The Discourse Gallery

Author (Read 7028 times)

Re: The Discourse Gallery
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

I just finished a fun Pro Bono job for a friend-of-a-friend. The subject is something I've loved since a kid, Star Wars (no Prequel crap)! It's for the Indiana chapter of the 501st, a group that dresses up as Star Wars characters for a lot of charity events and conventions.

They asked me to design three different logos for their 10th Anniversary so they could all vote on which version to use. I know they're not worried about copyright material so I'm guessing the parent group is associated with Lucasfilms directly or it's something to do with their charity work. All I know is they said I had free reign to redraw any character, vehicle or weapon!

thanks, Randy

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 02:51:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I just finished a fun Pro Bono job for a friend-of-a-friend. The subject is something I've loved since a kid, Star Wars (no Prequel crap)! It's for the Indiana chapter of the 501st, a group that dresses up as Star Wars characters for a lot of charity events and conventions.

They asked me to design three different logos for their 10th Anniversary so they could all vote on which version to use. I know they're not worried about copyright material so I'm guessing the parent group is associated with Lucasfilms directly or it's something to do with their charity work. All I know is they said I had free reign to redraw any character, vehicle or weapon!

thanks, Randy

I'm a Star Wars fan, and more than a little familiar with the 501st Legion!  I have a friend on the NYPD who has  Imperial Forces icon stickers on his riot helmet and a stormtrooper's uniform as well!  They've divided the world into regions called "garrisons" represented by places in the Star Wars Universe - naturally, New York State is Coruscant.  While there may be more urban locales, our state motto (which still appears prominently on out cars' license plates) is "EMPIRE STATE"!

Because they're not making any money and doing charitable work, Lucasfilm is not simply tolerant but supportive of the group's activities.  They've even been known to request member-volunteers to appear in costume at official events like premieres, award ceremonies, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out what "SAOA" stands for.  It's what's written in that "alien alphabet" (better known to fans as Aurebesh) on all three of the designs.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:53:40 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Yeah, I'm not sure what the SAOA type means. It was one of the type requirements that needed on each version.

We used to see these guys dressed up when my wife and I would go to WonderCon in San Francisco (similar to ComicCon).
I didn't know they did so much charity work though until this project. Pretty cool!

thanks, Randy