You are Here:

Poll

What is your opinion regarding the extra card w/credits?

Regular backs on both, credits on one in small print, AC ad on the other.
Credits on both sides of one in medium-sized print, AC ad on the other with regular back.
Credits on three sides in regular print, AC ad on the fourth.
I really couldn't give a flying fig and have no opinion - do what thou wilst.
I want something different, and I'll describe it in a post below...
Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)

Author (Read 137014 times)

Re: Group-made deck of cards? (You can see poll once you have voted)
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2012, 06:41:34 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Here's a quick ace of diamonds. I had no idea what I was doing or the direction I was going in. Let me know what you guys think

You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
The Discourse Deck -- I like it  :D

Some of the favorite decks I own are group collaboration decks.

Here are a few:
Suit Up: http://www.suitup.bigcartel.com/

Versus: http://versusillustration.co.uk/

And of course, The Black Rock Collective: http://www.merchline.com/brc/productdisplay.7974.p.htm

You OWN some.. now it's time to contribute! We need your design skills on this deck, it's a must!

As much as I would love to contribute to this deck, I'm afraid I can't :( There's too much I'm juggling right now and you guys deserve 100% commitment.

« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2012, 06:43:41 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
The Discourse Deck -- I like it  :D

Some of the favorite decks I own are group collaboration decks.

Here are a few:
Suit Up: http://www.suitup.bigcartel.com/

Versus: http://versusillustration.co.uk/

And of course, The Black Rock Collective: http://www.merchline.com/brc/productdisplay.7974.p.htm

You OWN some.. now it's time to contribute! We need your design skills on this deck, it's a must!

As much as I would love to contribute to this deck, I'm afraid I can't :( There's too much I'm juggling right now and you guys deserve 100% commitment.

Definitely respect that. Good luck with your juggling act  ;)
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
okay okay I know how to draw... just a little bit though. and only, I repeat ONLY when I'm half asleep (i know its weird but thats the truth ask Kensei)
I thought I was the only one! I'm always better late at night! :P

Anyway... Here's a partial sketch for your Queen of Clubs. Tell me what you think.
(Sorry for the bad quality, I don't have a scanner right now and I took the picture with my iPod. And the swirls at the top are for testing purpose, possible pattern to go on the crown.)

tis nice! but supposed to be Queen of spades... >.>..... ahahhah! The The queen of spades will eat the queen of clubs for dinner. LoL!

Yeah I usually can only draw when I'm really really sleepy and my eyes are squinted and my head all fuzzy. LoL!

BTW I found a few files in my HDD on my favourite concept art for the Queen of Spades
[/color]

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Here's a quick ace of diamonds. I had no idea what I was doing or the direction I was going in. Let me know what you guys think

It looks great! But don't limit yourself to red only; you could add some more colors in it. And maybe some more detail on the rest of the card. There's a lot of white space, have fun. ;)
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I have an interesting question. What if I turned the sevens into discreet gaff cards?
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
@Derek, That AoD is really cool! It looks to me like a gem which I really like! But like Moon said, mess around with different colors!

« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
tis nice! but supposed to be Queen of spades... >.>..... ahahhah! The The queen of spades will eat the queen of clubs for dinner. LoL!

Yeah I usually can only draw when I'm really really sleepy and my eyes are squinted and my head all fuzzy. LoL!

BTW I found a few files in my HDD on my favourite concept art for the Queen of Spades

The first one is almost exactly what I had in mind when I went to sleep! O.O
Queen of spades... Hmm... Do you have descriptions for every court card? It could be great inspiration. :P

I have an interesting question. What if I turned the sevens into discreet gaff cards?
You mean like a transformation deck? Have fun! There's never too much originality! ;)

« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Just don't ask questions, and do. Throw yourself into it, nothing is too crazy. You guys, keep all the doodles you make, and don't erase them because they are very nice and could be useful. As for the ace of diamonds, it's really nice, but you should play a bit with blurriness and twist it around a bit. Very nice job, all of you guys. Lets make this a great souvenir of our fun time and great team at the discourse!!!!!!!!

« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:

The first one is almost exactly what I had in mind when I went to sleep! O.O
Queen of spades... Hmm... Do you have descriptions for every court card? It could be great inspiration. :P

Actually yes I do have descriptions for every card! Since I used to dab in tarot cards. Spades were actually Swords. :P so yeah. Should I post them here or should I open a new thread so it would be easier to find?

« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
A thread dedicated to those would definitely be nice. Go ahead~

« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
A thread dedicated to those would definitely be nice. Go ahead~

Aight! Will start on it right now!!

« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I think the Ace of Diamonds should have more facets if you are trying to make it look like a ruby. Also it would be really cool if it could look more translucent.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
what do i do it wont let me upload a pic it seys  that the file is to big??

« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
what do i do it wont let me upload a pic it seys  that the file is to big??
Upload it to a photo sharing website like Photobucket.com

« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
i well latter cuz i have to go.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:34:34 PM by chdmagicdude »

« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
WOW I was gone today and this has really took off. I am going to sketch my card up but I wont de able to work on the computerizes aspects of it until my laptop comes back from repair next week. I am using my dads old dinosaur laptop so it is old and slow. Anyway I really like that Ace of Diamonds and I could also do another card.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2012, 09:50:46 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Guys, I hate to burst the party bubble, but I do want to point out that you can't just "transfer" something to a computer and have it be card-i-fied.

