Author (Read 4711 times)

IMPERIAL Deck now LIVE on KS - with HOPC
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hello Everyone,

In a few days the Imperial Deck will be launched as a Kickstarter project with myself and HOPC! I figured some people on the forums might have some questions/concerns with HOPC being involved in a Kickstarter campaign, so I wrote this up in advance to explain our reasoning.

The decision to take the Imperial Deck to Kickstarter was mostly due to the rapidly changing marketplace for custom Playing Cards. Other factors included a behind-the-scenes change I cannot elaborate on further and the idea that a unique and artistic design like the Imperial could do very well on Kickstarter. When the original Ornates were released last August, Kickstarter Decks were popping up at a much slower rate than they are now - just one year later. 2013 has seen an explosion in Kickstarter success stories in the Playing Card world.  I think it has altered the way ALL of the Card and Magic companies handle new Deck releases. Kickstarter Decks that do well have a HUGE advantage with the 30+ days of funding, that is essentially a long Pre-Order period!

I will admit that a small factor for my part in the decision is ego. I've watched closely this past year as beautiful Decks have done extremely well on Kickstarter. It has enabled designers like Encarded, Uusi, Jackson, 4PM and others to assemble a large fan-base and receive critical recognition. Watching the success of the great Kickstarter Decks is almost like sitting the bench, just waiting to get into the game and give it your best shot!

It's my opinion that the success of Kickstarter Decks has made it hard for companies like HOPC to entice some of the talented designers. Designers who choose to take the roll of the Kickstarter dice instead. We're trying out a unique way to release the Imperial Deck by having a Kickstarter Exclusive Black Bicycle version that won't be available after the KS project is over (and won't be offered to resellers at reduced prices - in order to keep the exclusivity viable). The Red "Base" version will be available in the Kickstarter project and will be added to the HOPC catalog after the Pledge Rewards are all mailed out (with a price point of $9.95 + Shipping).

If the Imperial campaign is successful, the Co-HOPC Kickstarter project mold could be a great way for designers to release their dream Deck with the best of both worlds: The unlimited potential and exposure of a Kickstarter project + the stability of partnering with HOPC to handle the shipping and production roles, and later adding the Deck's "Base" design to the HOPC catalog.

The current landscape of Kickstarter Deck fulfillment is either hit-or-miss. HOPC's involvement in the Imperial campaign makes it a sure thing that the Pledge Rewards will go out to Backers as soon as they're ready. Just look at some of the failed or late KS projects and tell me having an established distributor like HOPC doesn't provide an extra peace-of-mind!

During the campaign we plan on having some fun with voting by Backers, similar to what other campaigns have offered. We will also have a couple other cool items available besides the Red and Black Decks, some meaty Stretch Goal items are planned out and we will have some Early Bird reward levels.

Here's a few images from the KS presentation, including a look at the the Black Bicycle Imperial Deck!

Thank You, Randy Butterfield
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:05:40 PM by RandyButterfield »

Re: IMPERIAL Deck coming soon to KS - with HOPC
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 04:27:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This is all some very awesome news.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed a kind-of slowdown coming from HOPC, and this explanation goes some ways to explain the situation.  I know you and HOPC both will have a rousing success on your hands, and this looks like it could be a very successful business model, especially as we've seen so many KS deck projects collapse during the delivery phase.  Having HOPC handle that for you makes for a much less stressful situation!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Thanks Don!

I'm surprised no one else has responded about the Co-Kickstarter idea. Be it positive or negative, I can handle it!

Here's a group Render of the items that wil be available when we launch in a few days.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
For some reason it makes my mouth water (candy boxes?). I don't think I'll be able to resist this one.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Thanks Don!

I'm surprised no one else has responded about the Co-Kickstarter idea. Be it positive or negative, I can handle it!
I agree with Don on this. This could be the best of 3 worlds. You get to design, HOPC takes care of the pain in the ass stuff, and hopefully KS sells enough decks to get to a profit level. It's a win for everyone.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks Don!

I agree with Don on this. This could be the best of 3 worlds. You get to design, HOPC takes care of the pain in the ass stuff, and hopefully KS sells enough decks to get to a profit level. It's a win for everyone.

It gets better.  If there's not enough people interested in a given deck produced this way, you've saved yourself the expense of having produced an unpopular deck.  HOPC's old model put all the risk on them for financing their decks - it's a large part of why they're so very selective when choosing projects.

HOPC saves the designer so much hassle - they help promote the deck, they distribute the deck to your backers, and when the backers get theirs and there's leftover decks (as there almost invariably is), HOPC sells them on their site for you.  All you need to do, as before, is make a kick-ass design and talk it up on the boards.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:19:37 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Another benefit is if HOPC is willing to take some of the risk. You can come in with a low goal like Encarded did with the Deco deck.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 01:33:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Another benefit is if HOPC is willing to take some of the risk. You can come in with a low goal like Encarded did with the Deco deck.

