You are Here:
Hounders - a Founders deck parody

Author (Read 5273 times)

Hounders - a Founders deck parody
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Yep! You read it right! I too was a backer of the Founders deck and thought it was a great deck. Who out their would be interested in me revamping the art as to not completely rip it off (I really don't care if I rip it off cuz I and most of you paid for it) and actually get the deck printed?

I'm 100% serious and am personally sick and tired of looking at the designs on a computer screen and want them in my hands.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:56:50 AM by Don Boyer »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

Re: Pounders - a Founders deck parody
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:25 PM »

jupiter3

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Yes, please !!!!!!!!  I always thought it was good artwork, still want some in my hands.
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:26:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
As much as I'd love to see these cards in print, I wouldn't bother to tread those waters.  The creators may have been complete and total con men, but the fact remains that they created (or obtained) a unique design, and a copyright need not be registered to be enforceable, though it certainly helps.  Screw them, don't give them any leverage whatsoever to make money on their designs and make something more unique, in a different style that's adequately different from what they did to be in no way an unauthorized use of their copyright.

I'm still waiting to hear the results of the case the New York Attorney General's office has against that guy.

Even better, if you REALLY want to attract attention and make people happy, create a one-stop site for filing complaints against creators who rip off their backers.  You receive their complaint, log the amount invested and the reward promised, create a form letter to send to the appropriate legal authority and sign everyone's name to it on their behalf.  That right there could do more to make decks like this see the light of day more than anything else - or at the least make the ripped-off backers whole.  Law enforcement is a little slow at times to get caught up on social websites, but they're being brought up to speed more and more with every new fraud case that takes place in that Wild West that we all know as Kickstarter.  Charge a small fee to cover expenses and you're golden.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:26:52 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:58:44 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I think that The Independence sorta already fits that need. But if you designed a Kings Wild Founders deck, with the same historical figures as the courts, used standard colors and a bright white background with the Bill of Rights as a joker that would be pretty cool.

I'm sure that your art would be distinct. I would not worry regarding copyright, as ideas are not copyrightable only the expression of the idea.

<Two More Thoughts> it would be a great gesture if you offered a buck off for the folks that pledged for the Founders deck, maybe a special pledge level with a limit to 1,138 backers. It would be interesting to just use the honor system. And the publicity that you got for doing this would be pretty cool to see </Two More Thoughts>

/todd
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:05:01 AM by bamabenz »

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
If you could swing it without any copyright issues I'd be all for it, but only then. I'd be very interested in seeing what you could make of that concept but I don't want any legal problems created for you.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Paul Carpenter mentioned that in the comments there a few weeks ago, maybe you guys can do a joint project or maybe some anonymous person will upload to artscow or MPC.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dodsr/founders-playing-cards/comments

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I think it is best to just leave it alone. Most of your projects eclipse what they were trying to create in the first place. I think backers of that deck would probably be looking more forward to your next original project than rehashing the Founders deck. I did not back the deck myself; it was before my time, but I don't think backing another version of the deck they already payed for is going to wipe the bad taste out of anyones mouth.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:15:27 PM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Are you kidding me.  Rip it off completely.  The only problem is, I know you will find ways to make this deck better.  This would be a slap in the face to all scammers.  Just think of the PR value.  I did read that Paul Carpenter is planning on doing the same thing.  Maybe you two should get involved together.   Just know there are 1,138  people who would back you included me.  This was the first Kickstarter I pledged for. 

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
As a added thought.  If your serious about doing this Jackson, how about all the old backers get an "early bird" discount.  It's easy to get the list of 1,138 backers.  It would be like your on a guest list for a party.  Of course, you wouldn't call the tier an early bird, but what would you call it?  Hmmm I don't know.  Need some help here. 

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 02:56:02 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I talked to my wife about this idea and I think I agree with her.

"You would be an idiot to print that tainted deck! Don't touch it with a ten foot pole."

-Mrs. Jackson Robinson

I guess that answers it for me.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Well then, we have to respect that call.  Don't want to piss off the missus.   

What say you Paul?   https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/448402/video-202585-h264_high.mp4  I would love a video to copycat and top that one. For we can all be fooled once, but not twice...  Can ;you believe this guy made this video knowing he was going to run with the money.  Hard to believe....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:07:47 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 03:13:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well then, we have to respect that call.  Don't want to piss off the missus.   

