You are Here:
Early stages of my next deck

Author (Read 21985 times)

Re: Early stages of my next deck
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
The first picture is very dark and I can hardly see the white lines on the playing card.  Where as the 2nd picture I can clearly see the lines.  Is this what you were intending?
- Adam

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
yes actually I like the darker lines better, in the first pick the were supposed to be greyish instead of silver, Also I can see them clearly.

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Ok, gotcha.  Umm, for me I like the 2nd ape better.  The one with his mouth closed on the cigar.  If you decided on going with the 2nd ape you could always make a gaff card using the first ape.  The first ape with his mouth open could me used as a reveal with a playing card inside his mouth or something like that.  Just throwing some ideas around...
- Adam

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I also like the second ape much better! I like the way this is evolving. Good luck!

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Hmmm... do you think the backs are ready for release? Im not sure what else I could do ot the card back, Of course Im going to get the other cards done first, and make sure everything is right this time, but im curoious as to what you guys think as to the readiness of the backs would you buy them at this stage?

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Hmmm... do you think the backs are ready for release? Im not sure what else I could do ot the card back, Of course Im going to get the other cards done first, and make sure everything is right this time, but im curoious as to what you guys think as to the readiness of the backs would you buy them at this stage?
I personally wouldn't buy one from what I see so far. But if you keep up the progress, I will.

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I like the second ape back better. I think that it still needs some work. I'm not sure what it is though. I'll keep thinking and get back to you with my feedback though! It's looking much better and I'm a huge fan of the silver backs.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I have to agree.  Its not quite ready yet.  I'm not sure whats missing either but when I look at it I feel like there should be more going on, on the back of the card.  More artwork or something nice on the eyes.
- Adam

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
What would it look like if you add a derby or fedora type hat to the ape?
This might add a little class to the ape. Just a thought. :)

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I, too, like the second one better. But there's something about that background I don't really like. The diamonds are a little overused. Maybe try something new?

I like how the ape is really detailed, but I'm actually not so sure if the printer will be able to handle it and actually get all of these details out... :S

« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2012, 12:02:55 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I, too, like the second one better. But there's something about that background I don't really like. The diamonds are a little overused. Maybe try something new?

I like how the ape is really detailed, but I'm actually not so sure if the printer will be able to handle it and actually get all of these details out... :S
Its no problem for the printer, maybe we could tone down the diamonds a bit? Make them more grey like in the first one?

« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2012, 05:41:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

The second "silver-backed" ape is the better of the two.  But you should look into making TWO COLORS for this deck, distinct and different from each other.  It's a rare poker table I've played at where only one deck was used the entire night.  Perhaps you can swap out the black diamonds on the back for blood-red ones - different enough without being jarringly different.  Or perhaps even a leather-brown; you can make it look like an old-style leather chair or couch with the deep-set studs holding the material in place, and make the diagonal lines into stitches!  Just don't go for black and grey - I saw Kem do something like that with a twin-deck of tournament-branded cards and you could barely tell one from the other, leaving them susceptible to getting mixed together by accident and not being noticed.

I think the stitched-leather look would be AWESOME for what you're trying to achieve with this deck, and it would make it distinctive yet familiar.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:53 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Weve actually changed our manufacturer to archduke playing cards, What do you guys think of this change? If we make this change the printing of these decks will be very inexpensive. We could even offer the decks for less than the steampunk decks. ( We are also printing the steampunk decks thru archduke).

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 03:03:49 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Actually there is one big problem, we have ideas for the king and jack monkey, But what kinda monkey could be queen without looking stupid. The king will be mobster style, whle maybe the jack would be a punky monkey...? I deas?

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 03:59:09 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Weve actually changed our manufacturer to archduke playing cards, What do you guys think of this change? If we make this change the printing of these decks will be very inexpensive. We could even offer the decks for less than the steampunk decks. ( We are also printing the steampunk decks thru archduke).

I'm a big fan of this! I think it's great for both parties! It gives Archduke some more business and a chance to showcase their printing with your deck and you have a quality deck printed! I would pick one up just to check out the design and the handling. A bonus for both sides!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 04:31:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

A wise choice.  Archduke makes quality cards.  I've been promoting them here like crazy because I think they're excellent cards for the price he's selling them at.

Actually there is one big problem, we have ideas for the king and jack monkey, But what kinda monkey could be queen without looking stupid. The king will be mobster style, whle maybe the jack would be a punky monkey...? I deas?