Why would they want to?  By letting any given deck live or die on its KS support alone, they can gauge whether it was a deck worth making in the first place.

Think of it like this: a deck enters and has a $1,000 goal - obviously way too low, but it would allow for a quick launch into overfunding and insure you get the KS money.  For a deck like Deco, this was no problem - but what if the deck in question languished through its whole campaign, just barely squeaking by to reach the goal on the last day with literally a couple of bucks to spare?  Then HOPC is stuck with the obligation to front their own funds for a deck that's obviously not very popular and will likely take a LONG time to sell out on their site.

Few smart business people, given the chance to let someone else front the cash for a project (such as the KS community), will pass that up, preferring to risk their own capital to get it done and for absolutely no great benefit other than avoiding less than 10% in fees from KS and Amazon...

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:00:35 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
That all makes sense but at this point in the game don't we pretty much know what will sell and what will languish through it's campaign?  I would say that this deck is of comparable quality to Paul's Deco.  I doubt it labors to it's funding goal especially with Randy as the designer and the brand power of HOPC pushing it.  I agree it seems like a win win for them.  My only mental speed bump is that I feel like Kickstarter is meant to do just that for new business owners/designers/inventors.  It's a little strange from my perspective that I am providing startup capital to an established entity.  Rest assured as a collector I'll still back this.  However, I respect the way Paul did it with deco.   He invested his own profit back in or at least was willing to if necessary.  Hence the low goal
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:01:40 AM by kdklown »

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That all makes sense but at this point in the game don't we pretty much know what will sell and what will languish through it's campaign?  I would say that this deck is of comparable quality to Paul's Deco.  I doubt it labors to it's funding goal especially with Randy as the designer and the brand power of HOPC pushing it.  I agree it seems like a win win for them.  My only mental speed bump is that I feel like Kickstarter is meant to do just that for new business owners/designers/inventors.  It's a little strange from my perspective that I am providing startup capital to an established entity.  Rest assured as a collector I'll still back this.  However, I respect the way Paul did it with deco.   He invested his own profit back in or at least was willing to if necessary.  Hence the low goal

I wasn't speaking specifically to the Imperial Deck, but to a theoretical "Brand X" deck - while Randy's got a huge following and we enjoy his work, some of the decks people design are more of an unknown factor.  I'm tracking a deck now on the New Deck Report that debuted Saturday from a previously unknown designer with an $18,500 goal.  It's a deck that easily all but a handful of members here would have zero interest in.  It's also at over $20,000 and climbing...  Conversely, a deck could have very high hopes and be well-liked by card people, like the project for SiShou - Four Beasts, but go on to languish, raising only a small portion of the funds needed despite all the positive buzz and support.  There's a lot of variables to selling a new, limited-edition custom deck, especially when it's from a first-time designer, and there's no way to account for them all.

I was of the opinion, once (even recently), that a company shouldn't keep coming back to the well, so to speak, starting new KS projects after new KS project but never quite becoming economically strong enough to stand on its own, or perhaps the company is being run by a person or people who are too risk-averse.  But when it comes to playing cards, there's been such an explosion here in just a handful of months - I'd even say much less than a year - that unless you're one of the majors (D&D, T11, E, DB) which are also involved in magic instruction and/or run by well-known magicians/cardists, or USPC themselves, all the action in custom decks is right there on KS.  (And "majors" is a loosely-defined term, since the bulk of these companies have an employee roster that's below twenty people, sometimes WAY below.)  Designers keep coming back here because people keep coming back here, all wanting more and better.  Despite the best intentions of the creators of Kickstarter, it has really evolved away from a means to start a new business and toward being a marketplace of businesses where the barriers to entry are dramatically lowered through crowd-funding - in essence, "crowd-funding" has become another way to say "pre-ordering", at least for the creators whose projects are actually worth making.

For every Lee McKenzie or Mark Stutzman who's made decks for one of the aforementioned majors, there's got to be a good handful we've never even heard of.  The same can't be said of Kickstarter - we know names like Lance Miller, Paul Carpenter, Randy Butterfield and others because they came here and hung out their virtual shingles, presenting their wares for backers to help create.  HOPC is actually responding to issues I've seen other deck designers work to respond to - some talk of the arduous task of fulfillment when they're working or attending school full-time or having a personal disaster pull them completely away from their project, others talk of what the hell to do with all those leftover decks after the fulfillment is done.  HOPC takes care of both tasks - it's obviously for a cut of the action, but it's also taking all that STUFF designers had to deal with and making it vanish in a puff of Pure Smoke...  :))

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

We set the goal at a number ($10,000) that is lower than the actual production costs for 2 USPC Decks with Inside Tuck Foil and high enough to not be a Red Flag to KS backers who've never heard of myself or HOPC.

