You are Here:
Print 5000 Custom Decks and Delivered @ $4600

Author (Read 9122 times)

Print 5000 Custom Decks and Delivered @ $4600
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Hello guys, I was having interesting discussions with Aaron and Don Boyer about printing custom playing cards from us.
Don Boyer said that there could be a lot of people out here who would be interested in getting high quality custom playing cards printed for an affordable price and asked me to post the best deal for the community.
So here is approximate costing for printing 5000 custom playing cards of 2 colors -> :)
Red colored decks: 2500
Blue colored decks: 2500
Total : 5000decks
Size: Poker
Paper:Plastic coated, 320 gsm,Exclusive & Made-To-Order from Germany.
Printed on : Heidelberg SpeedMaster
Finish available: Quantum Grain Finish, UV finish, Ultra Gloss and Matte finish.
Shipping and Handling Charges are all inclusive for USA only.
Custom duty/charges are also included for USA only.
Delivery time(USA only): India to NewYork 3 business days. NewYork to rest of USA 2 business days by FedEx/DHL.

Delivery Time(Non-USA):7 days
Delivery Cost(Non-USA): As actual

::Additional Costs(if required)::
Cellophane wrapping for 5000decks: $30
2 Color Dozen box printing: $400

::Payment Mode::
PayPal
Bank Wire
EBay(in process)
Any more info feel free to communicate.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Rajas P.
Owner ,
Archduke Playing Cards
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards
Manufacturer of highest quality customized playing cards in paper and plastic.
Experts in making custom playing cards for magicians, cardistry, card games and poker.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

Re: Print 5000 Custom Decks and Delivered @ $4600
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Sounds great... my only problem is the plastic coating  :-*
I'm not a fan of plastic coated decks at all and I'm not familiar with any of those finishes....
Is it possible to print it at the USPCC?

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
No ofense, but I still need to say SORRY first.
It is really difficult for me to be proud to tell my fellow collectors : "look, these decks are made in India..." :-\
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:11:57 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I'm not a fan of plastic coated decks at all and I'm not familiar with any of those finishes....

The whole point is that he offers an alternative to USPCC. If he was to print through them it would most likely be more expensive because you would be adding a middle man.

I think this is very interesting! I like the idea of having a good alternative to USPCC. It's obviously a very different and strange brand to most people but I think over time you could do some big things! Best of luck to you! I hope to hear more soon.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Probably the most critical thing for a lot of us designers is if you can do full 4-color printing, so that we can do truly full color art. Also, would you have the capability to do spot colors so we can work in metallics? I know that being forced into 2 color only would be a limiting factor in many designs.

Would it be possible to get a sample deck of some kind so that us designers could compare a real deck in hand to see the handling/finish/etc? I am aiming all of my cards very squarely at flourishers and magicians as well as collectors so having cards that handle well is imperative.

I'd be curious to see what your products are like. The price is certainly right!
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Thanks brown_baggs .
Building a brand takes a lot of time, even years and years of hardwork.
I started this company after all I had to go through while printing my first decks. Its for those who want quality, new decks and at highly competitive price so that they have sufficient breathing space for retail/wholesale.
I am still 22,extremely passionate about playing cards and card magic.
I dont want to make quick money but want to evolve my company and stay in this business as long as I can.

Only what we can guarantee right now is  fast delivery of high quality work, at best price with minimum/no hassle !
Rajas .
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards
Experts in making custom playing cards for magicians, cardistry, card games and poker.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

You must be familiar with the Archduke Eaglebacks?  This man's firm is the printer.  The cards have excellent handling, comparable to Moth/Myth and The Watcher.  You could say all decks are "plastic coated" if you get right down to it, unless they're printed on plain paper and have no additional finish.

It is really difficult for me to be proud to tell my fellow collectors : "look, these decks are made in India..." :-\

Actually, if you told them you deck was made by Archduke Cards, they'd take a second look.  The Eaglebacks are really good cards - high quality on German-made paper and cheaper than USPC without making sacrifices.  My Eaglebacks are among my favorite cards.

The whole point is that he offers an alternative to USPCC. If he was to print through them it would most likely be more expensive because you would be adding a middle man.

I think this is very interesting! I like the idea of having a good alternative to USPCC. It's obviously a very different and strange brand to most people but I think over time you could do some big things! Best of luck to you! I hope to hear more soon.

Open a pack of Eaglebacks and you'll know at what quality he produces cards.  The idea of a GOOD QUALITY ALTERNATIVE to USPC is totally what the custom deck market needs right now.

