You are Here:
My deck design

Author (Read 1358 times)

My deck design
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »

STEALTHHUNTER88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
I got an invite to show my back design. Here it is!

It's supposed to look like a dark vortex surrounding the normal Bee back. At first, I couldn't come up with a back design. Now, I can't draw. I'm very... symmetrical? I only produce my best with a ruler. So, that kind of limits me. So...! Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:15:07 PM by Curt »

Re: My deck design
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I moved you post into its own thread just to keep everything organized. As for the deck design, I would suggest that, if you do not want to practice or attempt to draw without a ruler, you play around with shading and see how you can effect the back design that way. Maybe play around with some colour, or if you are adept with programs like photoshop or illustrator that you see what you can come up with in those.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »

STEALTHHUNTER88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Why thank you. :)

I don't have photoshop, and don't have the slightest idea on how to shade. :(

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Really liking that back design!! Like Curt said, try working with some colors and some shading, but so far it looks awesome. I've always been a fan of those linear almost mathematical designs!

Do you have anything else in mind for the deck?
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »

STEALTHHUNTER88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thank you! Well... not really. I don't know how to draw custom court cards and jokers.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I have an idea for you to draw custom court cards if you decide to go ahead and put a lot of effort into a deck design. Since you would like to use a ruler for all your illustrations, then simple do that. Be create, have patience and try to create court cards only drawn in straight lines. I mean, they most likely will not be as symmetrical as the back design you have going but I think it would look pretty cool if done well.

I highly doubt this deck design will be completed very quickly, and it will take a lot of effort on your part to learn the basics of art, as well as graphic design if you do indeed turn to using photoshop or illustrator. Take the advice given to you and be creative with it to create something that you are proud of, that's if you really are interested in producing a deck.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »

STEALTHHUNTER88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Hmm... you're right. Really, I wanted to help supply the back design, because that's basically all I can do for now.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:24:14 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
I really love the back designs, they look really mesmerising (Might be because of the 'circles'  :P )
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
If you intend to turn this into a complete deck, at some point you will have to learn some of the software like Photoshop. There's really no way around that, it's just a fact of the design process these days. I'll say that designing a complete deck is HARD. Even being fully versed in the software, it's a lot of work and takes some real dedication.

I think that if you have the interest, you would be well-served in getting yourself a trial version of photoshop, or perhaps a free image editor like GIMP and spending some time learning the basics. Experiment and try things and over time you'll learn what works and what doesn't for you personally.

Having the eye of a designer takes time, so study decks that you like, look at details, and explore things beyond just cards. Get yourself some design books or magazines and eventually you will train your brain to start to recognize positive aspects of design and it won't be as mysterious. :)

Keep at it!
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
i love the basic idea of the back design! if you shade it right you can get a really nice perspective on depth and it has this nice effect of sucking one's line of sight into the design ^_^. Don't worry I dunno photoshop. THere is a simple version you can try to use online which I am using right now for the Discourse deck. http://pixlr.com/editor  its nice and simple. Kinda like photoshop minus all the really complicated stuff. but yeah photoshop or illustrator would be the best though. You can try Gimp too! i know some people who use that editor.

Best of luck![/color

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »

STEALTHHUNTER88

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thank you. I really would like to be in like a partnership, or something. I couldn't do the whole thing by myself. If we could do like a "group deck"... :) I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
We do have a group project ongoing right now.
here is the link

http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1595.0

and there is a link on my signature to the blog post on all the artwork. PM me if you need the password

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thank you. I really would like to be in like a partnership, or something. I couldn't do the whole thing by myself. If we could do like a "group deck"... :) I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud.

We do have a group project ongoing right now.
here is the link

http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1595.0

and there is a link on my signature to the blog post on all the artwork. PM me if you need the password

But we already have a pretty solid back design now.  Only thing open would be some of the face designs on spot cards, I think.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That back design looks great! I love the "depth" of it. And the idea behind it is cool too.
I can't wait to see what you come up with for the rest of this deck.