Poll

What do you think of the art so far?

Like them more than fat people like flip flops
Great
Good
Mediocre
Bad
Sux
Stage two, launch date, and reward system of my next deck.

Author (Read 7849 times)

Stage two, launch date, and reward system of my next deck.
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:51:21 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hi this is  the second part of my playing card development, if I am breaking any rules by posting this please feel free to delete it. The thing is we are discussing a different part of my deck, and sort of having some sort of launch party ( well not really but we are working on the release date.)

Anything here is up for a little change, please give me your opinions

Rewards
Already released check them out here! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1762124010/ultra-ape-poker-playing-cards

Price of the deck
The price im thinking of is 8$ each, including shipping, international buyers will need to pay 4$ extra.

Release date
The cards are at  a stage in which I think we could personally release them tommorrow, I have the rest of the art, for court cards, which should be done tommorrow. HOwever I want to sort of have a release party and such so I can have a big start on kickstarter, which will get me up in the pages. How about 3/23/12?

Stock and finish etc.
Well for right know I was thinknig of plastic playing carrds from the guys who printed the archduke eaglebacks. But of course you guys can put this up to criticsm. If I am convinced to move to paper then we will use the famous Quantum grain finish on a 315 gsm cardstock.

art poll
Just for fun I wanted to see peoples opinions of the deck so far, at this point Im not going to do a COMPLETE overhaul of the deck ( meaning change EVERYTHING ), but it would be nice to know.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:50:08 AM by ReaganM »

Re: Stage two, launch date, and reward system.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
i would buy this deck you can count me in, when does the kickstarter begin and what stock and finish is your deck going to have .

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
i would buy this deck you can count me in, when does the kickstarter begin and what stock and finish is your deck going to have .

Launch date ( for now ) is 3/23/12. I forgot to mention the cards will probably be plastic, from the printers of archduke eaglebacks but that is up to criticism I guess. If I went and used paper it wuld be a 315gsm cardstock with the famous quantum grain finish.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:05:15 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
If you are going to use Archduke playing cards, why does the deck have to cost so much?

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:22:37 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
If you are going to use Archduke playing cards, why does the deck have to cost so much?
Well its essentially 5$ plus shipping. But the thing is, we are printing 5000 of these things, + 600$ or so for kickstarter/amazon fees, about 1000$ for shipping to customers, and around 5100$ for all the decks. I could go lower on price, but It would need more people demanding a lower price.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:23:28 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
by plastic do you mean like the bicycle prestige or more different then that deck ?

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
by plastic do you mean like the bicycle prestige or more different then that deck ?
He said like the eagle backs but he also said it might change. Make sure you read all the comments above yours before posting as it can answer your questions, sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:56:31 PM by NathanCanadas »

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
hey, Nathan you should probably take your own advice before opening your mouth and stop spamming everywhere i was here befor you and now you have more post than i do so think about what you post from now on . 

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
hey, Nathan you should probably take your own advice before opening your mouth and stop spamming everywhere i was here befor you and now you have more post than i do so think about what you post from now on .
As a matter of fact, I joined about 2 months before you. I make more posts, certainly, but you have been voted constantly as spammiest and most likely to get banned. Also I was not attacking, I was just giving you advice. Let's get back on track and respect this thread.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Unfortunantly, these will not be KEM like bycicle prestige, they will be pvc plastic like all other plastic decks, but the cards will be of high quality and will hopefully match the quality set by KEM ( much like copag did). I trust the guys from archduke, and am sure they will put out some quality plastic cards.

@ nathancanadas : sorry about the confusion I edited my other post, what I meant to say, was platic cards FROM the printers of archduke eaglebacks. However if the cards felt like archdukes I would be very pleased!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:58:39 PM by ReaganM »

Re: Stage two, launch date, and reward system of my next deck.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I voted for the "Good" section of the poll. It definitely doesn't look bad... but it doesn't look amazing. Its a cool looking deck but IMO it's nothing compared t what we've been seeing lately (vortex, tendril, artifice, seasons, etc.)

It just needs some more "umpf" to it. There are plenty of people that will like that design and will go and buy it and love it! But its just not a deck that really interests me.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I voted for the "Good" section of the poll. It definitely doesn't look bad... but it doesn't look amazing. Its a cool looking deck but IMO it's nothing compared t what we've been seeing lately (vortex, tendril, artifice, seasons, etc.)

It just needs some more "umpf" to it. There are plenty of people that will like that design and will go and buy it and love it! But its just not a deck that really interests me.
I feel the same way. I voted for good. I think it a good idea. It has a lot of potential. It's just not a deck I would buy a brick of, if you know what I mean.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

Hopefully the cards will evolve over the course of the project, much like steampunk playing cards did, and they ended up great.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Unfortunantly, these will not be KEM like bycicle prestige, they will be pvc plastic like all other plastic decks, but the cards will be of high quality and will hopefully match the quality set by KEM ( much like copag did). I trust the guys from archduke, and am sure they will put out some quality plastic cards.

@ nathancanadas : sorry about the confusion I edited my other post, what I meant to say, was platic cards FROM the printers of archduke eaglebacks. However if the cards felt like archdukes I would be very pleased!

