You are Here:
Give it a look

Author (Read 4487 times)

Give it a look
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »

Colorless Concept

Hello guys,one of my friend ask me how was the back design look.She need some suggestion and through of the back design.Can somebody give some idea and feeling of the back design.

Re: Give it a look
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like them! Unique, but not so far out there as to not be recognizable as card backs. Does the deck have an overall theme, or are you just doing backs?
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »

Colorless Concept

She is using a concept of tarot card for the theme of the deck.This deck is about more on mystery side.But I will think this will only be a collector item because it is to weird to use a deck for magician and cardistry.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:45:15 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
She is using a concept of tarot card for the theme of the deck.This deck is about more on mystery side.But I will think this will only be a collector item because it is to weird to use a deck for magician and cardistry.

Cool! I like the concept. I particularly like the design on the left, and the one on the right is interesting but the sun looks a bit too "cartoonish" for my taste, and I'm also not a fan of one-way back designs.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

Cool! I like the concept. I particularly like the design on the left, and the one on the right is interesting but the sun looks a bit too "cartoonish" for my taste, and I'm also not a fan of one-way back designs.

I am with John Spade on this one, when it comes to the back of cards I dont like one-way back designs.  Cool art!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:38:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Considering the theme, I think the backs are well-suited to the deck idea.  I'd like to see more.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:29:01 PM »

Colorless Concept

Hello guys,can all of you give some view from different style.
1. collector
2. Magician
3. Flourisher

She need the idea those design fix which type of customer 

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:31:42 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
In that image is the white border intentional, or is the black border in the image supposed to be the card border?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
In that image is the white border intentional, or is the black border in the image supposed to be the card border?

Great question Justin O, I assumed that the white was the boarder.  When I went back to look at it again after your post. I could visualize the card with a black boarder and I like them even more with having a black boarder.  I would suggest a black boarder, maybe that is what it is already and I missed it but if not I vote for the black boarder over the white. 
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:46:25 AM »

Colorless Concept

Yes,you were correct,the back have a black border .But we discuss about the back and it will come with a very thin layer of border.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 07:50:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
1. collector
2. Magician
3. Flourisher

You might be taking too narrow a view of the marketplace.  The most successful projects out there didn't succeed because they catered strictly to the card collecting community.  They succeeded because they brought in people who have no idea about card collecting, don't perform magic and wouldn't know a flourisher/cardist if one flung a card up their nose.  If you limit your focus to just those people, you limit your potential audience to just those people.

Prime example: Pedale Design's "Misc. Goods Co." deck.  When it was first introduced here, it was met with indifference - the design needed some serious tweaking, it was very expensive at the time and many people were turned off by the art.  It took off into the stratosphere not because we all suddenly changed our minds (a few did, once some of the design issues were dealt with) but because it was featured on some prominent high design blogs, dragging people onto Kickstarter who'd never bought a "collectible" deck before but were used to shelling out the big bucks for designer pieces of all kinds - to them, the "high price" of this deck was more of a bargain.  When it closed, it was the KS record holder for highest-grossing deck project at about $150,000.

With the designs she's working on, sure, some collectors will take interest.  But so will people who simply like art, especially the folksy kind this deck shows.  And she'd definitely draw interest from the tarot/divination crowd, a whole different animal from the typical deck collector.

The larger the target she aims for, the likelier she'll hit it.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »

BrainVessel

• True Member
  • Illustration, animation and wonderful creations!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Valuable information here. 

1. collector
2. Magician
3. Flourisher

You might be taking too narrow a view of the marketplace.  The most successful projects out there didn't succeed because they catered strictly to the card collecting community.  They succeeded because they brought in people who have no idea about card collecting, don't perform magic and wouldn't know a flourisher/cardist if one flung a card up their nose.  If you limit your focus to just those people, you limit your potential audience to just those people.

