Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
My primary disappointment with these is that there are literally dozens (if not more) of decks that are black and white, feature some "designey stuff" inside two circular areas, is symmetrical and features mostly standard faces. It's not to say these decks don't look nice on their own, but the lack of creativity in a general sense personally disappoints me. There are literally unlimited options for designing a deck but time and again we see the same core theme and it's tiresome. If they spent 6 months working on the box, they had plenty of time to explore other things, even simply making it not black could have set it apart.

I have all the other E decks and they are all great, and handle better than most. But they have the market and opportunity to do so much more. If I can somehow manage to do a fancy box AND a fully custom deck all by myself while squeezing my design time in between changing diapers and reading stories, I'd think T11 and E could do the same.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: New Deck from E - Sultan Republic
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »

LauR

• Elite Member
It's also called the "Sultan," its quite all right to say yes a deck doesn't need to be all decked out as it were with metallic ink, or fancy designs, but when your essentially calling yourself king, I'd expect the theme to follow on with the name.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
-sigh-

What is it exactly that you guys don't like? There's so many comments about being disappointed, but so little explanation. Does every deck that's release have to have metallic, full-custom court cards and a crapload of gimmick features?

I already pretty much answered this, but I'll just emphasize that as competition increases in design, with more and more decks coming out with lots of customization, very intricate and beautiful designs, metallic ink and whatever else, the standard for decks is constantly being raised. I do appreciate a simple design (again some of my favorite decks include White Lions, Vintage Plaid, Bee Stingers, etc.).

It's really annoying to see that so many people say they're "disappointed" yet fail to see even the simplest details in a deck. You guys have been so stuffed with the big things that you don't see the subtlety anymore.

Maybe you'd like to point out some of these details that we so clearly missed? I'm not quite so sure what you mean by simple details in these decks since the Rebels/Sultans actually have pretty detailed back designs. You can put a lot of detail in a back design, but it can still feel uninspired.

A lot of times it does come down to personal taste, and I'll use the comparison of White Lions and Players as an example. The designs are very similar in style, and have a simple yet elegant feel to them. I wasn't a fan of the Players partially because there was too much blank space on the back design that made it feel empty. Also because there wasn't a ton of hype surrounding the deck that ended up being a letdown.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but at least try to have an educated one.

and lol at this. Who made you the expert on what constitutes good personal taste in a back design? Probably the most pretentious thing I've seen on these forums

Sr15, he does design work - do you?  He does have a clearer idea of the REASONS why a deck is or isn't well-defined.  Perhaps you're the one that's being pretentious?

When someone tosses out the idea that "metallic ink would make this better" - in what way would that make it better?  Should they have simply splattered it all over the place?  That statement is not an educated one.  The same applies to someone who simply tosses out that they're "disappointed" but doesn't say why.

Your opinion actually had some of the thought behind it that he was looking for, smartass.  You gave details for why you felt what you felt in terms of the design.

Make sure the next time you touch the keyboard with the intent of disrespecting someone in the community for no intelligent reason, shift your brain into drive for a few minutes first.  You'll find that you go much further and people will give a damn about what you're saying.  And if you think that's the most pretentious thing here, you haven't been around much, have you?

It's funny how correct sr15 is, you say there is no explanation of why we're not impressed by this deck then list the very reasons we stated, derp?

Your second argument is highly flawed, if individuals say they were "underwhelmed" or "disappointed," then clearly they did see the subtlety, but that it was too bland/simple. They recognise the deck is not too cluttered, not too outreaching, or subtle as you put it (which seems to be an incorrect use of the term as subtle implies there is an overall detail or theme being expressed by the lack of detail, which you do not mention or explain) but due to this are disappointed. furthermore, rather than a subtle design, the term simple may have been the more correct choice.

Furthermore, as sr15 has pointed out your final statement is hilarious. How do you have an educated opinion about a deck design. Are you meant to quote techniques used in the printing or design? Presumably not, as that would be a quite unreasonable and unrealistic. If anything, the opinions stated on this forums should be paid attention to by the big playing cards company as it is valuable first-hand feedback from their target market.