Probably the most critical thing for a lot of us designers is if you can do full 4-color printing, so that we can do truly full color art. Also, would you have the capability to do spot colors so we can work in metallics? I know that being forced into 2 color only would be a limiting factor in many designs.

Would it be possible to get a sample deck of some kind so that us designers could compare a real deck in hand to see the handling/finish/etc? I am aiming all of my cards very squarely at flourishers and magicians as well as collectors so having cards that handle well is imperative.

I'd be curious to see what your products are like. The price is certainly right!

You won't have trouble with card quality - as I've stated over and over above!

Rajas, I can imagine there's a few things that some custom card designers will need to know.

- Can you produce a full 4-color print job?
- Can you create custom faces as well as custom backs, and at what charge?
- Can you provide special features like spot coloring and metallic inks, and again, at what charge?
- Do you have other stocks and finishes available?  What are they like?  Some designers want a certain feel to the cards.

Paul Carpenter (Xmetal) is the man behind Encarded, and his premiere deck, Tendril, is currently in Kickstarter with well over 100% funding.  Right now, he's printing with USPC, but for future decks, he and other actual card designers here would LOVE to have a viable alternative to USPC.  They can make great cards, but they're also difficult for many to work with.

Here's a sample of the type of machine he stated above that he's using for the print work - a Heidelberg Speedmaster.
http://www.heidelberg.com/h/www/en/content/products/sheetfed_offset/70x100/speedmaster_sm_102,features

I get the feeling that four-color work won't be an issue.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:26:25 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I've got the Jill deck; German made.  I LOVE the stock on this deck but the finish... well, it's certainly not for everyone (doesn't spread or fan).  I'll see if I can pick up some Eaglebacks, they sound interesting.   

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Don vouching for the quality means a lot. :) If cards can be done 4 color, and the stock is quality and handling is good, I'd certainly be interested in exploring the options. My current deck is set with USPCC but I have no contract requirements for the next one. I will need 4-color, spot color and pretty strong detail though.

Rajas, would it be possible to get a few sample decks of your finishes? Handling is a priority but I'm quite intrigued and if we have options beyond the "standard" I'd love to explore them.
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Rajas, I'd love to consider printing with you. Here is what I need:

Samples of all the finishes and papers you offer.
4-color CMYK printing
Samples of tuck cases you provide (I love the Archduke Eagleback cards, but I hated the tuck cases).
Samples of deck seals you can produce.

That's about it! :)
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
wow, that would be great!
Did I just get upgraded to discourse v2?

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
wow, that would be great!
Did I just get upgraded to discourse v2?

Nathan, are you sure you're posting in the right forum?  That's kind of an "out of left field" statement...

Guys - at least those of you planning on printing decks - this could be the answer to some if not all of your prayers regarding getting an alternative to USPC.  The quantum grain finish on the Eaglebacks is really an amazing thing to see in action, and the Heidelberg press looks like it could handle more complex print jobs than a simple two-color deck.

I'm going to be quiet now while Rajas and the deck creators talk business...  :))  Don't mind me, I'm just sitting in the corner...  Pretend I'm not here...

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 03:16:04 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
The Eagle Backs are great, but the finish is a tad weird for me. It feels almost powdered or "soaped." The stock thickness makes a lot of flourishing almost impossible as well.

I'd love to see a sample of a thinner stock with various finishes though. Of course, four color printing is a must.

I have nothing keeping me at USPCC except that they already have a custom deck department set up.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:38 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Another question I would like to add would be the matter of international business. The members here are not 100% in the United States so I would like to take the initiative in throwing in a couple of questions.
Since you already answered my question of being able to ship internationally in our email conversation, another thing I would like to know is if it will be possible to send the products directly from India or does it have to pass through New York?
Since India is closer to the Philippines, I figured it may result in faster and more affordable costs for both of us.
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 04:15:14 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Hey, I'd be very interested as well! I'll be waiting for the information others have asked for already.
Finally a reasonable alternative. ;D
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 04:20:40 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Another question I would like to add would be the matter of international business. The members here are not 100% in the United States so I would like to take the initiative in throwing in a couple of questions.
Since you already answered my question of being able to ship internationally in our email conversation, another thing I would like to know is if it will be possible to send the products directly from India or does it have to pass through New York?
Since India is closer to the Philippines, I figured it may result in faster and more affordable costs for both of us.
since he ask .. i am wondering can you ship to singapore ?? since it is quite near to singapore

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 05:47:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
since he ask .. i am wondering can you ship to singapore ?? since it is quite near to singapore

I didn't know you were working on your own deck design!  Please, tell us about it.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:40 AM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
One word WOW! I am just coming home from factory and get to see so many replies and questions.
Thanks Don Boyer again for such encouraging comments. It definitely means a lot to us.
I will try to answer the all queries in this post.

