Author (Read 1357 times)

Forum... We need to stop this.
« on: November 02, 2011, 01:43:25 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Alright.. let me start be saying I'm frustrated.  So, I'm going to do something I don't normally do.. I'm going to vent.
But, it needs to be said. 
If you're offended by any of this, it's because you know you're one of the culprits I'm talking about.

I frequent UnitedCardists, and this site... but something has changed over the past month or so.

What is with all the stupid questions/comments?
"Is it limited?"
"Is it rare?"
"Is it SUPER-RIDICULOUS-I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-I-HAVE-THE-HOLY-GRAIL-OF-PLAYING-CARDS-RARE?"
"Are they going to do reprints??"  Of a deck that hasn't even been printed yet.

Limited..rare.. when these words are thrown out for almost every deck... it really starts to mean nothing.

Is it limited?  Of course, most decks get a 5000 run... not a lot for a population of 7 billion.  But most times there's an easy way to know.  Big companies...Ellusionist, T11, D&D, etc normally have larger print runs.  15,000-20,000 decks.  Smaller release from no-name people = smaller runs.

Will there be reprints? 99.999% won't announce reprints without seeing how the deck is going to sell.

Is it rare?  If it just came out... probably not.

So, is there any way the forum can stop asking these same questions about EVERY deck?

One other thing....  if you're going to write in the forum, try to add something to the conversation.

As of this minute, I have 58 posts.  I would say in at least 80% of my posts I try to add something to the topic, or bring info to the forum to help everyone out.
It seems like some other members are just trying to get a higher post ranking, with maybe only 10% of their posts being quality posts.

And finally..

It's happening quite a bit on UC... If you start a new thread, please make sure that a similar thread doesn't already exist.

So ends my rant.

Frustrated

CBJ
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:48:34 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Forum... We need to stop this.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:47:09 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
completely understandable, I do want to mention that the reason I ask is because I'm still kinda new to the card thing and figure people who have been collecting and what not longer then me might know, sorry for asking the dumb questions and I will work on it.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 01:50:39 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
MrMagic,

It's not you in particular.  I love that the community is growing!!
WELCOME!

I meant no offense to you.. or anyone for that matter.

CBJ !
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:59:22 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I did not take offense I was just responding because I have posted those questions and just saying why I did.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 02:25:22 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Thank you CBJ.

As soon as I had seen that you joined these forums i knew that you would be an asset to the community. From the amount of time I spent at UC, I gained a huge respect for the quality of your posts and the knowledge you posses. Your mindset to how a forum should be used is exactly mirrored by myself. From my observations, the members of the Discourse have been making progress on the quality of their posts since launch, but not all are at the standard I hoped they would be ( for the majority of the reasons you have mentioned ). Thank you for displaying the feelings I also have in a calm, concise  and respectful manner, hopefully it will help let those who are still unsure about what a quality post is understand.

I know Alex and I have stressed in numerous posts that the quality of each post far outweighs the number of post counts one may want to have. As the community matures I am hoping the attitude towards posting will as well and that meaningless and repetitive posts will be the thing of the past. Because of the way that the post rewards on the Discourse are set up, there is always going to be an urge to make a post, for the sake of raising personal post counts but I am hoping that users will understand that the rewards are not mean't to create a sprint, but more of a marathon that has a special prize at the end. In this forum, we are all about free speech. We do not want to put limits on what can and cannot be said but I do share some of the same feeling about repetitive, useless posts that do come up on occasion in the Discourse. So all I can do is encourage the users to think before they make a post and ask themselves, "Why am I posting this"

One other note,
I understand for some, english is not your native language and I appreciate the effort you have made to learn quite a complex language. For others, who simply type too fast or have misspell their entire post because of being on a phone, please take the time to correct your mistakes or just simply wait until you have the time to be on a computer and spell words correctly, it's a lot easier for everyone that way.

As CBJ stated, Non of what I have said is geared towards anyone in particular and if you feel that it is, its most likely because you feel some what responsible for the creation of this thread. This is not intended to say that using the forum consistently is bad thing, all I am saying is that consistently using the forum improperly is a bad thing. I have noticed huge changes in how the forum was a month ago and every aspect has vastly improved but there are still the minor nuances that CBJ has mentioned above and I would like to applaud the people who have risen to the occasions and began to understand mine and Alex's feeling towards the Discourse.

Thanks
- Curt
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:34:15 AM by Curt »

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 02:33:23 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Thank you CBJ.

