You are Here:

Poll

What is your opinion regarding the extra card w/credits?

Regular backs on both, credits on one in small print, AC ad on the other.
Credits on both sides of one in medium-sized print, AC ad on the other with regular back.
Credits on three sides in regular print, AC ad on the fourth.
I really couldn't give a flying fig and have no opinion - do what thou wilst.
I want something different, and I'll describe it in a post below...
Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)

Author (Read 137097 times)

Re: Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)
« Reply #475 on: February 07, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
@loldude: I love the indices! Do you want me to digitize them? or can you do that yourself?

Also, where are the pips?  ???

OOPS! http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/loldudex2/?action=view&current=IndicePips.jpg

And yes, could you please digitize them. I'm not too happy with the "A" and the "K" though. Also, does the spade look too much like the Artifice AoS. I just realized that, or is it no big deal?
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #476 on: February 07, 2012, 10:50:50 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I love them! When I digitize them i'll play with the dimensions a little bit, but I like the spade. It's similar but it won't be the AoS card itself, just the small pip. I like it  :-*
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #477 on: February 07, 2012, 10:52:13 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Cool. I can't wait to see them.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #478 on: February 07, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Quick question - Do you want them to be the outlines? Or can I fill them in? Because they look great now but It might be iffy when you shrink them to the corners, the outline may be too thin or look off.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #479 on: February 07, 2012, 10:57:35 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
@loldude: I love the indices! Do you want me to digitize them? or can you do that yourself?

Also, where are the pips?  ???

OOPS! http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/loldudex2/?action=view&current=IndicePips.jpg

And yes, could you please digitize them. I'm not too happy with the "A" and the "K" though. Also, does the spade look too much like the Artifice AoS. I just realized that, or is it no big deal?
Those are so awesome! I really like them. And yes, I think the spade resembles the artifice AoS a little too much.

« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2012, 11:13:40 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Quick question - Do you want them to be the outlines? Or can I fill them in? Because they look great now but It might be iffy when you shrink them to the corners, the outline may be too thin or look off.

Do whatever looks best. I think it would look nice if you were to fill them in.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #481 on: February 07, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
I love the pips! Great job! I really love them! great work! I'm on the tiny chat with Conjuring Creations and i <3 those guys

« Reply #482 on: February 07, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I'm filling them in and they look great dude. I'll have them done by tonight or definitely by tomorrow since it's late here.

« Reply #483 on: February 07, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I'm glad all of you like it so much!

I really can't wait! I'm VERY excited to see what they look like. Also I would like the red to be slightly darker then Bicycle pips.

I will try to have a king completed by Monday, but I'm not going to rush it.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #484 on: February 07, 2012, 11:33:09 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Here's a few I've done so far. So tired I'm heading to bed lol. I'll have the rest done tomorrow. I love them!

« Reply #485 on: February 07, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Wow. Those really look boss. Good work. I can't wait to see the rest.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:40:01 PM by loldudex2 »
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #486 on: February 07, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I really Really REALLY like those pips!  Also I am working on my Ace still but is there anyone who once I have worked on it abit more, that could make it look plush like and touch up blemishes?
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #487 on: February 07, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Latest in my design, I just threw in the backgroung to bring out the design. Still far from done but I have been working.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #488 on: February 07, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I really REALLY like those pips. Although I dont think that the suit pips should be filled in. I think they look perfect the way they are. Maybe we could have the numbers colored in with the suit's color, but the pips left blank. That would be very original. Yes, the spade does remind me very much of the Artifice AoS, but I think it's ok. Tomorrow, I will post a list of people who haven't been a part of the conversation since a very long time and I will give them a deadline to tell us about the progress they've made. If they haven't given us any info by that time, they will be out of the project until they show us some work.
@Derek - I don't know if you've noticed, but not all the numbers are the same color. I personally prefer the first color better.
Ty,
Nathan

« Reply #489 on: February 08, 2012, 01:12:55 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
i'm loving all the progress made so far! <3 <3 <3

Here is my 2 Spades DRAFT

I know my drawing all look the same. I really wanted the twos to be uniform in a way ^_^

« Reply #490 on: February 08, 2012, 01:17:36 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
i'm loving all the progress made so far! <3 <3 <3

Here is my 2 Spades DRAFT

I know my drawing all look the same. I really wanted the twos to be uniform in a way ^_^

Those look awesome! good work :)

« Reply #491 on: February 08, 2012, 01:24:49 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
This idea was done quite successfully by a completely open source group that allowed any stranger to submit their designs. I wish I could find the link now. But actually knowing all the people making the deck, it sounds like way more fun. If you guys still have an opening let me know.

