New Deck: Human Disaster Deck/Safety Playing Cards

Author (Read 772 times)

New Deck: Human Disaster Deck/Safety Playing Cards
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »

ItsMagicITellYou~

• True Member
hey guys :) so i was chilling on another forum when i found these:

http://www.indiegogo.com/safetyplayingcards?c=home

now, i absofrickinlutely LOVE this deck. I mean, apart from maybe the charity water cards t11 introduced, there havent been many cards released for a definite CAUSE. sure, they may not be ideal for magic or cardistry but it's just such a unique, almost controversial idea. I really hope these get funded and i hope you guys like them as much as i do :D

Re: New Deck: Human Disaster Deck/Safety Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »

max

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I love almost every deck of cards but this seems ugly to me...

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »

ItsMagicITellYou~

• True Member
its not supposed to be a pretty deck :p its just shedding some light on situations and events that have happened violating human rights.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »

joeprole

• Newcomer
Hey, I made these cards... and the campaign is my attempt to print them.

Thanks for the mention... it'smagicitellyou saw them when I posted them elsewhere.

Max - I quite understand they are quite 'different' and all opinions are going to be quite subjective (you're not the only person I know who doesn't like them but I know many people who do like them and have encouraged me to put them up to try and get them printed...)...

The art work was made first and I didn't know what to do with it... I've worked on playing cards before though and my decision to put them on cards was based on the idea that it plays on the idea of evil stemming from normality... I wanted to put them on cards to offset the subject against the normally entertaining factor of card games/magic tricks/etc.

I suppose, in that way, it's more of an 'art project' than pure graphic design...

Anyway, anyone else... please support the campaign to print them if you can and/or spread the word about them if you like them and 'get' the idea.

Thanks for the mention again :)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey, I made these cards... and the campaign is my attempt to print them.

Thanks for the mention... it'smagicitellyou saw them when I posted them elsewhere.

Max - I quite understand they are quite 'different' and all opinions are going to be quite subjective (you're not the only person I know who doesn't like them but I know many people who do like them and have encouraged me to put them up to try and get them printed...)...

The art work was made first and I didn't know what to do with it... I've worked on playing cards before though and my decision to put them on cards was based on the idea that it plays on the idea of evil stemming from normality... I wanted to put them on cards to offset the subject against the normally entertaining factor of card games/magic tricks/etc.

I suppose, in that way, it's more of an 'art project' than pure graphic design...

Anyway, anyone else... please support the campaign to print them if you can and/or spread the word about them if you like them and 'get' the idea.

Thanks for the mention again :)

Consider a book to accompany the project.  It can be a "making of" book, but you can toss in the reasons behind the deck and the individual images chosen, some other images that were under consideration but didn't make it (and why), things along those lines.  It would work well with the deck, perhaps even raising enough to allow you to make a second deck...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
First of all, welcome to the forums. I also love the idea of the deck and the way it is executed. What I think would be a bit nicer is to have artwork that depicts the scene with more detail so that the message would be more powerful.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »

joeprole

• Newcomer
Hey Don and Nathan,

First... I'd definitely consider doing more with the artwork beyond this deck. Like I said before, the deck is an idea as a concept... to put something terrible on something that's everyday... but I'd consider re-producing the work for a book or similar (with more detail) at a later date. Right now though, the focus is on the deck alone...

Thanks for your interest anyway, please consider supporting the project and spreading the word :)

Joe