• Discourse Veteran
UC

Re: Spar playing cards
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think he meant that the ebay price at 57$ is cheap comparing to 120$ in the link he found.

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
I think he meant that the ebay price at 57$ is cheap comparing to 120$ in the link he found.

Oh yes, that makes sense, my apologies to you Daniel and thanks phantom1412 :)
UC

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

No need to apologize, I just wanna help clearing things up.

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's pretty cheap compared to the price here
http://www.magiccastle.com.sg/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3373&category_id=28&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Cheap? Thanks for the link but I dont think 120 usd is pretty cheap for one deck.

I don't know where this $120 price comes from.  It was listed at SGD135, which is under US$109 at current rates.  Was is listed at SGD120 previous to the current price at the time they sold out?

If you ask me, either price is too high.  Even US$57 on eBay is too high.  Someone's targeting deep-pocketed collectors with this one, that's for certain.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:36:34 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 04:08:28 AM »

Daniel

• That's unexpected O.o That's what she said, kinda

• Facebook:

I don't know where this $120 price comes from.  It was listed at SGD135, which is under US$109 at current rates.  Was is listed at SGD120 previous to the current price at the time they sold out?

If you ask me, either price is too high.  Even US$57 on eBay is too high.  Someone's targeting deep-pocketed collectors with this one, that's for certain.

I think he meant that the price without the member discount is US$120.

Haha it's ok:)

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 04:27:09 AM »

junjie04

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
LOL, Saying the deck is expensive is ridiculous... Buy a air ticket and fly there to attend the lecture then, you will only get one frikkin deck.
People are selling it to help subsided part of the lecture fee. I don't see the reason why people are angry for that price.

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 05:58:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
LOL, Saying the deck is expensive is ridiculous... Buy a air ticket and fly there to attend the lecture then, you will only get one frikkin deck.
People are selling it to help subsided part of the lecture fee. I don't see the reason why people are angry for that price.

I don't know if angry would be the right phrase for it, but it's a lot of money for about 3.3 ounces of paper...  People toss around the word "rare" a lot in this hobby these days and it's becoming more and more meaningless with each passing release.  Nothing compels me to want to spend more than a small fraction of the price these decks appear to be going for on eBay and elsewhere.  They're simply not exceptional enough in my mind to justify that price - "rare" alone is no longer enough.  I have rare decks up to my armpits!

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
im up for any  if anyone can grab a hold of these

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »

xlacs

• Forum Regular
http://www.magiccastle.com.sg/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3373&category_id=28&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

I wonder how did this shop get so many decks? I thought it was limited to one per person at his shows. Would love to get this deck but not really actively seeking it out.

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »

wiepie

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Couple hours ago somebody at FB ( Asiamagicshop ) sell it for USD 65  and USD 90 for signed deck.
They claimed they have 100 decks of it.
But now only left less than 12 signed deck available......
That's crazy.... !!

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2012, 11:45:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I wonder how did this shop get so many decks? I thought it was limited to one per person at his shows. Would love to get this deck but not really actively seeking it out.

Couple hours ago somebody at FB ( Asiamagicshop ) sell it for USD 65  and USD 90 for signed deck.
They claimed they have 100 decks of it.
But now only left less than 12 signed deck available......
That's crazy.... !!

Gang, this whole "limited edition" nonsense is what this is all about.  It's crazy what people are willing to pay for a short-run deck, ANY short-run deck, in this market, as long as it's made by a certain person or company.  And $25 extra for an autograph is highway robbery in this market.

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
That's it! All 100 of the decks are now sold out!

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2012, 01:37:48 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

not even magic8000 was selling these. :(
weird. But yeah I still can't find it. Oh well. but I am keeping my eyes peeled for any decks. I even asked my Step Mother if she has any friends from kaixin who might know about it. so far none. :(

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

weird. But yeah I still can't find it. Oh well. but I am keeping my eyes peeled for any decks. I even asked my Step Mother if she has any friends from kaixin who might know about it. so far none. :(

I wouldn't go too crazy, really.  This deck isn't all that the hype makes it out to be, in my opinion.

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:25 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

I wouldn't go too crazy, really.  This deck isn't all that the hype makes it out to be, in my opinion.

I guess so. But anyway, still keeping my eyes peeled. :P

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2012, 04:37:25 AM »

ally_tac

• Newcomer
I played around with it. The quality is great, I think Tally-Ho paper stock is used for this deck.

I was told that the deck will be made available to his fans when he does his full evening show in Hong Kong this month.