-Chin
Hey, since I'm also doing the Jokers, I could give up a queen or two if you're interested. :P

I really Really REALLY like those pips!  Also I am working on my Ace still but is there anyone who once I have worked on it abit more, that could make it look plush like and touch up blemishes?
I could give it a try, just let me know when you're done with the drafting!
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #492 on: February 08, 2012, 01:42:26 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
@Aaron: I'm sure Moone can do a great job but I'm here for help too   :D

@Nathan: I didn't realize I had colored them in differently. I have them outlined and filled in so I can change the inside color to anything. I'll play around with it :D

The back poll is still split down the middle. I'm going to work with my sister tomorrow on a back thats different and more elegant but also has meaning to the Discourse. Then I'll post it and hopefully we can all agree it's THE ONE. Hopefully.. haha

« Reply #493 on: February 08, 2012, 03:14:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I wonder...  USPC makes a SpongeBob deck that's 3-D and the glasses are in the box...  Could we...?
Probably outsourced. :P
I would better see this deck printed by Gemaco, since they accommodate smaller runs more easily. I don't know how they work with outsourced boxes/other items, though. Do they deal with it at all?

I wouldn't necessarily run to Gemaco.  First of all, they're also a USPC subsidiary.  Second of all, while they occasionally come up with a good deck, many of their offerings are so-so at best.  It would depend on what their samples would look and feel like.

With the indices, I'm certainly up for the challenge! I will start working on them, and I will let you know how they are going.

Secondly, about the glasses, the USPCC says they can do practically anything with packaging, so I'm sure they could include 3-d , but who knows for how much! It would probably get pretty pricy. My guess is since we will most likely be funding these with kickstarter, why not just buy bulk 3d glasses for pennies a piece, and just include them with every order. We could customize them and everything, and it would be a nice added surprise for our purchasers.

I seem to recall that the SpongeBob decks were sold only at a slight premium.  It's a product targeted at kids - parents won't spend a ton extra on a deck of SpongeBob 3D cards if a pack of Bikes is so much cheaper.

I just looked - the prices aren't that much higher, but the packaging is something else.  It's a hang card with a plastic shell containing the pack of cards on top of a single pair of 3D glasses.

Instead of automatically including 3D glasses, we could make them available as a cheap accessory.  Many people already own more of those glasses than they know what to do with - why make them order more?  In fact, we could simply link to a reliable seller who has them cheap.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #494 on: February 08, 2012, 03:23:15 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
Well this is just me but I'm not too keen on the ideal of a "3d deck" or whatever. I personally wouldn't buy one. Maybe its because I always get a head ache when I look through 3d glasses, which is why I don't watch 3d movies. But of course that's just me. 

« Reply #495 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well this is just me but I'm not too keen on the ideal of a "3d deck" or whatever. I personally wouldn't buy one. Maybe its because I always get a head ache when I look through 3d glasses, which is why I don't watch 3d movies. But of course that's just me. 

If we go 3D for some cards, we could toss in a 3D specs vendor on the credits card and offer his glasses via a website link - perhaps even in exchange for a small advertising fee?

Don't worry, Krystle - you should be able to look at the cards in 2D with the naked eye and make them out reasonably well.

@Sabacc (although that isn't really your name anymore) and Derek - I understand what you mean, and I agree. I thing you are, all the pips we see when fanning the deck should be the same. However, I think we could pick a different type of red and black than on normal bicycle decks. That can bring out a bit of fancyness in the deck. Maybe we could choose a red between the normal red and the titanium edition red, and a almost blue color for the black pips?

Sounds good to me.  Titanium Edition red is metallic ink - costs extra, doesn't handle as well without Magic Finish.

Do you think USPCC would be willing to print index pips on all 4 corners of the card? So this could be a deck useful to leftys as well? If yes, do you think this would be a good idea? I think it would also add style and differentiate our deck from other ones!

Gotta be careful there.  While it's common enough in Europe, it's rare in the States, and people have pretty strong feelings about it.  Most Americans don't like four indices on a card - there were some here who didn't want to pledge for the Dead of the Living Dead because of that aspect of the design.  It also reduces the size of the artists' canvases.

BTW: take "gaff card" off the list of things to do.  We're not likely going to have one; most art decks don't have a gaff, and we're going to need both sides of the extra card plus the back of the Aethercards ad card for credits/signatures.

I call the Nine of Diamonds!
 P.S. Weren't we not supposed to split jobs due to the fact that  it won't look uniform enough, and the cards won't match? I feel a better way to do this would be to make a deadline(s) where you need to show how your work is going, and if you don't show any work by then, you are out. That is just my idea.

Also, here are my indices
 http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/loldudex2/?action=view&current=Indices.jpg

If you're that enamored of the nines, why not surrender the Kings?  I think having a single artist for each value and each Ace is enough "division of labor", and you're also designing all the indices.  Let others get a fair shot, too!

BTW: great indices!  Looking forward to seeing polished drafts.

