Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
According to the ol' Instagram, looks like Blaine has a new deck coming out sometime soon. I really admire Stutzman's work, so whatever this ends up being I'm sure I'll grab a few. Lately I've been rather disillusioned by the releases of any of the big names, but this type of thing catches my eye.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: New Blaine/Stutzman deck
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:38:52 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Blaine and Stutzman are both living legends... and all collaborations between them have been ultra-successful so far. It's difficult to imagine any new release by them being anything other than yet another success.

There was a "black lions" type of deck that was teased a while ago, and so I'm not sure if this could be connected to that one.

I hope Blaine goes with Expert or Legends when printing the new deck because it'd be really cool of the printing and quality of the materials was finally able to do justice to the DB designs :D
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:19:48 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
According to the ol' Instagram, looks like Blaine has a new deck coming out sometime soon. I really admire Stutzman's work, so whatever this ends up being I'm sure I'll grab a few. Lately I've been rather disillusioned by the releases of any of the big names, but this type of thing catches my eye.

Thank you for this sharing! I am also an admirer of their fantastic work. I believe sincerely that the Gatorbacks (especially the green and red with the extremely nice exotic fishes card) have no equivalent and it is the most beautiful playing card work existing for the moment, in my opinion.

What fascinates me with these decks is the fabulous mixture of genres and universes. To take the example of your last photo, few people would have idea to mix a lioness with high-heeled shoes, wearing a shoulder-pieces costume on a chessboard and in the process of stretching his arm like a falconer while roaring: "Can you make that too?" It is truly fascinating...

The next partnership can only be a wonderful continuation that I really look forward to, now thanks to your post ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:34:58 AM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
YESSS!!

:)

Blaine has been in the dark for quite sometime now.... I hope he can save the year...
Form Follows Function

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Sounds like fun and I like the whimsy of the image shown there. I can't help but wonder what the cover painting of Plucker by Gerald Brom has to do with anything from a Blaine/Stutzman collaboration. It is a cool painting and a surprisingly good book, so I'll go with it haha.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Sounds like fun and I like the whimsy of the image shown there. I can't help but wonder what the cover painting of Plucker by Gerald Brom has to do with anything from a Blaine/Stutzman collaboration. It is a cool painting and a surprisingly good book, so I'll go with it haha.

I do not see the problem to post this image but to answer you, I shall try to consider that you really "asked" me the question, beyond your contestation:

I spoke about the mixture of genres and universes concerning David Blaine's decks like the lioness of this image or the White Lions series A and Gatorbacks Jokers, etc.

I think that the Plucker painting of Brom illustrates so perfectly the mixture of universes and this is why I put it. But If you wanted just that everybody knows that you could give the real name of the image, bravo it succeeded!

No hard feelings and happy to read you. The next one is just for you ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:25:05 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Brom is one of my all time favorite artists and a huge influence on my own art, but I am also a little confused why the image was added... But now I really want a Brom deck... Add that to American McGees Alice on my list of IPs I want to see made into decks and will likely never see.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 07:36:15 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Brom is one of my all time favorite artists and a huge influence on my own art, but I am also a little confused why the image was added... But now I really want a Brom deck... Add that to American McGees Alice on my list of IPs I want to see made into decks and will likely never see.

I explained the reason above but if I made an error, please, excuse me. It was unintentional..

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

I explained the reason above but if I made an error, please, excuse me. It was unintentional..

It just seemed like such an abstract reason for a relatively abstract inclusion. But for the sake of argument, and I do so love to be contrary, thematically the image of Jack from The Plucker is aesthetically consistent within itself, not at all a mixture of genres or universes you seem to find in it, and without any understanding of the source material, doesn't mirror the either the broad whimsical influence exhibited in the Stutzman illustration or the mixture of imagery you admire from the lion in the classical shoes and falconer's attire. While I do love your ability to let your personal sense if whimsy allow you to get caught up in your own fantasy around the image and hope you share my appreciation for what I consider to be one of the best living fantasy artists around, the post of the picture seems out of place and your reasoning threadbare and abstract. But I don't want you to take that critically, posts like yours make the forum more lighthearted and enjoyable to be a part of and is more and more a rare gem amidst a growingly negative and pragmatically defeatist community.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:46:48 PM by Justin O. »