I'll that this a paragraph at a time.

First: allow me to quote you - AGAIN.

with a bit metallic ink back design this deck could've been much better.

Your sentence structure is atrocious.  I make the occasional typo but that sentence is incomplete as written.  But let's put that aside for now - in what way does adding metallic ink improve this deck's design?  Where would you add it?  What colors?  You give ZERO details, none.  We aren't mind readers, so we have no freakin' idea of what you're talking about, and not because it's somehow over our heads.

Second: someone who simply states they're "underwhelmed" or "disappointed" isn't necessarily saying they've seen a single iota of the design's subtlety.  And read this from Google Dictionary:

subtle - adj.
[/size][/color]
    • (esp. of a change or distinction) So delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe.
    • (of a mixture or effect) Delicately complex and understated.
    [/list]So before you complain or make statements about subtlety (or any other fifty-cent word), you might actually want to learn what it MEANS, first.  It has ZERO to do with a lack of detail, everything to do with understated complexity - it's practically the opposite of a lack of detail.  It implies greater, less obvious detail - so you really couldn't assume someone spotted that when they say nothing about it.

And finally, paragraph three.  The person you're talking about?  You have ZERO knowledge of who he is.  He actually does have some idea about design, seeing as how he's been putting together a deck of his own that looks great, based on the preliminary artwork.  So, he does in fact speak with authority rather than speaking out of his ass...

So far, you've added up to triple-zeroes...  And all the man was asking for was an actual, honest reason as to why people were so quick to pan the deck without offering a solid reason about why.

You know, Moon, I agree with that statement completely. I'm going to grant this deck has a nice back design and fronts but its nothing special and certainly not anything I'd rush out for. Adding to what you said, I'd like to bring up one important thing that no one has talked about or even considered. It's somewhat worrying. What I wanted to bring up was; HANDLING. Who here gives a flying caboodle? Honestly, does no one care? It's a trend I've noticed of late. Also, a deck, like Moon said, doesn't always have to have the whole bells and whistles on it with custom court cards and metallic inks. That 's what everybody focuses on. Take Aladdins and Arrcos for example, beautiful cards and they handle nicely, Yet they don't need all of those fandangled things. Sure, those things are nice, but not exactly aesthetically necessary. Just my 10 cents worth on the topic...

It's not that people don't care about the handling as much as it is that the handling of a pack straight out of the box is almost uniformly good on any USPC-made deck.  It's one of the reasons why I find so many deck reviews a bit lacking, especially when one is opening the deck for the first time on camera and calling it a "review" of the deck when it can truly only cover the design.  Use it daily for two weeks and then tell me how it performs.

No offense to you - I find yours to be among the better ones.  Well edited, informed opinions, you recognize that we can read the box so you don't have to go into detail on that, and it's blessedly short.

It's also called the "Sultan," its quite all right to say yes a deck doesn't need to be all decked out as it were with metallic ink, or fancy designs, but when your essentially calling yourself king, I'd expect the theme to follow on with the name.

In what way?  What would you do, if anything, to express that idea?  Show the thinking behind your idea.  "Sultan" may be synonymous to "king", but it's not entirely identical, in the same way that Elizabeth II isn't called "Her Royal Highness, the Sultaness".  So, beyond the yet-to-be-specified application of metallic ink, what would you do?
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:43:34 AM by Don Boyer »
    Card Illusionist, NYC Area
    Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
    Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
    Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
    Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
    I agree with KPopFever605 on his review of the deck features. Although, considering the theme referenced, I was expecting this deck to be much brighter.

Dark color decks and expensive tuck boxes seem to be a trend, anyway.

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran

Sr15, he does design work - do you?  He does have a clearer idea of the REASONS why a deck is or isn't well-defined.  Perhaps you're the one that's being pretentious?

in an area as subjective as card design, I really don't think being a designer of a deck automatically makes you any more or less qualified to make statements on what makes a deck appealing to people. Same reason that someone who puts out an album doesn't get to make pretentious comments about other's taste in music. And I'm not the one who started insulting people by implying that their opinions weren't "educated" enough.

