Author (Read 34716 times)

Re: Sharpie-ing the edges of your decks
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
It looks cool, but not as cool as the other ones. The shade of green is off, but other then that I really like it.

I picked up a Sharpie that matched the deck.. but the ink is not even close

Here's the pic with the sharpie and tuckbox

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Somewhat disappointing I must say. Like you said, the colour is way off. A deck lost. :(

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah that is quite disappointing. I guess you can't win them all :P  I wonder if somebody could find a better green marker... it could still work.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I am going to rummage through my collection of sharpies and tell you if I find one that matches, but from what I remember, the only darker green is VERY dark and not even close to the turquoise-ish color of this reversed back.

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I am going to rummage through my collection of sharpies and tell you if I find one that matches, but from what I remember, the only darker green is VERY dark and not even close to the turquoise-ish color of this reversed back.

I doubt you'll find a better green that is sharpie brand. I would look around at different brands for the best chance of getting a good green.

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:

I doubt you'll find a better green that is sharpie brand. I would look around at different brands for the best chance of getting a good green.
I've seen packs of sharpies that cover the entire spectrum of colors, so I bet there are better ones that are still sharpies.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2012, 01:20:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Marks-A-Lot markers come in a variety of colors as well.  Couldn't guarantee a perfect match on the shade of green, though.

That's the problem with using something other than black - differences in precise shade stand out like a sore thumb.  A shade of black on black isn't anywhere near as noticeable as it is for colors.  I think the only way to get away with it on a colored deck would be to "paint" the edges in a shade slightly lighter, so the light ink that accidentally gets on the card faces and backs won't show as easily.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2012, 04:51:24 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
lucky i did not sharpie my green reserved back :D

« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I should get photos up of my Black Ghost deck.  I colored the edges using a variety of methods until I settled on Marks-A-Lot markers - they were consistently darker than Sharpie and both were better than using an ink stamp pad.  It'll give you a chance to see what they look like AFTER they've been colored and used for a while.

Another of my many weekend missions...

It's time to check your homework.

« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I have 36 different colored sharpies but couldn't find one that is the same color as the green reversed back. However, since I am not currently able to find it, its color may be different from what I think it is.

« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
The darker green that showed up around the cards is the main reason I don't want to silver sharpie my Vipers. The only way I can see doing this without getting ink on the faces or backs of the cards is to do all the cards once, and rub the sharpie in the side of the deck.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2012, 10:25:13 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I don't think the silver sharpie will be a good idea. I think it is a color that is too solid and will ruin the deck!

« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I don't think the silver sharpie will be a good idea. I think it is a color that is too solid and will ruin the deck!

If I ruin it, it will be sad, but if it works, it will look incredible, plus I can always go back ofer it with black sharpie if it looks terrible. I feel the pros outweigh the cons, and I will most likely be trying it this weekend.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

If I ruin it, it will be sad, but if it works, it will look incredible, plus I can always go back ofer it with black sharpie if it looks terrible. I feel the pros outweigh the cons, and I will most likely be trying it this weekend.
Good luck with that! I only own one black deck so I don't want to risk it!  :-X

« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I know many of us would love to see how it turns out so don't forget to post some pictures! Or post a video on your youtube channel  :) I really enjoyed your first couple videos and would love to see more!!

« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Ya, great idea. Post a video in fast forward of you putting the sharpie on some of the cards, so we can see your technique in detail!

« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2012, 10:56:23 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

I know many of us would love to see how it turns out so don't forget to post some pictures! Or post a video on your youtube channel  :) I really enjoyed your first couple videos and would love to see more!!

Thanks! I will be tryin it out this weekend, an I will post a video of the finished product.
Ya, great idea. Post a video in fast forward of you putting the sharpie on some of the cards, so we can see your technique in detail!

Although that sounds really cool, it will be my first time so I dont really have a technique. Also my camera only allows me to record 10 minutes before I need to hit record again, so I wont be doing a fast foward thing most likely, although that would be cool.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Thanks! I will be tryin it out this weekend, an I will post a video of the finished product.

Although that sounds really cool, it will be my first time so I dont really have a technique. Also my camera only allows me to record 10 minutes before I need to hit record again, so I wont be doing a fast foward thing most likely, although that would be cool.
Oh that sucks... Could you try taking regular pictures with the progress?

« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Oh that sucks... Could you try taking regular pictures with the progress?

Sure, I guess, but it won't look like CBJ's progress photos, because I'm coloring the sides at once instead of each individual card, so the Sharpie doesn't get on the faces or the backs of the cards.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2012, 11:16:46 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Oh. Well I'm excited to see how that will work out, especially if you don't do the cards 1 by 1!

« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity

Actually you need only film the preparation work and the first 10 cards if the purpose is to show the technique. But..good luck, I am not so optimistic. The edges are the weakest positions of a card, the ink gets into the edges easily and unevenly.

« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2012, 11:29:42 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Actually you need only film the preparation work and the first 10 cards if the purpose is to show the technique. But..good luck, I am not so optimistic. The edges are the weakest positions of a card, the ink gets into the edges easily and unevenly.
I figured that. That's why I'm going to use a deck that Ive never opened before, to see if that will help it out at all, but I am going in expecting the worst.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I figured that. That's why I'm going to use a deck that Ive never opened before, to see if that will help it out at all, but I am going in expecting the worst.
Exactly what deck are you planning on using. Black tiger white pips or tally ho vips?

« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2012, 06:44:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I should get photos up of my Black Ghost deck.  I colored the edges using a variety of methods until I settled on Marks-A-Lot markers - they were consistently darker than Sharpie and both were better than using an ink stamp pad.  It'll give you a chance to see what they look like AFTER they've been colored and used for a while.

My work weekend begins Wednesday morning at 7am, ends Friday night at 11pm.  :P

Someone earlier on this thread posted that they tried silver and it was an epic fail.  The ink was absorbed into the edge of the card and totally ruined it.  I can't imagine doing them all at once will somehow make this better.

I'd suggest trying the "all at once in silver" method on a cheapo deck of standard Bikes first rather than ruining a nice Ellusionist deck, just as a proof of concept.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:48:51 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2012, 07:03:35 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

My work weekend begins Wednesday morning at 7am, ends Friday night at 11pm.  :P

Someone earlier on this thread posted that they tried silver and it was an epic fail.  The ink was absorbed into the edge of the card and totally ruined it.  I can't imagine doing them all at once will somehow make this better.

I'd suggest trying the "all at once in silver" method on a cheapo deck of standard Bikes first rather than ruining a nice Ellusionist deck, just as a proof of concept.
Maybe I will try it or on a cheap deck first. I got it for free with "How to do Street Magic" so it's not like I paid anything for it.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!