Try this article and the links it comes with.  It should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_moll

Make the Kings into gorilla dons with tux, the Queens become chimpanzee gun molls in evening gowns, flapper dresses and fancy hats, the Jacks become "the muscle" in orangutan form, the guys who do the don's bidding, wearing pinstripes, black shirts and white ties.  Replace swords with pistols, scepters with Tommy guns, flowers with martinis and champagne glasses (use the old wide and flat models, not the more modern flute-style glasses.

Consider a joker design with a policeman ape of some kind, for at least one of the cards.  You can always put your Ultra Ape logo on an ad card.

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2012, 12:33:24 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

A wise choice.  Archduke makes quality cards.  I've been promoting them here like crazy because I think they're excellent cards for the price he's selling them at.

Try this article and the links it comes with.  It should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_moll

Make the Kings into gorilla dons with tux, the Queens become chimpanzee gun molls in evening gowns, flapper dresses and fancy hats, the Jacks become "the muscle" in orangutan form, the guys who do the don's bidding, wearing pinstripes, black shirts and white ties.  Replace swords with pistols, scepters with Tommy guns, flowers with martinis and champagne glasses (use the old wide and flat models, not the more modern flute-style glasses.

Consider a joker design with a policeman ape of some kind, for at least one of the cards.  You can always put your Ultra Ape logo on an ad card.
Those are some good ideas, I will try and get something drawn up soon. The only probllem is its near impossible to make female monkeys look serious enough, Without looking silly.

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That is awesome news! I haven't handled any decks from there but I've only heard good things about them. Good luck!

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2012, 01:36:26 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
that is awesome !! but i thought the project is already funded ??

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
that is awesome !! but i thought the project is already funded ??
Yup, but right before I sent payment to the chinese guys, brown_sac suggested I talk to archduke

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2012, 02:03:11 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Here is a quick sketch of the don monkey. Ill work on putting him into a card soon!

Also did the jack but its... meh so far.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:04:29 AM by ReaganM »

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2012, 02:54:34 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I think it looks good, what are you doing for the faces? the kings should have ape heads.

EDIT:
I was a page back when I posted andi dodn#t notice the other stuff. The face cards you have started look very cool.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:56:00 AM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2012, 05:07:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Those are some good ideas, I will try and get something drawn up soon. The only probllem is its near impossible to make female monkeys look serious enough, Without looking silly.

It's why I suggested chimps.  They already have a more slender form than the other apes mentioned.  You wouldn't need to go crazy giving them huge breasts or anything like that, just dress them up in dresses as described and I think you'll be fine.  No makeup, but perhaps earrings and necklaces made of gold and expensive gems - diamonds for the queen of diamonds, naturally!

Here is a quick sketch of the don monkey. Ill work on putting him into a card soon!

Also did the jack but its... meh so far.

The first don monkey is an awesome start - cigars instead of scepters!  I love it!  Think also expensive watches/pocketwatches, pinky rings with fat gems, etc.  And tuxedos!  Gotta get them in tuxedos.

For the jacks, just think of the stereotypical '20s mobster, in a fedora and a pinstriped suit.  They aren't wealthy, they don't have expensive jewelry and the like - but they do the boss' bidding, carry out his hits, etc.  Equip them with Tommy guns (look up "Thomson sub-machine gun" on Wikipedia or Google).  Give them black shirts and white neckties, or maybe a white shirt and a red bowtie - they should appear only barely civilized and practically uncomfortable in a suit.  And BULGING with muscle - the real-life foot-soldiers of mob bosses were dumb-looking and slow-witted in some cases, but built like tanks.  Picture arms so thick, they look like they want to burst out of their suit jacket sleeves!

If orangutans are hard to work out, I guess you could simply go with more gorillas.  Perhaps making the dons look a little older with some gray fur would help make them distinctive.

What did you think of the idea of making the diamond pattern on the back appear like stitched leather on old overstuffed couches and chairs?

I keep this up, I'm going to want a designer's credit on your deck!  :))

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Well for giggles, here is the jack. Hes not bad just needs more of an attitude I think. Maybe give him sort of a gut and a attitude. I wouldnt mind giving you guys some recognition btw. Uhhh and for the diamond pattern, I might give it a try.

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
The jack is looking good, how about adding a poorboy hat ( andy cap type of bunnet ), that hat was commen in that era. Just a thought,keep up the good work these cards will look cool when your done, love the theme.