Author (Read 2419 times)

a friends back desighns
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
a friend saw me working on the light deck and wanted to start on a desighn too he asked me to get him feedback on his desighns

Re: a friends back desighns
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I like it, but its very plain, and too geometric, and I don't think it matches the other cards at all.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:10:16 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
I second loldudex2
But I know that this is just a draft of course. So just soften the lines a bit. Also the borders kinda look like my esophagus. LoL no offense meant. The concept is okay. I like the pattern that is forming inside the blob in the middle. :P

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:04:42 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Honestly the only thing I don't hate is the blob. This is a draft but I'm not a fan of this at all. Also I'm unsure of how this could turn into an AoS. I know this is kinda harsh but I am noticing the a lot of artists, whether good or not. I don't think every piece of art fits in a deck.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I like it, but its very plain, and too geometric, and I don't think it matches the other cards at all.

It's not supposed to.  It's not his design for his deck - it's a friend's design.

Honestly the only thing I don't hate is the blob. This is a draft but I'm not a fan of this at all. Also I'm unsure of how this could turn into an AoS. I know this is kinda harsh but I am noticing the a lot of artists, whether good or not. I don't think every piece of art fits in a deck.

It's not supposed to be an Ace of Spades.  The title of this topic states that it's a back design.

I'm starting to feel like the only person who reads anymore!  :))

OK, so I'm assuming this is only a partial design, since it looks like only the top half of a card back.  This looks a lot like a piece of currency, like a new design for the 10 euro note or something.  If he wants to make a banknote-themed deck, that would actually be an interesting concept - closest I've ever seen to that are some half-assed efforts using a US $100 note as a card back.  If the Aristocrat 727s can make a successful comeback, I see no reason why this couldn't become something "note-worthy" (insert rim-shot here)!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Hey I read too. :P LoL

Anyway, @Don, "BANKRUPTCY" deck? Nice one.
I still need to get myself some Aristocrats (can you believe that?!)
But yeah, With what Don said as a possible theme (bank-note) maybe that is something to work with right @zaganh?
good luck

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

But yeah, With what Don said as a possible theme (bank-note) maybe that is something to work with right @zaganh?
good luck

Hey - I might want to run with that idea!  Stop, thief!   ;D

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
While I am not 100% sure, my guess is that the back design would not hold up under printing. I think that there is so much dense detail that it will all go very mushy should it be printed.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

It's not supposed to.  It's not his design for his deck - it's a friend's design.

It's not supposed to be an Ace of Spades.  The title of this topic states that it's a back design.

I'm starting to feel like the only person who reads anymore!  :))

OK, so I'm assuming this is only a partial design, since it looks like only the top half of a card back.  This looks a lot like a piece of currency, like a new design for the 10 euro note or something.  If he wants to make a banknote-themed deck, that would actually be an interesting concept - closest I've ever seen to that are some half-assed efforts using a US $100 note as a card back.  If the Aristocrat 727s can make a successful comeback, I see no reason why this couldn't become something "note-worthy" (insert rim-shot here)!  :))

haha yeah he mentioned he desighned that one like a bank note he has many more i need to uploade

good luck

thank you but this is a friends deck this is mine here http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=1892.0

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
While I am not 100% sure, my guess is that the back design would not hold up under printing. I think that there is so much dense detail that it will all go very mushy should it be printed.

You're forgetting - this isn't any more detailed than the already-in-print Aristocrat 727 Banknotes.  The Banknotes are monochrome, but the level of detail is no different, as I see it.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Actually I did read it. I don't know how Back Design turned ino AoS in my mind lol.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 04:39:39 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Actually, despite what is being said, that back design would look fine in print I believe as long as there is no air-cushion dimpling (which kills quality).

I like the idea behind a 3D back, but I think it is too center-heavy. I know I know, coming from me that sounds insane, but this one is just TOO much middle and not enough edges.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

You're forgetting - this isn't any more detailed than the already-in-print Aristocrat 727 Banknotes.  The Banknotes are monochrome, but the level of detail is no different, as I see it.

I don't know Don, I have the Arisocrats and was looking at them specifically, and the density of the lines he has is far beyond the Aristocrat. Even in the mockup the details overlay to the point of going all black on the edges, and as Alex mentioned with Air-cushion in the mix I think a large portion of that design would go to mush. Even the densest part of the Aristocrats has clear separation between lines except for the very tiny "folds" in the outer band.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I don't know Don, I have the Arisocrats and was looking at them specifically, and the density of the lines he has is far beyond the Aristocrat. Even in the mockup the details overlay to the point of going all black on the edges, and as Alex mentioned with Air-cushion in the mix I think a large portion of that design would go to mush. Even the densest part of the Aristocrats has clear separation between lines except for the very tiny "folds" in the outer band.

Perhaps as a first draft, it is dense - but I'm sure he could get something very close to it on paper, particularly if the stock is smooth, as Alex mentioned.  It might not be this exact image, but it could be an image that retains the "essence" of this image.

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Here, I got you a little reference. :P
I don't think the real issue here is the level of detail - the 727 design has obviously more to it than just that. What we have here is way too simple and I don't see any creativity in it.

Nope, I can't. How dare you? >:(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:33:18 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
The 'desighn' at the top is too detailed to be transfered to a card.  It will end up blurry and/or mushed together.  Adam had this problem on his 'Revision 1' decks, he had to go back in to AutoCAD and remove about 1/3 of his lines on some of the nautiluses.

BTW, I absolutely love the Aristocrat 'Banknote' artwork.
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!