As soon as I had seen that you joined these forums i knew that you would be an asset to the community. From the amount of time I spent at UC, I gained a huge respect for the quality of your posts and the knowledge you posses. Your mindset to how a forum should be used is exactly mirrored by myself. From my observations, the members of the Discourse have been making progress on the quality of their posts since launch, but not all are at the standard I hoped they would be ( for the majority of the reasons you have mentioned ). Thank you for displaying the feelings I also have in a calm, concise  and respectful manner, hopefully it will help let those who are still unsure about what a quality post is understand.

I know Alex and I have stressed in numerous posts that the quality of each post far outweighs the number of post counts one may want to have. As the community matures I am hoping the attitude towards posting will as well and that meaningless and repetitive posts will be the thing of the past. Because of the way that the post rewards on the Discourse are set up, there is always going to be an urge to make a post, for the sake of raising personal post counts but I am hoping that users will understand that the rewards are not mean't to create a sprint, but more of a marathon that has a special prize at the end. In this forum, we are all about free speech. We do not want to put limits on what can and cannot be said but I do share some of the same feeling about repetitive, useless posts that do come up on occasion in the Discourse. So all I can do is encourage the users to think before they make a post and ask themselves, "Why am I posting this"

One other note,
I understand for some, english is not your native language and I appreciate the effort you have made to learn quite a complex language. For others, who simply type too fast or have misspell their entire post because of being on a phone, please take the time to correct your mistakes or just simply wait until you have the time to be on a computer and spell words correctly.

As CBJ stated, Non of what I have said is geared towards anyone in particular and if you feel that it is, its most likely because you feel some what responsible for the creation of this thread. This is not intended to say that using the forum consistently is bad thing, all I am saying is that consistently using the forum improperly is a bad thing. I have noticed huge changes in how the forum was a month ago and every aspect has vastly improved but there are still the minor nuances that CBJ has mentioned above and I would like to applaud the people who have risen to the occasions and began to understand mine and Alex's feeling towards the Discourse.

Thanks
- Curt

Very well said.

I guess I will send you that Black Ghost 1st Edition I cut up!  lol PM me your address

For those of you who have not seen the video... get ready to cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na25gZ6uOME

CBJ

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 02:59:08 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I was going to make a post along similar lines. I wouldn't call the questions people are making here "stupid" because many are new to the hardcore community that surrounds cards. I'e made my fair share of newbie posts, and it's just something you have to do to learn.

It is always quality over quantity but that being said over the past month I have seen the posts on this forum go from 95% useless, to maybe 10% useless. Despite that sharp rise in quality we have been having a steady stream of activity with a community that continues to grow every day.

Never stop striving to improve the quality of your posts.

We even have an under-utilized spam board for you all to post literally anything you'd like. No thread will ever be moderated in the Lolaq.

As for people being concerned about "limited" deck releases, I agree that is a sentiment that needs to end. All decks released by small-time artists/companies are limited. We do not have the funds to print 20,000. However, the number of decks printed says nothing about quality. In fact, even as far as value goes, I own decks that are printed in runs of under 500 and are sold for $10 each, and decks that were printed in 100,000+ that are worth $30 each.

Value is built over time.

Buy the decks you love from people you want to support. It baffles me to see 100% of the people on this forum tear Merz apart for his selling tactics, and then we turn around and see the decks sold for more than his asking price. Sure it's not you guys buying them, but if we all spread the idea of buying only the best first, less people would be buying something as long as you label it "limited" or "less than 1,000 made!"

Believe me, it takes no talent or skill to call up USPCC, make an order for 1,000 clip-art decks with a random name you come up with, and have them delivered within a few weeks.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:04:26 AM by alex. »
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
I see what you mean. In the short time I have been here I see alot of posting for the apparent reason of posting. I do not mean to critique anyone, I have not been here long enough. I see you give away things to those who post alot so that gives the incentive to do so. Again, just observation, not aimed at anyone in particular. I am guilty of the "is this limited" thing. I think many of us new to collecting think this is the main point of collecting. It is later on when we see things like the Vortex, Americana and the Actuator that we begin to appreciate the art involved. What I am saying is let people evolve. I know it is happening to me. Along with that, alot of collectors will remain interested in only those cards which will be rare and of course there will always be resellers who want to make a buck.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I try to make my posts as full of information and helpful as possible, or just to be funny. For example in the thread I made about forgetting magic tricks, I just now made a comment that said "True..." and I kinda felt bad about it being so short of a comment, but I also think it's funny (If you read it you will understand what I mean) but I try to never make posts like that.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!