You are Here:
who likes these ideas for my card website ?

Author (Read 1343 times)

who likes these ideas for my card website ?
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:03 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
1. when you place an order you could recieve an extra deck a v6 a black crown and so on at random

2 raffles same as d and d ticket with you order you could win rare decks v3 tungstene so on

3 buy a raffle ticket and you could win a rare deck

4 order rewards as you reach diffrent numbers of how many times you have ordred from me youll be sent a free deck to thank you  for shopping with me

5 a request a deck e mail if you really cant afford a new release we may pick an e mail and send one lucky person a deck out 

ill leave you all with these 5 ideas for now please let me know how you like them if they would sway you towards me and just your thoughts on them thank you
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:34:41 AM by zaganh »

Re: who likes these ideas for my card website ?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:16:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
1. when you place an order you could recieve an extra deck a v6 a black crown and so on at random

2 raffles same as d and d ticket with you order you could win rare decks v3 tungstene so on

3 buy a raffle ticket and you could win a rare deck

4 order rewards as you reach diffrent numbers of how many times you have ordred from me youll be sent a free deck to thank you  for shopping with me

5 a request a deck e mail if you really cant afford a new release we may pick an e mail and send one lucky person a deck out 

ill leave you all with these 5 ideas for now please let me know how you like them if they would sway you towards me and just your thoughts on them thank you

Idea #1 is great.  Total random chance, gives people a reason to shop with you.  If you can combine that with cheap shipping, you may even get people breaking up larger orders into a bunch of smaller ones to increase their chances!

Idea #2 is nice, but make the prize something bigger - you're already giving out random decks in idea #1.  A Variety Box, some magic/cardistry DVDs, a pass to a local magic/cardistry lecture or convention...  You want BIG prizes for raffles.

Idea #3 is BAD.  Suddenly it becomes the Golden Rule - he who has the gold, makes the rules.  Your less-wealthy clientele will feel gypped because the richer ones could purchase raffles like they're going out of style.  A better idea - when holding raffles, let some buyers get a BONUS ticket or two, meaning they have a random chance of having their odds bumped up!  It levels the playing field between the rich buyers and the average punters.

Idea #4 is already in use by a New York magic shop, Tannen's.  Doing it by the order is a bit more democratic than the Ellusionist version, which is the more spent in a single order, the better the prize.

Idea #5 could work a little better like this: a new deck is coming out.  Before it arrives, allow anyone interested to fill out an online form and get an email entry into a random drawing.  You could take a brick and divide it thusly: Third Prize - a deck, Second Prize - two decks, First Prize - three decks, Grand Prize - a half-brick.  Or just give out a half-brick.  But have it as a random sweepstakes sort of thing, rather than soliciting emails from poor collectors wanting a free deck.  I suggest a bigger giveaway for this because, as already stated, you're already giving out single decks with randomly selected orders.

Now, I don't know how the rules are for this in the UK, but in the US, for contests where the prize has a predictable set of odds for winning, you generally are required to post the chances of winning any given prize in the contest.  It may not be mandatory there, but it's good policy to do so.  For example:

For idea #1, you could say you have a 6:1 chance of receiving a "common" deck (market value under $10), a 24:1 chance of an "uncommon" deck (value $10-$30), a 72:1 chance of receiving a "rare" deck (value $30-$100) and a 300:1 chance of receiving an "ultra-rare" deck (value over $100).  Provide a list of what decks are being given away at any given time, keep records of which orders received which prizes in the event you have a contest audited because someone wants to cry sour grapes and sue you for not winning despite spending an ungodly sum - that has happened more than once in the States with people shelling out thousands of dollars in lottery tickets who don't win a single prize, or nothing worth even close to what they spent.

For idea #2, set a maximum number of tickets issued, so the odds are a known quantity, and offer a second-chance drawing for prize that remain unclaimed after two fortnights or some other reasonable wait time.

For #4, give a list of what decks are being given out.  One possible way to do this is to say that ten purchases gets you a common deck, twenty gets you an uncommon, then every ten thereafter alternates between a common deck and an uncommon deck.

For #5, you have no way of knowing how many entrants there will be, so you have to post the odds after the entry period is over, and this can be either before or after the drawing.

