Re: De'vo Blades: Blood Metal Edition
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
i heard he was thinking of doing a 3 pack special bloods, special, and april fools deck so i might get that.
Thats a smart idea. But as a collector, it wouldn't be for me. I like to use one or two and have one or two sealed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:30:55 AM by MagicAddictz »

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
These look really awesome! But if the regular bloods look the same with a different box I will just get some of those.

The cards aren't 100% the same.  Blood Metal have silver-painted edges which De'vo claims don't negatively affect the deck's handling properties like most painted-edge decks do.
Damn, now I might need a couple :-\
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 12:34:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
i heard he was thinking of doing a 3 pack special bloods, special, and april fools deck so i might get that.
Thats a smart idea. But as a collector, it would be for me. I like to use one or two and have one or two sealed.

Would or wouldn't?

I think it's excellent, particularly if there's a discount involved.  I'd get two of those, for sure.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 01:21:07 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I know I won't be getting anything from De'vo himself anytime soon, and since the decks are limited, that probably means no blades at all for me, but I definitely want to hear from you guys about how the painted edges affect performance. Please keep us updated on that!
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 01:46:43 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
the only thing about buying the blades is that I don`t like De`Vo as a person. Like that comment on Alex`s Harlequins, WTF is that about. IDK I think they are going to be really nice though.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
the only thing about buying the blades is that I don`t like De`Vo as a person. Like that comment on Alex`s Harlequins, WTF is that about. IDK I think they are going to be really nice though.

I could see some refusing to buy in protest - I've not had any first-hand experience but the scuttlebutt is that he's a real ass and lacking in interpersonal skills.

What are some of the things you've heard about him?

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 02:33:07 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I have just heard pretty much that he doesn`t respect other magicians and thinks he is #1. idk if it is an act he is doing and he doesn`t mean the stuff he says or if he really is an ignorant asshole.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 03:02:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have just heard pretty much that he doesn`t respect other magicians and thinks he is #1. idk if it is an act he is doing and he doesn`t mean the stuff he says or if he really is an ignorant asshole.

Yeah, it seems he's got a stick up his butt about the kind of treatment he received from magicians when he first tried making cardistry (or as he loves calling it, Xtreme Card Manipulation, or XCM) a separate art from magic.  I still remember that art print he made with all the cardists and magicians locked in mortal combat on some medieval battlefield, and the magicians getting defeated.  Overkill...  If he was wise, he'd get over it, be the bigger man and move on already.  I guess wisdom doesn't grow on trees after all...  :))

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 05:12:54 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Actually many of my friends are big fans of de'vo, if you guys ever noticed the 06-07 XCM Champion was a Taiwanese. I ever tried to tell them something I heard from the net, but soon I found my life was in danger and had to stop the topic immediately. hahaha  :P :P

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 05:27:34 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
That is exactly why I don't plan on buying any. Seeing how he deleted my comment that was an honest question, his lovely comment on the harlequin back, and his general cockiness, he's just the kind of guy I don't feel like encouraging with my money. :P
Besides, it's not like the quality of his decks can't be found anywhere else - they're modern USPC decks, all you need is the right stock and finish and you got yourself the same thing in a different design. But he would never admit this if you asked. ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:28:35 AM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
I haven't had too much working with him personally. However, when I asked him about getting some of his cards he was very generous. Thus, I can only go off of what I know personally, and what I know personally is that he is a decent dude who does what he does and doesn't pay much mind outside of that. 8)
Magical as Sin!

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I haven't had too much working with him personally. However, when I asked him about getting some of his cards he was very generous. Thus, I can only go off of what I know personally, and what I know personally is that he is a decent dude who does what he does and doesn't pay much mind outside of that. 8)

He is good to his fans, really. So I pretend to be his fan when I need something from him  :P :P :P

I don't have any Silver Blades now, but when I bought 3 bricks from him, I asked him to sign on the whole brick of 12 decks (all boxes, jokers, blank face cards, and AoS. In other words, he had to sign 5 times for a deck)  ??? ???

I guess that's why he then announced on the website: 2 signatures at most for one brick ;D

_
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:15:27 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:

He is good to his fans, really. So I pretend to be his fan when I need something from him  :P :P :P

I don't have any Silver Blades now, but when I bought 3 bricks from him, I asked him to sign on the whole brick of 12 decks (all boxes, jokers, blank face cards, and AoS. In other words, he had to sign 5 times for a deck)  ??? ???

I guess that's why he then announced on the website: 2 signatures at most for one brick ;D

_

Did he go through with that?
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity

Yes, don't forget I was a big fan of him (at least he thought I was). :P

I bought not only 3 bricks of the Silver Blades, but also 2 of his Blade Clips (limited to 50 and sold out before they're announced to the public). I looked like a super fan from any angle of view. Besides, originally they were not familiar with the shipping methods and the international shipping was VERY VERY expensive (as expensive as D&D, the postage was decided by the shopping system and really unreasonable), I taught them how to use Medium/Large Flat Rate Boxes to ship internationally so that buyers may save much money (and that's why I got partial refund twice).
_
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:19:04 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I wasn't around for his whole 'battlefield' debacle so I can only go on what I've seen; the whole 'Xtreme' nonsense (I hate that more than you'll ever know), talking about 'darkness', the Gothic design and odd egotistic rhetoric.  Honestly, the guy just comes off as a bit of a dork, nothing more.