Minimum quantity: 5000

4 color printing: YES

Custom back and Custom Faces: YES (NO extra charge)

Metallic Ink: YES

Paper Stock: 300gsm, 315gsm, 320 gsm (Exclusive, Germany)

100% Plastic Stock: YES

Embossed Tuck Case: YES

Tuck Case Types: U-Shape (standard bicycle), Cigarette Box, Custom Box

Display Boxes :
YES

Worldwide shipping : YES. Cards will be sent from INDIA only(no middlemen).
Shipping charges are as actual which means we charge the same amount that our shipping company takes from us. Generally, due to lot of international transactions taking place between USA and INDIA, rates are comparatively low. Our logistic relationships are extremely strong which means we get the best market rate for other countries as well.

Customer Privacy Policy: We do not sell/send the decks/artwork for which you don't have rights. We do not even sell the SECONDS to those who do not have the rights.

Shipping Partners: DHL/FedEx/DTDC

Shipping Modes: door to door(costliest), port to port(cheaper), sea(can be cheapest for orders over 1000kg)

Delivery Schedule: within 3 weeks from approval of digital proofs and receipt of advance payment. We have record of 15 days of completing the entire process.

Hope this helps. Quote follows in next post.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:04:49 AM by Rajas Paranjpe »
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Approximate Quotations as requested
Shipping as actuals.

Job 1:
         5000 Decks of Custom Poker Sized Sized (3.5" x 2.50") playing cards with 315 gsm black centered board inserted in a printed  in 4 color + 1 metallic color with the carton being printed in 4 color foiled and embossed.

Cost 1:    Rs56.80/- or $1.2 Per deck.

Job 2:
         5000 Decks of Custom Poker Sized (3.5" x 2.50") playing cards with 315 gsm black centered board 4c + 4c  inserted in a  2 color printed captive tuck box

Cost 2:   Rs33.68/-  or $0.69 Per deck.

Art Works: All you have to do is submit an artwork in any digital format either Mac or PC. There are no set up charges except if the artworks have to be worked on extensively.This rate is exclusive only to the members of aethercards.com
Any queries feel free to ask
Best Regards,

Rajas P.
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Rajas.... I'm really excited to see more feedback on your printing co. I think it's really awesome to finally have an alternative printers other than uspcc... I mean no offense to the wonder people of bikes but they are a tad bit pricey.

I will stay tuned to this forum to get updates and feedbacks. In the meantime.. I will be hard at work.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Depending on how the cards handle, we could print the Discourse deck, if it ever happens to be completed, through your printing company. Also, decks like the Steampunk deck in my signature would have been so much better if only they had been printed through your company!

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Depending on how the cards handle, we could print the Discourse deck, if it ever happens to be completed, through your printing company. Also, decks like the Steampunk deck in my signature would have been so much better if only they had been printed through your company!
I was thinking the same thing! The discourse deck could have a much lower goal if we printed through Rajas. But you have to get 5000 decks here Alex had said he could get us a lower run at USPCC.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Okay. You got me. I'm interested. Let me play around with the Archdukes first though plus my designs aren't exactly what you would call finished yet anyway. I'll send you an email once I'm ready.

I didn't know you were working on your own deck design!  Please, tell us about it.
In due time my friend, in due time...  ;)

Rajas.... I'm really excited to see more feedback on your printing co. I think it's really awesome to finally have an alternative printers other than uspcc... I mean no offense to the wonder people of bikes but they are a tad bit pricey.

I will stay tuned to this forum to get updates and feedbacks. In the meantime.. I will be hard at work.

Wha!? Not purple!? WHO ARE YOU!!!..... Jk  :P
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
I'm sorry i did not post in purple :( I was in a hurry and i manually type the [ color = purple ] tags and what nots here. So yeah on the ipad it is kinda tedious. (you are right @moon.exe)
Anyway, @kensei777 please do update me with anything in regards to this matter okay? Thanks!

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Rajas,

As Alex said, if I can get/buy a sample deck for each stock/finish so that I can see how the handling and feel is, I'd strongly consider using you if the quality is there. Design doesn't matter to me, I just want to see how your printed detail is and if the cards work well for cardistry.