Prime example: Pedale Design's "Misc. Goods Co." deck.  When it was first introduced here, it was met with indifference - the design needed some serious tweaking, it was very expensive at the time and many people were turned off by the art.  It took off into the stratosphere not because we all suddenly changed our minds (a few did, once some of the design issues were dealt with) but because it was featured on some prominent high design blogs, dragging people onto Kickstarter who'd never bought a "collectible" deck before but were used to shelling out the big bucks for designer pieces of all kinds - to them, the "high price" of this deck was more of a bargain.  When it closed, it was the KS record holder for highest-grossing deck project at about $150,000.

With the designs she's working on, sure, some collectors will take interest.  But so will people who simply like art, especially the folksy kind this deck shows.  And she'd definitely draw interest from the tarot/divination crowd, a whole different animal from the typical deck collector.

The larger the target she aims for, the likelier she'll hit it.
Brain Vessel Creative

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »

Colorless Concept

We want to ask for somethings,if we remove the face of the sunand left it blank,will it look better for the entire design.

Now,we are working on the new design of the sun back design.After we done the design,we will get it in here and see what can people said about it.The deck will have a custom count card based on a vintage deck which probably all of you have seen it before in kckstarters.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 12:48:25 AM »

BrainVessel

• True Member
  • Illustration, animation and wonderful creations!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Are you making these to actual scale?  It would be nice to see this style done 250%+ of final size, reduced down to tighten up slightly. Just my opinion from an illustrators perspective.  Nice though, I dig it!
We want to ask for somethings,if we remove the face of the sunand left it blank,will it look better for the entire design.

Now,we are working on the new design of the sun back design.After we done the design,we will get it in here and see what can people said about it.The deck will have a custom count card based on a vintage deck which probably all of you have seen it before in kckstarters.
Brain Vessel Creative

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »

Colorless Concept

After a few week passed,we have come up with a new design.Here are the design for the deck.

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
After a few week passed,we have come up with a new design.Here are the design for the deck.

Is this full size?  Will you have a black border, a white border, something completely different?

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:12 PM »

Colorless Concept

Don,This is hands draw art with almost the same scale as the cards.We will using computer to adjust a little bit of it.For the design,the back will have a very thin white border.We will thinner the black board on the back to make it like a black frame.

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 11:27:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don,This is hands draw art with almost the same scale as the cards.We will using computer to adjust a little bit of it.For the design,the back will have a very thin white border.We will thinner the black board on the back to make it like a black frame.

It's better to make the original a bit larger, then use a computer to scale it down.  This allows your details to appear sharp and crisp, more so than would be possible from a 1:1 conversion.

BTW: you do realize that while the design is not perfectly symmetrical, right?  Hand-drawn, perfectly symmetrical backs are a fine art form, rarely attempted these days since computers can do the job with much greater ease by comparison.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:29:57 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 11:54:19 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
If you want to create the back design hand and want it as perfectly symmetrical as possible. I'd suggest to do what Mark Stutzman did for the back design of the Whispering Imps:

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 11:54:59 PM »

Colorless Concept

We think this before but we decided to make this as the back.I will explained why,this is inspired by old tarot cards.At the old days,the backs of the cards are not a perfect mirror image and have some major different.We keep this because we wanted to present the hard drawing art of the deck.You can noticed almost all the decks produced now are using computer to make it perfect match but we will let it like this.

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 12:21:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
We think this before but we decided to make this as the back.I will explained why,this is inspired by old tarot cards.At the old days,the backs of the cards are not a perfect mirror image and have some major different.We keep this because we wanted to present the hard drawing art of the deck.You can noticed almost all the decks produced now are using computer to make it perfect match but we will let it like this.

There's a reason for that "perfect match" - more consumers prefer it.  It's been that way since long before the advent of computer design.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »

Colorless Concept

Okay,we will try to match it up but I will my designer to decided.By the ways,if you not look closely ,you will not noticed it is a one way design.Just like the Misc.co deck

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:28:42 AM by Colorless Concept »

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 12:31:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Okay,we will try to match it up but I will my designer to decided.By the ways,if you not look closely ,you will not noticed it is a one way design.Just like the Misc.co deck

I spotted it rather easily, actually.  It didn't take long.

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »

Colorless Concept

We will try to use the computer to fix the problem but we have to wait for some times.