1. This project needs a devoted leader to succeed, and I hate to say it, but the leader has to be versed in design. Not necessarily card design, but design in general. This allows the leader to take random drawings and sketches people give him or her and transform them into something that can be used. This allows people with little artistic aptitude to participate as well.

2. I don't think insane marketing is needed for the deck. USPCC has a company they outsource small print runs to, and you can always add extra for custom tuck cases. I think a print run of 500 decks is far more than enough. This deck is obviously here to be a work of art, and not to be a mainstream practical product. Use your advantages here, you have access to over 700 members and possibly more with good marketing.

3. This is a community deck, so make the theme community related. The back design could be random abstract artwork, sure, or it could be something really awesome like all the artist's signatures meshed together into a crazy design and mirrored on itself for a two-way look.

4. I would prefer that either no ad card for AetherCards is included, or that our standard one is used. All things related to promoting a brand need to be handled by me personally, although I don't mind any of you using things like the Omnes pip or any other AC stuff in your designs. I would just prefer that the actual "promotion" card be left to me or excluded entirely.

5. The best way to fund the deck is via Kickstarter. You'll want to have a goal of about $10,000 to cover all costs.  For anyone interested in marketing the product, your best route is probably "look at what the card community can create." That said, you guys really want to show what the card community CAN create, since you're representing all collectors everywhere with this project.

6. All funding has to be managed by someone over 18 years of age in the United States. Your income will be taxed, and you should know basic financial information.

7. Remember to have fun doing this. It's a community project, and that means find a role for everyone if they want in. However, whoever takes up the role of leader (maybe have a poll for it?) should do well to assign roles properly. For example, have the amazing designer make the AoS, and leave the two of diamonds to someone with less aptitude. Someone with no artistic skill can submit hand made drawings and sketches that are collaborated upon by someone who can do digital art, bringing the sketch to life.

8. Be ready for a time commitment, don't expect this to be done in a few weeks, and you guys really have to push hard for results. Not only yourselves, but other people involved as well.

This is all constructive criticism so take it as you will. Run with it, or don't run with it at all (except the AetherCards ad card bit, that's my only actual request).
Forum Founder.

« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Starting with the beginning of Alex's post (which I agree with) who will be the leader of this vast adventure of card making wonderfulness?

« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
can't wait to see what u guys come up with for your group deck i'm working on mine to.

« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2012, 11:27:56 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Guys, I hate to burst the party bubble, but I do want to point out that you can't just "transfer" something to a computer and have it be card-i-fied.

1. This project needs a devoted leader to succeed, and I hate to say it, but the leader has to be versed in design. Not necessarily card design, but design in general. This allows the leader to take random drawings and sketches people give him or her and transform them into something that can be used. This allows people with little artistic aptitude to participate as well.

2. I don't think insane marketing is needed for the deck. USPCC has a company they outsource small print runs to, and you can always add extra for custom tuck cases. I think a print run of 500 decks is far more than enough. This deck is obviously here to be a work of art, and not to be a mainstream practical product. Use your advantages here, you have access to over 700 members and possibly more with good marketing.

3. This is a community deck, so make the theme community related. The back design could be random abstract artwork, sure, or it could be something really awesome like all the artist's signatures meshed together into a crazy design and mirrored on itself for a two-way look.

4. I would prefer that either no ad card for AetherCards is included, or that our standard one is used. All things related to promoting a brand need to be handled by me personally, although I don't mind any of you using things like the Omnes pip or any other AC stuff in your designs. I would just prefer that the actual "promotion" card be left to me or excluded entirely.

5. The best way to fund the deck is via Kickstarter. You'll want to have a goal of about $10,000 to cover all costs.  For anyone interested in marketing the product, your best route is probably "look at what the card community can create." That said, you guys really want to show what the card community CAN create, since you're representing all collectors everywhere with this project.

6. All funding has to be managed by someone over 18 years of age in the United States. Your income will be taxed, and you should know basic financial information.

7. Remember to have fun doing this. It's a community project, and that means find a role for everyone if they want in. However, whoever takes up the role of leader (maybe have a poll for it?) should do well to assign roles properly. For example, have the amazing designer make the AoS, and leave the two of diamonds to someone with less aptitude. Someone with no artistic skill can submit hand made drawings and sketches that are collaborated upon by someone who can do digital art, bringing the sketch to life.

8. Be ready for a time commitment, don't expect this to be done in a few weeks, and you guys really have to push hard for results. Not only yourselves, but other people involved as well.

This is all constructive criticism so take it as you will. Run with it, or don't run with it at all (except the AetherCards ad card bit, that's my only actual request).

Thank you for the feedback alex :)

We will leave out the Ad card.

And is there anyone who is educated in design and can work with photoshop or Illustrator that wants to be the project leader?
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2012, 11:33:31 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
And is there anyone who is educated in design and can work with photoshop or Illustrator that wants to be the project leader?

Would love to but with school and my job it'd be too much work..

« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
We will leave out the Ad card.
Says who? I would actually like having the standard Aether ad card. :P
USPCC has a company they outsource small print runs to, and you can always add extra for custom tuck cases.
What is the quality like, though? If I'm not mistaken, Gemaco can accommodate small runs as well. I'd take a good Gemaco deck over a low-quality outsourced deck, personally. ;)

« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2012, 11:53:20 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
here is a nother back design http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums/o569/chdmagicdude9/?action=view&current=DSC_0224.jpg

Not bad, I think if you changed the angle of the 4 polygon shaped things in the lines so that they outlined the circle. The top right one is perfect, follow that. I hope you understood that haha.