« on: November 29, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey,

So I'm kinda new here. I've been browsing for a little while as I've been designing a deck. It's a lumberjack/woodsmen themed Bicycle deck that's done in line art. I'm going for a simple yet detailed illustrations. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys think. I'm also open to suggestions!

I comp'd up some cards and boxes:

Front of the tuck box in white:

Back of the tuck box:

Ace of Hearts and the backs of the cards:

King of Diamonds, Queen of Spades and Jack of Clubs:

And another option for the tuck box... all red:

The Bicycle logo I used is not the official logo, for placement purposes I used a mockup of their logo. To start things off, I'm not a fan of the swirls on the back of the tuck box. If someone has a better suggestion I'll be willing to try it!

Thanks,
Kleetz

Re: Designing a Deck - Check it out.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I really like this! It's very well designed and has a clean look too it. I'd buy it!

Do you plan on making a kickstarter project for it? Using HOPC? Funding it yourself?

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I LOVE this. My only suggestion is to get the legitamite Bicycle logo. And I think I prefer the red box, but both look really nice.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I really like this! It's very well designed and has a clean look too it. I'd buy it!

Do you plan on making a kickstarter project for it? Using HOPC? Funding it yourself?

Thanks guys!

@Evan: I'm leaning towards a kickstarter as I can't fund this myself, but there are still some kinks I'd really like to iron out before that. Like I said, I'm not crazy anymore about some of the elements on the back of the tuck box (e.g. the swirls) but it looks too empty without them and I'm currently not sure how to tackle that.

@10ofclubs: Bicycle won't send you their logo. I contacted them and the rep said they put the logo on themselves. :/

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Very different! And very nice work, it's great to see such an original theme! I think the red box works a lot better, and I'd agree that the swirls on the back jump out as being out-of-place. Perhaps ditch them and just increase the size of the back design art, filling the space a little more?

Cool stuff, and nice xacto skills on mocking up those cards with the rounded corners. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:48:31 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think that the red box looks a lot better. It just stand out more.

Also, I think that the deck should have thinner borders. Thinner borders appeal to a lot of people, and fans, spreads, etc. look much nicer with thin borders!

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Evan, what do you mean by thinner borders?

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Evan, what do you mean by thinner borders?
The white borders on the back of the cards should be thinner in my opinion.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hmm, that could allow me to make the back illustration a little bigger. I'll try that, thanks!

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 01:19:01 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I'm getting wood just looking at this deck...  ;)

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you go too narrow on the borders, there will be a higher likelihood of registration errors and cards visibly cut off-center.  I love narrow borders, but USPC will place limits on how thin you can go.

I'd leave off the blue humor from the axe handles on the back of the cards.  USPC tries to keep their products at least somewhat family-friendly.

Paul's idea took the words right out of my mouth - make the card back image larger and you can get rid of the goofy swirls.  Alternately, you could make the swirls into vines or tree branches.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks for all the comments guys!

I will enlarge the illustration on the back of the box. I have a feeling that will do the trick. I'll have to agree with @Don Boyer about the borders. USPCC guarantees that nothing will get cut off a 3/16" which is where the artwork begins now. I would love a narrower border but for registration sakes, I'll leave it where it is.

If USPCC says something about the words on the back, I'll remove it. If not, I plan on keeping it. It ties the joker in ;)

I'll upload a new mock up of the back of the box today. Along with some other court cards!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:18:28 AM by Kleetz »

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
There is another border alternative, one I've been thinking about for a while.

You should drop me a line.  I do consulting work like this for beginning deck designers!

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Alrighty! I made the edits to the back of the tuck box. I think this really did it. Let me know what you think! Also uploaded a couple more court card previews and to give y'all a better idea as to what I was going for, all the Kings will be holding saws, all Queens holding wood (haha) and all Jacks holding axes.

Thanks!

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
BRO

this is a sexy hawt deck +1 would bang

K BYE BRO

Forum Founder.

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »

LauR

• Elite Member
Very nice work indeed, how did you make the prototypes? If the logo is not legitimate I assume its not from the USPCC.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Very nice work indeed, how did you make the prototypes? If the logo is not legitimate I assume its not from the USPCC.

Thanks! The template is in fact from USPCC but you are correct about the logo, USPCC will not give you the logo. Once the design is done they add it in themselves... That's what their rep said.

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I like your deck a lot! Can't wait to see more of it :)

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Alrighty! I made the edits to the back of the tuck box. I think this really did it. Let me know what you think! Also uploaded a couple more court card previews and to give y'all a better idea as to what I was going for, all the Kings will be holding saws, all Queens holding wood (haha) and all Jacks holding axes.