Paul's $1,000 goal was great, but I'm sure he knew it would easily cruise past that in the first day. Just a couple weeks ago I was reading some Backer comments from a Deck with a low goal ($4,000 I think). Someone commented that they were thinking about bailing because the low goal was a Red Flag to them, and actually stated the really low goal of the Deco Deck is what made them NOT back that project! They obviously didn't know Paul's great track record and background with producing Decks.

The extremely low goal can help with the collectors and forum users, but to someone brand new to the designer it could be a hindrance.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Randy, I'm very eager to see how this campaign goes. Not only have you created another great deck, but this campaign will be a precedent-setting model.

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Randy  I wish you a huge success because you deserve it. You've done awesome work and going on KS is by far the best option. ;)

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Thanks Emmanuel and Lotrek!

We're all set for an 8:00 pm EST Kickstarter launch Tuesday night
(Just under 23 hours from now)!

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

We're all set for an 8:00 pm EST Kickstarter launch Tuesday night

[sigh]
Eastern Standard Time (EST) isn't until the first Sunday in November...  We're on Eastern DAYLIGHT Time (EDT) now...
[/sigh]

:))
That's why I generally use UTC around here - it never changes with the seasons.

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Beautiful cards Randy! A phenomenal job, as always! I have a calendar reminder set on my phone. I'm in on these in a big way!!

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Hey Everyone,

The IMPERIAL Deck is now LIVE on Kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1380523977/imperial-playing-cards-designed-by-randy-butterfie

thanks, Randy

Re: IMPERIAL Deck now LIVE on KS - with HOPC
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Released on my birthday!

I can justify buying more cards, for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdi1hJui8LM
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:21:02 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'd offer the best of luck, Randy, but it's clear you don't need any!  :))

Oh, what the hell - GOOD LUCK!!

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Awesome job. Already 1/3 funded in just a few hours.
Any possibility of an additional pledge level- The set-1 each red/black? possibly a special price?

I assume that the black tuck in the main picture is option A- a little confusing. You may want to put another picture of option A next to the B

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Awesome job. Already 1/3 funded in just a few hours.
Any possibility of an additional pledge level- The set-1 each red/black? possibly a special price?

I assume that the black tuck in the main picture is option A- a little confusing. You may want to put another picture of option A next to the B

Hey Rob,

If we offered a Red/Black set it would be at the same Early Bird / Regular price structure as pledging for a Red or Black Deck and adding the alternate color Deck as an Add-On ($19 Early Bird Set / $23 Regular Set). I didn't want to clutter up the Pledge levels with redundant options. BackerKit has really simplified the Add-On process, so I wanted to have everything available as an Add-On item.

I think it was Jackson Robinson who mention that he was thinking about having just one $1 Pledge Level, with everything available as Add-Ons only. I thought people would really freak out at that extreme, so I tried to take the Pledge levels down to the basics.

Black Tuck Box A is the large Bicycle Logo, Version B is the small Bicycle logo. If you click on any of the KS Project images a higher res version will pop-up in a new browser window. For the Renders that show the Black Tuck Box, the image that pops up is the same Render but with the alternate Black version!

The image I'm posting below is what pops up if people click on the BLACK IMPERIAL DECK image.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 11:46:03 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I spoke with Kevin at The Blue Crown and HOPC regarding some of the things happening with KS and HOPC. I posted the interview on my site. I think he brings up some interesting points....

http://tuckcase.com/2013/08/20/exclusive-interview-the-blue-crowns-kevin-reylek-talks-kickstarter-and-house-of-playing-cards/

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 11:50:47 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Congratulations Randy. 1 week and funded. 25 days to go. Lets hope you double up or more.

Edit- Just read your article Scott. A lot of good insight into what's going on there. Judging by this project. It appears that this could be a lucrative business model for HOPC.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:01:41 AM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:40 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Another great article Scott!
Kevin didn't even mention he was working on it. Very cool.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Alright, as expected, the Black Tuck Box with the large Bicycle Logo won by a landslide. We'll have voting for the Black Gaff Card starting this Sunday. I have six versions ready to go for this one.

Max from Max Playing Cards did a very nice behind-the-scenes article on the King of Spades Egg. Check it out to get a small idea of the amount of work I put into each element from the IMPERIAL Deck!

http://www.maxplayingcards.com/en/2013/08/28/imperial-playing-cards-a-behind-the-scenes-look-to-the-royal-eggs-design/

Thanks, Randy