You are Here:
Things to Pass Along

Author (Read 422 times)

Things to Pass Along
« on: December 09, 2013, 01:46:30 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Okay, so I know I have been creating multiple topics lately but I feel like this new one is actually going to be my favorite.

Throughout the past couple of months, I have began to take note of certain quotes or poems or things of that nature that impact me. By impact I mean made me sit down and thing about it or that I felt I could relate on what was being said by the author. Through this time period, I have amassed a few, roughly 20 or so, and keep them all in a little book of mine.

While on a social media sight today, I came across a poem by Mark Grist named "I Want a Girl Who Reads". He also has a youtube video named "Girls Who Read" that I will attach below of him reciting his poem. It made me start to think about my collection and finding a way to share it with all of you. So I came up with this.

I am saying this all and making this topic because it got me thinking about the values that people hold true to themselves. These values are different for every single individual and are reflected in the works that we enjoy. So I ask you guys and gals to share some of the works that you enjoy. I want to gain access to works I would never have come across before if it hadn't been for you wonderful folks. Heck, even if I simply show somebody something that interests them, a hobby not known before this, would be awesome.

So please, feel free to post things that grab your attention or impact you. Feel free to comment on what people post and if you can compare to what they feel. I think this is such a great medium for people to reflect on their lives and it would be nice for others to partake in it with me.

With that, I will leave you with a quote by Helen Keller.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart".

Ryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmEbF2uhsZk

Re: Things to Pass Along
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Here's one. It's quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald's the Great Gatsby, and something I try to follow. I was disappointed it was changed and simplified in the movie to, "Always try to see the best in people." which is a similar thought, but not the same, since it doesn't include the part that takes into account people's different experiences.

Anyway, here it is:

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. "Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

(Explanation from SparkNotes) From the start of the novel, Fitzgerald presents the theme of differences between social classes and races in 1920’s America by having his narrator say, wisely, that it is not fair to judge people by circumstances over which they have no control. It’s important that Nick’s family (which is not rich, but financially comfortable) taught him this belief, as it paints him as a correct and respectable man, and thus encourages us to view him as a trustworthy and honest narrator. Therefore, we can expect — to an extent — anything that Nick says to be reasonable, including his criticism of people like Tom Buchanan, who love to criticize others precisely because they haven’t had the same advantages as he has.

I always try give people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes it's very difficult to, but I always remind myself I don't know the whole story and I can't just judge them based on a singular instance. Like any other person, of course, I still have my biases and dislike certain people, but I try my best not to have that happen.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:08:22 AM by Sher143 »