However, I think the chance of these decks being available online for sale is very slim.

FYI, Lu Chen is not just famous magician, but more a super pop star kind of magician in greater China area, he has over 2 million fans following him on chinese version of Twitter.

For as little as 5000 decks, I bet his Hong Kong fans can take that much right on spot after his show.

If you don't live in Hong Kong then ... perhaps the only way to get them is wait for some of his fans resale them on eBay.
I used it for a while, it feels like black sealed bicycle 808. I think the spar deck is made for luchen's fans and collectors, not for magic or flourish.
BTW, I like your black/white gold sealed new fan back playing cards. :D

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »

Zenneth

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I think Spar is okay for card magic, but probably too soft for card flourishes.

Thanks for your nice words on New Fan Back.

When I placed order at USPC for New Fan Back decks, I made it very clear about the few problems that I encountered with some of their decks. At the time, some of their decks were totally unfannable (black seal Tally Ho, green arrco etc...), or too thin (rider...I think they still are very thin these days). I remember I was shooting for a DVD with a newly opened rider deck, I ran through my patter while holding the deck in left hand dealing grip, when I back into action, the bottom card already magically bent on its own!

So I requested specifically for thicker paper stock and finish to make sure New Fan Back are fannable, springy and ideal for card flourishes,
and I wish for a hand feel of Dr. Leon decks.

I was very nervous about the quality of the decks until the several randomly picked decks from different grosses all fulfilled my expectation.

Still, the hand feel are slightly different between White and Black New Fan Back...so I come down to a conclusion about this, even USPC themselves couldn't duplicate the exact hand feel of their particular deck.
Amour Playing Cards & Amour Magic Collection
www.Coterie1902.com

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think Spar is okay for card magic, but probably too soft for card flourishes.

Thanks for your nice words on New Fan Back.

When I placed order at USPC for New Fan Back decks, I made it very clear about the few problems that I encountered with some of their decks. At the time, some of their decks were totally unfannable (black seal Tally Ho, green arrco etc...), or too thin (rider...I think they still are very thin these days). I remember I was shooting for a DVD with a newly opened rider deck, I ran through my patter while holding the deck in left hand dealing grip, when I back into action, the bottom card already magically bent on its own!

So I requested specifically for thicker paper stock and finish to make sure New Fan Back are fannable, springy and ideal for card flourishes,
and I wish for a hand feel of Dr. Leon decks.

I was very nervous about the quality of the decks until the several randomly picked decks from different grosses all fulfilled my expectation.

Still, the hand feel are slightly different between White and Black New Fan Back...so I come down to a conclusion about this, even USPC themselves couldn't duplicate the exact hand feel of their particular deck.

I know what you mean regarding card quality and consistency.  Bicycle cards went to a thinner stock last year, 300gsm, because of issues they were having with the finish.

As far as the difference between the black and white New Fan Backs, it's easy to understand - the black deck requires more ink, which soaks into the stock and affects the handling.

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 06:26:23 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
No one here bought these to do some reviews and take some pictures?

On another note, mr Fulton don't seem too happy about Lu Chen stealing their design. He wrote this on his twitter:

It's sad when people hit the "copy button" and feel satisfied.  #ripoff #PirateCulture #Lazy http://t.co/hEQcJNJG
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:29:02 AM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »

DeckOfCards

• Discourse Veteran
I just dont understand why Buck twins and Mr. Fulton called it a Rip-off. It's designed by si-scott and most of si-scott's designs are the same http://www.siscottstudio.com/

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I just dont understand why Buck twins and Mr. Fulton called it a Rip-off. It's designed by si-scott and most of si-scott's designs are the same http://www.siscottstudio.com/

Because the designer of spar deck isnt "si scott".
It's just shameless people copied almost everything from SM deck and even the designer name. "Si Scoot" <---- Read carefully. Its not a typo.

I'm never a fan of Lu Chen and its a bit dissapointing me, seeing he accepted the design.

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »

junjie04

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

Because the designer of spar deck isnt "si scott".
It's just shameless people copied almost everything from SM deck and even the designer name. "Si Scoot" <---- Read carefully. Its not a typo.

I'm never a fan of Lu Chen and its a bit dissapointing me, seeing he accepted the design.

When i posted that, I just copied what was on facebook and apparently,i was wrong, even Kenneth Kok confirm that this is designed by Si Scott.

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Then how do you explain the reason why brad fulton tweet like that?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:28:36 AM by phantom1412 »