You are Here:

Poll

What is your opinion regarding the extra card w/credits?

Regular backs on both, credits on one in small print, AC ad on the other.
Credits on both sides of one in medium-sized print, AC ad on the other with regular back.
Credits on three sides in regular print, AC ad on the fourth.
I really couldn't give a flying fig and have no opinion - do what thou wilst.
I want something different, and I'll describe it in a post below...
Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)

Author (Read 137110 times)

Re: Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I'm pretty sure there are plugins out there to open a PSD in Gimp. I wouldn't know though, I hate Gimp more than UC members hate De'vo. :P
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:35:31 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
so i just found this and really want to help, if someone can go to my page and use the contact me button to email info to my email i can check that on my phone while this site only at the rare times im on a computer.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Aight! We'll update you via email as well. :P

« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
I'm pretty sure there are plugins out there to open a PSD in Gimp. I wouldn't know though, I hate Gimp more than UC members hate De'vo. :P
I'm using chrome.

« Reply #329 on: February 03, 2012, 11:15:38 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Sadly I'm going to have to back out of the project. I don't have the time with exams coming up. I would love to be apart of a project with so many amazing and talented artists, but I just wouldn't be able to give you all the dedication you deserve. If I can help in any other way I'd be honored. This is going to be one amazing deck and I wish you all the best on it.

Sorry again!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
What about doing the back something like a Mondrian painting?

The grids could be white or black and the boxes could be varying shades of the
Discourse dark blue. I could be symmetrical and a couple boxes could have very
subtle type that says "Design & Development" and a couple other boxes could
have "Discourse". It would almost be like a visual representation of a forum itself.

thanks, Randy

That's a great idea! I'll try doing something like that next. So the boxes would be varying shades of blue and varying sizes? I kind of get what you're saying, could you do a quick sketch just to clarify?
EDIT: I didn't see the picture at first. I love the idea, I'll try it in a second.

I just did this... I hope you guys see this too, the optical illusion I just made. It looks like ripples or waves in the card!!  ;D

I like this design and can easily see the wave illusion. What do you think it would look like with The Discourse forum simble and the year the forum was started in the corners of the back design? this would break up the white boarder when you fan the deck. I'm no artist so I'm not sure if this is even possible,but if your designing a deck for the forum it would be nice to see something on the deck that lets you know when The Discourse was formed. Just my 2 cents.

Billy.

« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2012, 12:04:33 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hey guys, I have a few things to say:

1. I love the teamwork I am seeing and some of the stuff created are on the way to becoming a very interesting design.
2. If you guys want, feel free to have this be some other deck. I never demanded that AC or The Discourse be advertised, I just said that if you guys want to include an ad card for the boards, we have to use the my standard ad card and not something created by a member.
3. You guys have 100% permission to use anything and everything on the boards. If you want some of the raw files that I have for the site, just ask. I think it would be really cool to see the Omnes pip transformed into a legitimate Ace of Spades, let me know what you think!
4. The ad card can either be the standard card I use, it could be an ad card on one side and a continuation of names on the other, or I could do something fun and throw in a back design for the next deck, whatever it may be at the time. Up to you all!

Forum Founder.

« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2012, 05:59:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I really, really like the "rippled waves" D back design.  It really captures the eye, it's very simple, not even on the level of Rider Backs for flash - which for this deck I think is a good thing, because we want people jazzed about the faces more than the backs.  It's a pretty neutral design without being boring.

I liked the earlier version that had DISCOURSE running down from the left corners - keep that idea, but maybe use a more blue or purple shade.  It would in essence look like an index running down from the left corner - in fans and spreads, I think it would look very cool.  (Anyone got the chops to create a mock-up fan of this?)

Try to make the border thin - like "Tendril Deck" thin.  I like a border, but I REALLY like a super slim border, because they make the fans look all the more attractive while also remaining a highly functional design.

And I have an overall suggestion for the front designs - vote me down if you think I'm wrong:

DON'T go into the bleed on the front designs.  I have decks that have different bleed designs on them, and they look horrible and practically make it a marked deck.  Leave at least a slight border, so the front patterns aren't edge-visible as well as to compensate for the front being slightly off-center in relation to the back - which nearly always happens at USPC.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
@Moon, instead of having the word "Joker" on the joker, maybe you could have the word "Discourse" instead?

« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Here it is with thinner borders and the DISCOURSE in the corners...along with a VERY poorly photoshopped fan.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:28:26 PM by Derek »
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

?
Uuuuhhhh.... Sorry, can't see the images... :-\
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #336 on: February 04, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

?

I'm not sure why, I can see it..  ::)
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
is that going to be the ad card or is it going to be the back of the cards ??