Aside from that, the deck looks basically the same as the others with a nicer colour to it (more interesting, anyway).  The new tuck box is better but the overall design on it... the circular shruikan is off centre, should be in the middle IMO.  Don't like the typeface or the phrase 'blood metal' (what is that even supposed to mean?).  Don't like the signature; looks tacked on, as does the design at the bottom.  I think it would look way better with just the shruikan, slap in the middle of the tuck box and nothing else.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Yes, don't forget I was a big fan of him (at least he thought I was). :P

I bought not only 3 bricks of the Silver Blades, but also 2 of his Blade Clips (limited to 50 and sold out before they're announced to the public). I looked like a super fan from any angle of view. Besides, originally they were not familiar with the shipping methods and the international shipping was VERY VERY expensive (as expensive as D&D, the postage was decided by the shopping system and really unreasonable), I taught them how to use Medium/Large Flat Rate Boxes to ship internationally so that buyers may save much money (and that's why I got partial refund twice).
_

Holy crap, Why did you want that many signuatures?

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Aaron, this is a very good question. Thank you for asking this question.

I said I pretended to be his super fan and got things I wanted. On the other hand, I said I don't have any Silver Blades now. I bought those decks (and clips) because I was bored.

There were not so many new decks during the same period last year. Some of my friends are real fans of him, they made me think those decks are terrific stuff. You know, I might be uninterested in something originally, but everyone was talking about it... I felt I had to get some because it was very interesting. I didn't really want those "great stuff", but it was like a game for me : grabbing something before others could. I had many Silver Blades and the 2 limited clips, but later I sold them to all my fellow collectors here with exactly the same price I paid. It's just a game for me after all.

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I said I pretended to be his super fan and got things I wanted. On the other hand, I said I don't have any Silver Blades now. I bought those decks (and clips) because I was bored.

There were not so many new decks during the same period last year. Some of my friends are real fans of him, they made me think those decks are terrific stuff. You know, I might be uninterested in something originally, but everyone was talking about it... I felt I had to get some because it was very interesting. I didn't really want those "great stuff", but it was like a game for me : grabbing something before others could. I had many Silver Blades and the 2 limited clips, but later I sold them to all my fellow collectors here with exactly the same price I paid. It's just a game for me after all.

So in a way, you were doing your friends a favor by obtaining rare items for them that they might otherwise have missed.  Nice.

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Haha that is pretty awesome :)

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 12:33:29 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
So in a way, you were doing your friends a favor by obtaining rare items for them that they might otherwise have missed.  Nice.

Thanks Don, actually they got the decks with lower price from me. There were real dealers on auctions here and dealers must make some profit when reselling items. I forget I bought 3 bircks or 5 bricks, the average cost (including international shipping) per deck was lower than the official price, not to mention those dealers' adjusted prices on auctions. After I received them, watched them, I thought I didn't really want these decks (and clips) but some friends did. I had a little regret and felt I shouldn't own them. Because of the relatively low price and the signatures, they were sold out very quickly. It was a special experience to me.

If someone is curious about how those clips look like, here they are:
http://love.youthwant.com.tw/11/pre_readz.php?ut=f&stud_id=100123572&bid=110213083352z10Y
They were not attractive to me, I am not a real fan ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:43:35 AM by digipunk »

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 01:39:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think I liked his funky-looking wooden deck holders more.  But they looked insanely bulky.

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:16 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I think I liked his funky-looking wooden deck holders more.  But they looked insanely bulky.

So do I think. All items in his pics are insanely bulky except the playing cards :P

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 03:15:31 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It's really interesting hearing everybody's take on De'vo. I have never really been too interested in his deck but with his new releases and the april fools day deck I've been paying a little more attention. Sounds like there are some pretty mixed opinions on the guy. Not sure if I should check out some of his decks or not... never really cared for the blades too much. They don't stand out to me at all.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 03:22:55 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Objectively speaking, you should try. Most of the playing cards in these 2 years have decent quality, especially custom decks. But if you want to find a deck with slightly different handling among these new decks, Blades should be the one in my opinion.

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 08:59:15 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
‎''The USPC again just had another leak with our products. This is the second one we've had from them with the same deck - the Blood Metal Edition. The last person that leaked out our product info was fired from the USPC. This one we may actually go after further with since they gave out our copyrighted products, even before they were even released. Thanks for the tip Tom Frank ! I'm contacting my attorneys and the USPC as I type.'' - De'vo

That sucks for him...