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 08:31:15 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
It just seemed like such an abstract reason for a relatively abstract inclusion. But for the sake of argument, and I do so love to be contrary, thematically the image of Jack from The Plucker is aesthetically consistent within itself, not at all a mixture of genres or universes you seem to find in it, and without any understanding of the source material, doesn't mirror the either the broad whimsical influence exhibited in the Stutzman illustration or the mixture of imagery you admire from the lion in the classical shoes and falconer's attire. While I do love your ability to let your personal sense if whimsy allow you to get caught up in your own fantasy around the image and hope you share my appreciation for what I consider to be one of the best living fantasy artists around, the post of the picture seems out of place and your reasoning threadbare and abstract. But I don't want you to take that critically, posts like yours make the forum more lighthearted and enjoyable to be a part of and is more and more a rare gem amidst a growingly negative and pragmatically defeatist community.

Thank you for this message. I still have some difficulties to understand all the subtlety of certain words in each of the english sentences, but I think of having understood the essential points.

In reality, I think that I derailed myself a little bit with this image. From my point of view, I see similarities but it is probably too personal for being posted here and you have well demonstrated it to me.

I recognise that I maybe tend to see certain things where they are not so I understand your reaction. That said, I also hope to see one day a deck inspired by American McGees' universe. Not having finally the Alice: Otherlands video game, we will maybe have the deck..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:36:14 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

I do not see the problem to post this image but to answer you, I shall try to consider that you really "asked" me the question, beyond your contestation:

I spoke about the mixture of genres and universes concerning David Blaine's decks like the lioness of this image or the White Lions series A and Gatorbacks Jokers, etc.

I think that the Plucker painting of Brom illustrates so perfectly the mixture of universes and this is why I put it. But If you wanted just that everybody knows that you could give the real name of the image, bravo it succeeded!

No hard feelings and happy to read you. The next one is just for you ;)

No hard feeling here either. Thanks for posting another piece of Brom's brilliant work. I understand what you meant now haha.

The reason I linked in the proposed question of my comment was because the artist is alive and well. If someone saw the image, didn't know who did it and wanted to know more the link is provided so they can find his work and possibly make a purchase. This is a Blaine thread after all, it is likely to get many views. ;)

But now I really want a Brom deck...

I think we all do. Wouldn't that be amazing? Oh, especially if he painted a new image for the card back.  :mindf-ck:
I wonder if we'll ever see it happen. :))
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 06:27:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I think he was trying to be more evocative rather than literal - and also bear in mind that French, not English, is his primary language, so some subtleties of a complex phrase might be lost in the translation.

Suffice it to say, Cryptocard, that we enjoy your presence here!  I'm looking forward to seeing this, but then, who isn't looking forward to the next Blaine/Stutzman creation?  Stutzman was at the convention last month, gave an awesome presentation and was a great guy to talk with.  Now if only we can get Blaine to come as well...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I think he was trying to be more evocative rather than literal - and also bear in mind that French, not English, is his primary language, so some subtleties of a complex phrase might be lost in the translation.

Suffice it to say, Cryptocard, that we enjoy your presence here!  I'm looking forward to seeing this, but then, who isn't looking forward to the next Blaine/Stutzman creation?  Stutzman was at the convention last month, gave an awesome presentation and was a great guy to talk with.  Now if only we can get Blaine to come as well...  :))

Thank you Don ;) I think that you identified well the allusion with the image but if it was inappropriate, I will not do it again. I have discussed by mail with Mark Stutzman and yes, he seems to be very nice in addition to being a great artist!

I discovered the Chameleon deck made by the Expert PCC. I find that the back is really beautiful but personally, I think that the joker is a little unsuccessful compared with those of David Blaine. That's a pity because otherwise, this deck would have been able to be a great design equivalent.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:09:30 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Now if only we can get Blaine to come as well...  :))

Well, if you do that... I would teleport there.
Form Follows Function

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Now if only we can get Blaine to come as well...  :))

Well, if you do that... I would teleport there.

Seconded. Beam me up Don.

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
If Stutzman has come to the previous convention, he could maybe motivate Blaine to come next time, no?

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 04:08:14 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
If Stutzman has come to the previous convention, he could maybe motivate Blaine to come next time, no?

Maybe if he's a playing card collector, we could get him to first... Join the club? ;)

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 04:22:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Maybe if he's a playing card collector, we could get him to first... Join the club? ;)

Invited guests, while often collectors and members, aren't always such - at least not individually.  People in the industry often come as invited guests - Blaine would certainly qualify.

But we're hijacking the topic here - back to the deck, please!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/