« Reply #338 on: February 04, 2012, 03:15:01 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

?

I'm not sure why, I can see it..  ::)

Nevermind, got it. I had to register at imageshack first though  :P

They look awesome btw, good job!  :D
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #339 on: February 04, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It looks very cool but maybe try having a standard sized border? or a dark line separating the border from the design?

« Reply #340 on: February 04, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I say either go with the diagonal wording and the discourse or just go with the wavy D design and no discourse. I think both look good but mixing them isn't that great.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #341 on: February 04, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
It looks very cool but maybe try having a standard sized border? or a dark line separating the border from the design?

I love the thin border on it, as does Don because he asked for it. I can try the line though, idk if it'll look better.

« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I say either go with the diagonal wording and the discourse or just go with the wavy D design and no discourse. I think both look good but mixing them isn't that great.

I'll see if Nathan can change the poll at the top to be about the back design, that we we can get a record of what people want. It's hard to tell with all of the random input and posts.

EDIT: Also, I was just thinking of different options to vote on. The wave design with and without 'DISCOURSE'. The names diagonally across. I was also thinking, if it was just the D wave design, I could try to hide a escret in the back. Since it is so simple, it'd be cool to have a hidden message or secret that most people won't see.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:34:01 PM by Derek »

« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
2. If you guys want, feel free to have this be some other deck. I never demanded that AC or The Discourse be advertised, [...]
We don't want. Something about being proud to be part of this forum, I guess. :P
[...]or I could do something fun and throw in a back design for the next deck, whatever it may be at the time. Up to you all!
That would be amazing! ;D

I love the current back design, personally. Especially after seeing the picture of the fan - It really looks sweet on an actual card. I don't want it to be red, though, as I never use red decks. :P
The current color scheme is nice, but you could try something less teal-ish - More like a grayish blue with a deeper blue for the Discourse? Just an idea.

As for the idea(whoever said it) of having Discourse instead of the word "joker", that's pretty clever as well, I might go with that. ;)

« Reply #344 on: February 04, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

As for the idea(whoever said it) of having Discourse instead of the word "joker", that's pretty clever as well, I might go with that. ;)
I said that :) Thanks
It looks like Derek too that idea and used it for the back design too.

« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
2. If you guys want, feel free to have this be some other deck. I never demanded that AC or The Discourse be advertised, [...]
We don't want. Something about being proud to be part of this forum, I guess. :P
[...]or I could do something fun and throw in a back design for the next deck, whatever it may be at the time. Up to you all!
That would be amazing! ;D

I love the current back design, personally. Especially after seeing the picture of the fan - It really looks sweet on an actual card. I don't want it to be red, though, as I never use red decks. :P
The current color scheme is nice, but you could try something less teal-ish - More like a grayish blue with a deeper blue for the Discourse? Just an idea.

Yeah I'm not sold on the tele or the red. Just showing two different schemes. I like the grey/blue color idea, I'll try it out  :-X

« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Just my personal preference. I like the blue one that you made. There's just so much red decks now-a-days i think. hahahaha!

See the gradient effect on this here reply I'm making.
What if you do this on the blue design that you made?
The Darker Blue Green (Slate) on the outside gradients
to the turqoise-ish on the inside?

its just an idea though. :P

« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Yeah, I actually dislike red decks for a pretty cheesy reason (The color and what it suggests doesn't suit my personality), but I agree that people are a bit too fond of it in general. :P Not to mention red is the standard color for trick decks, making things worse with magicians...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:57:18 PM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2012, 01:40:34 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I really like that back design and I think you sould keep the thin border, this isn`t going to be a deck for magician so it doesnt have to be super practical! This project is coming along great :)   I will have some pictures of my Ace of Hearts up probably next Wednesday possibly a little sooner. I have to get my laptop Monday and then Recreate my design Digitally and then I will post a picture. Also I will look into prices at different companies for a 500-2000 deck run and see how much they cost for different qualities. I think we should go with at least a 1000 deck run.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2012, 03:16:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I really like that back design and I think you sould keep the thin border, this isn`t going to be a deck for magician so it doesnt have to be super practical! This project is coming along great :)   I will have some pictures of my Ace of Hearts up probably next Wednesday possibly a little sooner. I have to get my laptop Monday and then Recreate my design Digitally and then I will post a picture. Also I will look into prices at different companies for a 500-2000 deck run and see how much they cost for different qualities. I think we should go with at least a 1000 deck run.

I don't think a thin white border is "bad" for magicians, per se.  The only thing that's bad is when the card edge on both sides doesn't match - which is why Artifice v.1 was griped about by so many magicians.  It could even be a black border, as long as there's a matching black border on the front.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/