Thanks!

The monochrome design of the court cards is interesting, not something you see a lot outside of the spot cards.  I might make the court images a bit bigger - traditional court characters take up a lot of real estate on a card, while yours look a little skinny!  Wait - I know what's missing!  It's the large pips usually placed next to the heads!  That why it seemed so empty.

Negative space can be very useful in design, but for courts, I like the "go big or go home" school of art!  :))

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sorry to keep pushing about the borders, but I just think this deck should have thinner borders. Yes, USPCC likes to keep borders at the standard size, but they have done very well with thin borders on other decks, such as, Tendril, Aurum, Ornate, Seronda, Rebels, and probably more that I can't think of.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
@Evan I'll see what I can do to make them a little thinner. I'll post some new mockup photos on Monday or so. Persistence ;) maybe adding pips like Don suggested will give a narrower feel?

@Don Boyer I will add pips to them and see what that looks like as well. Some maybe tricky though (e.g. jack of hearts and jack of clubs with their axes taking up that space) I will tweak and make some options.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the constructive comments.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:21:44 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

@Don Boyer I will add pips to them and see what that looks like as well. Some maybe tricky though (e.g. jack of hearts and jack of clubs with their axes taking up that space) I will tweak and make some options.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the constructive comments.

Kleetz, I sent you a pm. Another possible solution is to turn the pips into axes.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 11:03:02 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Got it, replied!

Thanks Emmanuel!

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Thanks!

The monochrome design of the court cards is interesting, not something you see a lot outside of the spot cards.  I might make the court images a bit bigger - traditional court characters take up a lot of real estate on a card, while yours look a little skinny!  Wait - I know what's missing!  It's the large pips usually placed next to the heads!  That why it seemed so empty.

Negative space can be very useful in design, but for courts, I like the "go big or go home" school of art!  :))

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I've been doing some tweaking / additions and before I get any further, I wanted to share and see what people think. I've added larger pips to the court cards, here are a few examples (with and without) I didn't print and mock them up this go around, giving you guys pixel previews:

King of Spades - works well here I think:

Introducing the Queen of Hearts! Also think it works well here:

Jack of Spades. This one was tricky, I had to move the axe to the other side otherwise it would be too tight on the right. This will have to be done with a couple other jacks and the king of clubs.

Lastly, I've increased the size of the back by 3% to tighten up the borders:

Let me know what y'all think and if I should go with or without the larger pips.

@Emmanuel Having axes as pips won't work well. Here's why, all of the kings hold saw, queens wood and jacks axes. So I don't think it would make sense. It was a good idea though.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm still working other tweaks. I'll upload a few shots of the pip cards.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:23:53 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I like the extra, larger pips more. They definitely get rid of some of the blank space.

And the slogan on the axe on the right of the back is missing a period.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like the extra, larger pips more. They definitely get rid of some of the blank space.

And the slogan on the axe on the right of the back is missing a period.

I think the period is actually there - it looks "attached" to the bottom right of the "E".  Hey, maybe that's his subtle one-way mark!

Those added pips REALLY flesh out your court cards more.  If you wanted to really go hog wild on the lumberjack theme, you could make the large pips appear to be cut segments of suit-shaped logs, complete with bark on the outer edges, rings in the center, etc.

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks for the replies!

They are starting to grown on me. Don, I like your idea about giving them cut segments, I'll give that a try.

@10ofclubs Yeah, I think it's because those are screenshots so it maybe have gotten lost. But, it's there! Thanks for point that out.

I'll keep the updates coming!

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just out of curiosity, why are you sticking to monochrome faces?  It's understandable for the spot cards, but for the courts, since you're using red and black ink regardless, you could jazz them up a little with red and black on the characters themselves.

Will any of the queens be the "company cook", complete with pancakes and maple syrup?  :))  Or perhaps one of the Jacks!  It's a bit like what Russell did for his Americana deck - three queens were harlot-esque characters while the fourth was a Bible-thumping nun!

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Just out of curiosity, why are you sticking to monochrome faces?  It's understandable for the spot cards, but for the courts, since you're using red and black ink regardless, you could jazz them up a little with red and black on the characters themselves.

Will any of the queens be the "company cook", complete with pancakes and maple syrup?  :))  Or perhaps one of the Jacks!  It's a bit like what Russell did for his Americana deck - three queens were harlot-esque characters while the fourth was a Bible-thumping nun!