Bicycle Prestige are actually printed in Spain by Fournier, not in the US by KEM.  Both are divisions of USPC, anyway.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Are you sure you're going to be OK with that red border on the faces? That is *really* close to the edge and I can't imagine the printer will like that very much. I had to push back my face borders a lot from my initial concept because they needed to make sure the cards could be punched out properly.

Something that bothers me that it took me a day of subconscious thinking about was the the gorilla face card is so terribly flat. The card back has shading and detail and the fact that they don't match makes the face look very "blah." You might try working in some more details and lighting so that the faces have the same impact.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hmmm I was thinking of actually changing the monkey on the back and making him look more like the one on the face, something just seems... off about the monkey on the back. I like the simplicity of the face card but again depends on everyone elses opinions.

An idea, that ive tossed around a few times, what If I took the ape heads off? It would make the whole deck look alike because of simplicity I think.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:26:45 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 01:05:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hmmm I was thinking of actually changing the monkey on the back and making him look more like the one on the face, something just seems... off about the monkey on the back. I like the simplicity of the face card but again depends on everyone elses opinions.

An idea, that ive tossed around a few times, what If I took the ape heads off? It would make the whole deck look alike because of simplicity I think.

A few thoughts:

If you remove the monkeys, this deck loses everything that made it distinctive - it would be little different than any other deck used for poker, and thus just as interesting or exciting as a pack of standard Bikes.  Even exceptional paper and finish might not be enough - people can't see paper or finish on a computer monitor, but they can see your designs.

Get rid of the outside frame on the faces.  It serves no purpose and hinders more than it helps.

Your indices are way too small.  If you're going for standard indices only and you want to see your deck in the US, lose the right-corner indices.  They would only appeal to the ~5% of the population that's left-handed.

The flat gorilla art on the faces looks better than the 3D art on the back - stick with the 2D appearance.

I've never before seen a pin-striped fedora that matches one's suit!  If you want a "roaring '20s/speakeasy/gangster" look to your face cards, stick to the standards of that era - fedoras were generally brown, grey, black or (if you wanted to look flashy) white.  Perhaps you could get away with a dark green or a navy, but justify the reason - have the character wearing the same color suit, or shirt at the least.  They'd all have wide hatbands either the same color as the hat or darker - brown and black were the most common.  Some would fancy it up a bit and have a small feather or two stuck in the band's bow.

You know my preference regarding the appearance of the card backs.  But if you're aiming seriously at the poker crowd, a solid color is good.  Just consider something other than black - it makes your artwork look like it's being sucked into a black hole.

While I know you're planning to make two different colors on the back borders, you may want to alter the shade more than just the colors - poker decks are generally distinctively different colors from each other, the most common ones being red, blue, brown or green.  The reason for this is to reduce the chances of a card from one deck accidentally ending up in the other.  Different border colors, in my opinion, aren't enough by themselves.  An example of bad design along these lines would be the COPAG EPOC deck (all black backs, marginally different red and white patterns between them - http://www.pokerchiplounge.com/playing-cards/100-plastic-playing-cards/copag-playing-cards/bridge-size-copag/bridge-size-copag-jumbo-index/copag-bridge-size-jumbo-index-EPOC-black-set-up.html) and the KEM WPT deck (colored in black and grey, making them hard to tell apart from each other - http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-11171180798419_2197_62454253).

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ok I was just presented an offer by rajas paranjpe, about using a new finish he developed, it is expensive though, at close to 3$ each not to mention, I could craete a custom leather case for those who pledge with us. ( Im thinking making it our 50$ teir )
Here is his discription of the finish.

"The faces are are obtained in such a way as if it appears as spot lamination(they are not printed). Even the sides are black.
Yes the cards feel and snap like plastic. They faro with ease and come out of the weave easily.Extremely Sharp edges even after multiple faros.
They spring really well and tend to retain the shape of the cards for longer period than regular paper cards.
This particular finish looks great with black decks. We have developed this finish which adds mico granules on top of paper which one can feel it easily by rubbing finger tips.
They appear to be rough at first glance but people get surprised when they slide at ease.
You can launch a true luxury line of cards with this unique finish.
 There are plenty of brands who are making same quality decks but with different designs or alias finish names."

These are just some excerpts from a pm and I got his permission to use them.

The only problem is though, is that Id have to push the price up 1 or 2$ each deck. These are paper cards btw.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:30:42 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
It sounds promising, I'd be a little concerned about the durability of the ink on the cards though, it makes it seem like the cards are plastic sheets that have the images silk screened onto them.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Nope, they are paper cards, just with extremely good handling and durability close to a plastic card. I am a bit concerned that people wont like the "feel" of the cards, because they are supposed to feel a bit like plastic.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:35:25 PM by ReaganM »

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 02:53:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Nope, they are paper cards, just with extremely good handling and durability close to a plastic card. I am a bit concerned that people wont like the "feel" of the cards, because they are supposed to feel a bit like plastic.

If he can produce a black card with a BLACK EDGE...  Wow.  That would be a game changer for people creating black decks.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
What you guy think about this guy for a joker?

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 04:30:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What you guy think about this guy for a joker?

Looks like he'll be pretty cute.  You can have fun with a joker - go for it.

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 11:06:57 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
From what I can see the joker looks nice. However the contrast between the lines and the white paper make him very hard to see!

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 01:41:02 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ahem what you guys think about this?