What say you Paul?   https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/448402/video-202585-h264_high.mp4  I would love a video to copycat and top that one. For we can all be fooled once, but not twice...  Can ;you believe this guy made this video knowing he was going to run with the money.  Hard to believe....

I agree with listening to his wife, but for a different reason that ties into your question about the video - as well as the fact that this deck is a complete, whole design and seems like a lot of work to go through for a scam.

My theory?  I think he managed to scam a few more people besides his backers, such as the actual designer of the deck, the person or persons who shot and edited the video, etc.  I can hear it now - "If you guys do this for me now for free, when the money comes in I'll give you a percentage!!"  It's the same way the designer for the Bicycle Asylum deck got roped into that scam and was ripped off of his design.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 04:04:52 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Funny you mention it. I've been working on a parody of the deck. But instead of a clone it would poke fun at it. My wife recently did a deck Krazy Dogs (but it didn't get funded) so I was going to help her out revamping it and I came up with the idea of Hounders... yes I know that's not a word. But it would be done in the same style and theme as founders but the founding fathers would have hound dog faces. When I get home I can post my Abrahound Lincon card. It's not 100% complete but you can see what I have in mind.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 09:02:15 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member

Still a work in progress but this is what I had in mind. I'm not a lawyer but I was thinking a parody would be more legal than an out right ripoff of the work. I'm getting close to the stretch goal where I add an extra deck to my Colonial Unrest project. This could be it! lol
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:09:10 AM by rjtomlinson1977 »

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Still a work in progress but this is what I had in mind. I'm not a lawyer but I was thinking a parody would be more legal than an out right ripoff of the work. I'm getting close to the stretch goal where I add an extra deck to my Colonial Unrest project. This could be it! lol

It could be the Pounders deck  ;D

But I agree with your wife, Jackson. There's no point in risking your reputation over some scuzzball's scam. Even though it's a great deck, your work is FAR superior.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
Heh, I'd pledge for a Hounders deck for sure.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 04:58:05 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
when I am bored, I am totally going to get one made through MPC or the like. I paid for it, I should get one. I grabbed all the high res art from the updates, so a little photoshop do do some spot cards and at least I'll have SOMETHING for my money. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Expect to see the parody for the Founder's deck soon on Kickstarter. Together with my wife, we're working on it now. We just need to get the final loose ends finished before we submit for KS approval.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 01:47:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Parody is indeed a form of Constitutionally-protected free expression in this country.  You can be arrested for threatening the President, but if you parody him in some kind of humorous character assassination, he'll probably laugh alongside you!

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 11:32:52 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Expect to see the parody for the Founder's deck soon on Kickstarter. Together with my wife, we're working on it now. We just need to get the final loose ends finished before we submit for KS approval.

HAHAHAHAHA! That's amazing!
One of the jokers should totally be Salbyk running away with a huge sack of money.  ;D

I can't wait for the release! I'm definitely backing it.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 01:13:18 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
I didi decided to go with the Pounders name because I wanted to include cats also. For the Jokers I'm using Uncle Scam (the cat). He'll be holding a big bag of money in one joker. I'm still thinking about the second joker.... maybe Uncle Scam in handcuffs.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:14:09 AM by rjtomlinson1977 »

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 01:53:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I didi decided to go with the Pounders name because I wanted to include cats also. For the Jokers I'm using Uncle Scam (the cat). He'll be holding a big bag of money in one joker. I'm still thinking about the second joker.... maybe Uncle Scam in handcuffs.

Make sure Uncle Scam looks like the ripoff artist behind "The Department of Design"...

It's because of him that any new company making a deck is better off using names of the individuals in the company, giving faces to names and such.

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member

Here's the cover WIP. Still have a few design elements to add but this is close to what I'm aiming for. Notice Uncle Scam on the top.

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 10:57:39 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Im lovin this deck, but can we kindly take the "by Jackson Robinson" out of the thread title at this point please? I've been getting message about the Pounders deck I'm doing???
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 07:57:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Im lovin this deck, but can we kindly take the "by Jackson Robinson" out of the thread title at this point please? I've been getting message about the Pounders deck I'm doing???

I'll fix it, but you created the first post in the topic - you can actually edit it to have whatever title you want.  It could say "Live Nude Girls XXX" if you wanted...  (But don't, please!)

I took it a step further and changed the topic of all the posts.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:59:47 AM by Don Boyer »