When someone tosses out the idea that "metallic ink would make this better" - in what way would that make it better?  Should they have simply splattered it all over the place?  That statement is not an educated one.  The same applies to someone who simply tosses out that they're "disappointed" but doesn't say why

I personally don't really care for metallic ink, but as others have mentioned (including myself), the design really feels uninspired and maybe something like metallic ink would've made it stand out more. I don't think it would have and it probably needs a more interesting design, but as I said before the card industry is getting more and more competitive and the standards for a deck are always being raised.

Your opinion actually had some of the thought behind it that he was looking for, smartass.  You gave details for why you felt what you felt in terms of the design.

I guess I am kind of repeating myself at this point. If you're seriously going to call me a smartass because I replied to a comment calling me uneducated then I don't think this discussion is going to go much further.

Make sure the next time you touch the keyboard with the intent of disrespecting someone in the community for no intelligent reason, shift your brain into drive for a few minutes first.  You'll find that you go much further and people will give a damn about what you're saying.  And if you think that's the most pretentious thing here, you haven't been around much, have you?

Funny how I'm accused of disrespecting someone who blatantly called me uneducated. And yes I am somewhat new here but that really doesn't excuse it, does it? If you want to single out that one comment and for the most part ignore the rest of my post, I can't really do anything about that.

He actually does have some idea about design, seeing as how he's been putting together a deck of his own that looks great, based on the preliminary artwork.  So, he does in fact speak with authority rather than speaking out of his ass...

and just to address this point, I get that you're siding with the member who has been here longer and may have more credibility in your eyes. I understand that. However, even if he had already released a deck, which he has not, it does not give him more authority to speak on design quality over anyone else.
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:11:00 PM by sr15 »

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
    Wait...let me get my popcorn :P  Okay continue....

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 01:12:09 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
    I just simply dont like the deck. I dont have any specific reasons really I just dont like the design the theme or anything. The back reminds me too much of monarchs the colors used dont work very well together and the pips IMO are pretty ugly. I think they could have done alot more and alot better with this idea and I was expecting alot more.
    People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 02:41:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
    • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I guess I am kind of repeating myself at this point. If you're seriously going to call me a smartass because I replied to a comment calling me uneducated then I don't think this discussion is going to go much further..

Oh, bloody hell...

You do realize that he never called you uneducated, right?  That he was referring to the comments that were negative but had nothing to add as to why?  UNLIKE yours, which I TRIED pointing out to you but you obviously missed?  And he didn't even refer to the people in question so much as the opinions offered?  And that is not the same thing? ? ?

Just re-read what he wrote...hopefully you'll see it and understand it.

I just simply dont like the deck. I dont have any specific reasons really I just dont like the design the theme or anything. The back reminds me too much of monarchs the colors used dont work very well together and the pips IMO are pretty ugly. I think they could have done alot more and alot better with this idea and I was expecting alot more.

For someone without "any specific reasons", you sure managed to express a few of them rather nicely.  :))
    « Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:42:54 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 04:18:18 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
    yeah...I'm not buying that, specifically when he first said that people who weren't liking the deck "were failing to see the simplest details" and then followed it up with that comment. That obviously wasn't just referring to the people who didn't explain why they didn't like the deck. I'll let moon clarify if he wants, but don't speak for him. Either way I don't really feel like arguing this anymore. It's mostly subjective and E will sell a bunch of these decks anyway. I don't like them, some people do.

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
    • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
    yeah...I'm not buying that, specifically when he first said that people who weren't liking the deck "were failing to see the simplest details" and then followed it up with that comment. That obviously wasn't just referring to the people who didn't explain why they didn't like the deck. I'll let moon clarify if he wants, but don't speak for him. Either way I don't really feel like arguing this anymore. It's mostly subjective and E will sell a bunch of these decks anyway. I don't like them, some people do.

Fair enough.  I'll probably get two, no more.  It's nice enough but not something I'd make a mainstay of my working deck collection, though I have to admit, the diagonal lines in many of the pips does lend it a certain three-dimensional look.