I really REALLY like those pips. Although I dont think that the suit pips should be filled in. I think they look perfect the way they are. Maybe we could have the numbers colored in with the suit's color, but the pips left blank. That would be very original. Yes, the spade does remind me very much of the Artifice AoS, but I think it's ok. Tomorrow, I will post a list of people who haven't been a part of the conversation since a very long time and I will give them a deadline to tell us about the progress they've made. If they haven't given us any info by that time, they will be out of the project until they show us some work.
 @Derek - I don't know if you've noticed, but not all the numbers are the same color. I personally prefer the first color better.
 Ty,
 Nathan

Let's not stray too far from the standard on the indices.  All red suits will have red numbers/letters, all black suits will have them in black.  We can change the precise coloration a bit, but even if we go for, say, navy in place of black, all the black cards will have navy indices, suit and value both.

Doing them as line art is great.  I'm loving it.

@loldudex2 The spade pip does resemble the Artifice AoS, but only in the most vague way.  If you want yours to be a little more different while still be the same, flip the spade design you have, left to right - that should make it different enough.

Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #496 on: February 08, 2012, 07:22:27 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
It's not that I really like the nines. I still would like, and I'd rather have the kings. If he wants I will give up the nines for someone else. He asked us to pick the nines, so I picked the bine if diamonds. He just started splitting up the categories a few times, so I just wanted to make sure that as more people come he doesn't keep on reducing portions until all the categories are split. I was saying that since some people haven't talked about, or even done any work yet that we know of, we should have a deadline for drafts before we just keep splitting up groups smaller and smaller.

Also, when I suggested 3d, I meant for one card, and it was originally going to be a nine, so it would be easy to read even if you didn't have any glasses. I was never originally planning on including 3d glasses.

Lastly, I never was, or am trying to hog all of jobs. The pips I drew for the indices were originally for my nines, but once everyone liked the diamond pip so much, I decided to make those pips I originally had for the nines for the indices.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #497 on: February 08, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on a lot. If you noticed, Krystle's been posting a lot meaning she's been hogging the computer lately. Anyway, she's bugging me to upload something so here it is. I've been working on all sevens at the same time so none of them are really any close to being done yet but here is a rough draft of what I kind of want to happen with the diamonds. It's not even final yet so feel free to let me know what you guys think.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:05:43 AM by kensei777 »
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #498 on: February 08, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
It's not that I really like the nines. I still would like, and I'd rather have the kings. If he wants I will give up the nines for someone else. He asked us to pick the nines, so I picked the bine if diamonds. He just started splitting up the categories a few times, so I just wanted to make sure that as more people come he doesn't keep on reducing portions until all the categories are split. I was saying that since some people haven't talked about, or even done any work yet that we know of, we should have a deadline for drafts before we just keep splitting up groups smaller and smaller.

Also, when I suggested 3d, I meant for one card, and it was originally going to be a nine, so it would be easy to read even if you didn't have any glasses. I was never originally planning on including 3d glasses.

Lastly, I never was, or am trying to hog all of jobs. The pips I drew for the indices were originally for my nines, but once everyone liked the diamond pip so much, I decided to make those pips I originally had for the nines for the indices.

Hi loldudex2, I didn't mean to attack you or anything. I just saw that a great artist like IAmTheChin wanted to join in and looking at the breakdown of jobs every designer had their own set but you had the Nines and Kings. I know it started out that way because there weren't a lot of artists at the beginning. I also think that each set should have 1 artist working on all 4 of that set's suits. I'm fine with each Ace suit having a separate artist.

If IAmTheChin was to get a set of the Nines or Kings then I think the sets should be locked down. If any new artist comes along and wants to participate then they could be backup in case someone drops the ball on their set.

I think a lot of people haven't shown there work yet because they don't like to show in-progress work (myself included). If we're going to have a deadline to start dropping people if they haven't shown anything then it should at least be a week or two away. This would give people time to fine tune at least 1 or 2 of their suits for posting.

I'm not too gung-ho on the 3d card idea. It seems a little gimmicky.

thanks,
Randy

« Reply #499 on: February 08, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Indexes - Loldudex2√
Back Design - Derek √
Ace of spades - Derek
Ace of hearts - Aaron
Ace of diamonds - zaganh
Ace of clubs - Robert Butler's club design idea √
Kings - Loldudex2 √√
Queens - Moon.exe
Jacks - brown-baggs
Tens - Nathan √√
Nines - IAmTheChin
Eights - chdmagicdude
Sevens - Kensei777
Sixes - RandyButterfield
Fives (pick two) - Austin
Fives (the other two) - hazofhorsham
Fours - John
Threes - RobertButler
Twos - KrystleLane √√√
Single-faced ad card - Alex
Custom Seal - Alex
Tuck Case - Alex
Brought to USPCC - Alex
We are missing a few drafts and a few artists. Feel free to pick a job, I do not wish to impose one on anyone! Let's keep up the work!
PS: I split some jobs because I hadn't heard of or seen work by those people and/or because they had another tough job to do.