that it was already in the works to do a very limited (their words) release. That should be easy to accomplish. The artwork, stock selection, test runs, et cetera, were done initially for their employee handout, or whatever the initial boxes were used for, so it would just be a matter of having a larger print run done. I wish that I had more details, but tats all that I have heard so far, although I was told that I'd be kept in the loop when more details were released.

I'm purely a collector, so my decks will never be opened so the beatifically detailed tucks ( I personally LOVE the tax stamp like seal!) in a matching detailed box is icing on the cake for me! I was very excited to hear that info from them, especially since I wasn't even confident that they would call back! I'll believe it when I see it, but I am very optimistic that we'll have something soon! I just hope that it's not priced like its solid gold!

I do agree that $25 is steep for a deck, but when you really think about the number of artists that contributed, as we as the probable production cost of the deck itself, it's not totally unreasonable, whether you choose to buy or not. I'm in for a few. I've bought far pricier decks than this one! Heck, you'd think that I would be skinny based on how little cash is left for food after all of the new cards are purchased every month!!  :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:11:40 AM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Sit down for this one kids, trust me!

I just received word that a "limited" number of the boxed decks will be available. Two gilded decks, rack in its own velvet bag, in the collector box. Exactly as you saw in the pictures.

$200 each. Plus shipping.

I did tell you to sit down first!

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Wow... Good thing I was sitting :) but $200 is quite the price tag for this boxed edition. With that kind of money I could buy a blue, sign LTD deck :)) but hmmm wonder how many takers there would be for that sucker.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Just think about it. The decks are $50/2. You're paying the extra $150 for gilding, two velvet bags, and a paper box, albeit a cool one. I was guessing $100-$125 for the set.

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Sit down for this one kids, trust me!

I just received word that a "limited" number of the boxed decks will be available. Two gilded decks, rack in its own velvet bag, in the collector box. Exactly as you saw in the pictures.

$200 each. Plus shipping.

I did tell you to sit down first!

LOL. That's something else, man.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
The sad part is...

I still want one. I'm hoping my common sense (if in fact I do have any) will kick in and keep me from dropping the cash.

Some more information: According to what I have read, at Christmas, S&S sends out a Christmas bottle. Usually a bottle of a specially selected spirit with a custom designed label/box. From what I have read online, 3 years ago they produced around 300 of these bottles to give out. Presumably to clients and maybe employees. This card set/box was what they produced and gave out this past Christmas, so it may be safe to guess that there are around 300 (give or take) of the sets in the hands of their clients/employees. Add to that the number that they will produce (?) for this promotion and you can surmise what would be the general ballpark number for total sets produced if scarcity/exclusivity is one of your goals for collecting this box. Of course, i would bet that a lot of the previously distributed boxes/decks have been opened, so that would leave the "Unopened set" number considerably smaller.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:54:47 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
Have you heard if these will be sold directly from the company or will they be doing it through D$D

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Directly through Stranger & Stranger.

They are having a pre-offer now for folks that talked with them specifically about it beforehand, but they will be advertised for general sales once the pre-sale is over.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:37:28 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Has anyone here bought, or heard of anyone else buying, one of the box sets? I'm curious.

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Has anyone here bought, or heard of anyone else buying, one of the box sets? I'm curious.

At that price, I couldn't be incurious enough...

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
There was a tweet by Dan and Dave saying that you can email stranger and stranger about the boxes. For $200 + shipping you get the nice looking box, 2 decks, and 2 pocket style bags to hold the decks in. Did I mention they want $57 for international shipping  :-[
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »

jennifer

• Newcomer
Literally just posted something on this, found a giveaway for the cards on Beast.com, two chances to win - one on FB one on Twitter. Just go to my post for the link!

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Jennifer, I did see your post and entered. Thanks for the heads-up!

Don, I know what you mean. It may wind up being one of the most rare collector's items simply because so very few folks are likely to spring for the set, and then keep it pristine. I love rarity, but not when it doesn't at least keep it's value!

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »

Ben K

• True Member
I ended up breaking down and bought an uncut sheet seeing as how it's 'art'...yada yada. Anyway d&d released a second print of uncuts, I was mad at first but then got over it because the second run also sold out.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:10:53 PM by Ben K »
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Not to be a smart aleck, but technically, unless an item is produced until the end of time, everything is "limited edition". I always remind myself of that whenever the "limited edition" aspect of a product becomes the deciding factor in one of my purchases. I try to throttle myself back to more of a "I want it because I really like it, not because it's limited" thought before I toss down hard-earned cash. I want one because I like it, and the "limited edition" factor is a bit of gravy, but I thought the same thing as you. "Hey, our limited edition sold out, so let's keep printing more runs of it!!". That does suck. When I saw that e-mail come across my inbox, my first thought was that there were going to be a lot of mad folks! Hate that you got stuck in that.

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »

Ben K

• True Member
BiggerDee I agree with you on the limited aspect and enjoyment factor, glad I got it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:10:06 PM by Ben K »
“To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Being only a collector myself, I understand and completely agree with you.

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I ended up breaking down and bought an uncut sheet seeing as how it's 'art'...yada yada. Anyway d&d released a second print of uncuts, I was mad at first but then got over it because the second run also sold out...now a friggen third print of the 'limited' uncut. What is limited about it?! Seriously?

At this point I am skeptical of the words "limited edition". It's all limited edition eventually but if you say limited to 200 then stick by your friggen word. I see why their are many disappointed fans.

As I see it, in a world with almost seven billion people living on it - that's 7,000,000,000; a lot of zeroes - the existence of anything in quantities of even a few tens of thousands is rare, never mind a few hundred.  If they made as much as 70,000 uncut sheets, there will still only be one in existence for every TEN THOUSAND people on the planet.  At even 700, they're the proverbial "one in a million".

Did they make ANY changes whatsoever to the uncut?  I'd think they'd at least update the copyright date to this year, since the deck was produced last year.  (Assuming there is a copyright date anywhere on it...)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:28:16 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

Ben K

• True Member
As I see it, in a world with over seven billion people living on it - that's 7,000,000,000; a lot of zeroes - the existence of anything in quantities of even a few tens of thousands is rare, never mind a few hundred.

Did they make ANY changes whatsoever to the uncut?  I'd think they'd at least update the copyright date to this year, since the deck was produced last year.  (Assuming there is a copyright date anywhere on it...)

I agree and from the collector standpoint I'm cool. Not planning on selling mine, its going straight to the wall. I'm happy that more people will have a chance to grab this uncut and I understand it reaches a broad audience and thus reprints.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:09:11 PM by Ben K »

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
If anyone is still looking for this in the UK or Europe we have a few left and will get some more soon..
http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/the-ultimate-deck
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk