Author (Read 24239 times)

Re: De'vo Blades: Blood Metal Edition
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2012, 03:37:51 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
well here is what he said to me on facebook:
Aaron - we're not sure if they will handle like normal gilded decks or better. It's one of the first decks being done with the magic finish + gilding. We went ahead and made the high performance Blood Edition without gilding so people that wanted performance would have it for sure. Then we made the gilded the "collector's" Edition assuming they won't be as good. So assume the Blood Metals will be like the other gilded decks, and if they perform better, then you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have never used a gilt deck I just have heard that the handling isn`t so good. Does anyone have any gilded edge decks? If so how do they handle?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:41:12 PM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've handled gilt-edged bridge decks as a kid.  The gilding flakes off and gets on everything, and they're not very smooth to play with - I can't imagine they're good for magic or cardistry.  Here's an interesting rule of thumb to apply to gauge the potential handling: how many videos of magicians and cardists have you seen where they use gilded cards?

I'll grant there may be a different with the Magic Finish - but likely only if they apply it to the edges of the card.

De'vo sounds like he's hedging a bit.  He knows they're not going to handle well, so he's trying to say they're a collector's deck and comparing them more to other gilded decks rather than other non-gilded decks.  They could be the best-handling gilded deck ever made - but since most gilded decks handle like crap, it's not a difficult benchmark to surpass.

I'll probably get them anyway, just because it will be the first gilded Magic Finish and it should handle at least differently if not better, or if nothing else, they'll be good for solitaire.  I just expect to hear a lot of people complaining about them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I'm terrified that if I get one of these decks, I will accidentally farro them and destroy the glit edges.  That's why I won't open them if I get a deck or two, since I farro without thinking.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2012, 01:25:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm terrified that if I get one of these decks, I will accidentally farro them and destroy the glit edges.  That's why I won't open them if I get a deck or two, since I farro without thinking.

I doubt that would be a problem.  The gilding is painted on to the card edge.

Try taking some thick housepaint and individually paint the edges of every card in a deck with a fine brush.  Then tell me when they've dried whether you can even begin to faro them together...

The ability to faro depends on, among other things, the angle of the edge cut.  The cut gets completely obliterated when it's painted over with metallic paint.  You'd stand a better chance of faro shuffling two muffins together...

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2012, 07:07:20 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

I doubt that would be a problem.  The gilding is painted on to the card edge.

Try taking some thick housepaint and individually paint the edges of every card in a deck with a fine brush.  Then tell me when they've dried whether you can even begin to faro them together...

The ability to faro depends on, among other things, the angle of the edge cut.  The cut gets completely obliterated when it's painted over with metallic paint.  You'd stand a better chance of faro shuffling two muffins together...
Ok, thanks. I was just going by what I've heard people say about gilded edges, and how the paint would get destroyed if they tried to faro. Even though you say they can't faro, I still fear I will be watching tv, not be paying attention, and I will try to force the cards to faro, and realize what a mistake I've made, which is kinda making me nervous about this.

But whatever, I still may (and probably will) buy some to try them out for my first gilded edge deck.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
if i get the gilided it will only be for my collection, up opened.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ohh just chiming in on the discussion form a day or two ago about the stolen decks from USPCC...

My Brimstones and 5 other high profile decks were leaked and on ebay before I even got mine in the mail.  The ebayer said she 'got them from a friend'. and removed them without the sale ending.  I email USPCC about this and got a response from the Sales Director and said the person was removed.  This better not happen with the Americana or any other deck we release in the future.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Ohh just chiming in on the discussion form a day or two ago about the stolen decks from USPCC...

My Brimstones and 5 other high profile decks were leaked and on ebay before I even got mine in the mail.  The ebayer said she 'got them from a friend'. and removed them without the sale ending.  I email USPCC about this and got a response from the Sales Director and said the person was removed.  This better not happen with the Americana or any other deck we release in the future.

Dang, sounds like a reoccurring problem! They should get that all sorted out. Simply bad news bears for everybody
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

That is retarded. The USPCC needs to keep this stuff checked. I can understand if someone takes a deck to use for themself, if that isnt bad enough they try to sell these decks!

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I just can't understand this disrespect people have! No love for the work put into certain decks! Well they got punished and lost their jobs for a couple bucks! Nonetheless this is really scary!

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2012, 03:12:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It happens in any industry that makes a product of some kind.  The term for it is "shrinkage" in retail.

Security at USPC is not as great as they'd like people to think it is.  If two guys competing in the 2011 WSOP Championship can pay a USPC employee to print the tournament cards with hidden markings, that's when you really need to step back and ask yourself what kind of Keystone Kops they have monitoring their employees.  Who remembers that uncut sheet of marked Split Spades Lions that went up for sale on eBay and quickly got yanked?

Does the fine print of a USPC contract to make your deck include clauses that absolve them of liability if your decks (in any form) get stolen off the line and sold?

Archduke Cards is looking like a more attractive alternative by the day...  :))

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:15 AM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
These decks will be available individually for $5.99, or you can get them in our variety pack which will include 1 Blades Blood Edition, 1 Blades Blood Metal Edition, and 1 Pro ******* deck for a possible $19.99, and double variety pack (6 decks) for $39.99 Prices are not final and always subject to change." - De'vo

The variety pack costs more than the individual decks combined.

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2012, 04:36:30 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
@Don: I'm not going to devulge the details of the USPCC contract, but at least the one I got was very short. About three pages, with very little fine print and very few clauses.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2012, 05:00:52 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
These decks will be available individually for $5.99, or you can get them in our variety pack which will include 1 Blades Blood Edition, 1 Blades Blood Metal Edition, and 1 Pro ******* deck for a possible $19.99, and double variety pack (6 decks) for $39.99 Prices are not final and always subject to change." - De'vo

The variety pack costs more than the individual decks combined.

And the double variety pack costs more than 2 variety packs (only a penny but still, bad maths).

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Wait, the varity box costs more. Is there a list of all of these deck prices, because at about $11 For Blood Metal, about $6 for Blood, and $6 for April Fool's, it seems like its a better value, and I not, it's most likely very close.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Can someone make a list of all the decks released by De'vo please? I don't own any and barely know anything about them...  ;D

« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2012, 01:38:23 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Can someone make a list of all the decks released by De'vo please? I don't own any and barely know anything about them...  ;D
I may be missing some, but:
-Blades Silver (1st and 2nd Run)
-Blades white edition
-Blades Midnight Edition

These are all the decks that I found on his website that have been released.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Wait, the varity box costs more. Is there a list of all of these deck prices, because at about $11 For Blood Metal, about $6 for Blood, and $6 for April Fool's, it seems like its a better value, and I not, it's most likely very close.
Blood Metal is $11.99, Blood is $5.99, and April Fools is $5.99. Together, thats $24. The Variety Pack is $4 cheaper which may not seem like much money, its a great deal!

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:02 PM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
Blood Metal is $11.99, Blood is $5.99, and April Fools is $5.99. Together, thats $24. The Variety Pack is $4 cheaper which may not seem like much money, its a great deal!
Ah, I totally forgot that Blood Metal was $11.99! The variety pack for $19.99 sounds like a much better deal!

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I'm planning on getting two of the variety packs!! Like MA said it's a good deal. Four bucks off isn't bad at all!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I might pick up a variety pack depending on the shipping price..

« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@Don: I'm not going to devulge the details of the USPCC contract, but at least the one I got was very short. About three pages, with very little fine print and very few clauses.

I don't need details - I'm just curious if a designer's work is protected from theft under the contract in any way, or if it's USPC that gets the protection instead.

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
if i worked with USPCC i would never sell a deck that was leaked, thats asking to be fired.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
De'Vo's releases and the Harlequin are the releases I am most looking forward to in the next few months. Also the Seasons.

I really hope the Metals have good handling, I have never handled a gilded deck but these will look good anyway.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:30:10 PM by Aaron »

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2012, 12:06:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
De'Vo's releases and the Harlequin are the releases I am most looking forward to in the next few months. Also the Seasons.

I really hope the Metals have good handling, I have never handled a gilded deck but these will look good anyway.

I wouldn't count on good handling from the Metal version.  De'vo himself was hedging about how it would handle, basically saying that while it won't handle as well as some non-gilded decks, it'll handle better than other metal-edged decks out there.  But since those metal-edged decks by and large handle terribly, it's rather faint praise.  It's like saying your dog is cleaner than any of the pigs in the sty; you still wouldn't let it in the house unless you had a look for yourself, would you?  The statement is essentially meaningless in terms of evaluating the deck's handling.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:07:49 AM by Don Boyer »