You are Here:
Your favorite borderless cards

Author (Read 10151 times)

Re: Your favorite borderless cards
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »

DarrylDavis

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
This turned into quite the discussion!! I think my definition of borderless is very similar to Dons. I really think there should be more cards like the vintage plaid and the steamboats. But then again how creative can you be with those kind of patterns before they start to look the same. As someone said before, even the vintage plaids aren't a completely original design.

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Well then if that's the case I barely know any. Oh, and Don that was a typo. Do you think theres a word referring to the type of cards I used to consider borderless?

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Oh, we forgot about the Karnival Hornet Playing Cards! The are borderless as well.

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »

DelMagic

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
It's interesting that I had changed my post and choice from Seronda to the Artifice V1 almost immediately after posting it. Before reading Nathan's comment, I came to the conclusionthat people probably wouldn't consider it a borderless card. And my post, which was barely up for 30-seconds has been copied quite a few times. It just goes to show the memory of internet.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 11:57:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well then if that's the case I barely know any. Oh, and Don that was a typo. Do you think theres a word referring to the type of cards I used to consider borderless?

Well, they're still printed into the bleed, but that simply means they have a colored border, or that if the entire back is predominantly a single color, it's a (name color here) deck.

Artifice V1 - blue or red design on a black-bordered back
Artifice V2 - blue or green design on a white-bordered back
Arcane - black deck (for the black one), white deck (for the white one).

The only nit-picking difference I see would be for the decks that don't have a clearly defined border.  White Arcane decks don't really have a clearly defined border on their backs, though there is space between the edge of the paper and the edge of the back design.  So the Ghost deck would be a white deck with a white border, and the Black Ghost deck would be a black deck with a black border - they're based on the Rider Back, which has a clearly defined border.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Oh, we forgot about the Karnival Hornet Playing Cards! The are borderless as well.
the topic is asking for your favorite borderless playing cards and not asking you to identify any borderless cards

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 12:38:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
the topic is asking for your favorite borderless playing cards and not asking you to identify any borderless cards

In order to call a deck borderless, you need to know what "borderless" means in a real sense.

I'm pretty fond of the Vintage Plaids for some bizarre reason.  I think it has less to do with being borderless and more to do with being vintage in appearance.  They do look like the sort of deck my grandpa would've been playing with on a camping trip.

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 02:04:37 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Don... I think the Vintage Plaids are great... I love the throwback to the early 1900s Bicycle Arizona Backs and Steamboat Backs as well... I have a quite a few vintage decks with the same plaid as the new and flawless handling Vintage D&D Plaid Decks... so Hear Hear...

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen

In order to call a deck borderless, you need to know what "borderless" means in a real sense.

I'm pretty fond of the Vintage Plaids for some bizarre reason.  I think it has less to do with being borderless and more to do with being vintage in appearance.  They do look like the sort of deck my grandpa would've been playing with on a camping trip.
does that mean the karnival hornets deck are not borderless?

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 02:56:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

does that mean the karnival hornets deck are not borderless?

Did you read what you just quoted?  YES, they're borderless!  They have a patterned back whose pattern extends into the bleed area, past where the card gets cut from the sheet.  They're just like Diamond Back Bees in that sense.  In fact, the Hornets were the first paper deck from BBM to be styled more after Bees than Bikes, right down to the use of Bee stock.  Only two other BBM decks didn't have the Bicycle name: Karnival Dose v1 (which was renamed to Bicycle Karnival Dose Redux for v2) and Karnival Death Heads (which weren't made in Erlanger but instead at Fournier's plant in Vitoria, Spain).