I would not recommend implementing more than TWO of these ideas when you first open up.  Start with just one, in fact - the customer loyalty idea is the best to kick off with.  Throw too many ideas out there at once and your customers will simply get confused, plus you have no idea what the economics of any of these giveaway models will be like until after you've been in operation a little while.  You may find that it's simply impractical to give away so much stuff, and it would be a shame to have to scale back after offering so much when the doors first open up.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:34:46 AM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I agree with Good@Sabacc - idea 3 is bad, but the others all sound really nice. And, to be honest, I agree with everything else that he said, too! ;)

But, I do have some suggestions about your site, and what you could do to make me choose your site over a different UK reseller, or the company's website. I know this is an obvious one, but one thing I would want to see is competitive prices. For instance, cards4magic is one of the cheapest UK playing card shop sites that I have found, yet it is selling Fulton's (which are less than $7 on the D&D site) for the equivalent of about $11. Once you've factored in that they are probably getting a nice discount for resellers from D&D, they could potentially be making a 100% profit on each deck sold. Now, I know that you do need to factor in the shipping costs from the USA, but I think there's a good chance that you'd be able to have more competitive prices, while still making a nice profit.
But to be honest, the main thing that I'd want to see is discounted shipping, and possibly even something like free shipping for orders over £X. I've seen that on a UK site before, and it immediately makes me want to pick some decks up from that site. Shipping from the USA is so expensive when it comes to just a couple of decks, that the chance to be able to spend your money just on decks, and not have to spend some of it on the shipping, is really great.
Of course, I don't expect you to have decks for sale at the same price that D&D/Ellusionist/theory11 have them for, as I understand that the shipping for large quantities of decks would cost quite a bit. What I would want to see is the ability to get the decks plus shipping less than or equal to the decks plus shipping from a US site. And the prospect of free decks would make me even more likely to choose you over the D&D/Ellusionist/theory11/what-have-you website.
I'm not sure if I've explained myself very well - I've just got back from a two and a half hour History exam, and my words seem to be making less and less sense. But I hoped I've outlined the main points well.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:10 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I agree with what @Sabacc said. I wouldn't do too many at first. If you did all 5 I would be way to overwhelmed. With the right amount and explaining it to customers it would be a hit!! It sounds like you're on the right track though, I've only heard good things and that makes me excited to see the store go live  :)

I like idea #4 the best. It is almost like a punch card. If I had 4 orders with you and my fifth order let me pick one free deck from a list of five then I would be more inclined to order from you over somebody else. It doesn't mean I need to order a huge amount like at E or T11 it could just be half a brick of the new deck or something. I think that will keep people coming back to you.

Does that idea make sense? haha
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I agree with what @Sabacc said. I wouldn't do too many at first. If you did all 5 I would be way to overwhelmed. With the right amount and explaining it to customers it would be a hit!! It sounds like you're on the right track though, I've only heard good things and that makes me excited to see the store go live  :)

I like idea #4 the best. It is almost like a punch card. If I had 4 orders with you and my fifth order let me pick one free deck from a list of five then I would be more inclined to order from you over somebody else. It doesn't mean I need to order a huge amount like at E or T11 it could just be half a brick of the new deck or something. I think that will keep people coming back to you.

Even better - unlike at E, you could stretch out your purchases over multiple sales instead of having to save for one big blowout to get the good prizes.  The "punchcard" plan encourages customers to come back more often, even for just little purchases.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:51:27 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Even better - unlike at E, you could stretch out your purchases over multiple sales instead of having to save for one big blowout to get the good prizes.  The "punchcard" plan encourages customers to come back more often, even for just little purchases.

That's my idea in a couple sentences. haha Hopefully you got the idea of what I was trying to say
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:07:47 AM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Sounds good in theory. But if you don't have an initial following, why is someone going to visit your site? How long is this sustainable before it gets old and people move on?

Do it. Make a site and get some answers. Get feedback. Revise. Keep on doing it until you prove everyone wrong and change the entire face of the card market. I'd follow you.

But until you do, your idea is just that, an idea - sure to be lost in these forums years later. Don't let that happen.
-Chin
SEASONS Playing Cards - Changing Design

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:03:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Sounds good in theory. But if you don't have an initial following, why is someone going to visit your site? How long is this sustainable before it gets old and people move on?

Do it. Make a site and get some answers. Get feedback. Revise. Keep on doing it until you prove everyone wrong and change the entire face of the card market. I'd follow you.

But until you do, your idea is just that, an idea - sure to be lost in these forums years later. Don't let that happen.
-Chin

You probably missed it in his other topics, but he does have solid-sounding plans to open an online retail store based in the UK.  His idea is to be price-competitive, have the best selection available soon after release and offer the least-expensive shipping possible.  He seems to be generating enough word of mouth around here to insure he'll at least get off the ground, even from buyers outside the EU.

@zaganh - Don't forget as well, you need to keep some of your "arsenal" of sales tactics in reserve, to use as sales boosters during more traditionally slack times or for Christmas holiday specials.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:03:55 AM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
it sounds cool i think a lot of people well like it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:25:24 PM by chdmagicdude »