My current deck design is going USPCC (http://kck.st/xPNhv7) but I am open to any alternatives if I can achieve the look and feel I want.

Also, I know that you have 5000 minimum in the quotes you've given us here, but what is the true minimum you could print (though I'd assume all per deck costs would be higher)? My thought there is what if I wanted to try a truly crazy design idea, or do something super limited? I'd be curious if that would be possible.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
So yeah on the ipad it is kinda tedious. (you are right @moon.exe)
Anyway, @kensei777 please do update me with anything in regards to this matter okay? Thanks!
Am I not always? :P

As everyone else has mentioned, samples would be really nice to have. I plan on buying a few eagle backs already, but we would still need samples to get a feel of the other stocks you offer.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I thought of this: if we end up completing the Discourse deck, seeing as I highly doubt we would be able to fund it with USPCC stock and finish, we could manufacture the cards in your factory, if your stocks finishes seem good enough to us!

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I thought of this: if we end up completing the Discourse deck, seeing as I highly doubt we would be able to fund it with USPCC stock and finish, we could manufacture the cards in your factory, if your stocks finishes seem good enough to us!

Didn't you post that already earlier? It's not a bad idea though. It depends on how much people like the stocks and finishes he has to offer though.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Didn't you post that already earlier? It's not a bad idea though. It depends on how much people like the stocks and finishes he has to offer though.
I did? I don't remember that. Of course, it depends on the stocks and finishes but many people said they liked the way his eaglebacks handled, so, ya.

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 02:15:08 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Rajas,
I was wondering something, my COPAG manufacturer has some problems printing ink consistantly on plastic cards when they have a solid color border. They are COPAG USA so they should be top of the line. Here is an image that shows the inconsistancy in prints. Would this be an issue If I were to print with you? Can you send me or tell me the rates of your plastic cards? Also here is a link to my deck http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1751.0 there you will see my deck so you can know how many colors to expect, there will be 2 decks one black and one brown.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:17:04 AM by ReaganM »

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm one of the people who don't buy decks if they are not USPCC.
Except some few famous decks.
If anyone is making playing cards for this community, I suggest you to go on USPCC.
The number of people who will buy your decks will be much more than non USPCC decks.

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 09:21:20 AM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Rajas,

I think you are going to do well. You seem to already have better service than USPC. I'm impressed with your pricing. Best of luck and you hear from me in time.
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Rajas,

I think you are going to do well. You seem to already have better service than USPC. I'm impressed with your pricing. Best of luck and you hear from me in time.
Ooh... Does that mean you are designing a deck?  ::)

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
Thanks a lot guys will be making STEMPUNK playing cards for ReaganM !
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I saw that update on his kickstarter. Can't wait to see how they will end up!

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Congratulations! I hope they turn out great. Is this the first print there?

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Congratulations! I hope they turn out great. Is this the first print there?

First print there?  They've done playing cards before - the Eaglebacks are one example that managed to spread further than India.  If you mean first print from a Discourse member, I believe that's a yes.

That also means that we'll probably be seeing that deck in under three months (maybe even a lot under), counting shipping time to the US.

Website launched.
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2012, 10:17:25 AM »

Rajas Paranjpe

• True Member

• Facebook:
So here it is, the website is launched but is still in beta stage.
You can still ask for quotations and browse through the pages.

http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com/
Owner,
Brahma Playing Cards

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »

saurabh

• True Member
  • I love heavy metal music.

• Twitter:
Rajas,

You know me from IC right? Nothing but respect for you. Well done on the company so far.

I myself am a resident of India. So Eagle Backs are easily available to me. The deck had its flaws, but its the single best (ever) non USPCC deck I've ever used. Its beats all the others out there, trust me on this one. So I can more than vouch for quality.

And on this topic, the website looks better than the USPCC site. Haha...
So hoping this co. gets on firm ground.

@digipunk Somewhere in this thread you posted something about Indian Decks not being collectors' items. I am deeply offended by that statement. Any deck isn't collectible by virtue of its manufacturer, but by its own availability and uniqueness. So imo the Eagle backs are much more collectible than any no. of variations on a rider back which many of you deem 'rare'. To me, buying such stuff is just falling prey to marketing skills. Mind you Rajas has never ever tried to 'market' or exaggerate his product as other companies do. And I respect him and his work.
That being said, I have no intention of sparking an argument and you are entitled to your opinions.
Mentalist, Sleight of Hand Artist, Amateur Flourisher.