Haha, no, no company cook, though that would be pretty funny. The reason why I went with a monochrome design is because in my head plaid shirts are shades of red (I know they have black in them) but that's how they ended up. I also initially designed the spades and clubs to be all blue (sort of a blue and red plaid theme) but my friends were really confused why I used blue instead of the standard black. I did have black with the red initially as well but ended going all red and all black. Not sure if that helps answer you question Don.

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
So I've been thinking and from all the comments I've been getting about the large pips on the court cards and I've decided to go without them. It's a cleaner look, you can reverse fan, etc. Either way, I won't be able to make everyone happy!

Here's a couple images of the pip cards:

@10ofclubs:

Thanks guys!

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 11:18:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So I've been thinking and from all the comments I've been getting about the large pips on the court cards and I've decided to go without them. It's a cleaner look, you can reverse fan, etc. Either way, I won't be able to make everyone happy!

Thanks guys!

Darn.  I liked those pips.

At least the spot cards have bold but clean pips and numbers on them.

Are you going for a sort-of cream background, or white?

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey guys,

So lately I've been taking a closer look at the front of the tuck box and I saw some flaws / inconsistencies with it. I've decided to tweak some things and I feel that this direction makes more sense. Let me know what you think!

Notice the copy underneath "LUMBERJACKS"

I think I've mentioned this earlier, but I've also concluded that I will be doing a Kickstarter. I've been thinking of stretch goals and other variations for another version of the tuck case. Here's an idea I came up with, both tie each other in. Maybe this can be an all red tuck? I want your thoughts!!

I have a feeling that most may say it's too empty (and I agree... like 85%) I'm open to hear some suggestions or ideas. Also, I think I maybe taking this too far??

Thanks,
Kleetz
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:53:50 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I liked the red tuck more originally. But I really like the idea of having a "cut" and "uncut" version. Would the backs be the same?

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
UPDATE!

Sent the design to Bicycle for their approval. They got back to me today and it's approved!

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Excellent news.  Are you hitting Kickstarter with this one or considering running it by HOPC?  Or something completely different?

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
UPDATE!

Sent the design to Bicycle for their approval. They got back to me today and it's approved!

Congrats!
Looks awesome!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Excellent news.  Are you hitting Kickstarter with this one or considering running it by HOPC?  Or something completely different?

Hey Don,

Yep, Kickstarter for this project. Just got done shooting a quick video. Hope to have the kickstarter up this week!

@MrMollusk Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:25:33 PM by Kleetz »

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you guys an update of where I am. I submitted the project for Kickstarter review today. Hope to hear back soon!

Thanks!

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm looking forward to seeing it - you'll keep us posted, I'm sure...  :))

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm looking forward to seeing it - you'll keep us posted, I'm sure...  :))

Sure will! I'm trying to be very involved with everyone. Thanks for all the help!

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey guys,

So good news, Kickstarter approved the project! Here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674054954/bicycle-the-lumberjacks-playing-cards-deck

Thanks for your support to make this a successful project!

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
Hey guys,

So good news, Kickstarter approved the project! Here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674054954/bicycle-the-lumberjacks-playing-cards-deck

Thanks for your support to make this a successful project!

I'm already a backer of the project and has been it since the launch.. I'm very happy to see that the project is as successful as it is :D

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:08 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

I just wanted to say I just saw this and I absolutely love this deck! I love the whole fairy tale snow white story book feel to it! Great job!!! you almost hit your goal for KS!!!

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:42 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
congratulations on being successfully :o funded!!!

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks everyone!

Your support made it happen! There are still 2 days to go until funding closes. If you haven't backed it yet, here's your chance!

Kleetz

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 07:05:53 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Thanks everyone!

Your support made it happen! There are still 2 days to go until funding closes. If you haven't backed it yet, here's your chance!

Kleetz

I probably won't be backing up in KS anytime soon because I've had a lot of trouble with it being in China and the site blocked most of the times. :) The Credit card stuff is jut too much of a hassel. But if someone is going to resell these I would probably buy from them. :)

Congrats!

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks Lara!

Yeah the Chinese firewall is intense!

Kleetz

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »

Vadim Smolenskiy

• Discourse Lover
  • 2nd Edition

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey guys,

There's about 15minutes to go until funding is finished. If you haven't yet backed, this is your last chance to get them through Kickstarter!

Thanks for all of your continued support!
Kleetz

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 02:33:01 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
 :D :D Grats on meeting your goal!!

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Love this design. Has an interesting, vintage-y feel to it. Great work!