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »

kcaso

I feel you all may change your mind when you get them in hand. They're simply beautiful.

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »

thanamagic

• MW

• YouTube:
    It is not limited so i will wait for the promotions that they probably will do such as black friday,  Christmas ,ect. i will not be a pray for a very cleaver strategy of having to see what the ''discover something major and rare.'' i can wait.

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
    • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
    It is not limited so i will wait for the promotions that they probably will do such as black friday,  Christmas ,ect. i will not be a pray for a very cleaver strategy of having to see what the ''discover something major and rare.'' i can wait.
    It looks like there are 2 secret things in the deck. I figured out one and it's not a big deal. I'm passing on it.

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
    It looks like there are 2 secret things in the deck. I figured out one and it's not a big deal. I'm passing on it.
    Are you going to share that thing?
    People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2012, 12:05:28 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
    • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
    Umm... no.. Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of it being a secret? I'm sure that if Ellusionist wanted people who didn't buy the deck, to have access to the secret things, then they'd do so.

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 02:00:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
    • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
    Umm... no.. Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of it being a secret? I'm sure that if Ellusionist wanted people who didn't buy the deck, to have access to the secret things, then they'd do so.

Hey, it could be like that children's book, "Masquerade", or David Blaine's "Mysterious Stranger" - there may be a contest involved with a treasure hunt in the cards or something!

If that was the case, I'd want to be keeping the secrets to myself as well!

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »

kcaso

I found out the one Evan is talking about. There's something else too. SO COOL!

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 01:45:48 PM »

kcaso

I just ordered mine  :D

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
    • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
    The other cool, rare thing is truly awesome. I definitely recommend that people buy the sultan deck just to have access to the rare thing.

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2012, 11:11:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
    • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
    The other cool, rare thing is truly awesome. I definitely recommend that people buy the sultan deck just to have access to the rare thing.

Not too vague, are we?  :))

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2012, 05:48:08 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
    • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Not too vague, are we?  :))

Not much I'd have to admit ;)

I feel you all may change your mind when you get them in hand. They're simply beautiful.

I've have to say, they certainly grow on you. It was Daniel Madison, I swear. I haven't bought these either.
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:48:54 AM by Joker and the Thief »
    Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »

kcaso

Has anyone else found the treasure?

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2012, 05:20:47 AM »

securechanger

Has anyone else found the treasure?

Just keep the treasure , I already done with that.

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
    • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
    Well, guess what, If the Treasury deck being rare isn't enough, the current Sultan Republic deck will become "rare" as well, and we'll probably see a V2 some time in the future.

Here's what was written on facebook:
    There's a running joke that Ellusionist makes more Limited decks by accident then we do by design. It's funny - because it's actually true. After listening to customer feedback, working with our designers and speaking to USPCC, we have decided to redesign the Sultan Republic deck. From the back design, to the box - even the name, the Sultan Republic deck just became the next in Ellusionist Limited Decks - with only 10,000 printed. We've already sold through over half that stock, so if you haven't yet picked up a deck (or three) - you'd better get in soon. Once our currents stocks are depleted, they will never be reprinted again.

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
    • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
    Well, guess what, If the Treasury deck being rare isn't enough, the current Sultan Republic deck will become "rare" as well, and we'll probably see a V2 some time in the future.

Here's what was written on facebook:
    There's a running joke that Ellusionist makes more Limited decks by accident then we do by design. It's funny - because it's actually true. After listening to customer feedback, working with our designers and speaking to USPCC, we have decided to redesign the Sultan Republic deck. From the back design, to the box - even the name, the Sultan Republic deck just became the next in Ellusionist Limited Decks - with only 10,000 printed. We've already sold through over half that stock, so if you haven't yet picked up a deck (or three) - you'd better get in soon. Once our currents stocks are depleted, they will never be reprinted again.

It's the same thing that happened to the V1 blue Artifice.  It's just a discontinued deck.  It'll be rare only in the sense that no more are being made and only a moderately low number were made.  At 10,000 decks, the aftermarket price increase is not likely to be more than a speed bump when they're gone.