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Speaking as a programmer (admittedly with very little experience in web design) and as a long-time internet user, that site is one of the best designed and laid out websites I've ever seen and your delivery model, tracking etc. and the software behind it really look great.  Don't know if you did it personally but IMO somebody has done a fantastic job with that site.  Very best of luck with it!

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
Dredging up an old topic, I know, but - seriously?  A Heidelberg press is a Heidelberg press whether it's sitting in India, Taipei or Erlanger.  Now, I have to agree with the other comment that a 2-color deck just doesn't cut it any more, we're looking at 10- or 12-color process right now with Chromografix, and have permission from CartaMundi to do a restoration of the Dondorf #1000 "Hundertjahrkarte" in German or "Centennial") deck that broke the company.  They have been reprinted before - with different backs that are very simple as opposed to the original 28 stone (essentially what we call 'plates' these days) having 16-color faces and 12-color backs.  The addition of metallic gold inks actually might make a truly stunning deck!  Restoration is a pains-taking process, but after a few months we should have something to show for it.  You can't just take 1000dpi scans and print the darned things, heck - 50,000,000 dpi just won't work.  It's like taking an UHD TV and showing a VHS movie.  But, that's where we are starting.  The last original deck of Dondorf #1000 I saw sold (last month on ebay.com) went for $1699.  Those reprints I mentioned were done in the 60's (I think) by Waddington's in London called "Royal Gothic" and then A.S.S. (not even going to try today, I'm a bit weary) in 1975, but both as I said have a very simplistic 4-color (CMYK) process red or blue back.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2014, 01:18:49 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Dredging up an old topic, I know, but - seriously?  A Heidelberg press is a Heidelberg press whether it's sitting in India, Taipei or Erlanger.

Exactly my reaction. Heh, quite an old thread you managed to dig up and I have no idea how that's viewed here, but I for one enjoy digging up old threads if I have something to add.

(I did however cut your post short in my quote as you see. The rest really didn't fit in in this thread. Not the first time you hear that though, I believe. ;) )

Rajas, any possibility you could provide us with updated info and prices?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:21:27 PM by Marcus »
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2014, 09:27:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Rajas was last active almost 23 months ago.

I believed we stopped hearing from him because of the various problems with the McClennan deck "Steampunk Playing Cards".  There were so many issues with the prints that he had to reprint it SIX times - turned into a big money-loser for him, and the end result deck looked like mud and didn't handle well.  To be far, I think it was also in part due to how dark the original art was as well - some people were really big on the artwork, but there's was so little contrast in it from color to color the details of the artwork were completely lost.

Regardless, his company, Brahma Playing Cards, became very closely associated with that deck and its terrible execution.  We stopped hearing from him and people stopped asking about him.

Mike, Marcus was right - the first two sentences were the ONLY things that connected to this topic.  The rest belongs in Design & Development and has absolutely nothing to do with this.  I'm prone to tangents as well, but this is a big one.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:29:36 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »

publius

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • "Fortune favors the brave" - Publius Terence
Whoa. That was an interesting ride. I read the whole thread - seeing an up and coming rockstar in the making with everyone singing his praises and wanting to get their deck to him for printing; two years go by, and a complete reversal of fortune. That really sucks for him. Them Heidelbergs don't come cheap...
Graphic Designer; Playing Card Addict; soon to mix the two...

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2014, 02:18:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Whoa. That was an interesting ride. I read the whole thread - seeing an up and coming rockstar in the making with everyone singing his praises and wanting to get their deck to him for printing; two years go by, and a complete reversal of fortune. That really sucks for him. Them Heidelbergs don't come cheap...

I'm sure he's still doing just fine, just not as much in the US market.  I received some samples of his work.  There's a semi-popular game called Red Shirts (it's a parody of Star Trek) that he printed the cards for.  He also created that really expensive all-black plastic deck for Alexander Wang.  Among the samples were a couple of stripper decks, as well.  He's had a number of clients out of the country as well as in it, but most are from the Australasia region of the globe.  To my knowledge, none of his decks were produced for the US market.  He is capable of producing a good deck as well - his company was previously known as Archduke Playing Cards, and the Archduke Eagle Backs managed to make their way into the US and were very well received.  They're similar to - but not exactly like - the v1 Legends, though the Legends had superior art and reproduction and an edge in handling.  As they came out a good while before the Legends, they were looked at as being the next big thing - until it all just fizzled out in the end.